• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hahahhahahahahahahaha this is the fucking loser so many of you ran to the polls to vote for. Don't even start with the bullshit were people defend this that Trump isn't doing it, like a lot of people are doing with the children STILL in cages.

I mean, this fucking sucks, but you at least have the president where a few hours of people screaming online are enough to get this walked back, instead of a president who would be sending fundraising emails bragging about it and promising to go even lower next year.

I mean, this fucking sucks, but you at least have the president where a few hours of people screaming online are enough to get this walked back, instead of a president who would be sending fundraising emails bragging about it and promising to go even lower next year.

Very true and I'll 100% give Biden his credit for that. It's just like c'mon this should've been an easy layup on Trump by upping his limit, and instead, it requires people to get pissed off before it's changed.

Dec 12, 2017
That plan talking point just makes it seem like Biden hasn't decided on a number yet. He better follow through and increase it, though.
Hahahhahahahahahahaha this is the fucking loser so many of you ran to the polls to vote for. Don't even start with the bullshit were people defend this that Trump isn't doing it, like a lot of people are doing with the children STILL in cages.
Why does it even require a walk back? Like got damn do the Democrats and Biden have issues with their messaging.
But if that's the bar than George Bush is in the running for greatest president of all-time. The standard for the rest of our lives can't just be "better than Trump". I don't want that to be America for the next 40 years.
Lol this is embarrassing

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Is this rollback or was this just deceptive reporting by the part of the NYT in the first place?

From what I can tell, the only sourcing the NYT story is using comes from the two anonymous department officials. My guess is somebody leaked a potential decision to preemptively shame the administration so they wouldn't renege on that Feb 12 declaration.

Oct 27, 2017
What's embarrassing about wanting Biden to do better?
Based on the actual memo, 15k isn't actually a hard cap. It's just the preliminary number/estimate they think will be able to handle the current "emergency refugee situation". Guess we'll see what happens

That is the most baffling part about all this. Just talk to the people, it isn't that hard.
The White House literally does daily briefings, but news media moves at their own pace

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Very true and I'll 100% give Biden his credit for that. It's just like c'mon this should've been an easy layup on Trump by upping his limit, and instead, it requires people to get pissed off before it's changed.

Yeah, I mean my expectation was always that Biden was a guy who bends to the winds in the party more than someone with any actual ideological commitments, so on 90% of stuff he's honestly exceeded expectations versus where I thought he'd end up, but refugee resettlement was absolutely not the place I expected him to start trying to make concessions to centrists. Just a fucking boneheaded move that there is zero actual constituency for, even if it only lasted a few hours.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Based on the actual memo, 15k isn't actually a hard cap. It's just the preliminary number/estimate they think will be able to handle the current "emergency refugee situation". Guess we'll see what happens

The White House literally does daily briefings, but news media moves at their own pace
There is actually a Biden press conference happening as we speak, even.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it even require a walk back? Like got damn do the Democrats and Biden have issues with their messaging.

But if that's the bar than George Bush is in the running for greatest president of all-time. The standard for the rest of our lives can't just be "better than Trump". I don't want that to be America for the next 40 years.

Then maybe you should learn how American elections work? When it gets down to two people you have the choice to vote for the one who is least bad, or not vote and leave the country up for grabs for assholes who would happily vote for the worst choice. I don't like this moderate bullshit and I can't stand how the usa is ridiculously behind the times and can't find the will to do what's best for the people over money and corporations but if it was a choice between Biden and any GOP member I'd have no issue voting for Biden. There's a difference between wanting what's best and at the same time accepting what the choice currently is, and refusing to pick the better of two bad choices out of spite for not having your fairytale candidate. I'd rather it was berny or AOC running the usa but that wasn't a choice.

To be clear, it's better to have Biden right now who would bow to pressure and raise the numbers after it was clear people were mad than trump who refused to do so and instead enjoyed fighting with everyone and being an asshole about not doing so.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Really, the US should be preparing to take in a record amount of refugees, considering we're about to pull out of Afghanistan.

