• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
So was this movie some alt right power fantasy like the script leaks suggested?

The social commentary is SO incredibly sloppy, to the degree that you can (and most people are) read it as being an alt right wank fest, or "woke Anti-Gun propaganda".... How people can extract the latter from it, I have no fucking clue.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I like gore as much as the next person, but it's all anyone knows what to do with this franchise. That and making Leatherface Jason with a chainsaw. And honestly, if this were the Leatherface from '74, he wouldn't have the mental capacity to understand what the fuck was going on or why. In the original, he's basically just a child that does what he's told. If he 'got away' in '74, he probably wouldn't have gotten any further than just sitting in the woods until he was found and placed in an institution.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Sally could never find Leatherface and he was living within walking distance of his old house.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I can appreciate they tried for a bit a socioeconomic/cultural commentary for the first time since… Next Generation? But it doesn't really go anywhere.

Stop making these as slashers. TCM is not a slasher, it's a fairy tale.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It really does feel like this film was done just to piss off liberals.

Black man shown being upset that a building has an old confederate flag on it

Girl who makes a snide comment about a person carrying a gun getting terrorized throughout the movie

Girl is a high school shooting victim who still has PTSD about the incident overcomes her trauma to start using guns

Bus full of young diverse people getting carved up. One of the kills involves impaling a man with a chainsaw and using him to impale a girl. And of course they make it look like they're humping each other.

Girl riding in a Tesla gets her head chopped off.

If it's not pro-GOP, then it's at least tone deaf as fuck in a few scenes.

Oct 26, 2017
It's weird that this franchise... Doesn't just focus on being about meat?

The original is the most direct and effective vegan promotion art that exists and it's not like meat has gotten less relevant in 2022, lol.

This interview is also extremely confusing.

The world is a f*cking mess and [there's] shades of gray and there can be all sorts of characters in both sides of the story, so that's the way we approached it. We wanted you to walk out of it and go, 'Wait, but I still don't have an answer! Who was right and wrong?' Because that is the way that life works. I know that some movies do give you an answer and they take a strong point of view. For us, in something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it's the most gruesome horror movie, you've gotta be chaotic and it cannot be preachy.

I do not think there's anything subtle or grey about the original...

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
It really does feel like this film was done just to piss off liberals.

Black man shown being upset that a building has an old confederate flag on it

Girl who makes a snide comment about a person carrying a gun getting terrorized throughout the movie

Girl is a high school shooting victim who still has PTSD about the incident overcomes her trauma to start using guns

Bus full of young diverse people getting carved up. One of the kills involves impaling a man with a chainsaw and using him to impale a girl. And of course they make it look like they're humping each other.

Girl riding in a Tesla gets her head chopped off.

If it's not pro-GOP, then it's at least tone deaf as fuck in a few scenes.
yea thats where Im at. It almost, ALMOST, felt like they were going for an angle that the school shooting victim should realize that guns actually help people when she was about to have to use one.

I dont know the timeline at all, was "Bad Hombre" studios made before Trump made that comment?

This studio is starting to feel like a long con troll lol

From what I looked up of this studio, they also produced Dont Breathe 2. Didnt that movie try to make a rapist sympathetic? I think im making a note to avoid movies this studio is involved with in the future.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Load of absolute garbage. Just a bottom tier film in every aspect, they didn't even bother attempting to develop anything. A few caricatures show up, and five minutes later Leatherface just starts carving up folk, less than 80 minutes in it rolls credits after a terrible attempt to recreate the original film's ending but with a self-driving car because ha ha, 2022 amirite.

They blatantly tried to copy Halloween 2018 with its 50 years later, old heroine out for revenge, old killer putting back on the mask, more gore and kills, but they forgot to include any semblance of plot or character, and went completely against what made the original work in favour of generic flavourless slasher scenes (whereas Halloween 2018 while possessing its own style respected the original and its ideas).

