• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
And if I'm reading the Stream stats correctly, it isn't in the top 100 games.

This seems... bad.

Is it even remotely possible for this game to saved at this point and not have development halted in 2022? I find it very hard to imagine any scenario where that happens. The "road map" they released is certainly not going to bring players back. The Wakanda expansion and Black Panther doesn't seem to be until the end of the year. There is a good chance that Spider-Man gets pushed to early 2022.

It doesn't seem that people want to play this game in general. The slow updates and delayed content (which is due to both COVID and, clearly, their own development issues) certainly doesn't help but I don't think the interest is even there.

Am I wrong? Is there any possible way that this game can be turned around?

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I really don't see how it can be saved.

OYtC6Yv.png

For reference: Avenger's 24h peak after a big updated was 2,629 players. Cyberpunk, a single-player only game notorious for its bugs and misleading marketing that got no post-release content at all, peaked at 18,646 in the past 24h.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
The game wanted to have a good single player campaign but also a nice GaaS content for people to keep playing it and in the end it didn't had any of it. I think they should just call it a day and move on to another project.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just hope this and Anthem put publishers off from green lighting more of these boring ass grindathon GaaS games

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It's dead. Nowhere to be found in the Xbox Too 50 Most Played, but that wouldn't take this update into account until next week.

Once Spider-Man comes out because of contracts this game is probably going on ice like Anthem.

Avengers is on sale right now and on Xbox it's below all 3 Tomb Raiders, Stubbs the Zombie, Steep, and Cyberpunk in the Top Paid section.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
F2P and Crossplay are the only chance it has left imo. But I doubt they'd invest more - so I think it's dead.

If the Spiderman deal is really what killed crossplay, it might go down as the worst exclusive deal a publisher has ever taken.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
More of these games, and really any game that has MP, needs crossplay. You'll have such a more healthier community that's interacting with each other than 3-5 smaller communities struggling to play games.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Y'all really need to quit taking steam numbers as the be-all of the health of a game. The majority of this game's population is on Playstation.
While PC is obviously not the main platform for the game, I don't think you can completely disregard the fact that the numbers in a platform as big as Steam dropped so hard so fast and showed absolutely no sign of improving even after multiple updates (and sales).

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
If the Spiderman deal is really what killed crossplay, it might go down as the worst exclusive deal a publisher has ever taken.
Eh, it probably still worked out ok for both parties. Square got a likely decent chunk of guaranteed money for a game that turned out to be a turd, and Sony got the user base skewed heavily towards their platform and got another opportunity to pretend like they own the Spiderman IP.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Also pointing out, it's not a watchable game. There isn't any content that is worth watching someone play, nothing high level or interesting.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
The fact that Spider-Man was announced for PlayStation and he's not even on the year one roadmap says a lot about this game's chances.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Honestly, I wish it doesn't go F2P. Just give me a deep discount so that I can play the campaign. They can kill the server later but let the campaign intact.

Also pointing out, it's not a watchable game. There isn't any content that is worth watching someone play, nothing high level or interesting.
But cool superheroes with cool moves, from the franchise with highest grossing movies of all times.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
i mean it's still missing the big, community drawing modes. larger group and raid stuff. as a solo player, personally i dont care about those things... but undoubtedly those are the things that draw metrics like twitch viewership and can permeate outwardly into other things. it's definitely not too late for them to add stuff like that, and it's coming. i'd say it's still very much in the 'if you build it, they will come' phase, but sure, building has been slow going. that said, there's a lot of eagerness for this game to seemingly fail. saying things like there's no interest is just, i think, categorically and wildly untrue. it's one of the biggest IPs in the world, there's without a shadow of a doubt interest.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hawkeye was never gonna be all that big of a deal. And for people saying "I can't believe they thought Hawkeye was going to save this game." They didn't. DLC is done well before the actual game releases. In their minds, Avengers had a perfect launch and they thought, "Hawkeye's a fun addition to an existing game that works well". And also ideally for them Hawkeye releases in November with Black Panther clearly scheduled for December.

Between fixing all the bugs and working from home, new content both stopped briefly and had to slow down incredibly. So Kate Bishop is kicked from October to December, Hawkeye is moved from November to March, and Black Panther seems like he's not dropping until the Summer.

The best thing that could happen for this game if they're going to keep it around, is for them to get back in their offices so they can increase the speed at which they work, and to fix the PC version so it's not a POS compared to the console versions. And then add crossplay.

After that, they really need to make playing this game co-op have a point. Completing missions needs to mean something.

Trigger