Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Furthermore, I cannot even begin to fathom how you would temperature check students at my school. Students enter the campus through so many points of entry, our campus is as porous as a sponge. It is rather ludicrous, but I suppose fuck it, what is the worst that can happen.

That's actually shocking. My district locked everything down a few years ago.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Full-time remote classes are a tough choice, especially for rural districts. My sister is a therapist at one and they had a terrible time transitioning to virtual classes. A bunch of kids didn't have internet access and had to watch the instructional videos from the parking lot of churches that opened up their wifi. It sounds like most kids learned almost nothing from March - May. Not sure how they could manage it over an entire year.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
From the first article:

They are basing this off of a lack of transmission prior to March 12, 2020? Well Ireland had 70 total cases of Covid throughout the entire country at that time; I'm not exactly surprised by the claim that children did not appear to be drivers of transmission.

The second article:

What is it with these studies, not peer-reviewed and it tracked 18 people in total.

Furthermore, I cannot even begin to fathom how you would temperature check students at my school. Students enter the campus through so many points of entry, our campus is as porous as a sponge. It is rather ludicrous, but I suppose fuck it, what is the worst that can happen.
There's a table at that first link. They started with 6 known cases of covid who interacted with hundreds of other kids at school, with zero transmission.

There's been plenty of evidence to suggest kids are less likely to get it, also less likely to pass it on, also less likely to be hospitalized or die and those who are tend to have other serious pre-existing conditions so they should absolutely isolate until vaccine. Kids in general just aren't as susceptible nor as at risk as say seniors are. Kids being at school also frees up parents to continue working, kids get their education, it gives some kids more access to food, saves families money not having to deal with daycare, and so on. As I said before though, I'm concerned for the adults who work at schools, and maybe high schools need more scrutiny than middle schools since a lot of the "kids" are almost adults too.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Full-time remote classes are a tough choice, especially for rural districts. My sister is a therapist at one and they had a terrible time transitioning to virtual classes. A bunch of kids didn't have internet access and had to watch the instructional videos from the parking lot of churches that opened up their wifi. It sounds like most kids learned almost nothing from March - May. Nor sure how they could manage it over an entire year.
From what I heard, remote learning was a total disaster. For most kids, it was just more time to play Fortnite. They switched off from school back in March, did the absolute bare minimum and schools lowered the bar accordingly to help them pass the semester. Plus there's the issue you mentioned of not everyone having equal access.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My three kids will not be returning to campus before a vaccine is available fuck Abbott
You going to homeschool them?
What really needs to be pushed for next school year is a waiver on truancy. Normally, if a parent keeps their kids from going to school and they aren't homeschooling then they could be taken away by a social worker. If a kid decides to skip school on their own volition, they may get a court summons and will be either fined or sent to juvenile.

There needs to be a waiver for truancy because some parents can't homeschool their kids but they also don't want them at school where they are at risk of getting infected and bringing it back home with them.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Our biggest fear is the budget and education cuts in the future.

Mine is too, although I'm hoping to be surprised and see the opposite happen. With an entire semester gone (and potentially more depending on what districts decide to do for fall) due to, let's be honest, probably less than adequate learning going on, these kids need all the teachers, interventionists, counselors, coordinators, etc... they can get. Cutting funds is only going to result in them being even more behind, and at that point they're going to be so behind it'll be impossible to catch up.

What really needs to be pushed for next school year is a waiver on truancy.

Not only for the kids, but the staff too. Usually we have X amount of sick days in our contract (I didn't miss any days last year, but I'm pretty sure we have around 8) and then after that it really doesn't look good if we continue to not show up. What happens if we get COVID? If we're going to be in a classroom with 20, 25, 30, however many kids, then anyone in that building should be able to miss days should they contract the disease without any repercussions.

Oct 25, 2017
Full-time remote classes are a tough choice, especially for rural districts. My sister is a therapist at one and they had a terrible time transitioning to virtual classes. A bunch of kids didn't have internet access and had to watch the instructional videos from the parking lot of churches that opened up their wifi. It sounds like most kids learned almost nothing from March - May. Nor sure how they could manage it over an entire year.
This is why school districts should be able to adapt as they need, but pushing urban districts to open their doors to 3,000 plus kids with 20-30 per classroom isn't it. It is nigh impossible to walk through the halls during passing periods, we have well over 700 kids trying to get and eat lunch in 30 minutes, buses are packed full of students sitting side by side. Maybe kids don't get sick from COVID, but they sure can carry it to teachers, administration, staff, and home to their parents who will then take it to their place of work. I also don't see any district pushing for full-time remote classes, most are pushing for blended learning. If kids weren't learning from March-May then that is much more on parents than the platform.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Mesquite ISD is giving an option. Can choose online or in person. Wife is a teacher and she's hoping a decent amount choose online. Although kindergarten will be tough. Parents have to be on 100% of the time since they're so young. And Mesquite is a poorer district where it's unlikely parents would be able to just not work and handhold kids in school.

The nice thing is that online instruction will be handled by a separate division so that in person teachers won't have to deal with it.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a table at that first link. They started with 6 known cases of covid who interacted with hundreds of other kids at school, with zero transmission.

There's been plenty of evidence to suggest kids are less likely to get it, also less likely to pass it on, also less likely to be hospitalized or die and those who are tend to have other serious pre-existing conditions so they should absolutely isolate until vaccine. Kids in general just aren't as susceptible nor as at risk as say seniors are. Kids being at school also frees up parents to continue working, kids get their education, it gives some kids more access to food, saves families money not having to deal with daycare, and so on. As I said before though, I'm concerned for the adults who work at schools, and maybe high schools need more scrutiny than middle schools since a lot of the "kids" are almost adults too.
What is the actual student to teacher ratio in Ireland? Do they bus in students like most urban schools in the US?

