• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
You would think people would've realized by now the ultra ripped personal-trainer powered Robert Liefield 20-pack ab buff rippedness of the actors in these things don't make the movies any better.

Hugh Jackman: mega shredded in the last few mainline X films. Didn't matter, they mega sucked.
Henry Cavill: Man of Steel? Sucked.
Buff Afleck: Batman vs. Superman played by the two most ripped superhero actors ever to grace the silver screen? Can't go wrong? Nope; sucked.

Just give me some normal heroes who don't need to progressively dehydrate for 3 days just in case they get their shirt ripped so their muscles really pop.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You would think people would've realized by now the ultra ripped personal-trainer powered Robert Liefield 20-pack ab buff rippedness of the actors in these things don't make the movies any better.

Hugh Jackman: mega shredded in the last few mainline X films. Didn't matter, they mega sucked.
Henry Cavill: Man of Steel? Sucked.
Buff Afleck: Batman vs. Superman played by the two most ripped superhero actors ever to grace the silver screen? Can't go wrong? Nope; sucked.

Just give me some normal heroes who don't need to progressively dehydrate for 3 days just in case they get their shirt ripped so their muscles really pop.

Their physical appearance can't save a script.

Say what you want, but Affleck and Cavill were the best on-screen Batman and Superman we've ever had.

The way a superhero looks can't save a movie, but if it doesn't look right it can definately ruin it.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their physical appearance can't save a script.

Say what you want, but Affleck and Cavill were the best on-screen Batman and Superman we've ever had.

The way a superhero looks can't save a movie, but if it doesn't look right it can definately ruin it.
Facts.

Affleck batman was the best looking batman ever imo. If he looked skin and bones it wouldnt of worked for me with those fight scenes.

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Because none of the actors inspire me as their comic book likeness. Except maybe for gordon and maybe the riddler, im just not feeling it.

We shall see.

I never really understand these takes. It's like when fan-casts pick actors who "look like" the characters without any consideration to acting ability.

Additionally, there is no one look for these characters, they've been presented in many different ways across all media for years.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I never really understand these takes. It's like when fan-casts pick actors who "look like" the characters without any consideration to acting ability.

Additionally, there is no one look for these characters, they've been presented in many different ways across all media for years.
It also has nothing to do with the quality of the script which is far more important than something as superficial as a comic accurate appearance.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can say the same for any character sure. But when the costume or the likeness is off the usual framework it just doesnt sit well.

Like arnold playing Mr. Freeze. Or the new Dr. Manhattan.

I love the show but wtf is this...
8994275.jpg

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can say the same for any character sure. But when the costume or the likeness is off the usual framework it just doesnt sit well.

Like arnold playing Mr. Freeze. Or the new Dr. Manhattan.

I love the show but wtf is this...
A more than good representation of a character, perfectly explained in the story. Also, awesome spoiler for someone that hasn't seen the show, good job.

Just because a character does not look like a comic book panel or the source medium description does not mean that it's a bad adaptation of the character. I thought Heath Ledger closed that weird way of thinking 10 years ago.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A more than good representation of a character, perfectly explained in the story. Also, awesome spoiler for someone that hasn't seen the show, good job.

Just because a character does not look like a comic book panel or the source medium description does not mean that it's a bad adaptation of the character. I thought Heath Ledger closed that weird way of thinking 10 years ago.
Like i said, we will see. Your opinion is your opinion.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Matt Reeves did great on the Apes films so looking forward to this one.

The one big red flag is that there are 4 villains in that cast list (Catwoman, Falcone, Riddler and Penguin). Too many villains can always spoil the broth.

I'll rule out Catwoman because she jumps between Villain and Anti-Hero often enough that I believe she'll be an Anti-Hero in this film. I'm hoping Riddler is like Scarecrow in the Nolan Trilogy where he shows up occassionally, sets a trap or challenge for Batman to overcome, but isn't fully beaten in the film and there is a mystery surrounding who the Riddler is and what he even wants (That's probably the best way to handle Riddler). So that'll leave Falcone and Penguin, and you could get away with those 2 as the main bad guys for the first entry. I could see that working perhaps. Just gotta see the path the actually go down.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we setting Affleck as the physical benchmark for Pattinson? He was a great representation of a late stage older comic book Batman

But Bale was still not as built and was perfectly fine. I have more faith in Pattinson more so then when they first announced it.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017

The one big red flag is that there are 4 villains in that cast list (Catwoman, Falcone, Riddler and Penguin). Too many villains can always spoil the broth.

I'll rule out Catwoman because she jumps between Villain and Anti-Hero often enough that I believe she'll be an Anti-Hero in this film. I'm hoping Riddler is like Scarecrow in the Nolan Trilogy where he shows up occassionally, sets a trap or challenge for Batman to overcome, but isn't fully beaten in the film and there is a mystery surrounding who the Riddler is and what he even wants (That's probably the best way to handle Riddler). So that'll leave Falcone and Penguin, and you could get away with those 2 as the main bad guys for the first entry. I could see that working perhaps. Just gotta see the path the actually go down.
They could go the GP&D Route and have Riddler as a member of the Police before going full Riddler like in Gotham

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK

he has already said he put in more villains because he is setting up for his trilogy so they won't be done in one film he setting up for future

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Reeves have said they're leaning more in the noir/greatest detective direction, so I wouldn't expect any of those characters to be the villain of the movie. They'll just be key players in Gotham, obstacles and red herrings that help or hinder the investigation: the femme fatale, the information broker, the crime boss, the etc

louie

Oct 29, 2017
No one said he wasn't. He trains in BJJ so I would expect him to be in shape.
"Proper physique" on the other hand likely means noticeably defined with some mass. In the shot posted above he's fine, above average. Forearms/arms give it away. Also keep in mind we're coming from Affleck so expectations could be skewed :P

This, surprisingly, give me confidence. I'll be super happy with a batman that has actual BJJ and fighting skills, and can demonstrate them.

