• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
pp,550x550.u9.jpg

Simple and effective.

👏🏻👏🏻

The only Aya design that truly matters.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I like his design for Jin
maxresdefault.jpg

k72c15lb3d601.jpg

Jin's second form looks like a rejected boss from KH tho

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I don't think a single one of his character designs have aged well, to be honest. Looking at them objectively.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Same tbh. I mean there's a lot going on but who else could make that onesie work so well and with such confidence?

Yes! Easily one of my favorites. Love when an amazing design complements an equally iconic character.
Lightning, the thread.

images
I love so many of Nomura's designs but I think Edea might be my single favorite of his characters
just tremendous work here

latest

latest
tumblr_o0wx6dl1z51qlefcxo5_r1_250.gifv

Wig! Lightning and Edea are the true queens of games, top 5 designs and characters.

I can't even decide which of Light's looks I like best; XIII's Hot Topic Soldier look, XIII-2's Valkyrie slay or Lightning Returns' Battle Queen iconic mess.

Didn't Lightning also win more than one "most popular FF character" poll? Taste won.

wd5UdGh.gif

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
While I agree that FFX-2 designs can be a little busy at times, they fit well in Spira and it's lore.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFX is a mixed bag of character designs but it has a few great ones like Yuna and Auron:

And I know I'm basically painting a target on my back with this one but... LULU IS AN AWESOME CHARACTER DESIGN AND I WILL DIE ON THIS HILL

Look, it's not just some belts plastered randomly all over her like other Nomura designs, this is a whole dress made of them. It's like a fashion statement. You can tell me it's not cool and I won't listen.

Yuna is my favourite design. Everything about her from her costume, design, and overall vibe is simply gorgeous. Almost always makes me happy seeing her.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Behold, our lord and savior in Nomura style:
DoNld1DXcAIdPqb.jpg:large

Nomura did the artwork for Mario Hoops 3-on-3!

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I like what he did with Squall in the first KH. I don't think it's better or worse than OG Squall, but it's a very cool alternative.

ezlB48T.jpg

But then he ruined it in the other games.
Nevermind the usual stupid belts (what is he doing with them on his wrist?) or the usual dumb zippers, such as the ones for his breakaway pants, but the particular zipper that pisses me off here is the shoes. What in the fuck is that zipper supposed to accomplish.

There was another post talking about Kimahri, which is another big "WHAT" from me. That dude can't leave the house without putting on his ankle scarf. Early 2000s Nomura was smoking a shit ton of peyote and I can not be convinced otherwise.

Sorry to shit up the thread, I do generally like Nomura. I still love the aesthetic of FFVII art more than like any other game ever.

Adonais

Oct 29, 2017
Metaverse
latest

It's a shame they had to double down on the mistake that was Lightning instead of giving us a game that explored a much more interesting and well designed character.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
KH1 Sora: Bad
KH2 Sora: Best
KH3 Sora: Good
KH3D Sora: Ok
Additionally KH3 Kairi short hair... bad.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've always been a fan of what he did in FF7 and FF8.

Rinoa has always been one of my favorites.

latest

Malos from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is another good one too.

latest

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Noctis, Lightning and Fang are my favorites. I don't know if he's responsible or partly for the clothing design though.

May 26, 2018
Aya Brea's design is so pure and awesome that I never played the game yet still know her literally anywhere and acknowledge her as 'flippin cool'

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Squall, Rinoa, Aya Brea, Auron, Yuna are my idea of good Nomura design, Kingdom Hearts, TWEWY, The Bouncer I find hideous

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta hard disagree with the KH cloaks. Shit looks like everyone is at an anime expo in the US in the late 90's.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Noctis's outfit was done by clothing brand Roen. Although I do think he probably has some basic input regarding the designs.
Right, I remember seeing that. I think they designed the clothing for the entire boy band. I'd figure Nomura had some input, but when it comes to games like 7 and 13 (games I know he was character designer for), I wonder if he was responsible for their clothing. Roen jumping on for 15 was the first time I'd heard of an outside group helping outfit SE's characters.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Right, I remember seeing that. I think they designed the clothing for the entire boy band. I'd figure Nomura had some input, but when it comes to games like 7 and 13 (games I know he was character designer for), I wonder if he was responsible for their clothing. Roen jumping on for 15 was the first time I'd heard of an outside group helping outfit SE's characters.
Outside of FFXV I don't remember seeing anything about others designing the clothe so I assume it's all him.

Edit: Actually Roberto Ferrari is credited for costume design for Dissidia NT so I guess that's an exception.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Nomura so fascinated with belts?
Ryan: So, zips and belts are prevalent in the character design. Is that just because you like the aesthetic? Does it have meaning behind it? Why does Donald's hat have zips?

Nomura: That was my preference back when I first designed the characters, so 15 years ago. At that time, people teased me about zippers and belts and whatnot and I'm the type of person if somebody eggs me on I'm gonna do it more! Nowadays, I'm not as conscious about adding them in.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/kingdom-hearts-fan-questions-answered-10832218

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
controversial opinion: people wouldn't like the FF7 cast if they didn't grew up with it. I didn't and i think they look just as bad as the rest of his designs.