DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Mexican border towns are a mess. The cases & deaths keep rising at a high pace, so it's a good thing the borders are closed for tourism.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
according to the link I posted at the top of the page, 1856 cases were added today, but with the link just 2 posts below it posted by Lathentar there were 945 cases added today. Quite the difference and I'm surprised there is such a vast disparity between trackers.

But I have no idea as the source listed for worldometers on their site is the database I listed!

Worldmeter numbers is the sum of the numbers from the county. It's more up to date. Seems like the Texas official number was up to 10:45AM CST.

If you go to Harris county website. The current number 10,283. While the spreadsheet and official tracker has it at 10,095.

https://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Resources/2019-Novel-Coronavirus

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Worldmeter numbers is the sum of the numbers from the county. It's more up to date. Seems like the Texas official number was up to 10:45AM CST.
I see. Also explains why Worldmeter has a bit of a higher case count than the other source because it's a little more recent.

Cool, I know which tracker to stick with now. Worldmeter it is!

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Albuquerque Journal provides a summary webpage with all the data from each county. I assumed El Paso would be the main entry point of Covid19, but cases are mostly in the upper east near Arizona and Nevada.

www.abqjournal.com

CORONAVIRUS IN NEW MEXICO In Memory THOSE WE’VE LOST by Albuquerque Journal on Exposure State Tracking PLEASE NOTE: The New Mexico charts below are no longer being updated. The state ceased providing consistent daily data on April 9, 2021.

CORONAVIRUS IN NEW MEXICO In Memory THOSE WE’VE LOST by Albuquerque Journal on Exposure State Tracking PLEASE NOTE: The New Mexico charts below are no longer being updated. The state ceased providing consistent daily data on April 9, 2021. For the latest data from the state, please...

The Mexican border towns are a mess. The cases & deaths keep rising at a high pace, so it's a good thing the borders are closed for tourism.
Apparently Juarez was powdering the streets with bleach some weeks ago. I had to facepalm.

edit:

It happened.

www.motherjones.com

They're spraying bleach water over a Mexican border city to stop the spread of coronavirus

Local health officials have advised against it.

Univision reported Sunday that the city's mayor, Armando Cavada, is having sodium hypochlorite sprayed over more than 800 acres of border neighborhoods because "it's the same material, or sanitizer, used to disinfect operating rooms," Cavada said—a substance that cleans "totally well."

Last edited:

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I see Houston is predicted to be one of the next Hot Spots.

Those high temps ain't gonna be enough.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Those world numbers are not good. Plus it's more likely there is under-reporting. There's still so many countries that do not have this under control.

There is hope when several countries have shown significant improvement because they got serious about controlling the spread.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
In Austin, there was a deluge of EMS sirens before the lockdown. As the lockdown went deeper, they actually decreased. As of this week, I'm hearing more sirens again..

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017
Noticably more people out this weekend in Austin. Hit up Central market this morning and it seems like they've stopped limiting the number of people in the store though nearly everyone was wearing a mask. Whole Foods in the arboretum was limiting people in the store still. I'm starting think we won't see a sharp uptick in daily cases but a slow gradual increase in cases.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
Noticably more people out this weekend in Austin. Hit up Central market this morning and it seems like they've stopped limiting the number of people in the store though nearly everyone was wearing a mask. Whole Foods in the arboretum was limiting people in the store still. I'm starting think we won't see a sharp uptick in daily cases but a slow gradual increase in cases.

Probably true for Austin to some extent, because Barton and all those parks are chock full of unmasked people.

But Austin's always been fairly good about this -- progressive, educated.. it's the broader TX that's problematic.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah. There are insane lines to Galveston.

Guess we shall see how things are in a month.

Sure the beach isn't a high risk because you are outside. But I am just thinking of the hordes of people using public restrooms.

And the same 20 restaurants and same 6 beach goods stores or 1 grocery store. Yes the beach is outside but everything else about the day is shared.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
local and state parks still have closed restrooms. Sure it has led to more people pissing in nature but its better than spreading the covid

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not TX, sorry, but figured the subject is related, this is from the Ozarks yesterday. It's fine though, there's a sign.

EYvguIyWoAAC8op

EYv2cjUWAAEncTf

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Not TX, sorry, but figured the subject is related, this is from the Ozarks yesterday. It's fine though, there's a sign.

EYvguIyWoAAC8op

EYv2cjUWAAEncTf

They walk among us, people. I'm having a hard time typing my feelings because my faith in people's ability to take this seriously without needing to get sick is slipping.

Actually, forget slipping: it's definitely allllll gone.