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
Immigration helps fight inflation which will become a big problem with a "K shaped recovery" with a booming stock market

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the official info, I'm not willing to jump on the Biden admin for this one.

They never officially announced anything, so 'walk back' is a deceptive way to view it.

If all it took was leaking the plan to shame them into changing the plan just a few hours before it was released, then there's no reason to believe that really was the plan as you could very well just shame them after the official announcement.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
even 60000 is pathetic for a country as large as the us. on a per capita basis, it's a fraction of what many european countries admit, even after many european countries considerably reduced through admissions over the past decade

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
A good time to mention that Title 42 is still present and should've been rescinded day 1. That's like THE policy mass denying refugees and immigrants right now.
www.theguardian.com

Haiti deportations soar as Biden administration deploys Trump-era health order

There have been more ‘Title 42’ expulsions in the space of a few weeks than during an entire year of Trump’s administration, report says
The Biden administration has so far deported more Haitians in a few weeks than the Trump administration did in a whole year, with the use of a highly controversial Trump-era public health order denying asylum seekers basic legal rights, according to a new report.

The report, The Invisible Wall, published on Thursday by a coalition of immigrant rights groups, focuses on Title 42, part of the 1944 Public Health Service Act invoked a year ago by the Trump administration as grounds for summary expulsion of migrants because of the supposed health risk they posed during the Covid pandemic.

The Biden team has sought to place a moratorium on deportations of immigrants already in the country (though that moratorium has been blocked by a court order), but it has not stopped Title 42 expulsions of newly arrived migrants. The report found the pace of deportation flights to Haiti in particular had increased dramatically.

And anything that doesn't rescind it is just more words and empty promises.

I think we taxpayers are due from the admin not only receipts here, but the entire decision making process made since the election ended. We deserve the whole timeline down to the day to day meetings and expenditure reports. This isn't just x policy debate, but a legitimate human rights issue, so the T's better be crossed and I's dotted before agreeing with officials, random or known, that all hands are completely tied for the richest country in the history of this planet.

And then after that, I want to know why they recognized a problem but didn't sound the alarm bells to at least start the process of unfucking this inhumane system as soon as possible. Instead, Biden just sends out this bullshit:

That's horrific communication from the executive, especially considering why Haitians are fleeing that country and how the admin is supporting the current regime when they very much don't have to.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
If the threadmarked post is accurate, this thread/the reporting around it is clownshoes and I'll wait for whatever that "final cap" is so I can judge accordingly.

I'm sure whatever happens will be disappointing to someone, but I'm also sure it won't be exactly whatever it is now.

Also, I'm very very Haitian and it always trips me out when I see people talking about/referencing Haiti on this forum, lol.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

::BIDEN INCREASES CAP::

................................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH WHAT A FUCKING LOSER

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
ACLU statement:

The White House has rolled back its earlier statements and now says a determination will be made on May 15. As a candidate, Biden promised humanity and relief for refugees fleeing persecution.

We will be watching to see if President Biden fulfills his promises.

Always watch your public servants.

If the threadmarked post is accurate, this thread/the reporting around it is clownshoes and I'll wait for whatever that "final cap" is so I can judge accordingly.

I'm sure whatever happens will be disappointing to someone, but I'm also sure it won't be exactly whatever it is now.

Also, I'm very very Haitian and it always trips me out when I see people talking about/referencing Haiti on this forum, lol.

I'm Cuban heritage, but I sympathize with the situation there and wish it got more press and focus. We have been fucking up that country since antiquity. And it's another example of the USA having some hand in why refugees from a country might exist in the first place.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did Blinken give the 65k figure back in February, a decision that presumably should've been vetted by multiple inter agencies if the bureaucracy was so broken that *now* they aren't sure if they will be able to accept as many as they thought? And now it's being supposedly going to be walked back in a month's time?

If Biden was going to raise the cap anyway then it begs the question why they committed this unforced error.

