• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the DualSense make a big difference in Next Gen?

• Yes

Votes: 667 33.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,329 66.6%

• Total voters

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
On it own I dont think it is, but combined with the audio and visuals I really think it could be really something special.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm positive that it will be downplayed as a "gimmick", though I can see it achieving amazing things for immersion. Probably not the single greatest leap, but if you pair it with 3D audio, next-gen VR, high frame rates and no load times - we're looking at some of the most immersive gaming experiences ever created.

It's exciting for sure to see developers so enthusiastic about a controller:

Just read an article about Quantum Error too:

www.psu.com

TeamKill Media On How Quantum Error Makes Use Of The PS5 DualSense Controller - PlayStation Universe

Read up on the latest Quantum Error details, including how the PS5 DualSense will function with the game, plus Tempest audio and ray-tracing.

All sounds interesting at least.

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
On it own I dont think it is, but combined with the audio and visuals I really think it could be really something special.
Absolutely, some of the impressions (like ice/sand surface) described in the WIRED article clearly don't come from hand sensations alone, but the combination of visual-haptic feedback and in some cases audio too.

Did you change your mind?
OP
OP
Shairi

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I'm sorry for shamefully bumping my own thread, but with all the information and impressions about the DualSense that we have received over the week, I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread.

We got a lot of tweets and articles like that:

www.ladbible.com

The PlayStation 5 DualSense Is A Revelation In 'Astro's Playroom'

Sony new PlayStation controller the DuelSense comes alive in Astro's Playroom and it's undeniably the future of gaming.

After a few hours gleefully experiencing what the controller can do in Astro's Playroom, I walk away awed and excited. The next-generation of gaming now doesn't feel like it's in the frame rates or the teraflops or complicated numbers and processing powers; it's in our hands. More so than it's ever been. The DualSense caters to that illusive last bastion of tangible senses that video games have tried but never quite succeeded to woo - touch.

This actricle also touches on what I tried to make a point in the OP. It's seems to be the biggest leap we have yet seen when it comes to the sense of touch.

As many remember this poll was rather one-sided when I made the thread.

screenshot_20201101-1mmk83.jpg

Most people believed that the DualSense would not bring such a big change and that in the end the super fast SSD and RayTracing would be the more impressive Next Gen technologies.

My question is, have you changed your mind now that we've gotten our first impressions on the DualSense? Or are you even more confident now that RayTracing/SSD is the bigger deal?

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. It has been warmly received but the DualSense could have been a PS4 addition in the same way DualSense was a later addition to PSone (along with the dual analog non-shock version) - there is nothing about the haptics that PS5 can only achieve. We have seen HD Rumble fail to so we need to see if the following happens:
  1. Third party controllers support the full haptics
  2. Developers continue to support the features
If the two above dont happen then at least first party should support it. But still, hard to see how its a generational addition over literally any other hardware feature.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Eh, I doubt it will be for me. None of the stuff it does seems all that interesting to me honestly. I'm mostly immune to hype so seeing a lot of people glowing about it doesn't affect me

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Nope. I always believed it would be an enormous leap over other controllers. However the SSD offers more potential for new gaming experiences across all next gen machines.

bakedpony

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I think it will be something that once people get used to it, then plays on a different platform will notice that it is missing and it won't feel quite right.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Until I experience it myself, I can't really say. If it's as good as everyone claims it is, it might be.

for now it's the SSD. Those load times got me giddy

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
What do the people who actually used it know? You can perfectly have an opinion on something without ever having tried it. For example: I can review most games and movies without even playing/watching them just fine.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The haptics in the Dual Sense do seem extremely cool and I think this thread is an interesting thing to revisit after the recent and nearly unanimous praise from previewers.

I now believe it's one of my most anticipated next gen feature sets at this point, but (a) I need to go hands on with it myself first and (b) I can only hope that Sony has provided enough documentation and support to third party developers to take advantage of the Dual Sense even with the Xbox controller lacking the same level of physical feedback fidelity. I thought the basic implementation of rumble triggers on the Xbox One controller was excellent but it feels like something only first party developers took advantage of and that sucks.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's cool that the Xbox controllers are all backwards compatible but the Dualsense seems next gen. The haptics will be game changing if developers support it properly.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think SSDs being the base is way bigger than some extra things in a controller.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
thread title and poll question aren't quite the same. Yes I think it will make a big difference. No I don't think its the biggest leap - thats clearly SSD to me, followed by CPU and GPU. Haptics etc is way last.

