nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Alright, alright, I know what you're thinking, but I made another aggregate site. I made this one mostly for myself just to have the data compiled, because I've always wondered who would win not counting so many no name sites, and I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder or anything, but figured I could post the info here in case anyone was curious like me. I got all the info myself for no ballot stuffing, I (mostly) stuck to a strict criteria to prevent biases although I love both games and don't feel biased anyways, and that criteria was that I only counted publications from TGA's jury and/or Opencritic. With, like I said, a few exceptions of publications too big to ignore (TIME) and actual awards shows (TGAs, Golden Joystick Awards). And then I didn't allow lists from one person (AngryJoe) or platform exclusive sites, even if on Opencritic. I could've missed some, so feel free to inform me.

With that in mind, here you go. https://gotymediachoice.blogspot.com/

As you can see, it's a very close race but with God of War slightly ahead, 44 to 38. Spider-Man is a distant 3rd with 5 and everything else is 2 or lower. Also I spent like 2 hours of my life doing this, so please feel free to use this lol.

You should do this with reader voted picks included. Ultimately reader picks are just as valid as critics, and if anything give a much broader perspective on opinion.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
You should do this with reader voted picks included. Ultimately reader picks are just as valid as critics, and if anything give a much broader perspective on opinion.
I was thinking of including readers' choices with a certain cutoff of votes needed, but couldn't decide on a number. I think I will just allow the Readers' Choices for all the sites allowed, that seems fair. I'll just do it later since I spent 2 hours of my life doing that haha.

Era will be allowed as well.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Alright, alright, I know what you're thinking, but I made another aggregate site. I made this one mostly for myself just to have the data compiled, because I've always wondered who would win not counting so many no name sites, and I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder or anything, but figured I could post the info here in case anyone was curious like me. I got all the info myself for no ballot stuffing, I (mostly) stuck to a strict criteria to prevent biases although I love both games and don't feel biased anyways, and that criteria was that I only counted publications from TGA's jury and/or Opencritic. With, like I said, a few exceptions of publications too big to ignore (TIME) and actual awards shows (TGAs, Golden Joystick Awards). And then I didn't allow lists from one person (AngryJoe) or platform exclusive sites, even if on Opencritic. I could've missed some, so feel free to inform me.

As you can see, it's a very close race but with God of War slightly ahead, 44 to 38. Spider-Man is a distant 3rd with 5 and everything else is 2 or lower. Also I spent like 2 hours of my life doing this, so please feel free to use this lol.

Added Readers' Choices for the sites listed :)

https://gotymediachoice.blogspot.com/

As always, anyone can feel free to point out any I may have missed!

God of War extended it's lead slightly, but it's still a very close 54 to 46. Celeste and MH World each got one too.

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
Added Readers' Choices for the sites listed :)

https://gotymediachoice.blogspot.com/

As always, anyone can feel free to point out any I may have missed!

God of War extended it's lead slightly, but it's still a very close 54 to 46. Celeste and MH World each got one too.
Since you're doing something, just for your info, goomba stomp, what culture and nerdist that you added for gow are not listed on open critic.

And you missed sector.sk and digital trends for red dead. It's listed on open critic.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Since you're doing something, just for your info, goomba stomp, what culture and nerdist that you added for gow are not listed on open critic.

And you missed sector.sk and digital trends for red dead. It's listed on open critic.
"Publications clearly popular or important enough to count are allowed even if it's not on the jury or Opencritic"
https://opencritic.com/outlet/419/goomba-stomp

I think you should make a list,so RDR2 can win.
My mistake,you said you don't care who win.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019

I'm aware that What Culture and Nerdist are not, but I'm including websites that are not if they're popular enough, just like WatchMojo for RDR2 for example. Goomba stomp I could've sworn I got off OpenCritic when looking at GoW/RDR 2 reviews but I'll check again.

And thanks for the other two. I'm only one man and definitely missed a lot lol, I've been steadily adding them in. Feel free to give me as many as possible on OC or in jury. If not give me a case why its big enough to be on there. Cheers.

