Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Everyday after school I was doped up on radioactive spider blood.

I remember how everyone at school was hyping up to the Venom Saga. It was like our water cooler soap opera

Also they still use the same Animation at Islands of Adventure Spider-Man ride. Every time I ride it brings me back. Great voice for Spidey too. IMO one of the best. Pretty sure they used the same voice for the Capcom vs games too.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this show as a kid. The animation budget is obviously shit -- the amount of reused frames in a single episode is really astounding -- but it was so much fun, and the stories and level of continuity were awesome. The whole drag in the show for me was like this 15-episode stretch they did with that tablet that reverses aging, I was so tired of that pretty quickly. Also anything to do with Morbius.

But Sinister Six, spider slayers, Venom and Carnage, Iron Man/War Machine team up, Secret Wars and Spider-Carnage? So damn good.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
It's not as good as the DCAU shows. That's a fact
But man, I like it. Great theme song and story arcs though it has not aged well
Fight scenes are awful and censorship was bizzare

Spectacular Spider-Man is the greatest. Where is season 3????????????

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I also liked it OP. Not more than Batman TAS, but it was really entertaining and well done.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I grew up on that shit and got mad amounts of nostalgia for it. But it isn't better than Batman, it just isn't. It isn't even the best Spidey show.

Still really fun tho

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, I watched in TV as a kid and found it pretty enjoyable for the most part. The early days of computer generated blending with 2D animation was a treat.

Still, not as good as Spiderman '67. The first thing I did when I loaded up Disney+ was see if that was on there. Nope.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
xOu2dOa.gif
Best Spider-Man and venom adaptations imo

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, wanted to check it out, but it's not available on Disney+ in Germany. Only Spidey-Shows I could find are Spiderman Ultimate and Spiderman (2017). To be fair, the service only started two weeks ago here, so maybe it will be added at a later date.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything was so limited in the early 90's. Video games were like $80, so you only ever got a few. Comics? If you were from rural America you managed to find an issue every once in a long while on a grocery store magazine shelf, so if you wanted the full story you had read the summary of events on the back of Marvel trading cards or the action figure boxes. Thank goodness for the animated shows. Although, the X-Men and Spider-Man t.v. shows were on syndication often enough, but if you wanted to catch the Fantastic Four or Iron Man t.v. show you had to wake up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday. That's hard to do for a kid. I was half asleep every time I watched an episode of those.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
by default it's a pretty close second to Spectacular in terms of Spider-Man shows since the rest suck

If Spectacular had a full run it would eclipse Batman The Animated series IMO

This shows NEEDS a third season. C'mon Sony.

Also anyone know the theme that played whenever the Kingpin was on screen in the 1994 show?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Even as a kid I knew it wasn't as great as Batman, and held it as a guilty pleasure before I knew that was a thing. Even the toys felt subpar compared to Batman TAS toys.

Griffins22

Oct 30, 2017
OP, please watch Spectacular Spider-Man and report back with your findings.

Actually, everyone should watch Spectacular Spider-Man.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
It was my first introduction to Spider-Man so it forever stays as one of my favorite things. I know it wasn't always 1-to-1 with the comics but it's what Spider-Man is like in my head. Part of the reasons I don't super vibe with the current Spider-Man movies is that they don't feel like the old cartoon and I know that's 300% irrational haha.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Glad you're liking it OP. As a kid it helped get me into Spider-Man and now he's my favorite fictional character of all time, so I certainly have a soft spot for it

A6502

Jan 22, 2018
I just rewatched the first 10 episodes, haven't seen these sincee the 90s wow, very entertaining, fast paced , and interesting how much the Raimi films seemed to pull various scenes from these esp. The Alien Costume 3 parter was great. Also, only today did I realize that Mark Hamill did the voice for Hobgoblin.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
It also has an amazing scene where Galactus is defeated by Ghost Rider ex Machina

My7 year old son has been watching the Fantastic Four series on DVDin the car with his mum. He told me this happened one day and I assumed it was some kind of ice cream fueled fever dream until he insisted I watch it to prove he was telling the truth. I used to watch the cartoon when it aired semi irregularly on UK satellite with Iron Man but I never remembered any kind of cross overs like this in it. Maybe we only got the first season at the time? I would have been about 12 and super into Marvel comics so I would have remembered it.

Anyway a funny surprise and relief that my kid is not a crackhead as his second language late night rambling version of it sounded like he had been hitting the yayo.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
As a 14 year old kid I loved it, but honestly I just loved anything that had my beloved Marvel heroes.

As a 39 year old man, it was eclipsed greatly by Spectacular Spider-Man and wasn't even that good compared to other cartoons of the same Era.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking garbage but at least it remembered Spider-Man can be more than either a teenager or a loser.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Haha.. nooo noo.. it's not better than Batman. Calm down.

But I did like it at the time.

RADIOOAACCTIVE SPIDDERRRMAAAN

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Always bothered me how "wide" Peter's build is portrayed in the 90's cartoon.
From reading the comics around the same era I felt Spider-man was muscular, but with a much slimmer "agile-looking" build.

Am I alone?

I mean look at this dude:
5-spiderman-1994-peter-parker.jpg

Nah he's legitimately built like a Rugby/American Football player in this, even as a child I noticed how odd he looked.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
My7 year old son has been watching the Fantastic Four series on DVDin the car with his mum. He told me this happened one day and I assumed it was some kind of ice cream fueled fever dream until he insisted I watch it to prove he was telling the truth. I used to watch the cartoon when it aired semi irregularly on UK satellite with Iron Man but I never remembered any kind of cross overs like this in it. Maybe we only got the first season at the time? I would have been about 12 and super into Marvel comics so I would have remembered it.

Anyway a funny surprise and relief that my kid is not a crackhead as his second language late night rambling version of it sounded like he had been hitting the yayo.

iirc this and a later hulk ep were supposed to be prep for a ghost rider series that never happened.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if Disney plus has them But Incredible Hulk and Silver Surfer we're also surprisingly good. I really thought when I was a kid how the hell are they making a Silver Surfer show but it was good and even had what you can consider an ending. I think Fantastic Four and Iron Man were the weakest of these shows but they were also before the rest.

A more later show that is good is Wolverine and the X-Men.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
era will tell you its horrible, dont listen to era op. still the best peter parker voice

It's a great voice to be sure, but I find myself liking the one from Spiderman Unlimited more. Very underrated series, and I'm amazed it wasn't continued somehow through a comic or anything else.