• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Tesla has issued voluntary recalls for nearly half a million vehicles to address potential failures in its trunk latching systems, as first reported by Barron's. The recalls apply to all Model 3 units released between 2017 and 2020, as well as certain Model S units.

For the Model 3, Tesla believes the opening and closing of the trunk could damage the cable harness attaching the rearview camera, causing the camera to unexpectedly fail. The Model S issue is more serious, potentially preventing the front trunk from fully latching.
The Model S recall is particularly concerning because the issue affects the front trunk, which could obstruct the driver's view of the road if it flies open while driving. In the affected Model S cars, "the front trunk latch assembly may be misaligned, preventing the secondary hood latch from engaging," Tesla told NHTSA in an official filing.

Rest of the article at The Verge

Recall me if old

Last edited:

ThiefofDreams

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't own a tesla and no affinity for musk, but this is a pretty mild recall. I just got one for my fusion that says the driver door can unlatch itself while driving.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Thread whining
Why is there a thread on this? I mean, GM, Ford, Toyota has had far more serious life endangering recalls.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
I know this place hates Tesla but it happens. The mid 00s F150 had an airbag issue and the new model Tacoma had a crankshaft problem when it first came out and the newer Civic had a timing belt snap/cvt problem.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
My vehicle had a recall on the fuel pump where the car could have unexpectedly turned off while driving. No thread was made about Toyota.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Not that big of a deal unless getting it fixed is a hassle but beyond that it doesn't seem dangerous or anything.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
If this seemed threadworthy to you, and you drive, then I would suggest that you should check if your vehicle has any open recalls.

Not being snarky, or defensive of Tesla, or whatever. This is something everyone should do now and then as part of their vehicle maintenance.

ceej

Mar 9, 2021
Reno, Nv.
My parents Bolt had a recall because it's batteries could catch on fire--so they weren't supposed to park it in a garage for several months until it was fixed. Don't think it's fixed yet, maybe they finally were able to...

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is a good thing. If we want to shit on Elon by all means do it, but this is not it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Why is there a thread on this? I mean, GM, Ford, Toyota has had far more serious life endangering recalls.
There have been threads on major recalls on the past, like the major Chevrolet Bolt recall that Chevrolet is still working through . Honestly, it helps surface it to people though I would expect Tesla could push a notification to the owners of the affected vehicles on the car itself to notify them.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I know it's pretty middling in the grand scheme of things. But Musk is a massive piece of shit who deserves a hell of a lot more hate than he gets, so fuck it.

I doubt he's much different than any other CEO, he is just public about it and somehow made it appealing to people.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
My parents Bolt had a recall because it's batteries could catch on fire--so they weren't supposed to park it in a garage for several months until it was fixed. Don't think it's fixed yet, maybe they finally were able to...

Chevy isn't run by Musk so it's not an issue if your parents car can instantly burst into flames.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the plus-side, they're getting a whole new battery pack, so if they live it'll be like the car's almost new.
A new battery if the old one doesn't burn me to a husk in my sleep you say!

no-well-hmm.gif

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai have a good record for the least amount of recalls. Reliability ratings are important in the industry. American made cars have traditionally ranked poorly.

Using "everybody has recalls" whataboutisms doesn't justify poor quality control.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a pretty standard recall and doesn't seem like an extreme safety issue, and doesn't seem especially unusual.

For some comparison, as a former Acura/Honda owner, Honda had to recall over 12million Honda/Acuras for airbag failures in 2012. TIn 2021, Honda recalled over 600,000 Acura/Hondas for fuel pump issues. Throughout the 2000s, Honda had to recall tens of millions of TL, TLX, Accords, and other full sized models for faulty transmissions (my dad's 2001 Acura TL, and my 2009 Acura TL both had to be recalled for this, my dad's actually had the problem while driving, shifting into neutral unexpectedly). That's just one car company, tens of millions of recalls in the last 10 years, some pretty benign (shitty ass bluetooth), some annoying & expensive (more fuel usage, more oil usage), a few life threatening (the airbag issue, the transmission issue).

We all know why.

"Tesla" appears in the title of anything and it automatically rockets up all of our news feed algorithms, becomes good reply bait on this website. I'm not into Teslas, I don't like Elon Musk, but the car brand lives rent free in so many people's algorithm-controlled-brains.

Because the genius of Musk and his revolutionary business and manufacturing model is supposed to be above these kinds of problems.

Is it? According to who?

Last edited:

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Seems minor compared to the amount of recall mail I would get on my last ford telling me all 4 of my doors might fly open while driving the damn car Lol.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

General Motors recalls all Chevy Bolts for fire risk News

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2021/08/20/chevy-bolt-recall-2021-gm-fire-risk/8217053002/ Absolutely insane, I almost leased one of these too.
www.resetera.com

[May 4] CBS News/AP: Hyundai recalls more than 390,000 vehicles due to possible engine fires News

CBS News has published this AP report that Hyundai is recalling 390,000+ vehicles due to risk of engine fires and that owners of 2013-2015 Santa Fe SUVs "should park outdoors and away from structures" for the time being: Hyundai recalls more than 390,000 vehicles, due to possible engine fires -...
www.resetera.com

[December 5] Reuters: Kia recalls 295,000 U.S. vehicles for fire risk, specific list of model years and models in OP. News

Reuters has reported that Kia has issued a recall of 295,000 US vehicles because "an engine compartment fire can occur while driving", this recall "covers some 2012-2013 model year Sorento, 2012-2015 Forte and Forte Koup, 2011-2013 Optima Hybrid, 2014-2015 Soul, and 2012 Sportage vehicles," Kia...
www.resetera.com

Toyota Recalls 3.2 Million Vehicles Globally to Fix Fuel Pumps

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-04/toyota-recalls-3-2-million-vehicles-globally-to-fix-fuel-pumps List of US models here: https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-is-conducting-a-safety-recall-involving-certain-toyota-and-lexus-vehicles-4/ Canada...
www.resetera.com

Honda/Acura recalls 1.1 million vehicles in second attempt at air bag fix

Honda recalls 1.1 million vehicles in second attempt at air bag fix (Washington Post) Honda recalls 1.2M more vehicles with dangerous air bags (Yahoo/AP) In short, repairs made under a previous airbag recall used a part that's recently been found to be faulty, necessitating a second repair on...
www.resetera.com

Ford recalls about 1.4 million cars - Steering wheel comes off... :|

Ford recalls nearly 1.4 million vehicles due to steering wheel becoming loose and in some cases coming off while driving. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/03/14/ford-recalls-nearly-1-point-4-million-cars-steering-wheel-can-come-loose.html Affecting Fusion and MKZ vehicles from 2014 - 2018 mostly...

and those had threads. Your trunk slowly killing your reverse camera isn't as bad as your steering wheel flying off, no, but there's a reason reverse cameras are required standard safety equipment now. It's not like they're recalling floor mats.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bitch eating crackers vibe
Word.

My Sentra had to get the transmission replaced at 65k miles. A known issue with the CVT that will slowly stop being able to switch gears, until you basically lose power after 1st gear. No recall. Just pray it fails while you're under warranty.

A trunk hatch recall is a free throw.