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
You going to homeschool them?
What really needs to be pushed for next school year is a waiver on truancy. Normally, if a parent keeps their kids from going to school and they aren't homeschooling then they could be taken away by a social worker. If a kid decides to skip school on their own volition, they may get a court summons and will be either fined or sent to juvenile.

There needs to be a waiver for truancy because some parents can't homeschool their kids but they also don't want them at school where they are at risk of getting infected and bringing it back home with them.
I guess I'm going to have to, though it seems like they are going to allow distance learning for certain kids which we should qualify for since I'm immunocompromised

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm going to have to, though it seems like they are going to allow distance learning for certain kids which we should qualify for since I'm immunocompromised
Fiction, I don't know the age of your children, but if you need additional resources for homeschooling I could get you some. Taught 11th grade US History for 3 years, going on 3 years teaching AP World History/World History. Offer is open to all as well, please understand resources would be shared via an anonymous account (not about to give out my district and or personal info).

Last edited:

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Fiction, I don't know the age of your children, but if you need additional resources for homeschooling I could get you some. Taught 11th grade US History for 3 years, going on 3 years teaching AP World History/World History. Offer is open to all as well, please understand resources would be shared via an anonymous account (not about to give out my district and or personal info).
Thanks so much, I will definitely keep it in mind. My older two are great at school but my youngest (12) has severe ADD (to the point that she gets stressed when put on the spot and does things like forget the 12 months of the year, it's that bad) so if I do home school I will need all the help I can get.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there I suspect that my district will be doing distance learning anyhow

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
And then they pivot back to hospitalizations, as if adding all those new cases won't affect hospitalizations when we all know that lag by a couple weeks.

Texas 7 days rolling avg on worldmeter:
May 11: 1119
June 11: 1750

As I said before, when you're adding 10s of thousand of cases, hospitalizations will eventually catch up.

Confirmed COVID Hospitalizations at all time high today at 3148. Double of that on May 25 of 1511.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The 7 day rolling average of added covid cases reached a new all time high in Texas today.

This is not going to change anything. Unless there is a NY/Northern Italy shortage of hospital beds/ventilators and piles of dead bodies, the problem is going to be more academic than concrete for most people.

Oct 25, 2017
How long until Abbot overrides it?
He won't, Harris is just following the lead of other counties, he has already said he is okay with it so long as their is no fine for individuals.

"Local governments can require stores and business to require masks. That's what was authorized in my plan," Abbott added. "Businesses … they've always had the opportunity and the ability, just like they can require people to wear shoes and shirts, these businesses can require people to wear face masks if they come into their businesses. Now local officials are just now realizing that that was authorized."

Source

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Starting June 22nd, it is required for all businesses in Harris Cointy to require customers and staff to wear masks. What do i do if I see people not wearing masks?

Edit: whoops just saw this has been posted about

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have that Abbott tweet trying to roast ny and Cali, a month ago?

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
From what I heard, remote learning was a total disaster. For most kids, it was just more time to play Fortnite. They switched off from school back in March, did the absolute bare minimum and schools lowered the bar accordingly to help them pass the semester. Plus there's the issue you mentioned of not everyone having equal access.
The way remote learning was handled was awful. I can guarantee my nieces learned basically nothing during their time off with the packets that were sent home. It makes you realize just how important a good teacher is.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so goddamn fucking pissed at this that he is rationalizing it as local governments just FINALLY solving a resident-evil-esque puzzle on the mask business. He fucking knew these increases were coming and he fucking knew that he had a direct responsibility for it being this bad.

What a fucking piece of shit and what a goddamn useless, impotent chucklefuck he has been. Fuck Republicans, every single goddamn one of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Starting June 22nd, it is required for all businesses in Harris Cointy to require customers and staff to wear masks. What do i do if I see people not wearing masks?

Edit: whoops just saw this has been posted about
They don't have to wear them in public, they have to wear them in businesses. If you see someone not wearing one, I would talk to staff but just me.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My three kids will not be returning to campus before a vaccine is available fuck Abbott

I really hope that RRISD is going to allow distance learning. Our middle child is set to start 9th grade at Round Rock High School, and my wife is massively immunocompromised, so we're both more than a little worried.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I really hope that RRISD is going to allow distance learning. Our middle child is set to start 9th grade at Round Rock High School, and my wife is massively immunocompromised, so we're both more than a little worried.
My oldest two are starting tenth there. It's like a damned college campus.

I did get an email today from the administration they said they are still deciding so hopefully...

Sleepyhead86

Oct 27, 2017
City employee here, we teleworked for 2 months and went back on 06/01/2020.

Starting next week we are back teleworking as more people in the building tested positive throughout these weeks. Customers were allowed back in the building as well.

This is with masks being mandatory and temperature checks for everyone.

Game2Death

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to point out how pointless checking temperature in Texas is. I work at a big company in Austin, and it's getting hot outside. People who park far away or maybe go outside for some air end up failing the temperature test. They just have everyone who fails wait off to the side until their temperature recovers. There's no point.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
People should be in jail for life after this is over for the level of incompetence but nah, nothing will happen and these people in charge will continue to have these jobs.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to point out how pointless checking temperature in Texas is. I work at a big company in Austin, and it's getting hot outside. People who park far away or maybe go outside for some air end up failing the temperature test. They just have everyone who fails wait off to the side until their temperature recovers. There's no point.
I don't think that is how fever works.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
San Antonio seeing over 400 new cases a day now. It's wild how we spent a couple of months in lock down only to blow it doing the most trivial things.