• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MachRc

Oct 6, 2020
The only thing that makes this non-draining of time and mind to setup for hundreds of roms from half a dozen consoles that we may never play past 10 minutes :), is that i can remotely do it off my phone via remote play on my phone ( i brought my old one s controller),...while sitting here at work. Not on my couch, or during evening living room time or tkaing care of children time.

Surprised the hotkey to get back into menu from game has to be enabled and set by end user. Everything is working pretty decent, the ppsspp works REALLY good.
the "upscaler" fxaa and all that jazz on that app is phenomenal. been googling "best [insert console for retroarch] games" the last two days.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
I did that at 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x

Still had the pixel jumping

This is probably due to the original ps2 games being interlaced (so render 50 percent on half the lines, then the other 50 percent on the lines undersneath). This gives some games that impression that the image is moving ever so slightly up and down.

If a game was originally 480i,then you will probably get the pixel shift. If it was 480p (progressive scan) then you won't.

Of course on a crt screen this isn't really noticeable due to the low resolution. But it is on a glorious 4k telly.

Its a problem that exists also on pcsx2 on a pc, with no workaround to my knowledge. Upscaling resolution won't fix it.

The best way to make it less obvious (but you can still see it) is to use a scan line filter (I don't have an xbox so don't know if that's an option) but it is a dirty workaround for pcs.

If you can find a scan line filter that scales perfectly, then the shifting of the next frame up or down is hidden behind a scan line, so its not as noticeable because you only see the image not covered by a scanline, so it appears normal to the eye.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
1Occpi8.png
What's this game?

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
weird, can you change the xbox resolution?
I have the same problem. With the one game I tried, Skygunner. Are you running 1440p/120hz? Maybe it's the TV's overscan?
4k 120 LG C9 OLED
Yeah maybe I'll try taking down tv res

This is probably due to the original ps2 games being interlaced (so render 50 percent on half the lines, then the other 50 percent on the lines undersneath). This gives some games that impression that the image is moving ever so slightly up and down.

If a game was originally 480i,then you will probably get the pixel shift. If it was 480p (progressive scan) then you won't.

Of course on a crt screen this isn't really noticeable due to the low resolution. But it is on a glorious 4k telly.

Its a problem that exists also on pcsx2 on a pc, with no workaround to my knowledge. Upscaling resolution won't fix it.

The best way to make it less obvious (but you can still see it) is to use a scan line filter (I don't have an xbox so don't know if that's an option) but it is a dirty workaround for pcs.

If you can find a scan line filter that scales perfectly, then the shifting of the next frame up or down is hidden behind a scan line, so its not as noticeable because you only see the image not covered by a scanline, so it appears normal to the eye.

Damn that totally makes sense but also sucks

I tried Champions of Norrath and NFL Street for reference. I'd like to try something one of yall is playing that works so I can compare. What's a common one to try?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I downloaded the retail version of RetroArch and the PSP emulator to both my old One X and the Series X last night. I only played around on the old One X version so all these comments only apply to using an Xbox ONE X.

- The FTF program works pretty flawlessly, though it took me a while to figure out the folder structure. I'm using Filezilla over a wired gigabit connection and speeds were very reasonable for transferring data.

- The standalone PSP emulator works pretty well on the One X at a 3X scale. I only tested one title but it ran well. It might go higher but I felt 3X was good enough.

- RetroArch took quite a bit of fiddling to get where I wanted it. I prefer the XMB interface so I had fix that and then the icons were all missing so I had to fix that too but after this it seemed to work pretty well. Again this was on a ONE X internal HDD. Some notes:

- I tried NES, SNES, and Genesis and all ran well, even with a CRT filter applied.
- File operations, as some have mentioned, are VERY SLOW on this. Expect to wait for several seconds at a black screen for even tiny games to load. Once they load they work fine. Hopefully this can be sorted in the future.
- Since the Xbox button now brings up the XB guide instead of RetroArch menu in order to quit the game or change filters, you have to go in and define a new menu hotkey combo for RA. I used L3 + R3.
- In my experience, if you have your games in .ZIPs, RetroArch will unzip them but doesn't erase the game file afterwards, making having them .zipped pointless.
- Many changes I made in RetroArch did not take affect until I closed it out and restarted it. They didn't take effect immediately like the PC version. So if you make a change and it doesn't seem to have worked, close RA and restart it.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Buy My Files Explorer - Microsoft Store

The folder in the Retail Retroarch you're going to be looking for starts with 52269 and has Retrospection in the title.