I've a bad taste left over from that dimly-lit hypertrophy montage with Affleck's Batman. A waste of my life.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have far more faith in Matt Reeves and Pattinson than I ever did Snyder and Affleck. Batman could be in a wheel chair and they'd still probably give us a better movie than another musclebound brute version with anger problems.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do people not realise actors work out before scenes to look more buff just for that moment. He is a big guy and reasonbly fit.

rs_600x600-180206054120-600.Robert-Pattinson-Shirtless-JR-020618.jpg

Nakadai

Jan 10, 2018
Was hoping Harvey Dent was going to be in this... Oh well, still sounds very interesting, and I am hopeful.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Likewise. I much prefer a leaner Batman anyway.

Yeah, I felt like Ben looked fine when they showed him working out. He fit the "old Batman" look but I thought the suit itself was ridiculous. He looked like he could barely move. I just don't like that kind of look for Batman.

Much preferred the Nolan-Bale Batman suit and look.

Because none of the actors inspire me as their comic book likeness. Except maybe for gordon and maybe the riddler, im just not feeling it.

We shall see.

It will come down to the script and director, both of which I have tons of confidence in. I have very high expectations that this movie will be as good as the Nolan Batman movies if not better. In Reeves I trust!

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Ugh, I hate this sentiment. It can spoil the broth if you do the whole "show their origin story which is now closely intertwined with the protagonist's, and then kill them at the end of the movie" nonsense, but it's totally doable if you treat them as characters rather than "the driving force of the plot and final boss of the movie" or whatever.

Part of Batman's appeal (to me, anyway), is his familiarity with his villains, and the complex ecosystem of Gotham. They're all people going about their lives, doing their own things, but because of their line of work, their paths often overlap. One of my problems with the earlier Batman movies is that they treat costumed crime as an aberration, rather than the norm.

The audience is familiar with the characters - they don't need a lot of setup. You can have Batman be looking for a lead on a plot he's uncovered, so he goes to rough up Penguin for answers. For Batman fans it's a neat "Hey, there's Penguin!" moment. For someone who's somehow managed to not be exposed to Penguin in the last eighty-odd years, he could just be some weird gangster, and that's fine.

If you need to have him miss a meeting for plot reasons, explain it by having him run into Two-Face trying to rob a bank on the way there or whatever.

Not every villain needs to be the focus - just have them be people going about their (weird) lives.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
People act like the concept of good ensemble movies is foreign. Did "too many characters" ruin Murder on the Orient Express? Knives out? Expand your thinking beyond comic book movies.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
People act like the concept of good ensemble movies is foreign. Did "too many characters" ruin Murder on the Orient Express? Knives out? Expand your thinking beyond comic book movies.

A weird thing to say considering this is a Comic Book movie.

A good ensemble can work, but DC hasn't done a good ensemble film for awhile now. See BvS, see Suicide Squad, see Justice League. They've been working better when they've been keeping their cast list smaller in numbers.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
A weird thing to say considering this is a Comic Book movie.

A good ensemble can work, but DC hasn't done a good ensemble film for awhile now. See BvS, see Suicide Squad, see Justice League. They've been working better when they've been keeping their cast list smaller in numbers.

those movies didn't have good, proven filmmakers at the helm, this one does, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. "DC" doesnt make these movies.

Also those movies weren't bad because they were ensemble movies. They were just bad ensemble movies. Poorly written, poorly directed ensemble movies. That's not inherent to the format. "Comic book movies" is not a genre. Batman will probably be an action movie with espionage/detective/mystery/noir elements. And movies like that with multiple significant characters being introduced are made all the time, some of them even being really good. If anything the fact that Penguin and Catwoman are generally known quantities could work in the film makers' favor.

Last edited:

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

I agree with you, but to be fair, those were one-and-done smaller budget films.

It's a bit different when you're talking about the studios biggest cash cow, and trying to set up at least a trilogy of films, and potentially rebooting an entire cinematic universe. Executives become a lot more involved throughout the entire process and that is where things usually go wrong.

Matt Reeves is talented and knows what he's doing, the worry has always been more about studio interference for me.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to make you feel better, everyone was up in arms when Heath was cast. Matt Reeves is a great Director.
I wasnt up in arms about heath. The joker is a much more organic character to me than batman and penguin.

Like i said, we shall see. I like all the actors being cast. I just dont vibe with their specific casting.

Im a comic book fan so i hope for the best.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone complaining about his physique just reads like "I've only seen one piece of Batman fiction and it was Batman versus Superman" and I feel so sorry for them