Imagine if these people get infected and are just chilling in all high traffic areas during their incubation period when they're definitely sick but not physically sick to know it yet but are doing their best to spread the wealth around.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
It's like I told my mom, this is like the movie Jaws. Jaws starts with a shark attack (initial outbreak), people are fearful (quarantine) and there are strives to find and eliminate the threat, so fishermen are gathered and a bounty is put on the shark(the act of containing spread, flattening the curve and seeking a vaccine). A big shark is caught, but the marine biologist knows it's not THE shark they are looking for, but the Mayor is content with the find (curve is starting to flatten in some states and hydroxychloroquine is being spouted as "curing" those with the virus, GOP and Trump feel satisfied with JUST that). Mayor plans to re-open the beach for the 4th of July weekend because the town of Amity gets a LOT of business during said holiday, regardless of the smart people telling him it's a big mistake (Trump and Right-wingers are pushing to reopen the country to a complete state or normalcy, ignoring the threat of a second wave). That's basically where we are right now, the start of the 4th of July weekend. People are setting up beach towels and volleyball nets, heading to the shoreline as a fin pokes out of the water in the distance and John Williams' iconic theme is starting to play.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
It's like I told my mom, this is like the movie Jaws. Jaws starts with a shark attack (initial outbreak), people are fearful (quarantine) and there are strives to find and eliminate the threat, so fishermen are gathered and a bounty is put on the shark(the act of containing spread, flattening the curve and seeking a vaccine). A big shark is caught, but the marine biologist knows it's not THE shark they are looking for, but the Mayor is content with the find (curve is starting to flatten in some states and hydroxychloroquine is being spouted as "curing" those with the virus, GOP and Trump feel satisfied with JUST that). Mayor plans to re-open the beach for the 4th of July weekend because the town of Amity gets a LOT of business during said holiday, regardless of the smart people telling him it's a big mistake (Trump and Right-wingers are pushing to reopen the country to a complete state or normalcy, ignoring the threat of a second wave). That's basically where we are right now, the start of the 4th of July weekend. People are setting up beach towels and volleyball nets, heading to the shoreline as a fin pokes out of the water in the distance and John Williams' iconic theme is starting to play.

so 1918 flu

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Damn you now I'll forever associated Covid-19 with the Jaws theme.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020

I will never view this movie in the same light again...

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Is it fair to describe something as the 2nd wave when the 1st wave never ended?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trump today:

ESr0xfDUEAAsB4K

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Any anyone ease my mind by telling me if they at least did a study on heat and covid? It took like 4 months for 1 CASE to cause the world to shut down and all it takes is 1 case (There are still millions at the moment) for it to shut down the world again.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Any anyone ease my mind by telling me if they at least did a study on heat and covid? It took like 4 months for 1 CASE to cause the world to shut down and all it takes is 1 case (There are still millions at the moment) for it to shut down the world again.
I haven't kept up with it, but in March that was the thinking in early research. I don't know if it still is. I've also been reading that Vitamin D is good to have, so there's probably merit to being outside more, but not in a huge sweaty crowd with people yelling etc.

twitter.com

Kabir Taneja on Twitter

“"Based on what we have documented so far, it appears that the virus has a harder time spreading between people in warmer climates,” Uni of Maryland Institute of Virology prof. https://t.co/4575126o9T”

papers.ssrn.com

Will Coronavirus Pandemic Diminish by Summer?

The novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) has spread rapidly to multiple countries and has been declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. While influenza vi

Oct 25, 2017
They walk among us, people. I'm having a hard time typing my feelings because my faith in people's ability to take this seriously without needing to get sick is slipping.

Actually, forget slipping: it's definitely allllll gone.

Imagine if these people get infected and are just chilling in all high traffic areas during their incubation period when they're definitely sick but not physically sick to know it yet but are doing their best to spread the wealth around.
Walking into my local grocery store while being one of the few people wearing masks killed any of my optimism about my faith in people.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Walking into my local grocery store while being one of the few people wearing masks killed any of my optimism about my faith in people.
Not only is FYGM engrained into the culture, especially on one side of the political aisle, I think for people in general when they see 80%, 90% people not wearing masks around them they'll naturally start to question if they're the odd ones out.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
what was the point of the lockdown. i saw some family members in texas having a fucking party. i could not believe it. :(

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
In Houston.

Went to go pick up some more masks from a friend who's making them. Peak lockdown they sold over 50k masks. I asked how business was and she replied that it mostly dried up. Said it's like everyone decided the pandemic was over.

Sure enough in a group chat I'm in, one member got her haircut and dyed. Another member wants to grill today and they're all excited and making plans.

Guess the pandemic is over now that we can go to olive garden whenever we want!