• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Finally picking my car this week. Got my vin Sunday. I was shopping for auto insurance a few weeks back. Got an estimate from LM of 115. After my vin was added my price doubled. The guy on the phone said they were confused. We both got errors prior. Checked other insurance too and eveything is close to 250. I have a clean record I'm in the NY area. Idk wtf why the difference is so crazy. Idk what else to check or other recommendations. I expected a jump in price but not more than double....
some insurers don't know how to deal with the teslas, still, for some reason.

ours went up marginally from a 10 year old audi a4. we use allstate.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
some insurers don't know how to deal with the teslas, still, for some reason.

ours went up marginally from a 10 year old audi a4. we use allstate.
That's what my family uses now. 3 cars on the policy less than 350 all together. This makes no sense to me. I was gonna do a new policy. But I'm gonna see if i join my folks what the price will be.
i still have a bit of time but barely. Idk what else to try i checked Allstate they wanted almost 300. Idk if something is an error I've never seen this big of an insurance jump

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Finally picking my car this week. Got my vin Sunday. I was shopping for auto insurance a few weeks back. Got an estimate from LM of 115. After my vin was added my price doubled. The guy on the phone said they were confused. We both got errors prior. Checked other insurance too and eveything is close to 250. I have a clean record I'm in the NY area. Idk wtf why the difference is so crazy. Idk what else to check or other recommendations. I expected a jump in price but not more than double....

My insurance would have gone up significantly for Geico (whom I'd been a customer for for probably 10 years), but was significantly cheaper through progressive. So might check there if you haven't yet.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
For some reason Tesla is offering me 3k more for my 3 then they were 2 months ago. It makes the Y look tempting...

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a model 3 on the street in front of my place that hasn't moved in 4-6 weeks, maybe more. There have been quite a few hot and sunny days in the 90s, but it's been mostly in the 70s. I'm curious if anyone has an idea of how long it can sit without charging, assuming it started at 100% before the owner parked it, before it becomes a problem.

I can't speak to 'days' but I can on heat. Wife and I were in Palm Springs and Joshua Tree over Labor Day and it was 120. 2020 Car was ace throughout. Bonus off-roading made us need to fill the tires though I've got sport ones.

Put in a reservation for the Cybertruck today. Thought I'd hold on to a spot in line while I debate getting an M3 or cyber in late 2021.

If you NEED it or it serves a purpose get ready for your new best friend. I work in EV, minutes from Tesla with a bunch of stolen talent and they were crazy after the presentation because they were part of try out. Roomy, easy, fast as what the fuck.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I can't speak to 'days' but I can on heat. Wife and I were in Palm Springs and Joshua Tree over Labor Day and it was 120. 2020 Car was ace throughout. Bonus off-roading made us need to fill the tires though I've got sport ones.

If you NEED it or it serves a purpose get ready for your new best friend. I work in EV, minutes from Tesla with a bunch of stolen talent and they were crazy after the presentation because they were part of try out. Roomy, easy, fast as what the fuck.
I could definitely use a truck. Seems like I borrow my dads once a week.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Update: got my car last Friday. Love it so much. The gray and white interior looks amazing. I also sorted out the insurance issue. another long story but i was able to get it vastly more realistic price that i wanted.

the only thing i am confused about is sentry mode. I got it working but it seems like when it kicks in it does not record still but i think i kinda figured it out. the dash can and sentry mode launcher doesn't always show up too which is annoying. Either way, I'm beyond pleased with the car.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Update: got my car last Friday. Love it so much. The gray and white interior looks amazing. I also sorted out the insurance issue. another long story but i was able to get it vastly more realistic price that i wanted.

the only thing i am confused about is sentry mode. I got it working but it seems like when it kicks in it does not record still but i think i kinda figured it out. the dash can and sentry mode launcher doesn't always show up too which is annoying. Either way, I'm beyond pleased with the car.

Might be an issue with the drump drive not always connecting properly or something. Did you get a high speed one?

