Oct 27, 2017
After the absurdity of Bane, I also felt there were sound mixing issues with Tom Hardy in Mad Max when I saw it in theatre. I remember being able to hear his isolated dialogue and mouth noises over the top of all that engine noise, action, and music and that it really took me out of the movie.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Just saw Tenet, as a non native speaker. Imagine me trying to hear shit...

Last edited:
OP
OP
chalkitdown

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
It's nice to see professional critics call out this shit.

Kermode was highly critical of the sound mix in his review yesterday.

Korey at DoubleToasted got frustrated with it, also.

Just saw Tenet, as a non native speaker. Image me triying to hear shit...
My wife was the same! (Also non-native speaker)

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
TFW you realise that watching Tenet on your phone with subtitles will be a better experience than watching it in the cinema without them.

Nolan can spin on it

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Tenet and holy hell I did not expect this to be this bad.

As I said previously in this thread, I was mostly fine with his previous work. But it has gotten worse and worse over time and that Dunkirk not having much dialogue kind of helped it. But Tenet? Dear God where do I begin? There's a heavy background music playing during the most mundane of conversations, characters mumbling etc. Then there are the masks, there have been plenty other movies that do "radio sound" that's perfectly audible...but not here.

You can't make a movie with complex concept and make the dialogue inaudible. And to those who would say it's intentional etc, what was the point of having the exposition if we aren't meant to understand it? Hah. Ithink there was one conversation in the whole movie that was perfectly audible and that one had no background music.

Apart from this the movie also kind of has bad editing, there was one conversation I remember where the whole scene between just two people sitting on a table had like 40-50 cuts because they'd switch the camera anytime the person would speak...even if it was like just two words. It's just distracting and makes things hard to follow. Though by the end of that conversation it got a bit better.

This isn't just about bad sound mixing, but also bad sound design. You just don't pick heavy music for exposition heavy dialogue. Interstellar had bad sound mixing as the dialogue was too quiet and music too loud, but atleast the dialogue itself was audible (outside of McConaughey's trademark mumbling). But this one has bad mixing on top of bad sound design.

And oh I saw it in IMAX, so it isn't even a case of "he makes his films for IMAX". You watch something from Scorsese and you realise just how much better he is at when it comes to dialogue. Hell even Michael Bay despite his explosion heavy movies, has audible dialogues in his movies.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The music is mixed too loud in almost every one of his films. He also refuses to use Atmos or DTS: X.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Some scenes in Tenet made me think of this video while watching.

"I know they're speaking English, I understand some of these words..."

Haha good example with the Youtube video. I - too - shared the same experience ever since The Dark Knight and I couldn't believe it still is a problem when I started to watch Tenet at the cinema. It instinctly came as a reminder "Why can't I understand some of the dialog- oh wait, this is a Nolan film. Goddammit again??"