Said caricatures and terrible attempts at social satire are going to instantly date the film to the 2020-2022 era too, not that anyone should revisit this tripe in the future. But then that would cover most of this franchise which hasn't had a good film in it since, well, 50 years ago.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
It was fun... What horror/film fan expected it to be anything else?
I thought it was pretty good. Far from amazing but I'm a little surprised at the extreme hate. I can't say I had any fucking idea what the kids' actual plan was with the town (if they owned buildings why did they have to go in the bus in the rain??) but I don't put too much stake in the social commentary or lack thereof. I don't think it had much of substance to say (which is fine really). I didn't get a pro or anti gun vibe, I just got the sense they thought they were trying to be being clever using a school shooting to paint the character as a survivor/let you know that it's the final girl.

The kills were fun. This could have been a very different movie with like, a good plot. But with the plot that's there now, I don't mind that they barely took any time explaining things and went right to the killing. I enjoyed it

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The use of Sally in this mirrored Loomis in Halloween 5, complete with holding the main girl (girls) hostage to lure out the villain.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
An old Leatherface would actually be interesting to watch. Like we see him in an institution just trying to survive with a bunch of obnoxious podcasters wanting to interview him.

Dec 19, 2021
The movie was just boring. I get not every slasher movie needs to break new ground but the whole thing felt generic. Even for Netflix this was lame.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I really hated it. The bus scene, which should've been worth the price of admission, was ruined by the fact that no one in there could figure out how a window worked (plus all the stupidity required to set the scene up).

And do bathrooms in a bus usually have a skylight? I've actively avoided having to go in there on bus trips, but it seemed strange to me.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I really hated it. The bus scene, which should've been worth the price of admission, was ruined by the fact that no one in there could figure out how a window worked (plus all the stupidity required to set the scene up).

There's literally a shot of the girl moving away from Leatherface, heading towards the black velvet curtain that leads to the exit of the bus and her amazing plan instead in that moment... is to turn her back to the doorway and try to climb out of the window beside her instead.

I allow suspension of disbelief with this kind of shit but it was just asinine as hell.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually a person who doesn't have a problem switching off my brain to be entertained by a movie. But yeah this was pretty bad.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
This started out okay but the 'that's just stupid' moments were off the charts. Stupid characters and stupid contrivances. It's the laziest writing possible. Particularly bad timing after a new Scream movie, which itself wasn't great but does remind you of everything to avoid doing in these situations.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
So, watching this now & I really wish modern filmmakers would actually watch the original series of films because this movie has the same problem that Texas Chainsaw 3D did...

Leatherface is not the main antagonist of these films. The family is. The Sawyers are the actual threat. The Cook & Nubbins in 1. The Cook & Chop Top in 2. Tex in 3 and Vilmer in 4. They were the real terror & Leatherface was more or less a weapon they deployed on their victims. Even the Bay remake/prequel knew that by having Hoyt be the main villain. When Leatherface becomes the sole villain of the film, the movie loses something because he really doesn't have much motivation or reason behind him. So now you have faceless victims & a faceless killer leaving you with a faceless movie. I guess you could say I'm not really enjoying it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So, watching this now & I really wish modern filmmakers would actually watch the original series of films because this movie has the same problem that Texas Chainsaw 3D did...

Leatherface is not the main antagonist of these films. The family is. The Sawyers are the actual threat. The Cook & Nubbins in 1. The Cook & Chop Top in 2. Tex in 3 and Vilmer in 4. They were the real terror & Leatherface was more or less a weapon they deployed on their victims. Even the Bay remake/prequel knew that by having Hoyt be the main villain. When Leatherface becomes the sole villain of the film, the movie loses something because he really doesn't have much motivation or reason behind him. So now you have faceless victims & a faceless killer leaving you with a faceless movie. I guess you could say I'm not really enjoying it.

I refer to it as the "Pinhead effect". Even though the story presents a group as antagonists, one person is picked to be the face of the franchise even if it makes absolutely no sense, so they just shoehorn that character into whatever story.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021

Yep, this is my exact problem.

Leatherface is the Tyrant, My. X, pyramid head, Nemesis, etc to much larger problems going on.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
This movie had some awesome carnage. Was stoked when Leatherface got that last kill in, was the worst character easy lol.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
The last kill was just brutal, mean and unnecessary.