Ezio2048

Jan 2, 2019
I'm aware that What Culture and Nerdist are not, but I'm including websites that are not if they're popular enough, just like WatchMojo for RDR2 for example. Goomba stomp I could've sworn I got off OpenCritic when looking at GoW/RDR 2 reviews but I'll check again.

And thanks for the other two. I'm only one man and definitely missed a lot lol, I've been steadily adding them in. Feel free to give me as many as possible on OC or in jury. If not give me a case why its big enough to be on there. Cheers.
Welcome. Didn't know about goomba stomp, my bad. I know you have given popularity as a measure. But it's a subjective opinion, not perfectly objective. Sure you can do what you feel. But wanna try something different then be just objective. Don't want to follow Metacritic, don't. But stick to just tga jury and open critic. Exceptions keep on adding. Just my thought. You do what you see fit. Thank you.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
That's a great idea.

Do 2010 please.

Thanks. Sure, longer you go back the less the sample size, but I can do it. It's one of the ones I'm most interested in, alongside 2016 and 2013. Think all of those are really close once you trim the fat.

Welcome. Didn't know about goomba stomp, my bad. I know you have given popularity as a measure. But it's a subjective opinion, not perfectly objective. Sure you can do what you feel. But wanna try something different then be just objective. Don't want to follow Metacritic, don't. But stick to just tga jury and open critic. Exceptions keep on adding. Just my thought. You do what you see fit. Thank you.

Well I'm trying to keep it as objective as possible, by saying "clearly popular enough" but hey you're right, still can be subjective. A site I've seen a ton may be "clearly" popular enough to me but someone else could've never heard of it. I'll consider.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
SlayerSaint why Opencritic but not Metacritic? Usually everyone seems to focus on Metacritic around here.
It gives me both a larger sample size and I find their selections much better and more consistent. If there's a site on Metacritic that's some huge snub on Opencritic then I'm open to putting it on there. And I did include Metacritic itself at the least.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Do we really have another blog now? What a mess this thread is.
It's really not that complicated, it's a site I made specifically for myself to have access to the data but other people are more than welcome to use it as well. That's all. You're can complain about it all you want though. :) A large reason why the thread became a mess is arguments involving yourself, me or my blog have no part in it.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not that complicated, it's a site I made specifically for myself to have access to the data but other people are more than welcome to use it as well. That's all. You're can complain about it all you want though. :) A large reason why the thread became a mess is arguments involving yourself, me or my blog have no part in it.
It had far more to do with then just me my friend. There was crap going down even when I wasn't around which is why quite a few people in this thread were banned. Also I was getting blamed for stuff that I wasn't even doing like that one guy who claimed I was trying to block awards for RDR2 being posted when if you read what I said the issue was the same things getting posted over and over and over. But yeah feel free to try to put it all on me lol.

Jimmyfenix

Oct 25, 2017
God of War - 160

The Critics' Picks - 107

The Readers' Picks - 53

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 116

The Critics' Picks - 88

The Readers' Picks - 28

Marvel's Spider-Man - 16

The Critics' Picks - 16

The Readers' Picks -

Celeste - 7

Fortnite Battle Royale - 4

Return of the Obra Dinn - 4

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 4

Tetris Effect - 4

Monster Hunter: World - 3

Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 2

Florence - 2

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - 1

Frostpunk - 1

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - 1

Subnautica - 1

Two Point Hospital - 1

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - 1

11-11: Memories Retold - 1

GTA V also had 160

R* can't catch a break

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018

These lists are far more useful and interesting to me.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, a gap of 44 now!
I don't see how anyone can dispute that God of War is 2018 Game of the Year as selected by the press and fans.

What a console generation this has been for Sony. It is the best slate of exclusives they have ever had IMO.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God of War - 160

The Critics' Picks - 107

The Readers' Picks - 53

The Critics' Picks - 88

The Readers' Picks - 28

Marvel's Spider-Man - 16

The Critics' Picks - 16

The Readers' Picks - 0
Wrap it up. It's over. GoW is the clear winner.
Yep. Pretty save to say it's over. God of War leading with 46 awards. It's a clear victory and well deserved.

