Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Harris County is where Houston is.

920x920.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

1024x1024.jpg

The turnout smashed the previous mark, set in 2010, by more than 35,000 votes, and came on the same day both major party candidates for the U.S. Senate, Gov. Greg Abbott and President Donald Trump campaigned in downtown Houston.

An additional 52,413 voters have returned mail-in ballots, bringing the total figure to date to 115, 601.
Harris County's tally eclipsed the first-day total in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections, even though midterms typically draw far fewer voters. Fort Bend and Montgomery counties experienced similar surges.

"There are just incredible numbers of turnout today," Harris County Clerk Stan Stanart said. "Lines are moving, they're getting to vote, and they're getting on their way."

BETOMANIA
The day began in the predawn twilight at the Metropolitan Multi-Service Center on West Gray, where more 2,000 voters waited for the polls to open at 8 a.m. Many arrived to cheer Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke, who made a campaign stop and spoke to supporters through a bullhorn.

In Pasadena around 11:15 a.m., Victoria Montoya waited in line with two-dozen other voters. She said her Mexican-American family has always supported Democrats and said Texas deserves a new senator in O'Rourke.
Behind her, Victor Mesuwan of South Houston admitted he had not cast a ballot since the Bush-Gore presidential contest in 2000. He said O'Rourke was the first candidate he felt he could relate to, and decided to support the El Paso Democrat.
No trophy for guessing who this person voted for
Retiree Susan Zak said casting a ballot was well worth the wait, as she was eager to support a pay raise for Houston firefighters. A straight-ticket Republican voter, Zak urged the government to stem illegal immigration, and said she was especially concerned about criminals and gang members slipping across the United States-Mexico border.

"I'm afraid for my grandchildren," she said.

Source

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Man, Beto really cant look bad on a picture

I cant remember the last time I saw such an atractive politician

If he pulls out the miracle that gives the dems the senate he will remembered for a long time

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're doing this early voting hopium again after huge margins in 2016 ended up being meaningless? What is objectively different this time?

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
If you are afraid for your grandchildren, why don't you ask how your grandchildren would vote and do that?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Beto manages to do this, Cruz better have his image immortalized as that sad sack phone answering picture. I want that photo included in every single mention of Cruz on the internet for eternity.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, but i just cant see beto winning. The state polls would have to be extremely off for that to happen (no the 2016 polls werent that off)

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
In all honesty, if Beto does it I might actually say something nice and reasonable about the state of Texas

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Beto loses, he should run for president. His ability to energize and mobilize people who never have felt this way before is special. Being this close in Texas is a miracle. many presidents have turned failed congress campaigns into successful presidential bids later. Lincoln did it two years later.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
An incumbent that no one likes, and is only voted for the letter next to their name, vs a challenger with enthusiasm across the state for them. In red Texas the former is still on the advantage, but an upset is not impossible and those are the circumstances it can happen in.

aceface

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there an argument that early voting depresses turnout on Election Day?

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Go vote.

Please. I am actually begging anyone reading this in the USA: please go vote. Go tomorrow. Just take your time and read the ballot.

Please...

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
CBS News tonight said Beto is still trailing 5-7 points. Hope he pulls ahead but we're getting down to the wire.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there an argument that early voting depresses turnout on Election Day?
That only exists when it's Democrats. The media has an innate bias towards Republicans and always frame things as positive for them. Lots of Dems early voting? "This will take away from Election day votes!". Lots of Reps early voting? "Republicans out in droves, red wave!".