The entire bus massacre was brutal, mean, and unnecessary too. I think out of every "character," and I use that term loosely, on that bus; maybe 2 of them had any dialogue before that scene or even screen time. It was wholly & completely unneeded & was there just to have some extra bloodshed in the movie. The whole section could have been cut from the movie & absolutely nothing would have been lost; actually the movie would have been better served to use that chunk of runtime to give the actual characters in the movie some real development. Would have been nice to have Sally be a real character & not just a glorified and insulting cameo.

Not sure what makes killing unnecessary in a slasher film. Folks watch them for the kills mainly, everyone is free game and typically it's the killer folks scream and cheer for.

If you are cheering for the killer in a slasher film; the filmmakers have failed at their job. I have always held that belief. I love Freddy Krueger, obviously; but I have never gone into an Elm Street film wanting to see him come out successful over the children of Elm Street. It's fine to have a shitty character or two that you don't feel bad when they die because that increases the threat for the characters you are supposed to care about. You should be cheering to see the killer get killed by the main characters; not the other way around.

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I get why so many people like the ending, purely because of the "LOL, wtf?!" shock value of it all, but you have a
School shooting survivor put through another horrifically traumatizing ordeal where she has to witness people being murdered in front of her. She has multiple PTSD episodes during the events of the movie. Force her to have to use firearms, source of a large amount of trauma for her, only for it to mean literally nothing. And you end the movie with that exact same girl having to watch in terror as her older sister is beheaded in front of her...

Left a bad taste in my mouth, ngl

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
If you are cheering for the killer in a slasher film; the filmmakers have failed at their job. I have always held that belief. I love Freddy Krueger, obviously; but I have never gone into an Elm Street film wanting to see him come out successful over the children of Elm Street. It's fine to have a shitty character or two that you don't feel bad when they die because that increases the threat for the characters you are supposed to care about. You should be cheering to see the killer get killed by the main characters; not the other way around.

I don't see it as failure, it's just how they want to do the movie. Lot of slasher films were done in fact made solely to put the main focus on the killer, the filmmakers often have gone in to just create a fun film in which you are there to see folks get it and that your rooting for the killer. Now if the intention is otherwise to have actual characters you care for or a central final character, then yes you hope they succeed and that it's built up in that way. The villain winning in the end for that final jump scare, it's just a common trope.

But so many slashers just are made with the idea of "people came to see the killer", everyone else is just fodder.

Slashers are often just popcorn entertainment, they aren't designed to have you feel bad when characters die, folks will cringe at the gore, but they also cheer and laugh as it's part of the shock entertainment that drives many of these movies.

Is it cheap sleazy film? Yes, but it also is popular entertainment.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
All the kills were brutal. Was mean to the sister with PTSD who is definitely gonna be worse off now, but I don't feel bad for the one who got killed since she kinda helped instigate the whole massacre in the first place with the wrongful eviction leading to the old lady's death. She was super annoying. And they really shoulda saw that coming when they had Leatherface right there and didn't make a point of chainsawing his head off. Maybe the sister will think to do that in a revenge sequel.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
That last kill was unnecessary because they tried to have an updated version of the iconic last scene from the original film while failing miserably.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I'm watching it now. About 20 minutes from the end. Well, fuck me sideways. I knew films could be bad, but this is a revelation. Lol. And don't get me started on the spectacularly ill-advised social commentary, if you can call it that. What a shit show.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I don't see it as failure, it's just how they want to do the movie. Lot of slasher films were done in fact made solely to put the main focus on the killer, the filmmakers often have gone in to just create a fun film in which you are there to see folks get it and that your rooting for the killer. Now if the intention is otherwise to have actual characters you care for or a central final character, then yes you hope they succeed and that it's built up in that way. The villain winning in the end for that final jump scare, it's just a common trope.

But so many slashers just are made with the idea of "people came to see the killer", everyone else is just fodder.

Slashers are often just popcorn entertainment, they aren't designed to have you feel bad when characters die, folks will cringe at the gore, but they also cheer and laugh as it's part of the shock entertainment that drives many of these movies.