Looks like click bait to rile up the left (and it worked on social media and on ERA).

y'all are blue maga for real lmfao. Hold your politicians to a higher standard and exhibit some critical thinking.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so Biden is responsible for everything good and never responsible for anything bad. What a wonderful get out of jail free card that you can't even empirically prove one way or the other.
No, it means resources are finite, time is finite and sometimes people overcommit without looking.

Not great, but not the same as willfully malice and evil. Sometimes people fuck up and we push them to fix it. Doesn't mean Biden admin won't make bad decisions but in this instance I would lend credence to it being one of actual mistake then malice.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like click bait to rile up the left (and it worked on social media and on ERA).

Can we fucking not with at least this issue? We're talking about human rights here that has been a conversation for months now, beyond era and social media. And it's already affected hundreds of thousands of victims.

And plus, not clickbait when the admin itself admits that they fucked it up

www.cnn.com

White House backtracks on refugees decision after criticism and says Biden will announce increased cap by May 15

The White House said Friday President Joe Biden will set a new, increased refugee cap next month after facing a barrage of criticism when officials confirmed to CNN and other outlets that it would remain at the historically low level set by former President Donald Trump.
Claiming the President's directive on refugee allocations "has been the subject of some confusion," Psaki said Friday afternoon that Biden will "set a final, increased refugee cap for the remainder of this fiscal year by May 15."

"Given the decimated refugee admissions program we inherited, and burdens on the Office of Refugee Resettlement, his initial goal of 62,500 seems unlikely," she added.
CNN previously reported the administration was considering stripping restrictions put in place by Trump's presidential determination to allow more refugees to arrive in the US.
The Biden administration has come under increased scrutiny over recent weeks for the delay in signing off on the proposed increase to the refugee ceiling. A group of House Democrats circulated a letter this week urging Biden to sign the presidential determination, saying "lives depend on it." The refugee cap -- often been viewed as a goal to be reached -- must be approved by the President.

"It is deeply disappointing that President Biden has chosen to maintain for the moment the record-low refugee admissions cap of 15,000 set by his predecessor. The rightful erasure of discriminatory admissions categories does not dispense with the need for a higher number of refugees to be admitted," said David Miliband, president and CEO of the International Rescue Committee.
Jake Sullivan, Biden's national security adviser, tweeted that the US needs to "rebuild" the resettlement program for refugees.
"America needs to rebuild our refugee resettlement program. We will use all 15,000 slots under the new Determination and work with Congress on increasing admissions and building back to the numbers to which we've committed," Sullivan tweeted.

But Jenny Yang, the senior vice president of advocacy and policy at World Relief, said resettlement agencies have been preparing for an increase in arrivals. "That is a completely false argument. It's not grounded on any sort of reality," she told CNN. "It's not that they don't have capacity or resources. It's purely a political calculation at this point."

In February, the State Department presented Congress with a plan to expand the 15,000 refugee cap put in place by Trump to allow up to 62,500 refugees to be resettled in the United States. As is normally the process, the State Department and White House had already agreed on the number.

Turns out people get confused when you say 1 thing, and then don't do anything for months as a lot of bad shit keeps happening.

In other words, we shouldn't have to be playing this song and dance with no real numbers or actual A->B->C plan still. Biden admin here dragged their feet, fucked up their messaging and confused the hell out of the world, and we're still getting TODO promises. Come back to the store next month.

It's not good enough.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it means resources are finite, time is finite and sometimes people overcommit without looking.

Not great, but not the same as willfully malice and evil. Sometimes people fuck up and we push them to fix it. Doesn't mean Biden admin won't make bad decisions but in this instance I would lend credence to it being one of actual mistake then malice.
It being willfully malicious or a mistake is irrelevant. Criticisms on the matter still stand

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think it's weird that you arrived at the most charitable conclusion?
In this instance? No; simply because the action committed doesn't match Biden's attitudes, foreign policy or statements. Biden has often mentioned we should take in the needy and help who we can. He has not hid any of those attitudes. All of the sudden deciding we shouldn't take people in doesn't match his past behavior or ideas.

