subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Also, you notice how you never really see young people living in these areas? it's either people who grew up there and still think they're cool or it's people who moved there cause they think it's cool.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
These lists need to take in median income of residents and net worth. A lot would seem like shit if you saw what it costs. it wouldn't be cool. It'd be dreadful. especially for renters who think living there is awesome.
Seems more of a travel article than anything else.

Also, you notice how you never really see young people living in these areas? it's either people who grew up there and still think they're cool or it's people who moved there cause they think it's cool.

too expensive lol.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Amsterdam Noord? Hohoho. I guess it has been gentrifying for the past ten years, but it still seems like people go to live because the rest is prohibitively expensive and not because they want to be stuck in Noord.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Nørrebro is a nice place. Lots of great bars, restaurants and outside areas.

I wouldn't want to live there though, too many people for me.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Chelsea, NYC was never cool. Only think you can argue that when it was still cheap to live enough to be a gay mecca maybe it got some flavor, but at that same time so was West Village with actual long time queer institutions with better bars and restaurants

Only cool thing about Chelsea is the chain restaurant Dallas BBQ's outpost there where the food is absolutely trash, but if you throw in later hours, obscenely large sugary alcoholic drinks, and a clientele hyped up to party leads to entertaining as heck people watching.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I live right by Andersonville, Chicago. Walk over there all the time. It is pretty cool. This whole area is rad.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The picked Chelsea? Out of all of NYC?

What a fucking disgusting joke. An aggressively awful spot to be in.

Does anyone even fucking live there anymore after COVID?

chaostrophy

Oct 27, 2017
Andersonville is cool. Can't have a perfect day there without a visit to Brown Elephant though. Glad they mentioned Hopleaf, IMO it's the best bar in the city. I think of Logan Square as being the "coolest" neighborhood in Chicago but I guess this stuff is really subjective.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No Shinokitazawa seems like an odd omission to me. It's been a few years but that was a great neighborhood in Tokyo.

Soulful Crow

Oct 8, 2020
Chicago, IL
Andersonville!? LOL. I guess it's better than them saying Wrigleyville, but my goodness that tells you how gentrified Chi has become overall.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
LOL.

Did you see the plan your trip sections under each hood?

It's a damn travel article, my dude.
Again: who travels to Vancouver to see Mount Pleasant? It is a gen x boomer article disguised as travel. Nobody cares about Mount Pleasant in the Greater Vancouver Area. Commerical Drive is way more interesting, but it ain't all money there yet.

Travel articles, almost always, are just ways for nimbys, wealth inheritors, etc to just wank about their neighborhoods a lot of the time. Mount Pleasant will never be the cool place to visit in Vancouver. What are you gonna do? See that small strip of Farmer's Market. Oh wait, that Farmer's Market that allows dogs? Lol

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Again: who travels to Vancouver to see Mount Pleasant? It is a gen x boomer article disguised as travel. Nobody cares about Mount Pleasant in the Greater Vancouver Area. Commerical Drive is way more interesting, but it ain't all money there yet.

Travel articles, almost always, are just ways for nimbys, wealth inheritors, etc to just wank about their neighborhoods a lot of the time. Mount Pleasant will never be the cool place to visit in Vancouver. What are you gonna do? See that small strip of Farmer's Market. Oh wait, that Farmer's Market that allows dogs? Lol

i think you're being overly harsh on mount pleasant. I live in the area and it does have a great vibe. Seeing the patios outside all the bars along main this year was great. The breweries are awesome and having so many so close to downtown feels pretty unique.

I agree commercial has just as good, if not a better, a claim to be on this list but mount pleasant is a great neighbourhood

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mount Pleasant within the top 50, IMO, invalidates this entire thing. It's hipster boomer gen x paradise full of nimbys.

I saw Mount Pleasant on the list and thought "Really? Bullshit." It does have some amazing views though.

mount-pleasant.png

I think the only reason Mount Pleasant made it on there is because Dude Chilling Park is the coolest park name.

dude.jpg

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Terrible terrible list.
Like even ignoring which parts of the world are over-represented and which are under-represented (then answer may surprise you! nah just kidding it really wouldn't), is there a single neighborhood that is widely considered even the coolest neighborhood in its city?

Last edited:

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
i think you're being overly harsh on mount pleasant. I live in the area and it does have a great vibe. Seeing the patios outside all the bars along main this year was great. The breweries are awesome and having so many so close to downtown feels pretty unique.

I agree commercial has just as good, if not a better, a claim to be on this list but mount pleasant is a great neighbourhood
Ya same thoughts here from a long time resident (2012). I have enjoyed the mural fest over the last bunch of years as well. I love traveling back alleys and seeing them. Its has really changed the feel of the neighbourbood since I moved here. I do worry we are going to get a lot more towers like that disgusting thing on the corner with the Skytrain starting. Theres no way the city isn't going to approve more of them, especially with lists like these popping up. That will ruin the neighbourhood.

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
I haven't been to any of those places so I'll reserve my judgment of the actual neighborhoods, but you'd be hard pressed to find less appealing photos if you tried for some of those places (Chelsea might be the worst, but some others are bad too).

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Weird. I used to live in Andersonville until pretty recently. Not really sure how it's #2, but hello former neighbors! I hope you're all doing well, especially with Winter coming.

Andersonville Protip(s): Svea closes extremely early, but is easily the best diner around. They do a fantastic Swedish breakfast. Not sure what they're doing because of COVID, but that's one of the few places I really miss. Middle East Bakery and Taste of Lebanon also rule. Sometimes if you are lucky, Uncharted Books will have an extremely cute dog just chilling in it.

andersonville is ass tho lmaooo

literally a bunch of over priced vintage resellers + white gay mens galore. outside of the few poc owned businesses over here, this place is a solid 6/10 at best.

This is an extremely fair assessment though lmao

Also, Wrigleyville is hell on earth.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Amsterdam Noord? Hohoho. I guess it has been gentrifying for the past ten years, but it still seems like people go to live because the rest is prohibitively expensive and not because they want to be stuck in Noord.

For real, what is even there other than slightly cheaper housing and NDSM?

"a laid-back, entrepreneurial hub for those looking to escape the scrum of the centre".

These are just random words.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Pleasant was pretty cool this summer. The patios outside going up Main Street past broadway have definitely made it look much more nicer.

In terms of post covid Vancouver its certainly a nicer place to hang than say Gastown or Yaletown which for me feel dead in terms of atmosphere. Plus the crowds that hang in both those places aren't my scene.

Of course Commercial has been really rad the patios have 100% made it a better place to hang out.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Chelsea is a terrible pick from NYC and I can't believe they put fucking Brickell in Miami on the list.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The amount of meh neighbors ahead of Madrid is mind blowing. Then again this list seems to heavily prioritize having a coffee and a croissant as you head out for lunch in the time you got available until dinner time. Not much in the sense of actually going places for anything other than eating (for which Madrid is pretty damn great too anyway, but whatever!).

Last edited:

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017

Hi neighbor x2!

I think Andersonville's a nice neighborhood, and really love Hopleaf, Big Jones, Little Bad Wolf, and First Slice. It really is interesting how it's kind of converted from 'Girlstown' half a decade ago to something that doesn't represent that at all now. I was just thinking of an article that documented/highlighted this:

www.dnainfo.com

Saying Goodbye To 'Girlstown': Andersonville's Lesbian Population Shrinks

Andersonville was once a hub for lesbian couples, but is it still?

and realized it was dated 2016... Wild that it's been that long since I've read it.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Andersonville...? Out of all the Chicago neighborhoods? Lol