Sorry to bug you with this, just wondering if I could get some clarification after watching this video. I too have the Retail Version. As far as I can tell, except for my red questions, this is the step-by-step to follow?

First, buy My Files Explorer from the Xbox Store. Then...

Open My Files Explorer:
  1. Click three dots next to "This Device"
  2. Click Add Folder To Library
  3. Click Xbox symbol, then back button to click "Select" - Press A
  4. Click "Isolated Storage"
  5. Below the address bar, click "Packages"
  6. Click 1e4... for Retroarch
  7. Click Local State
...Not sure what to actually do next to add Dreamcast Bios? Does any of this have to be done if I don't plan to add Dreamcast?

For External/USB Hard Drive:
  1. Click three dots next to "This Device"
  2. Click Add Folder To Library
  3. Click the External Hard drive symbol, then back button to "Select" - Press A
  4. Click E:
  5. All of the ROMS will show
...he then talks about how you can just copy/move these files to "where you want." If I want them on my internal XBOX storage, uh, where exactly do I paste them? Is it into the 52269 folder you mention?

Sorry for being annoying OCD about this - I'm just stoked on the thought of this and don't want to mess around with things until I know I'm doing it right.

Last edited:

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
So it seems ign are running videos/ articles on this now. I wonder how long before the hammer comes down on this. It's making to much noise for my liking. I don't want to end up losing this lol

MachRc

Oct 6, 2020
you have to read this very thread.. from the beginning

www.resetera.com

The $299 XBOX Series S is an Emulation Beast | MVG Microsoft

Fill this out to get white listed (he's doing it once a day). https://forms.gle/WCqB1fMXhsGx1MzU8 Then go here using the edge browser on your Xbox to download retroactive (retroarch). It also has a separate PSP one and an FTP client. You can download all if you want...

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone able to test FreeSync/VRR and see how well that works? Don't have my 144hz monitor anymore.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
So it seems ign are running videos/ articles on this now. I wonder how long before the hammer comes down on this. It's making to much noise for my liking. I don't want to end up losing this lol
I think it's way too much work (either in retail or dev) to get your average person doing this. I am hopeful microsoft just lets it run its course in terms of catchy headlines and then we are left alone

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have Super Mario Galaxy 1 and/or 2 running smoothly on a Series X? For me it's working perfectly but it randomly gets spikes of stutter that impact the audio and the framerate, it's rather random too, it can be when you're talking to a character or just standing still but it happens. I'm in retail mode btw.

I've tried CPU 20% I hope there are simple tweaks to make this work. OR they're working on it.

Please share any tweaks to make the games run smoothly on a Series X.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I think it's way too much work (either in retail or dev) to get your average person doing this. I am hopeful microsoft just lets it run its course in terms of catchy headlines and then we are left alone

Yeah, after the first week of whitelisting, I think the dev confirmed he'd done that for under 2000 people.

I guess with more coverage it could have gotten bigger, but it's probably not what most folks are interested in doing.

Gatsbits

Oct 28, 2018
I'm having a pretty bad experience with Viewtiful Joe. Did you change any settings and which device are you playing on?

playing on Xbox Series X. US version with resolution X3. From the memory card screen , it run fulll speed without any 1 frame drop. full 60fps , NO inputlag. its perfect. Need to check back my settings.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
I've got Retroarch running in dev mode and have loaded the core for the Saturn. How do I transfer the bios files across? Are there any good guides for specifically using the Series X/S Retroarch yet?

Smilator

Apr 18, 2019
Except all this retro arch thingy, can somebody tell me what series s can do in terms of native retro compatibility?
I mean (sorry for the stupid question I'm out of the whole MS loop) if I insert an old Xbox or Xbox 360 game, it runs the actual disk?

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Monkey Ball on GC looks a glitchy mess (with indeed no monkeys or balls visible). Tried a couple of the renderers. Is this the same for others?

Status
Not open for further replies.