• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm only afraid of power loss at this point. My area's power is underground and it's mostly snow from here on so I'm hopeful. Still may have rolling power outages overnight, don't look forward to potentially going out and checking the pool pumps auto restarting but it could be worse. All my piping is in the slab foundation and inner walls.

Gonna check the pool soon. Thursday it was 49, Friday 45, late yesterday 43. Keep in mind the ground below it varies little over the year. Caves 80 feet down in central texas are nearly 76 all year round.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
They have a phone line for "maintenance emergencies" that I've been calling to no avail. The problem is that it's not a standard complex. It's a set of what they call "condos" with a central office where I pay rent and stuff. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, legally. It's not really their fault that it broke on a Sunday, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They have a phone line for "maintenance emergencies" that I've been calling to no avail. The problem is that it's not a standard complex. It's a set of what they call "condos" with a central office where I pay rent and stuff. I'm not quite sure what to do about it, legally. It's not really their fault that it broke on a Sunday, right?

Nope it absolutely is. Read your laws. They are there for a reason. From what I can see if they don't fix within 24 hours they may be liable for 500 dollar in addition to 1 months rent.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, power's the only thing I'm really worried at all about. I can curl up in some blankets for a couple hours, but anything beyond that and I'll be looking to go somewhere, a friend's house or whatever. Which is dangerous in itself because of all the ice that's already on the road. I can't even walk on my driveway and the precipitation hasn't really started yet.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wasn't able to get much good food from the grocery store (wanted to get a brisket and a pork belly to smoke), only secured some mac and cheese fixings. Ordering hella chinese food today that should be enough food for the next 4 or so days, then battening down the hatches until shit ain't frozen anymore

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got groceries yesterday and it was a madhouse in there. Hoping we can all just stay in the next 2 days and there are no serious power outages

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The GFS model is showing around 8 inches of snow in my area (Cypress, NW-Houston Metro Area). If that actually happens, I'll be pretty happy. I've lived in area off and on since my family moved here from Iowa in '99, but luck would have it that I've never actually seen snow here. The few times it's happened I've either been away for college, in Iowa visiting family for Christmas, or living abroad.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd kill to have a stretch of the 20s+ right now. It's been less than 10 degrees here for the past two weeks, -4 high today.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
The GFS model is showing around 8 inches of snow in my area (Cypress, NW-Houston Metro Area). If that actually happens, I'll be pretty happy. I've lived in area off and on since my family moved here from Iowa in '99, but luck would have it that I've never actually seen snow here. The few times it's happened I've either been away for college, in Iowa visiting family for Christmas, or living abroad.

That seems like...way too much snow. How likely is this?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Snow all over here in Ft Worth. Thankfully a lot of the roads near me are grooved out so driving isn't completely hectic. Had a harder time getting out of my parking space at home

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stay safe Texas Era, y'all can do it.

Any of ya got any good pics of local grocery stores being cleared out?

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017

Damn, that's my area. Glad I'm all stocked up.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
So now I'm seeing warnings in the Houston area to NOT drip our faucets etc. unless the pipes are along outside facing walls, because if everyone drips all their water lines it will cause the city-wide water pressure to drop too much.

I'm guessing that would be a concern for fire fighting etc.

Any truth to this?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
This guy is one of the 2 guys who runs Space City Weather, a website that's known pretty well around Houston for not hyping things up like a lot of meteorologists on TV tend to do.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Light wintry mix in San Antonio right now, I think the snow is supposed to start later today. But it seems like storms always kind of skip San Antonio proper and go around us so who knows.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Pflugerville burbs, thin layer of ice everywhere that I can see on the street. Watched a couple timmidly walk down the path to the mailbox + every other step looked like a potential slip. No thanks. Bunked up, lots of food, only really worried about the two external taps. They're covered + wrapped, and I put "fresh" rags on 'em just now. Not more I can do but keep the house warm + keep myself warm.

Wind seems to be picking up ahead of the big front moving in....

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
I just got an email from my electricity company offering $150 credit to change to a different provider today/tomorrow lol.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
It's 24 right now here in San Antonio. It feels cold for sure, but my heater is going most of the day and I've got a towel under 2 of the exterior doors (I need to replace the weather stripping on them some time anyway).

I'm kind of glad I've spent time in San Angelo for college and lived in Chicago and Langley for a bit when I was younger, or this might be awful. The few benefits of being a military brat, I suppose.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a fixed rate, it might be a better idea to stay.

Not moving ;) Just found it interesting they're trying to offload customers ahead of perceived/expected outages + Customer Service requests - everything will get routed through Oncor obviously, but they'll be the people getting called. Just interesting.