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
I saved for a long time. I've been a good boy. I deserve it.

This is my stance too(and 2020 was probably the best year to do it, too). Also good for you, you do deserve it indeed.

But I am waiting a bit, still. Have the funds secured/saved up to get either a performance 3 or Y right now, but I don't want to pull the trigger too early, only to see those 4680 cell batteries roll out in the near future. I have this thing where I like to do my research and be methodical about stuff before I execute, and can't be rushed.

I finished off my current daily driver financing a while back, so I may just continue to save up further, possibly treat myself to a few small gadgets here and there, but eventually I think I might want one more ICE engine driver(no financing this time, just acquire it, and then sell off when needed), before going 100% EV. Or if I end up continuing to save well into next year, may look at the S instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody get the holiday update? Sounds like it's a bit underwhelming this year, but more features are supposed to roll out in the coming weeks.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Did you get a long range? That is the one thing I regret, not getting the longer range model... well that and not buying FSD at $5,000. Maybe over compensating, but I've got the CyberTruck on order with the +500mi range.

how often do you get low on range? Realistically if I got the model 3 the SR+ should be plenty for me but of course more range is always welcome. If its a keeper then you want to account for a little range degredation etc but the price is a fair jump over the base model

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Did you get a long range? That is the one thing I regret, not getting the longer range model... well that and not buying FSD at $5,000. Maybe over compensating, but I've got the CyberTruck on order with the +500mi range.
I did go with the long range. Super happy with it especially with the range boost to 353 miles. I don't have to charge every day which is nice. Plus I'm still in the honeymoon phase so I'm driving about as inefficiently as possible at the moment.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
how often do you get low on range? Realistically if I got the model 3 the SR+ should be plenty for me but of course more range is always welcome. If its a keeper then you want to account for a little range degredation etc but the price is a fair jump over the base model
Realistically, we've had range issues only a few times last year, and by issue I mean we had to charge going and coming back. Only one time did we have to drive slowly to make sure we made it to a supercharger. Supercharger stops have been fun for me, so no complaints.

We have a cabin in Big Bear Lake, CA that I have to go to maintain consistently, but also enjoy as a get away. That trip is at the edge of the Standard Plus's range because of the elevation and distance. We also took the Tesla to Yosemite National Park, and that was the most range anxiety I've experienced, as once we entered the park we could only realistically charge at RV parks. My wife does not need range on a daily basis, as she commutes 5 miles.

I've wanted to take road trips with my family, and with the 500mi range of the truck, that will be much more doable. The Model 3 that we have would make us very anxious on a road trip for say CA to TX.

For me, it's both that ability to not worry about these frequent trips to the lake house, but also what you said about degradation. If it loses 20% range in 5 years, I'd like to start out at +500mi rather than +250 of the single motor Cyber Truck.

I did go with the long range. Super happy with it especially with the range boost to 353 miles. I don't have to charge every day which is nice. Plus I'm still in the honeymoon phase so I'm driving about as inefficiently as possible at the moment.
353 is a range that I would definitely feel very comfortable taking road trips with. I'm past one year owning the thing, and still love driving it.. so the honeymoon phase lasts for a long time. Especially with all the great changes I saw along the way.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I've wanted to take road trips with my family, and with the 500mi range of the truck, that will be much more doable. The Model 3 that we have would make us very anxious on a road trip for say CA to TX.
theres several people in our houston tesla group that have done houston to CA in teslas without problem.
For me, it's both that ability to not worry about these frequent trips to the lake house, but also what you said about degradation. If it loses 20% range in 5 years, I'd like to start out at +500mi rather than +250 of the single motor Cyber Truck.
if your battery loses 20% in 5 years your looking at likely battery warranty issue, as i have yet to see any teslas lose that much and its likely yours would keep losing before the warranty is up.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
theres several people in our houston tesla group that have done houston to CA in teslas without problem.
if your battery loses 20% in 5 years your looking at likely battery warranty issue, as i have yet to see any teslas lose that much and its likely yours would keep losing before the warranty is up.
I think you have me wrong. I love our Standard Range Plus model. Like I said, in over a year of ownership, I had one instance of real range anxiety. All other times, the superchargers were really well placed and were a joy to use. The longer range models would have been better for my use, but I'm very happy with Model 3 that I have.

