• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I love sandos so much wish we had more options for them in Sydney. Even 7-Eleven sandos in Japan look amazing, check this out:

Austriacus

Oct 25, 2017
Living without having easy access to Kobe/Miyazaki beef has been a struggle since i tried them.
Most meat has a meh taste for me now.
Maybe i should just move to japan for two months and stuff myself with it till i get tired of the taste or something (its probably not gona work)

Nephitamine

Oct 27, 2017
Skip the bread and just give me that pure wagyu goodness.

One of my favorite meals ever was being able to sample A5 wagyu beef from 4 different prefectures. I was in heaven. The cost of the meal brought me back down to Earth though.

Ampersands

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is Wagyu beef always fried? I would've thought they prepared it the same way you do any other steak. Isn't it just a higher grade of beef?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Wait, is Wagyu beef always fried? I would've thought they prepared it the same way you do any other steak. Isn't it just a higher grade of beef?
No but if you are putting shit in a sandwich, doing it katsu style is the easiest way. Drier on the outside and less messy. It's a Japanese thing, their definition of a sandwich is not the American definition of a sandwich (ie: a Philly Cheesesteak).

Fwiw, I think katsu for beef is a huge waste too. Never liked it.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
Oh wow, I've been walking by this place to and from work and was wondering what the hell it was. Considering many sandwiches and salads in the area run $12 to $15, the low end sandwich doesn't seem too outlandish. Maybe I'll get it one day ... <_<

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Better than the all the fake 'Kobe' beef sold in high end restaurants for far more and was 100% scam all the time (no exaggeration).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna try it.

Also, whenever I read "sandos" these days, I immediately think about Asap Ferg lol

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
800x-1.jpg

And people wonder why so many americans die of cancer. fucking cook your meat.
Are you suggesting this needs to be cooked more?

Scust

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Better than the all the fake 'Kobe' beef sold in high end restaurants for far more and was 100% scam all the time (no exaggeration).
What high end restaurants sell fake Kobe beef? Any respectable steakhouse would be very particular about listing the exact source of their meat. Or do you just have the misfortune of frequenting overpriced places with bad food that people generally wouldn't consider high end?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
What high end restaurants sell fake Kobe beef? Any respectable steakhouse would be very particular about listing the exact source of their meat. Or do you just have the misfortune of frequenting overpriced places with bad food that people generally wouldn't consider high end?

Just a lot of articles I've read. You literally cannot buy real Kobe beef outside Japan, period. It's fake.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
So... I have an upcoming trip to Las Vegas and San Francisco. Should I assume that most Wagyu sold there is just overpriced crap?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So... I have an upcoming trip to Las Vegas and San Francisco. Should I assume that most Wagyu sold there is just overpriced crap?
Most of it will be "Kobe style" or "American Wagyu", I'm not sure to what level the USDA regulate this (it was completely unregulated until not so long ago, but they have been tightening that up a bit recently) but a reputable steak house is unlikely to lie about the source of the beef.
As for how good it is, it depends, I had some great steaks that were labeled that way (and obviously some quite bad ones), some were very similar to how they eat them in Japan, some were quite different.

Actual beef from Japan is prohibitively expensive in the US since Japanese beef is barely allowed to be imported into the country, so I would probably wouldn't focus on eating that on an American trip.

Deleted member 20296

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably because they're not actually importing actual top quality wagyu
Wagyu is made in Aussie. (One of the places).

The relationship between wagyu and Kobe beef is like champagne and prosecco.

Same stuff, but you can't call it Champagne if it's not from the Champagne region. Wagyu is 'Kobe style' beef. I imagine there is some knock offs and scams going.

Same with Trappist and Abdij beer.

The Wagyu I had on a plate next to a bunch of other great cuts was Australian as well, the owner actually showed us the meat in the packages he buys it.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Just a lot of articles I've read. You literally cannot buy real Kobe beef outside Japan, period. It's fake.
Eh. You can absolutely get real Kobe beef outside of Japan. It's pretty limited but a number of countries including the US do have restaurants that import it. But that wasn't the question I was asking. If we're talking about actual high end places which are reputable, it's very unlikely for them to mislabel Kobe beef. There's no need to. If it's American wagyu they'll say that on the menu, if it's Japanese beef from some other region of Japan they will also label it as such, often with the actual farm it came from. People paying those prices at a good steakhouse care more about the source than whether it's labeled "Kobe beef".

The bigger problem of the Kobe Beef mislabeling is in casual dining and overpriced non-high end places trying to put premium offerings on the menu for people who don't know any better. Those are scams. But not high end restaurants.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know how legit that is, because what I've heard from Japanese sources is the real Kobe beef never leaves Japan. Real Kobe beef is from cattle in a direct lineage. The cows are raised outside of the lineage and have even made it overseas. Not all beef raised in Kobe is "Kobe beef". I know there isn't even an international trademark, so anyone can call any beef "Kobe" outside Japan, but I'm not sure if the trademark even covers the genuine Kobe beef within Japan.