God of War - 162

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1 away from Uncharted 4, GoW could have been the most awarded game in history if RDR2 didn't come out this year, still crazy how much it get with this competition.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Soon we'll know the Resetera GOTY list, voting has ended. :D I think I have a pretty good idea which the top 3 will be...

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Speaking of GOTYs, I missed the deadline for ResetEra, oh well
Had this whole write-up planned for Spidey, but as long as it finishes top 3, I'm cool

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Damn, 2018 had some good games. I need to play Celeste and Obra Dinn

Also I love all of the personal aggregation sites flying around.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
1 away from Uncharted 4, GoW could have been the most awarded game in history if RDR2 didn't come out this year, still crazy how much it get with this competition.

How often do games get released when they have GOTY competition within the same publisher. God of War, Spider-Man, SOTC, Astrobot and Tetris Effect (partially) is a great output. I'd imagine last year with the Switch would be similar (BOTW, Mario, Splatoon).

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Damn, 2018 had some good games. I need to play Celeste and Obra Dinn

Also I love all of the personal aggregation sites flying around.
It's just 2, mine and the gotylist guy. Gotylist guy seems like he made his specifically for a RDR 2 agenda and to keep it in the lead, unless you magically think he came up with 50 more RDR 2 awards while around the same GoW awards as gotypicks.

Mine I didn't make with an agenda or desire to compete with gotypicks, just to have that data for myself and anyone else who would want to use it, to see who wins and by what margin with a stricter limit on the sites. God of War is still winning by a decent margin. Not trying to steal my dude at gotypicks' thunder haha.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
i would not be surprised if spiderman has actually beaten red dead. it seemed to be doing really good in here.
I wouldn't be surprised either, but I think RDR 2 has it. Maybe by less than 150 though. Feel like I've seen a lot more top 3s for RDR 2 at least, but Spidey might get carried by just being fun to most people and being on more lists, even if lower on average.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just 2, mine and the gotylist guy. Gotylist guy seems like he made his specifically for a RDR 2 agenda and to keep it in the lead, unless you magically think he came up with 50 more RDR 2 awards while around the same GoW awards as gotypicks.

Mine I didn't make with an agenda or desire to compete with gotypicks, just to have that data for myself and anyone else who would want to use it, to see who wins and by what margin with a stricter limit on the sites. God of War is still winning by a decent margin. Not trying to steal my dude at gotypicks' thunder haha.
It's not just the fact that he came up with 50 more RDR2 awards but he also created some "Other 2018" awards page and took a bunch of awards God of War won on the GOTYblog and put them on that page so that they wouldn't count towards the total on the main page. It's so clear they have an agenda. Then they put a donate button on their site as if anyone wants to give them money. That gotyblog person has been doing this for 15+ years and sure doesn't have no donate thing on their site. What a scummy move.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Era"s GOTY voting finally ends today. Or has it already ended? It's time to wrap this up. God of War is already far ahead overall. Time to take the crown.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
do we know how long will it take? i assume the bot makes it much easier to make the official list.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
do we know how long will it take? i assume the bot makes it much easier to make the official list.
Not sure. GAF's GOTY ended on the 17th and the results were up on 18th or 19th but theirs was run a bit different and probably also didn't have near as many people voting. I don't think it will be long though.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

You forgot the best one lol
https://angie22-super-legit-and-only-goty-list-blog-that-matters.webnode.com/

Done.
For now on this is the Goty blog to be used. Because is the only blog that fits my tastes.

It's Assassin's Creed Odyssey
You should put a donation link at the top, fam. Get in on the gravy train

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
The person here who made that gotylist site actually had the nerve to put a donate button at the top of the page.
Wait what?!?
2dv2vs4.jpg

Donations for what? To put links on a blog? Is this a joke?