I don't actually see any degradation at this point. I'm just thinking in about five to ten years, it may be somewhere in that range and stay there.. probably wrong, and it will be around 90% for the useful life of the car. That being said 90% of 500+ would be nice for 20 years.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Realistically, we've had range issues only a few times last year, and by issue I mean we had to charge going and coming back. Only one time did we have to drive slowly to make sure we made it to a supercharger. Supercharger stops have been fun for me, so no complaints.

We have a cabin in Big Bear Lake, CA that I have to go to maintain consistently, but also enjoy as a get away. That trip is at the edge of the Standard Plus's range because of the elevation and distance. We also took the Tesla to Yosemite National Park, and that was the most range anxiety I've experienced, as once we entered the park we could only realistically charge at RV parks. My wife does not need range on a daily basis, as she commutes 5 miles.

353 is a range that I would definitely feel very comfortable taking road trips with. I'm past one year owning the thing, and still love driving it.. so the honeymoon phase lasts for a long time. Especially with all the great changes I saw along the way.
I did get a year of free supercharging when I took delivery. Too bad I didn't get the 3 months of FSD too!

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
I did get a year of free supercharging when I took delivery. Too bad I didn't get the 3 months of FSD too!
That's a sweet bonus. Hopefully, you get good use out of it. Imagine if you had time away from work, you could drive across the US and back and not have spent anything on charging. You could also get one of those mattresses and save a little by staying in the car with camp modes once in awhile. Owning a Tesla is wild!

It's kind of crazy that these are things that we Tesla owners put so much value it. They're things that I sort of couldn't imagine before buying the Tesla. It's a different world owning an EV as good as the Model 3.

I had thought $5k for FSD was overpriced until I started using autopilot. Now, at $8k, I'm considering it for the CyberTruck. LOL... I'll probably skip it again and subscribe before long trips and cancel after. I'm sorta cheap like that.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Midnight silver metallic with the chrome delete looks great and all, but I can't see the door handles when I leave early in the morning for work!

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I had to drop my new model 3 off for service to address some minor stuff I noticed during delivery a couple days ago. I got a model S 75d as a rental. Man, that thing was so dated. I was thinking a refresh was in order. Glad to see they took some design cues from the mode3/Y.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Used prices for Model 3 are just as high as a new car! What if I sold mine, waited for a few months and buy Model Y 🤔

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on the Tesla subreddit did this, and basically broke even cost-wise while netting more range, quicker 0-60, and some newer conveniences like the power trunk.
I would do this, but the only wildcard for me is EV tax credit. I got it for my MR but as far as I know, it has expired for Tesla now. The new Infrastructure bill has it added back I believe, so kinda in a holding pattern for now.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I would do this, but the only wildcard for me is EV tax credit. I got it for my MR but as far as I know, it has expired for Tesla now. The new Infrastructure bill has it added back I believe, so kinda in a holding pattern for now.

That's the key for me as well. I'm "in the market", you could say, but I won't place an order until that bill is passed. No brainer if it's at least $7500 federal.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I have been looking at Model 3s and saw some info about this tax credit.

It has been amended to not include vehicles over $40K and those making over $100K.

I found this thread because I wondering if anyone could clarify the autopilot package. When building my model it's another $10K but now I see Tesla launched a autopilot service for $199 a month. Is the 10K for the hardware and another $199 to actually use it each month or is it a lifetime payment vs a subscription model? Thanks for any clarification anyone here might give.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017

It has been amended to not include vehicles over $40K and those making over $100K.

I found this thread because I wondering if anyone could clarify the autopilot package. When building my model it's another $10K but now I see Tesla launched a autopilot service for $199 a month. Is the 10K for the hardware and another $199 to actually use it each month or is it a lifetime payment vs a subscription model? Thanks for any clarification anyone here might give.