So this being a "trumpian" decision is not fitting this case. I chalk it up to resources/time/people/infrastructure and not actual hate.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somehow Biden gets the credit of quickly responding to criticism yet his cheerleaders are in here disparaging the ones who made the criticism! Is it oochie Wally or is it one mic?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this instance? No; simply because the action committed doesn't match Biden's attitudes, foreign policy or statements. Biden has often mentioned we should take in the needy and help who we can. He has not hid any of those attitudes. All of the sudden deciding we shouldn't take people in doesn't match his past behavior or ideas.

So this being a "trumpian" decision is not fitting this case. I chalk it up to resources/time/people/infrastructure and not actual hate.

material consequences of lived outcomes as a result of policy are the same regardless if the policy makers have "evil intent" or not.

material consequences on lived outcomes as a result of policy are the same regardless if the policy makers have "evil intent" or not.

Being level headed is not cheerleading.

You can't even address the premise of my original post and somehow attribute it to "a lot of things are on fire" but you can't even prove that's true! It's conjecture that you're presenting as "being level headed".

Biden is not yo daddy. Judge him by his actions not by whether or not you think he's evil or not

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Good thing they recognized their error. Clunky situation, but hopeful they correct it. I'd rather them not make mistakes like this, but I'm glad they at least recognize when they do.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
material consequences of lived outcomes as a result of policy are the same regardless if the policy makers have "evil intent" or not.

material consequences on lived outcomes as a result of policy are the same regardless if the policy makers have "evil intent" or not.
Well we don't live in a world of magic so sometimes people can and will make mistakes. I believe in this instance this was one of those times is all.

I'm not so myopic.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guess what he's lifting it next month

apnews.com

After outcry, WH says Biden will lift refugee cap in May

WASHINGTON (AP) — Facing swift blowback from allies and aid groups, the White House on Friday said President Joe Biden plans to lift his predecessor’s historically low cap on refugees by next month, after initially moving only to expand the eligibility criteria for resettlements.

good on everyone who made their criticism heard and shame on anyone who blindly jumped to the defense of biden

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Context and intent always matter.

Not once have I said don't criticize or push. Don't do both sides/this is just trump nonsense is all. Because of the above statement alone.
forgive me for being more concerned with the outcomes these policy decisions will have on already oppressed and marginalized people than I am with the Biden's reputation being sullied with Trump comparisons.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can't even address the premise of my original post and somehow attribute it to "a lot of things are on fire" but you can't even prove that's true! It's conjecture that you're presenting as "being level headed".

Biden is not yo daddy. Judge him by his actions not by whether or not you think he's evil or not
-Global Pandemic
-Two forever wars
-Global Recession caused by said pandemic
-Climate Change
-Immigration catastrophe caused by asshole
-Infrastructure and civil worker apparatus in flames due to same said asshole
-Foreign relations on fire
-Domestic relations on fire
-Several Agencies gutted.

Tell me, what more could actually be on fire besides every building in the country for this to count?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
-Global Pandemic
-Two forever wars
-Global Recession caused by said pandemic
-Climate Change
-Immigration catastrophe caused by asshole
-Infrastructure and civil worker apparatus in flames due to same said asshole
-Foreign relations on fire
-Domestic relations on fire
-Several Agencies gutted.

Tell me, what more could actually be on fire besides every building in the country for this to count?

this is pathetic. Demand more

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Somehow Biden gets the credit of quickly responding to criticism yet his cheerleaders are in here disparaging the ones who made the criticism! Is it oochie Wally or is it one mic?
I have never understood -
a) what's the harm in demanding more from politicians
b) what's the benefit in defending them

But Americans just love our politicians. Not all of them, everyone hates some of them, but the way people here love their faves is sure something, especially considering how little the government does for people here.