• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
THE LEGACY OF THE BAT
intro-1559932957.jpg
batman_returns_christmas.jpg

images
5edaf986d1113f84c7a7ce3dce60792a.png

timthumb.php
63BDFB9B-D7DD-48F5-A777-EDE08D86AB4A.jpeg

the-dark-knight-rises-gotham-rooftop.jpg
intro-import.webp

Screen-Shot-2017-07-21-at-1.27.30-PM.png
Mask1.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-24%2Bat%2B9.33.15%2BAM.png
86aa8aaec53a160c-600x338.jpg

vlcsnap-000014.jpg

DCFilmsIntro-001.jpg

CONTINUES...
the-batman.jpg

Production Company: Warner Bros Pictures, 6th & Idaho, Dylan Clark Productions, DC Films
Distributor: Warner Bros
Written by: Matt Reeves & Peter Craig
Directed by: Matt Reeves

Starring: Robert Pattinson, Zoë Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard, Andy Serkis, Colin Farrell

Plot: "During his second year of fighting crime, Batman pursues the Riddler, a serial killer who targets elite Gotham City citizens. He uncovers corruption that connects to his own family during the investigation, and is forced to make new allies to catch the Riddler and bring the corrupt to justice."

NOTE: This movie is not connected to the DCEU films, or any other previous Batman film. It is newcomer friendly. You do not need to have watched any other Batman media in order to watch this film.

Release Date: Available in most regions worldwide on March 4th, 2022. Please note that some areas of the world will have it a few days before hand. Please check your local theater for the specific date.

TRAILERS:

REVIEW THREAD: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...bargo-lifts-28th-feb-12pm-est-9am-pst.557413/

OFFICIAL SOUNDTRACK: https://youtu.be/VlZkpUUM-Rk

Not interested in watching it in the theaters? This movie will be available on April 19th only on
hbo-max.png

Thanks for reading! And Enjoy The Movie!

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I have afternoon tickets for Saturday. Very excited for this one.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
The full soundtrack's up on YouTube. Might be worth adding to the OP if you can include any more media links ContractHolder ?

I've given it a few listens. Giacchino always seems to deliver for Reeves' films. My favourites of the new tracks so far:
- Crossing the Feline
- Escaped Crusader
- Highway to the Anger Zone
- All's Well That Ends Farewell
- Sonata in Darkness

Oh, I can probably fit it in. I just wasn't sure if that was something everyone wanted in the OP.

Give me one moment. I'll add it asap

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I love Se7en. I love Nior style Batman. I feel like this movie was made specifically for me.

Ephemeris

Oct 25, 2017
Missed out on Tuesday in Austin - but managed to get tickets for Wednesday night.

I'm sooo ready for this

Ephemeris

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just my browser or is one of the images in the first post (should be Batman Begins) not loading?

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just my browser or is one of the images in the first post (should be Batman Begins) not loading?

It's still rendering for me, but if anyone else says it's not, I'll change the photo.

Also, if there are too many images in the op, please let me know! Sadly I don't have the graphic design skills others have for OTs. So I wanted to try and make up for that. But if it's too much, I get it.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Tickets booked for Friday. I have not been to the movies since the start of the pandemic, I'm so hyped.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Tix booked for Thursday night…saw more than 1 comparison to BTAS and that's all I needed for the hype train to be put into overdrive. Can't wait!

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
A question though - hasnt a prober theatrical poster been release for this? I mean a classic one with all names and stuff, I've only ever seen that orange one in the op and the grey question mark ones.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
A question though - hasnt a prober theatrical poster been release for this? I mean a classic one with all names and stuff, I've only ever seen that orange one in the op and the grey question mark ones.

As far as I can tell, this is the latest poster. If there's an updated one, please let me know. I'll gladly update the OP

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it (in Korea). Really liked the detective take. Definitely a tad too long, was holding my bladder towards the end.

Though it was inevitable that there would have a big showdown/finale towards the end, it felt a bit weak in comparison to the rest of the movie and too similar to the boat scene in TDK.

Otherwise, everything else was super fun. Robert Pattinson was a pretty good batman.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
I wrote a long-lish review that might have minor spoilers. Mostly character arcs. So I'm spoiler tagging some stuff.

Well this is it. We finally have the definitive portrayal of Batman on film. The most common critique about every Batman portrayal is he's an action hero. He's only in costume for the action scenes or an interaction with another character. We don't see him throughout the film in costume. He doesn't act as a detective. This film looks to rectify that critique. The film is called The Batman and actually treats the title like gospel.

