Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Releasing on Steam (and GOG) on April 7th.

Played the demo, it was pretty good, and the unique art-style and setting really help to make this one stand out.

Inno2d

Mar 14, 2018
Looking forward to Heart Forth Alicia but yeah kinda crazy how long its been since the kickstarter launched.
Ofcourse the dev team is tiny, mainly one guy, but in comparison Hollow Knight was made by mainly two guys and was kickstarted a year or so after Heart Forth Alicia and launched in 2017 with a ton of content and to critical acclaim.
Personally I prefer the pixel art of Heart Forth Alicia but yeah, maybe it was just a little to ambitious.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I prefer the pixel art of Heart Forth Alicia but yeah, maybe it was just a little to ambitious.

It's also had a clear case of feature creep. Or improvement creep. The original vision of the game could have been released but then they switched it to higher resolution, widescreen, then had to go back and redesign some areas, then even more time had passed so even more upgrades could be done.

Not that I'm criticizing this, I can wait an eternity. There are a million games I have to play after all.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
Just looking.... wow I pledge $120 for Heart Forth Alicia. $100 - Physical Copy of Heart Forth, Alicia's Talebook . Also I see the $20 extra pledge was for copies on all the consoles. C'mon Wii U!

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I hope they deliver with all that delay.
Been a lot of good metroidvanias with less dev time since then.

What I recall is that the developer had health issues way back when so he couldn't go hard on developing the game anymore. Also scope creep became an issue as well. I think one of the KS updates show how large some of the areas have become before and after.

I'm thinking of games like Crosscode and Owlboy that were in development for almost a decade, but seemed to turn out well. I'm hoping this is the case too.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm looking for my next (console) Metroidvania. I recently completed Hollow Knight and Carrion. What would you suggest? I have all the consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm looking for my next (console) Metroidvania. I recently completed Hollow Knight and Carrion. What would you suggest? I have all the consoles.
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Will also echo Blasphemous, Guacamelee series, Ori series, Axiom Verge and Bloodstained.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, I also just started Axiom Verge.

Don;t love Axoim Verge's controls, unfortunately. BRotN didnt click.

Steam World Dig 2
Guacamelee 1 and 2
Ori 1 and 2

SWD2 is SO good, love that one. Played Guac 1 and really enjoyed it, is 2 just as good or better?

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

Will also echo Blasphemous, Guacamelee series, Ori series, Axiom Verge and Bloodstained.

Which is better, Monster Boy or Blasphemous?

Oct 25, 2017
Don;t love Axoim Verge's controls, unfortunately. BRotN didnt click.

SWD2 is SO good, love that one. Played Guac 1 and really enjoyed it, is 2 just as good or better?

Which is better, Monster Boy or Blasphemous?
Blasphemous is a bit more punishing and methodical, in the Souls vein. Monster Boy is more "fun," which is not to say it's a total cakewalk. There some tough areas. I was struck by how densely packed it was with clever puzzles and things to find. I liked Blasphemous but I loved Monster Boy. There are surely people who feel the opposite, however.

Guacamelee 2 didn't hit for me as hard as the first, but in an objective sense it's probably at least as good.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Blasphemous is a bit more punishing and methodical, in the Souls vein. Monster Boy is more "fun," which is not to say it's a total cakewalk. There some tough areas. I was struck by how densely packed it was with clever puzzles and things to find. I liked Blasphemous but I loved Monster Boy. There are surely people who feel the opposite, however.

Guacamelee 2 didn't hit for me as hard as the first, but in an objective sense it's probably at least as good.

Agree with everything here.

I'd say Guaca 2 is harder than 1 but only if you go for the optional challenges and 100% stuff (I didn't). To me it's still as good though, just less surprising.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Is this the catch all metroidvania recommendation thread now, cause I'd like to know if Salt and Sanctuary is actually worth my time. I've bounced off it once or twice but I'm still intrigued.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the catch all metroidvania recommendation thread now, cause I'd like to know if Salt and Sanctuary is actually worth my time. I've bounced off it once or twice but I'm still intrigued.

Depends what you're after. It is absolutely on the Souls side of things so if you enjoy a slow pace, learning an area to remember points of interest yourself, and building a character to fit your playstyle I'd say to give it another go.

Personally I enjoyed almost all of it, there was just those horrific Spindlebeasts that threatened to put me off the game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Found this dev commentary for Grime, that showcases the game's main unique mechanic.

Along with the setting, this could be a very interesting premise. Hopefully there'll be a demo this summer (I say that about like half the upcoming metroidvania games, :p )

dear speaker

Apr 16, 2020
I'm not sure how much of a metroidvania Smelter actually is, but it looks fucking good regardless and is almost upon us:

store.steampowered.com

Smelter on Steam

You are Eve, fresh out of Eden and armed with a living suit of armor, Smelter. Explore a dangerous new world, battle its bizarre denizens and expand your empire in a desperate journey to find Adam.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm not sure how much of a metroidvania Smelter actually is, but it looks fucking good regardless and is almost upon us:

store.steampowered.com

Smelter on Steam

You are Eve, fresh out of Eden and armed with a living suit of armor, Smelter. Explore a dangerous new world, battle its bizarre denizens and expand your empire in a desperate journey to find Adam.
It's mostly ActRaiser, but with platforming bits and equipment/move unlocks. They don't come from beating enemies, as much as solving platforming challenges + time trials to unlock ores you use to buy upgrades in the overworld (where the strategy layer gives you access to more dungeons). The demo is pretty expansive and gives a good idea of the gameplay loop.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Akatori, Grime, and more- demos to be featured in Steam's June festival

store.steampowered.com

Steam Store

Steam is the ultimate destination for playing, discussing, and creating games.

Jun 1, 2018
Upland
It's mostly ActRaiser, but with platforming bits and equipment/move unlocks. They don't come from beating enemies, as much as solving platforming challenges + time trials to unlock ores you use to buy upgrades in the overworld (where the strategy layer gives you access to more dungeons). The demo is pretty expansive and gives a good idea of the gameplay loop.

Grabbed it on the Switch, and it's been pretty fun so far. I was worried it was going to be super heavy on the hard trials and focus more on the element of super hard platforming but glad to see there's different trial objectives.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Endless Memories devs teasing their next game:

Another screenshot for this unannounced title:

E0e8y9xXEAgJ2Mb

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Guardian of Lore is releasing tomorrow. There's a new updated demo available on Steam, and the game will be coming to consoles at a later time, since it was signed by the publisher Top Hat.

Fearmonium is out of Thursday: