• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
PSVR has another strong showing
With all this talk about spiritual experiences, I'm having flashbacks to the pre-launch hype for VR, and we all know what happened shortly after launch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning on buy the 199 USD PSVR bundle when it comes out, and I'll probably pick this up too since I'm cursed to continually buy new versions of Tetris. But these reviews aren't sitting right with me...

What happened? I remember having the single most influential gaming experience in over 35 years of gaming. RE7 VR.

Oct 27, 2017
With all this talk about spiritual experiences, I'm having flashbacks to the pre-launch hype for VR, and we all know what happened shortly after launch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still planning on buy the 199 USD PSVR bundle when it comes out, and I'll probably pick this up too since I'm cursed to continually buy new versions of Tetris. But these reviews aren't sitting right with me...
I don't think I get as immersed as other people do in VR. Whatever "wow" moments I get seem tempered, compared to how other people talk about their experiences. That being said, the weekend demo was rad and sold me on the game. PSVR will definitely enhance your experience.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I wish I could customize controls. Just so I could make the Square button rotate counter clockwise and circle rotate clockwise. For some reason I'm having trouble getting X and O oriented in muscle memory and now I'm holding the controller at a weird angle for it.

Go into Accessibility in the PS4 Settings and switch Cross and Square around. That button configuration is saved and you just enable it whenever you play Tetris Effect. :)

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Short after PSVR launch I had a lot of fun with the imo very good launch line up, a few months later came the amazing RE7, followed by Dirt Rally VR, Superhot, Polybius, Farpoint, Skyrim VR etc...

Sindee

Banned
Oct 26, 2018
The first Playstation game that looks enticing to me in years, I might actually give it a go.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Had my eye on this for a while. I feel like I HAVE to play it in VR though. How much do ya'll think is a good deal for PSVR on Black Friday?

Oct 27, 2017

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think I get as immersed as other people do in VR. Whatever "wow" moments I get seem tempered, compared to how other people talk about their experiences. That being said, the weekend demo was rad and sold me on the game. PSVR will definitely enhance your experience.

VR is what you make of it. People seem to have high expectations of it being this holodeck-like experience that you just get lost in and lose the ability to separate fantasy from reality, and then lose interest quickly then they discover that it isn't that.

VR is still very much playing video games, but the camera controls are way better because they're your head. Also everything is in a very convincing, effective 3D with a sense of scale that you don't see when you watch VR videos on your monitor. The tradeoff is that the resolution and overall visual quality is toned down to allow the hardware to render everything fast enough to not make you barf. That said, the right games can be very immersive, or stimulate your mind and body in ways that playing on a TV just can't.

Anyone who is on the VR fence should try Tetris Effect for sure - it's really cool and the closest to Synesthesia that I've ever felt - did for me what Rez always wanted to. But just to make the headset "worth it" I would also recommend Astro Bot, Wipeout, Ultrawings, Moss, BattleZone, and GT Sport.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
If the full game is good as the demo then I wouldn't be shoucked if this is one of the highest rated games of the year.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

There is a certain level of peace that the game brought to me after playing it in VR. It boiled down to one moment. I was playing the game and was initially smiling at the trippy visuals and incredible sound design. After a few minutes, I could feel myself calming. My muscles relaxed and my breathing slowed down. I remember taking a deep breath and letting out a long sigh. I forgot about my day or what horrific thing was in the news and just allowed myself some time to sink deeper.

Well written :D

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played enough to determine if it truly belongs in the pantheon of the Tetris-based elite (Tetrisphere, The New Tetris, Tetris DS) but those scores are more than well deserved.

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018
Awesome to see is reviewing this well, my preloaded is ready to be used but I don't wanna stop my RDR2 playthrough before the story is finished, these scores might finally push me to pickup the pace a little though lol.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm taking a gamble on a PC release. It may prompt me to take out my Rift for the first time in 18 months.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hat damn, and the hits keep rolling.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could customize controls. Just so I could make the Square button rotate counter clockwise and circle rotate clockwise. For some reason I'm having trouble getting X and O oriented in muscle memory and now I'm holding the controller at a weird angle for it.
You can customise controls within your ps4 settings ;)

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, Astro Bot, Deracine, RE7. PSVR is getting more tempting by the day.

$199 w/ Astrobot & Moss for black Friday (probably starting before, actually) - if you've considered jumping in, that's the perfect time.

Edit: oops, I shouldn't make the assumption you're in the US -- but, if you are, that's a heck of a deal

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA
Game had me sold from the beginning, price made me decide to wait, but now reviews had more order it already. Going to be great whenever I muster the willpower to actually use PSVR again (it's a long standing problem of me being to lazy to use it).

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
You forgot someone...

claptrap.jpg

I dont like borderlands, so thats why i forgot probably.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I got VR for my birthday at the tail end of last month and just completed the excellent Astro Bot last week.

This looks like my next purchase.

I feel like I've got into VR at just the right time. :)

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
The Verge – https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/9/18076140/tetris-effect-review-ps4-vr

Tetris Effect is a glorious love letter to Tetris

It's a robust package that does Tetris justice. Unlike many modern interpretations, Tetris Effect doesn't mess with what made the original game so loved. Instead, it augments it, making it feel modern, beautiful, and surprisingly emotional. After nearly three decades, I've finally found a replacement for my favorite NES game.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
2018 and we could have Tetris as GOTY.

This year has been amazing for Sony as exclusives and specially PSVR.