I have to commend Reeves for committing to the film's title. Bruce is in costume/character for majority of his runtime. It's the opposite of Nolan's trilogy. Nolan wanted to explore the psyche of Bruce Wayne and treat Bats as the mask. Pattinson has his mask glued to his face. There's only a handful of scenes where he's out of costume. This plays into his character arc too.

Bruce Wayne's Portrayal:
Bruce is a socially awkward recluse. He listens to Nirvana while he broods in his cave as he solves mysteries. He doesn't go out in public unless it's to help with his Batman legend. He doesn't have the charismatic playboy disguise yet. Bruce kind of takes a backseat as Batman really gets to shine.

Batman's Portrayal:
Batman is the embodiment of fear. When it hits night, criminals drop what they're doing and run from the shadows. The sound in this film is astounding and I bring this up because when Batman is going after criminals, his footsteps are thunderous and booming. When he's with the police, his footsteps are still heavy, almost like he's sending a warning to them. When he's with Gordon or Catwoman, they're quieter. It's like Batman is purposely walking heavier to strike more fear. It something I wish the film would've kept doing as it gets lost as the film moves on.

He's very much like Batman from Arkham Origins. He's just starting out and doesn't know who he is as a vigilante. He believes fear and rage will save Gotham from the oppression the city suffers from. This isn't Nolan Batman who immediately knew he needed to be a symbol to give Gotham hope. He has to learn his methods aren't working. They're only making things worse. He's just an angry, young man playing dress up while he's blind to the real issues in Gotham. This leads to great character arc throughout the film's runtime.

Pattinson embodies the character. He's full of rage, anger, and vengeance. When he's not Batman, he looks like he can't wait to suit up again. He does this little character tic that I loved. He treats his eyes like a wild animal. They're constantly on edge. He looks like he's trying to fight the urge to blink. Like he must see everything and can't miss a literal second. Reeves makes a choice to constantly have close ups to Bats face and this only brings more attention to his crazed eyes.

You can't have a Batman story without a strong supporting cast and the same applies here. Zoe Kravitz is charismatic as Selina Kyle. Colin Farrell is unrecognizable as Penguin. Paul Dano was great as Riddler, but I found as the film went on, he was trying too hard to be crazy. He's howling and screaming like he's desperate to top prior performances. I don't think this is his best psychotic character performance. Gordon and Alfred are kind of just there. I was really hoping for more out of them.

The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. On a technical level, this might be the best looking superhero film filmed yet. How they use lighting and shadows creates this operatic yet noir-esque filter over everything. The city of Gotham is just as much of a character due to its set design. It's depressing and run-down. The decay and rot permeate throughout everything. Even in daylight the city is dark and gloomy. It almost never stops raining. The sound design is orgasmic. It's close to Dune-levels. See this in IMAX or Dolby if you can.

As for the negatives, I found the big mystery wasn't anything groundbreaking, especially as it's your standard noir twists. If you know Batman and the city of Gotham, nothing will surprise you when the reveals start coming. You might even be a little bored just because the reveals are plot points that other Batman stories have already explored. The third act was a little disappointing. Riddler's final puzzle in his grand plan was exactly what you expect from a superhero film. I was hoping for a little more, but it sets up potential storylines for a sequel.

I think what might be the film's biggest issue, or it's biggest strength, is that it takes so many elements from every form of Batman media. It's the Nolan films, The Animated Series, the Arkham franchise, the Telltale series, and comics like The Long Halloween, Hush, and some New 52 arcs all rolled into one three-hour long film. Some might find this derivative as it doesn't have a complete identity of its own. Others will love this as it mixes the most beloved Batman elements together.

It's a must watch, in my opinion. It's the definitive portrayal of Batman on screen, but I don't know if's the best Batman film if that makes sense.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Seeing this in IMAX tomorrow with tempered expectations, hope it's good.

I take time off from more Elden ringering to see this.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FYI OP, you misspelled Robert Pattinson's name, it's not Patterson.
Got my tickets for Imax next week, can't wait. Hope it's not too boring, I could never finish Seven.

GambitPool

Nov 27, 2020
FYI OP, you misspelled Robert Pattinson's name, it's not Patterson.
Got my tickets for Imax next week, can't wait. Hope it's not too boring, I could never finish Seven.
There's a lot more action than you expect. Instead of a few really long action sequences, they have multiple shorter ones spread out throughout the film. Really helps in between the detective noir stuff.

The car chase is the longest action scene and it's an audio dream. The Batmobile sounds like a demon lol.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember the last time I was buzzing about a movie like this. Seeing it tonight, can't wait.