Is it cheap sleazy film? Yes, but it also is popular entertainment.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. I love Jason and Freddy, but also for the most part I like the "kids" in those movies too, and it makes the deaths better when you care at least a little about the characters.

In this though I think all the characters were written in a completely unlikeable way.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think it has to be one or the other. I love Jason and Freddy, but also for the most part I like the "kids" in those movies too, and it makes the deaths better when you care at least a little about the characters.

In this though I think all the characters were written in a completely unlikeable way.

Kinda think they just wanted you to root for Leatherface, the whole movie is mean spirited and glorifies him. They quickly make you hate Sally so that was a big "what the....."

I didn't mind the lead girl, but they also didn't give her much to do outside of being a former victim and survivor, there was too many other characters given more screen time to build her up properly

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Kinda think they just wanted you to root for Leatherface, the whole movie is mean spirited and glorifies him. They quickly make you hate Sally so that was a big "what the....."

I didn't mind the lead girl, but they also didn't give her much to do outside of being a former victim and survivor, there was too many other characters given more screen time to build her up properly

Again though Freddy and Jason are the stars of their movies for the most part but the kids can still be likeable or at least just kind of normal. These characters were all written to be dislikeable and that just makes for a shitty slasher imo.

I actually didn't like the lead girl. Nothing again the actress but the way she was written, basically not liking her sisters friends, her intrigue with guns (this sort of topic was never gonna get any kind of decent storytelling in this movie though tbf). She's positioned as, look shes not annoying woke liberal like the rest of them and that's why she lives.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Movie sucked. The last third especially, so much frustrating stupidity. Also I hate that this is supposed to be a direct sequel to the original and yet Leatherface is an invincible monster and looks like he was born after the original. It's very clear that this movie was made by people with zero understanding of the original movie.
As for the movie's attempts at social commentary, massive yikes.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
5 minutes in and I can already tell some of these cast members are going to be insufferable lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This might be one of the worst movies I have recently seen. Definitely worse than Halloween Kills. Leatherface is the most athletic 70 year old ever. Sally did all that preparing just to go out like a scrub. Why did Sally lock the sisters up in the car and not let them drive off in the first place?

"It's you he wants so let me just take the car keys with me and go confront him…wait here…oh wait I changed my mind have the keys"

How do you completely botch running him over? I know you should never question the logic in slasher films but shit seriously sucked lmao.

At least Leatherface jumping out the water like Free Willy was hilarious.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
It's competently directed and has some decent cinematography which puts it above the real garbage tier horror flicks. What makes it exceptionally bad to push it to that garbage tier is almost every creative choice made in the movie. What makes garbage horror flicks tolerable (I'll watch any trash horror flick) is that you like the ideas they had. Like, maybe if they had a budget or a bit more time it'd be better.

All the ideas here are bad

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I refer to it as the "Pinhead effect". Even though the story presents a group as antagonists, one person is picked to be the face of the franchise even if it makes absolutely no sense, so they just shoehorn that character into whatever story.
It's funny because some of the review vids I saw regarding this new Texas Chainsaw Massacre all make the point that I've been saying for a while now, "The people making these movies miss the point and have no clue what the original is about."

Yeah, the Hellraiser series is another one that Dimensions didn't know what the fuck they were doing with, to the point that they were turning non-Hellraiser movies (scripts) into "Hellraiser movies" by adding Pinhead and the Lament Configuration. It's either goddamn producers that just wanna bank off the name recognition by including ideas/scripts that have NOTHING to do with the original, or writers/directors that have a superficial level of knowledge of the original (the kinda people that probably saw these movies as kids and the only thing that stuck with them was "Hehehe, I like when he kills people!!!"), which IS problematic when those types of writers/directors are put in charge of said series.

Oct 31, 2017
Utter shit from start to beginning. Old Sheriff gets chainsaw through here and still manages to survive while ppl on the bus died of less severe injuries.

What is it with these ppl, why do they never chop the head off the main bad person as well.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Should I skip this movie? Im a little nervous that I'll be super offended now.