SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Just breaking, after Tesla paused pre-orders earlier today for these announcements: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/28/tes...-ahead-of-announcement-redirects-website.html

Highlights:
- Standard $35k Model 3 is now on sale
- Q1 most likely won't turn a profit, but Musk expects a return to profitability in Q2
- Tesla is reducing showrooms and emphasizing online sales

The second point was expected ever since their previous quarter's update. The $35k model and reducing showrooms were unexpected though.

edit: Oh, apparently $TSLA was halted prior to the announcement too. It's now down about 3%.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Might have to finally jump in a few months.

I hope they didn't need the battery. It'd be disappointing if they cheaped out on the cooling system and it charges slower or heats up/degrades faster like the Leaf.

Edit:

Customers are now able to order the $35,000 Model 3 with a standard interior and standard battery pack enabling 130mph top speed and 5.6s 0-60s acceleration.
Tesla is also making a new "Partial Premium Interior" with better seats than the standard interior available with a different "standard range plus" battery pack for a $2,000 premium
The Model 3 Standard Range Plus results in 240 miles of range, a top speed of 140mph, 0-60mph acceleration of just 5.3 seconds

Standard Interior Includes:

Manual seat and steering adjustment
Cloth seart and base trim
Basic audio
Standard maps and navigation
Center console with storage and 4 USB ports

Partial Premium Interior Includes:

12-way power adjustable heated front seats
Premium seat material and trim
Upgrade audio – immersive sound
Standard maps & navigation
LED fog lamps
Center console with storage, 4 USB ports docking for 2 smartphones

Premium Interior Includes:

12-way power adjustable front and rear heated seats
Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
In-car internet streaming music & media
Internet browser
Location-aware automativ garage door opener
LED fob lamps
Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones

All Interior Include:

Tinted glass roof with ultraviolet and infrared protection
Auto dimming, power folding, heated side mirrors
Music and media over Bluetooth
Custom driver profiles

So that's 4 battery pack configurations and some expected reductions in the interior.

Last edited:

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see what the basic interior looks like. Doesn't even have heated seats lol...

OP
OP

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Might have to finally jump in a few months.

I hope they didn't need the battery. It'd be disappointing if they cheaped out on the cooling system and it charges slower or heats up/degrades faster like the Leaf.

I doubt it. The $35k model puts it at a similar range and price compared to the Bolt, and the Bolt does have a liquid cooled system for its battery.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
All models got a price drop and software update for increased performance:

SR: $35k, 220mi, 130mph, 5,6s(0 to 60), non-PUP(premium upgrades package)
SR+: $37k, 240mi, 140mph, 5,3s, partial-PUP
MR: $40k, 264mi, 140mph, 5,2s, PUP
LR: $43k, 325mi, 140mph, 5,0s, PUP
AWD: $47k, 310mi, 145mph, 4,5s, PUP
P: $58k, 310mi, 162mph, 3,2s, PUP

Auto pilot is now $3k(dropped from $5k)

screen-shot-2019-03-01-at-7-03-52-am-png.381623

Last edited:

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Great news.

Wait how much is performance + AP? Or is that included?

Not included. Performance is $58k auto pilot is $3k so $61k, that's with black paint and there's also full self driving for $5k added now that includes summon and navigation on Autopilot now.. I suggest any one curious to play around with the configuration at tesla.com there's a ton of options/variables

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Why would you pay $35k for such a basic, stripped down beater

If that's your budget, there are dozens of better cars out there with more features that drive better. I think the S is a fantastic car, but the base Model 3 leaves me wanting.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

If that's your budget, there are dozens of better cars out there with more features that drive better. I think the S is a fantastic car, but the base Model 3 leaves me wanting.
because it's probably still an extremely fun car to drive.

Isn't this a huge issue for those tax credits since they waited so long?
no, the tax credits expired. Nothing to be done about it now, especially not with this president and congress.
yikes what? Have you never seen a model 3 before? That looks the same as the premium interior but with cloth seats.

Jan 15, 2019
The standard plus option seems like the best deal. 20 miles extra range, a little quicker 0-60, better audio, power/heated seats, and a higher top speed for an extra 2k over the 35k base.

Edit- that said, if you don't care if the car is electric or not I can't recommend the Alfa Romeo Giulia enough. Best new car you can get in this price range in my opinion.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
actually i haven't. that looks horrible.
good, don't buy one.

Had ours for 2 months now, wouldnt buy any other car.

Is the tablet adjustable? I'm 6ft 5in and mainly equal ratio in torso and legs. I feel like the tablet could be a problem for me.
no it's not.

Honestly, you at 6'5 the car is probably going to feel small for you. Unless you've ridden in a BMW 3 series and liked it, which is about the same size.

Feb 1, 2018
Do showrooms really cost that much money?

The rent for the units their showrooms are in, usually malls and high end buildings, is pretty insane. Not to mention staffing and overhead.

If that's your budget, there are dozens of better cars out there with more features that drive better.

None of them are fully electric with 200+ mile range. That's the point of the car, to get those specs at a lower price point.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This is 35k before fuel savings are factored in.

At least they aren't doing that to market this.

But it looks like this announcement is hiding bad news.

Mass Layoffs,

Price cuts across the board.

Declaration that Q1 will probably not be profitable.

Looks like thats why TSLA is down about 3% atm in after market trading.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I mean to be fair, not everyone wants a bunch of features in a car. I like basic cars, with few features, because its less things to deal with/go wrong.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
To each their own, but one of the major selling points for me after test driving a model 3 was how much i loved the minimalist interior. It is also super comfy to sit in and there is a ton of room in the cabin.
Exactly. When my wife told me she wanted to go test drive one. I didn't tell her any thing about it. But she had been doing her own research. She later told me she wasn't sure if she would like the interior but once she got in and drove it. She loved everything about it.

The chevy bolt is fully electric with 200+ mile range.
yea, but the bolt is ugly af.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone make a big purchase like this without seeing one in person and test driving?

Yeap, on the order page:

SHEESH thats shady as hell still.

Because even worse is then they annouce the savings but then if you want to do that, you would have to add the expenses, like insurance.

And Tesla's do not insure well.

Oct 25, 2017
SHEESH thats shady as hell still.

Because even worse is then they annouce the savings but then if you want to do that, you would have to add the expenses, like insurance.

And Tesla's do not insure well.

It's also long term over 6 years, on an assume dollar per gallon and assumed driving amount. It's just really shady for me when doing financial break down of TCO

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I mean calling Trump ugly AF is also subjective, doesn't make it any less true.

I'm not sure how my point was so misconstrued. The guy said there are no other options for full electric at 200+ mile range, before he brought up looks or anything like that. I just corrected him because it is untrue.

costs like $2-3k more to get that
You can absolutely get a new chevy bolt for 35k or less, before tax credits, depending on where you live.

Anyway, I hope the model 3 is incredibly successful at this price point. The more people switch over, the easier life is going to be for all electric vehicle owners. I'm seeing more and more of them on the road and it makes me really happy.