• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Stay safe bro, and thank you for making this topic. It makes you think of all the millions of people who do not have WFH options so if they dont go to work they will be EFH (evicted from home)

MopDog

Nov 15, 2017
Posted this in another thread, but it's applicable here:

Major chain grocery store worker here.

It's a kind sentiment and I appreciate it, but it's tiresome hearing that "I'm a hero" for providing a service at a time like this.

No, I am not a hero for being thrust into the epicenter of a global pandemic without a say in the matter. If I am a hero to anyone it is the capitalist venture that I am putting before my health and reaping in unimaginable profits. Profits that, as of now, have not in any way been guaranteed to trickle down to the workers.

As of now, there is zero incentive to continue to work except for losing hours, a job, and potentially health insurance in the latter half of the year.

I. Am. Not. A. Hero.

I am expendable cash fodder. Thanks, though.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in another thread, but it's applicable here:

Major chain grocery store worker here.

It's a kind sentiment and I appreciate it, but it's tiresome hearing that "I'm a hero" for providing a service at a time like this.

No, I am not a hero for being thrust into the epicenter of a global pandemic without a say in the matter. If I am a hero to anyone it is the capitalist venture that I am putting before my health and reaping in unimaginable profits. Profits that, as of now, have not in any way been guaranteed to trickle down to the workers.

As of now, there is zero incentive to continue to work except for losing hours, a job, and potentially health insurance in the latter half of the year.

I. Am. Not. A. Hero.

I am expendable cash fodder. Thanks, though.

Yeah I agree but I'm a bit of a narcissist so people calling me a hero makes me feel better

Especially right now where I have the means (because I've saved a lot) to take several months off and try to hibernate through... but I don't have the means to not have a job to come back to... so I like being called a fucking hero because it gives me an extra boos to my ego to get me up at night, to catch that public transportation and go to work.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
They really have it rough.

I've tried to be really understanding whenever I've gone to the store lately. Everyone is panic buying and they're clearly swamped to hell and back, and of course these workers can't stay home even if they wanted to, because they're part of the supply chain.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
You guys still out there dealing with people all day long are the true MVPs. I would not be able to deal with that.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Went grocery shopping Sunday, before noon. Parking lot was really full (and more full by the time I left, with cars in what is probably "overflow" parking). They did have wipes for the shopping carts. Store was swamped. Busier than what you'd expect around holidays/super bowl. What I noticed was sold out: potatoes, eggs (still had liquid eggs). Bananas were nearly gone. There was some toilet paper, but not much left; I assume it was gone by the time I checked out. Did not bother looking for hand sanitizer (already had some on hand). A few other items were looking a bit low on stock, but most things were still available. Heard about some stores sold out of frozen pizza; plenty left here. Got in the long line for checkout that snaked back into the frozen food section. It was a bit of a wait, but it was all orderly, and everyone moved through the queue from single line to individual checkouts without any fuss. The bagger said it had been this busy for the last five days. Remember the checker saying something along the lines of "I couldn't take six more months of this." Seemed stressful, but they were of course still courteous. I used my phone to pay, and signed with a stylus I brought from home (and wiped down after I got back to the car). I said my usual thanks to checker and bagger and moved along.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely! You and your peers have my utmost respect and thanks!

I had this in mind every single time I was shopping during the last two weeks. At times I felt the urge to hug the workers, but y'know.

Hazard pay for you on the "frontlines" should definitely be considererd soon.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Been having guests coming up to me and thanking me like I'm in the armed forces. Its so weird. I work minimum wage and we are slammed. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have to be haha.

That said, I appreciate the acknowledgement that we are putting ourselves at risk staying open and working. Outside of the supply outages and the volume of people, I don't FEEL like I'm in a pandemic. If I had a normal 9 to 5 that was impacted and I had to work from home I probably would but right now I'm too busy to panic haha.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
My mother and uncle are both in their 60's and have to work during this (retail) and they say its like a war zone out there folks fighting over TP and bread.

Frester

Oct 25, 2017
Is it plausible to essentially volunteer to help restock shelves or something? I'm expecting my work to be closed pretty soon and, aside from not wanting to go stir crazy, I'd love to try and help!

Oct 25, 2017
Is it plausible to essentially volunteer to help restock shelves or something? I'm expecting my work to be closed pretty soon and, aside from not wanting to go stir crazy, I'd love to try and help!
Apply to work part time, my store has people who only want to work 12 or so hours a week

Something to occupy your time

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
We got freight employees wasting their lunches by shopping, because they're pulling 10-12 hour days. By the time they get off work the store is slammed and by the time they get up most stuff is already sold out.