For the record I see that maybe they were wrong if the import number is that low. I think the lack of international trademark infringement makes it really hard to judge. I'm sure there'd be a ton of money in selling a fake certificate of authenticity along with some beef that's "close enough".
When you get a kobe beef sandwich at Wagyumafia they even show you a certificate to show that it is real kobe beef.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how legit that is, because what I've heard from Japanese sources is the real Kobe beef never leaves Japan. Real Kobe beef is from cattle in a direct lineage. The cows are raised outside of the lineage and have even made it overseas. Not all beef raised in Kobe is "Kobe beef". I know there isn't even an international trademark, so anyone can call any beef "Kobe" outside Japan, but I'm not sure if the trademark even covers the genuine Kobe beef within Japan.

For the record I see that maybe they were wrong if the import number is that low. I think the lack of international trademark infringement makes it really hard to judge. I'm sure there'd be a ton of money in selling a fake certificate of authenticity along with some beef that's "close enough".
According to that website, you should be able to check the authenticity of the beef by requesting an id number from the restaurant and verify it on the website.

I know that Canada only has one restaurant licensed to important Kobe beef (Park in Montreal).

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore

I'm not sure what the point of this discussion is anymore if you just keep talking about stuff you "heard" or "read" or whatever. I thought there was a misunderstanding initially, so I corrected it because as a beef lover I wanted to share. I'm not interested in far out conspiracy theories about faked certificates or whatever. The fact is, because there was confusion over what Kobe beef was, farmers and suppliers in Kobe got together to make things clear years ago and there's more transparency and clarity than ever about whether you're getting actual Kobe beef in a restaurant or meat supplier overseas, and where it comes from, which farm, etc. The same goes for other wagyu breeds in Japan itself. There's a ton of information out there today, and I think it is silly to hide under some cover of "I heard" when it comes to spreading misinformation. There isn't some Kobe beef conspiracy here - there are just places that mislabel it because Kobe beef sounds better, but they're not respected high end places. When you go for good fine dining or a reputable steakhouse in most places in the world, you know where the beef is coming from just by reading the menu.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Meh. You act like you know everything about it, but from my perspective, with hundreds of restaurants touting 'Kobe' beef that wasn't just a few years ago, I think there was significant confusion. Yeah, I'm totally confused now and I'm still very skeptical, because it's legal to call anything 'Kobe'. You can get flustered and angry about it if you like, but you're right there's no point and you didn't need to reply.
I don't understand what you are skeptical about. You said that Kobe beef is never exported, and that everything is fake. Your sources are "I read articles online" and "I heard from Japanese sources" which doesn't sound like you even eat this stuff or talk to anyone who does. This has nothing to do with what is legal. I'm just saying, when you go to a reputable place to eat, they tell you exactly where the beef comes from. They're not out to con you because people who are serious about food have no desire to lie about something like that.

Like, if you think there's some conspiracy, can you name some high end restaurants which have sold fake Kobe beef? What are your personal experiences? I'm not angry, I just don't understand why you would insist that this is all a scam when you seem to have no first hand experience and just talk about reading articles on the internet and Japanese sources. What Japanese sources?

Is it that hard to admit that maybe you had the wrong perception and didn't have all the facts, maybe because you read some stuff that exaggerated things and wasn't accurate?

just going to delete my discussion
Why? If you think you were wrong, it's a learning experience about what is being imported and exported from Japan. Nothing wrong with learning something new.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i think too many people don't understand what wagyu means
it literally means japanese cow
kobe omi matsuzaka are the top 3

most wagyu steak sold out of japan are japanese cows that were imported and their descendants afaik

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love sandos so much wish we had more options for them in Sydney. Even 7-Eleven sandos in Japan look amazing, check this out:

Do English speakers say 'sando' now? 'wagyu katsu sando' sounds so stupid. But maybe its Japan's fault for bastardizing those words in the first place. Like, what's a cutlet sandwich!?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Do English speakers say 'sando' now? 'wagyu katsu sando' sounds so stupid. But maybe its Japan's fault for bastardizing those words in the first place. Like, what's a cutlet sandwich!?
Anyone saying "sando" in english is an omega weeb nerd.

In Japan "katsu" is just a breaded fried cutlet. It's not always (or usually) served in a sandwich though hence the specification of it being a sandwich.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
i think too many people don't understand what wagyu means
it literally means japanese cow
kobe omi matsuzaka are the top 3

most wagyu steak sold out of japan are japanese cows that were imported and their descendants afaik

Kobe is only one type of cow and it's raised special, but yeah, wagyu for the rest