However as both consoles are delivering those things pretty close to each other, I think there is the chance it'll be the biggest differentiator between the two platforms. Although possibly that may be SSD as well. It may be enough to sway choice of third party multiplatform games for those that have both consoles (assuming graphical differences are minor)

Arguably an interesting poll question would be : "will the dualsense features affect which platform you'll play multiplatform games on"

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I think this thread might have been made a bit too early. Seeing all the really positive impessions the Dualsense is definitely becoming one of the things i'm most excited about.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still a no, if say every PS5 game used the majority of features then it might have been a maybe, I think Sony being able to force Devs to do that is been and gone with the PS4.

It's always going to be SSD, they were a game changer for PCs many years ago and they will be for gaming and consoles now.

ps3ud0 8)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen some Next Gen games in the last month and we're on the verge of the Xbox event where we'll see even more of them.

And don't get me wrong, games like Ratchet & Clank, Horizon Forbidden West, Project Athia & Co. show what new possibilities we can expect from Next Gen. These games look fantastic and show that the SSD will change the design of games in many ways.

D4Qq1VI.jpg
Project-Athia-scaled.jpg

Nonetheless, I'm starting to get the feeling that the biggest leap into Next Gen will come from the DualSense.

Phil Spencer recently said that graphically, we may not be making the biggest leap in the next gen, but rather the focus will be on immersive experiences. The goal that Sony pursued with the DualSense is to provide an even more immersive experience by finally addressing the sense of touch in a stronger way.

Jim Ryan:

We've always been able to see the graphical jumps the easiest when we've made generational changes. We could always hear the changes in sound design and we will make a big leap in that area again with 3D Audio. The sense of touch has probably made the smallest jumps in the past and was rather neglected.

I think it's gonna be different this time. Comparatively speaking, we could make the biggest leap in this area with the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers in the DualSense and I'm super excited about it.

dualsense33jyb.png

Will the DualSense make a big difference in how next gen games will feel? Will this be the area where we'll see the biggest leap forward in next gen?

So what do you think?

This is my first thread and I apologize for my flawed english.

Probably should have waited until people actually used the controller, the poll will be much different, after seeing comments comparing it to HD rumble lol

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Many journalists and influencers are saying it's the DualSense, but without using it with the PS5 ourselves, it's hard to confirm. This thread is basically too early.

I think the difference compared to the SSD (which seems to be another popular pick) is we've had fast loading before, especially if you've already had a PC with an NVMe SSD etc, so you have an idea of what to expect to some degree, whereas the DualSense seems to be offering something that's more of a departure from anything we've had before.

It's not just rumble, it's such precise and positional haptics and adaptive triggers, that you can supposedly tell the kind of surface your character is walking on just by feel, or replicate the accurate feeling of squeezing a spring, being hit with specific kinds of debris or whatever else. The prospect of having this level of granular and accurate feedback is wild, and genuinely exciting.

Regarding CPU/GPU, I'd argue that sort of upgrade is par for the course each and every gen, whereas we've been stuck with mechanical hard drives and traditional feeling rumble for generations now, hence the difference in those other areas feels a little more noteworthy. This is compounded by the fact that the next-gen games we've seen thus far aren't really indicative of a particularly drastic graphical or technical jump. Hell, I'd argue many of the up-coming next gen games look less impressive than some current-gen games. So beyond the promise of what could be, there's not really much proof is in the pudding so to speak.

Jimbobsmells

Nov 17, 2017
Maybe it's worth thinking about the question slightly differently. Like 'if you could only pick one new feature from these consoles, what would it be?'
When I look at it like that, as much as I love the potential of the new Dual Sense, I would probably pick the SSD advantages.
Don't get me wrong, it seems clear based on reaction so far that once people get this thing in their hands they are going to be blown away by it.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm sorry for shamefully bumping my own thread, but with all the information and impressions about the DualSense that we have received over the week, I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread.

We got a lot of tweets and articles like that:

www.ladbible.com

The PlayStation 5 DualSense Is A Revelation In 'Astro's Playroom'

Sony new PlayStation controller the DuelSense comes alive in Astro's Playroom and it's undeniably the future of gaming.

This actricle also touches on what I tried to make a point in the OP. It's seems to be the biggest leap we have yet seen when it comes to the sense of touch.

As many remember this poll was rather one-sided when I made the thread.

screenshot_20201101-1mmk83.jpg

Most people believed that the DualSense would not bring such a big change and that in the end the super fast SSD and RayTracing would be the more impressive Next Gen technologies.

My question is, have you changed your mind now that we've gotten our first impressions on the DualSense? Or are you even more confident now that RayTracing/SSD is the bigger deal?

