• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
OP, you're not going to convince an American audience — that's been indoctrinated with Bork's take on anti-trust — that anything that doesn't directly and immediately harm consumers is a problem.
Unfortunately, you're right and the responses here are proof of that.

Stadia has has the potential to have a hugely negative impact on the gaming industry.

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
I was thinking about this today with Pixel phones. I'm guessing Google would run Stadia at a loss for at least the first five years, but would be able to sell and promote so many other products, but maybe violate anti-trust laws if they kept things exclusive.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, you're right and the responses here are proof of that.

Stadia has has the potential to have a hugely negative impact on the gaming industry.
Too many people here were hoping that Google would "disrupt" the games industry. If they are successful with Stadia they will, in a way that everyone will regret.

Demileto

Apr 23, 2018
Here's a potential scenario for you guys to analyze:

1. Sony or Microsoft has marketing rights for an upcoming game, like, say, DOOM Eternal.
2. They upload a new trailer for the game on their YouTube accounts.
3. Google, however, sneakily adds a "Buy on Stadia" button on this trailer page, benefitting from someone else's marketing.

Question: can Google do this, despite Microsoft or Sony having the marketing rights? Or this is a gray area still untested in courts?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It would still have to plug into Chromium browsers. Which is open-source. So no.
Web developers are only developing sites towards Chrome and Safari, after the long fought battle to get more standard HTML 5 support Google is just encouraging devs to ignore that entirely. It is why MS Edge is going over to Chromium in the first place, that team is just tired of having to get their browser to pretend it is Chrome even though the browser supports web standards better than Chrome. Google would change something in YouTube to intentionally hamper YouTube in non-Webkit/Blink browsers and the Edge team had to struggle to figure out what was changed.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if the fact they are basically tying something into Chrome that has nothing to do with web browsing count as anti-competitive in the EU? Its kind of like a version of making your browser the OS default. If you want to use all the features of Stadia like Youtube integration, Chrome has to be your browser.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
This is fairly concerning. Right now if you look up a movie (I did Shaun of the Dead) and go to "Watch Movie" on search results, it will bring up a slew of digital storefronts to watch it (rent not buy).

The first is YouTube (Google owned) and then it goes to Amazon, iTunes, etc. Sure they're all the same price ($3.99 for me in the US) but that's still an advantage due to the fact that they control the search results.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

1. Sony or Microsoft has marketing rights for an upcoming game, like, say, DOOM Eternal.
3. Google, however, sneakily adds a "Buy on Stadia" button on this trailer page, benefitting from someone else's marketing.

Question: can Google do this, despite Microsoft or Sony having the marketing rights? Or this is a gray area still untested in courts?
I doubt anyone could answer this with reasonable accuracy right now. It's an interesting question.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not like MS is great at this either but still got a chuckle

Screenshot_20190320-175352.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Desert Land
This is fairly concerning. Right now if you look up a movie (I did Shaun of the Dead) and go to "Watch Movie" on search results, it will bring up a slew of digital storefronts to watch it (rent not buy).

The first is YouTube (Google owned) and then it goes to Amazon, iTunes, etc. Sure they're all the same price ($3.99 for me in the US) but that's still an advantage due to the fact that they control the search results.
Of course it is, that is not anti trust it's there service.

I searched the Nintendo eshop and not a single PS4 or Xbox game came up, it was shocking.

Feb 3, 2018
Do you

A.) Understand Anti Trust at all?
B.) Realise that there are competitors to Google, who by the way, do not block you from using on their products?

I'm guessing you're a little pissed about the Disney acquisition of Fox as well then ?

I am pissed about the Disney acquisition because we are seeing this all over entertainment and the anti trust laws in the US are a joke.

I am very concerned how google will handle this and I hope to god the video game market is strong enough to provide solid competition.

Google like disney and like Amazon is another behemoth consolidating their power without any restrictions whatsoever and that should concern everybody.

Also big mergers like this never lead to anything good it leads to less competition and makes it hard for anybody else to compete.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The OP should have beeen about potential antitrust issues with Google entering the gaming space. But talking about issues like it's a fact in a future market that nobody has entered yet is just silly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The OP should have beeen about potential antitrust issues with Google entering the gaming space. But talking about issues like it's a fact in a future market that nobody has entered yet is just silly.
True. This is all potential. But the way they were discussing the implementation in the presentation makes it seem predatory.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
OP makes some good points. Google is also now on their 3rd multi-billion fine with EU.

There are anti-trust concerns already in EU, there are anti-trust concerns in US amongst many of 2020 Democratic challengers. Google is toeing a very dangerous line here.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
Hadn't thought about this. I'm more worried about the controller's built-in microphone and Google's track record with hording (and then selling) any and all personal data. This is scary too, though.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
I had some of the same thoughts as the OP early on in the conference. The buy on Stadia concept from a YouTube video especially.

Considering how ubiquitous Google search and YouTube are, the possibilities for Google to abuse this are high.

Well, I expect big EU fines coming up either way.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
I mean, Microsoft got yanked over and over again for embedding Internet Explorer into windows.

The least Google should be forced to do is always display several (or all) marketplaces at the same time when clicking on 'buy'.
There's definitely a huge conflict of interest on youtube acting both as publicization mechanism AND storefront.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All during GiantBombs Live stream they referred to this as fascinating but terrifying.

Window

Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't even have to be Google themselves who advertise the game on Stadia. Given the focus on state sharing and engagement with Youtube personalities, channel presenters might be the ones who're always linking Stadia games in their videos (or directly in th video like annotations). I think this is only potentially a problem if they don't open this feature up for other streaming platforms though.

3Hl5VUx.jpg

Yes, what would that mean? If they could simply advertise and sell you a product through hyperlink, without hardware, simply using your browser.
I don't this is a comparable situation. YouTube is a video streaming platform for user made and big studio produced content. Them advertising video content on their platform makes sense. However Stadia is a totally different independent platform for gaming which uses video streaming as the delivery mechanism. It offers a different service and exists in a different market. It becomes a form of vertical integration/exclusive dealing. Offering the ability to seamlessly get into a game you were watching a video of is very cool and something I'm looking forward to but there is potential for anti competitive behaviour here. I don't think much will come of it though. Lots of tech companies are vertically integrated but nothing seems to have been done about it.

Last edited:

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I suspect that they'll have to turn the Play Now button into an advertisement at some point in the future to head off these claims.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You do realize that the publishers and developers don't give a shit so long as you buy the game right? If you're worried about antitrust, use Bing, or better yet don't click the ad when Google tries to sell you something.