Had a friend get dressed down by some old lady about how the store looking like shit (empty shelves, abandoned carts and cardboard everywhere) was his fault. Then customers making cashiers cry, because they couldn't buy more than two things of toilet paper per customer/family.

We work down the street from a hospital that's confirmed two cases. It's been crazy for us.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wasn't going to until i saw your thread title....made me think "yah, this guy is serious, he added fucking.."

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Few of the folks at my Harris Teeter are older so I just feel bad. I'm trying to keep my shopping to essentials.

Nov 20, 2017
UK
We've started putting limits on items in our store (large supermarket chain known for cheap prices and quick checkout scanning).

I've had some great customers the past few days, some customers helping each other out by buying them baby foods and the like to bypass some of the limits (in some instances I agree with this), complete strangers helping each other out.

But I've also seen an increase in selfish arseholes and had an awful lot of abuse thrown my way.

The first day these limits were put in place was quite possibly the worst day I've had at the shop, and mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted me. I struggled quite a bit that day and felt like there was no end in sight. Still feel that way a bit now.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Where I work they ain't changing shit, still forcing what's basically a skeleton crew with no increase in hours even though business increased 3-4 times the norm as we got wiped out and then get bitched at for not getting other work done. Plus hours are getting further cut because they hired more people while still keeping the minimum working at the same time.

Supercrap

Oct 28, 2017
Oakland Bay Area
i usually try to be pretty helpful at the store arranging my stuff on the coveyer belt thats easy for scanning and bagging (helping to bag when theres no bagger), having ID ready for alcohol purchases etc.

I was just at the store and thanked the 2 guys at my lane - i think they appreciated it and they really are out here trying to help everyone get there things as quickly as possible.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
i usually try to be pretty helpful at the store arranging my stuff on the coveyer belt thats easy for scanning and bagging (helping to bag when theres no bagger), having ID ready for alcohol purchases etc.

I was just at the store and thanked the 2 guys at my lane - i think they appreciated it and they really are out here trying to help everyone get there things as quickly as possible.
I have a system of loading the belt. Boxed items first, then cans. Then items in bags and plastic sealed items. Then eggs and finally bread. Makes bagging a breeze, my wife thinks I'm nuts

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My work is allowing us 2 weeks off if we say we're not feeling well and I almost wanna lie and say that but if I don't go, the whole department will fall apart. It's very nerve racking to see all of those people coughing and touching everything, though. I'd love to just stay home and wait this out.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Honestly the employees at my local store are kicking ass and I greatly appreciate all that they do.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm so happy I don't have my job ordering and stocking groceries anymore. The insane amount of work on top of high risk of contracting Corona would not be worth whatever OT I would get.

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday at El Super the manager had the market run very smoothly. Only letting 20 or so shoppers per 10 minutes. I thank him after we left.
odav394xhqk41.gif

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Karen: "You know, I think this whole thing is overblown."

Cashier: "That'll be >$400.00, Karen, for your two shopping carts filled with unnecessary purchases."

STOP
PANIC
BUYING
EVERYTHING
AND
BE
FUCKING
POLITE

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
I was designated an essential employee at my office, and I have to share air with a bunch of disgusting middle management office workers. So my life is pretty hard too and only several people thanked me today.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
My wife works at Walmart. At least they are offering their employees some relief. It's a crazy time

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I work at target, glad i had today off with the announcement that all restaurants were to be closed at 3pm (Michigan resident) but man have we been hit hard. Glad i bought certain stuff ahead of time and the good part is us workers get a laugh out of it for a bit. Gonna buy some personal pizzas for my crew working tomorrow (not whole pizzas because i'm not taking that chance of people sharing a pizza to spread anything if anyone has anything)

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I would have quit. It's absolute chaos in there right now and is probably virus central.
I did quit after 5 years this past weekend. Got sick and found out the only way I'd get payed leave is if I actually was confirmed to have corona which I wouldn't be able to get a test for. Otherwise it's a point based system so its termination if you don't show up essentially. Then they decided to give us all pizza for our hard work and that was a slap on the face. Good riddance, best of luck OP. Hope your chain is better managed then mine was.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this title, my brain reads it as "Thank you for fucking your Local Grocery Store workers people."

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I usually just try not roll my eyes and just smile at my customers mostly lame jokes, especially in situation like this, but one got me today and legitimately made my day:
A guy looking at the empty tp shelf turns to me and goes: "Huh, seems there's more dirty assholes around than even I thought."