Hahaha, I didn't realize this thread is from June so when I cast my vote, I was surprised at the result. I think if you restarted the poll, the results would be a lot more different especially after all those impressions of it came out.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't tried it obviously, but for me it's definitely the loading times. Biggest feature of next that will retroactively make all previous gens down to PS1 a pain to play. All those hours of our lives gone waiting in front of loading screens. Fancy vibrations don't compare to that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Gimmicky stuff sold as a revolution by influencers.

And yet no back paddles which are far more important when it comes to input.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I think the DualSense controller will continue to amaze as the generation develops. I believe the SSD stuff will "feel" important for the first year or so but then people will settle into it's comfort with a certain expectation that things should just be faster and stuff. The thing is, I don't even think your average non-Era gamer understands what can be done for gameplay and worlds and experiences because of the SSD. They might simply attribute those things to the new hardware with beefier CPU/GPU to be honest.

But that controller, if it is supported well and doesn't have hardware faults/technical issues, it will still be praised even in the middle of the generation for the unique things it's doing.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I think if you could poll only people who have actually played with a DualSense the results would be pretty much reversed. Worth doing another poll in a few months time to see how popular opinion has shifted after launch.

DLSS and SSD are going to be the biggest leap.
DLSS is a Nvidia technology, it will not be on next gen consoles.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
For me it is easy. The new consoles have more power than the old ones (Woah what a surprise) and reintroduce minimal load times that we already had before the CD.

The real new thing is the DualSense with it's haptics and Triggers.

So yes for me the Controller is the single most next Gen Hardware.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
It's still clearly the SSD...

But the adaptive triggers if used right (they can even be used to have 2 separate inputs on 1 button) could be a nice step forward as well.

Oct 27, 2017
The more I hear about the DS, the more impressive it seems and I can't wait to try it out for myself. That said, I'm voting no because SSDs as a baseline is going to be huge for the future of the medium.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It will be the biggest differentiator between the two consoles, the SSD coming in second -The UI and other features are yet to be revealed in full-. But overall? SSD and CPU combo.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Gimmicky stuff sold as a revolution by influencers.

And yet no back paddles which are far more important when it comes to input.
You think Rich from Digital Foundry is swept up in the hype? Both John and Rich are in awe of the controller.

If you asked me what I would like from a new controller, it wouldn't be extra buttons.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
It's a huge deal that shouldn't be ignored, but it's also a thing that many people will never experience because of a variety of physical issues (bone & muscle issues, nerve issues, etc.). Everyone who plays a PS5 will get the benefits of its fast loading.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You think Rich from Digital Foundry is swept up in the hype? Both John and Rich are in awe of the controller.

If you asked me what I would like from a new controller, it wouldn't be extra buttons.

Something gimmicky can also be impressive.
It doesn't mean it is revolutionnary.

Also, being able to use action buttons while moving the camera is a far bigger deal when it comes to playability and gameplay than vibrations making you feel sand or stuff like this.

So yeah... I feel like there's a big difference between "wow neat stuff" and "it's the biggest improvement".

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I think if you could poll only people who have actually played with a DualSense the results would be pretty much reversed. Worth doing another poll in a few months time to see how popular opinion has shifted after launch.

DLSS is a Nvidia technology, it will not be on next gen consoles.

Thread asks "NEXT-GENERATION" not "NEXT-GEN CONSOLES"

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Hahaha, I didn't realize this thread is from June so when I cast my vote, I was surprised at the result. I think if you restarted the poll, the results would be a lot more different especially after all those impressions of it came out.

I think the results would be flipped. There's been huge positive buzz for it generally but with the likes of DF and NXGamer also weighing in, this controller's totally the real deal. I'd guess the poll would be about 70% in favour if taken now.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Reminder
ElW6LEBUwAAVah3

It will be a great addition and I'm excited to test them out but it's only first party titles that will take advantage of it and even then they are likely not designed to take full advantage of it either like this Astrobot game.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The more I hear about it the less appealing it is. None of this sounds immersive or whatever. It sounds distracting. I like my controllers to get out of the way of what's on screen and just be as innocuous as possible.

And yes, the biggest leap is SSDs. Not because of load times alone, but because it has been leveraged for features like quick resume. (which is honestly the most next-gen feature of these new consoles)

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
A number of folks who've had hands-on with it have said it's the biggest differentiator they've experienced in terms of 'next-gen-ness', or certainly one of them. We'll see. I don't really think the majority of us can gauge these things until we have some time with the new systems.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Also, being able to use action buttons while moving the camera is a far bigger deal when it comes to playability and gameplay than vibrations making you feel sand or stuff like this.

Haptics and adaptive triggers provide additional feedback to the player, which, in conjunction with the visual feedback, is more information being relayed to the player. It does affect gameplay. Also, there will probably be an add-on for rear buttons much like there is one for the DS4.