I don't believe that amendment is final. Needs to pass both in the house too I believe, and could change again.

Autopilot comes "free" with the car. That is highway, traffic aware cruise control while keeping you in a lane. You can meke the car change lanes via stalk. Full self driving is what costs the extra $10k up front, or for subscription later. It includes "navigate on autopilot" which allows for automatic lane changing, passing slower cars, and exit taking. It also includes summon, and eventually "city driving" which is in beta right now.

So you can choose to either pay 10k up front, buy it later from within the app (possibly at a higher price? that's the way it used to work), or you can pay the $200 a month. The car comes with the hardware equipped, so it's either 10k to be one and done and have it for the life of the car, or $200 a month, but I don't believe that counts towards a 10k total or anything. If you paid for it 50 months in a row, you would continue to pay after.

The only people who need to pay for hardware are those with an older hardware 2.0 model that are opting for the subscription. It's $1000 in that case for hardware, and $200 or $100 a month depending on the level of autopilot they paid for previously.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Bolded is goddamn bullshit! Well thanks for pointing out.

And it looks like they merged Autopilot and FSD into one package. Previously, you could get Autopilot for 3k and FSD for 7k...this sucks. Looks like you will need to either pay 10k upfront or in monthly installments. I will say that the real "heart" of a tesla is its autopilot feature. It is leaps and bounds better than anything else. I wish they still kept that feature separate from FSD.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
And it looks like they merged Autopilot and FSD into one package. Previously, you could get Autopilot for 3k and FSD for 7k...this sucks. Looks like you will need to either pay 10k upfront or in monthly installments. I will say that the real "heart" of a tesla is its autopilot feature. It is leaps and bounds better than anything else. I wish they still kept that feature separate from FSD.

They merged "enhanced autopilot" with FSD and made it $10k. Basic autopilot (outlined in my last reply above yours), is included free with all cars currently.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bolded is goddamn bullshit! Well thanks for pointing out.

I don't believe that amendment is final. Needs to pass both in the house too I believe, and could change again.

Autopilot comes "free" with the car. That is highway, traffic aware cruise control while keeping you in a lane. You can meke the car change lanes via stalk. Full self driving is what costs the extra $10k up front, or for subscription later. It includes "navigate on autopilot" which allows for automatic lane changing, passing slower cars, and exit taking. It also includes summon, and eventually "city driving" which is in beta right now.

So you can choose to either pay 10k up front, buy it later from within the app (possibly at a higher price? that's the way it used to work), or you can pay the $200 a month. The car comes with the hardware equipped, so it's either 10k to be one and done and have it for the life of the car, or $200 a month, but I don't believe that counts towards a 10k total or anything. If you paid for it 50 months in a row, you would continue to pay after.

The only people who need to pay for hardware are those with an older hardware 2.0 model that are opting for the subscription. It's $1000 in that case for hardware, and $200 or $100 a month depending on the level of autopilot they paid for previously.

Thank you both for the detailed replies. The extra 10K might be worth it long term but at the same time I think by the time I feel it's working perfectly and legal in most states I'll be ready to purchase my next car. Would gladly drop the 10K is the autopilot subscription was tied to me and not the car as long as I kept purchasing Teslas.

My only other hang up which is minor is that Tesla doesn't support android auto. I know their own system works well but I hate to be locked into relying on just Tesla software and updates.

Thanks again. Hope to have a model 3 before the end of the year.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
They merged "enhanced autopilot" with FSD and made it $10k. Basic autopilot (outlined in my last reply above yours), is included free with all cars currently.
Ah ok. Yeah when I got my M3, I opted for EAP for $3k, and that was enough for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I feel lucky to have gotten FSD for $2k during the EAP-upgrade fire sale, and then I have to remind myself that I haven't actually gotten anything for my 2k.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes I feel lucky to have gotten FSD for $2k during the EAP-upgrade fire sale, and then I have to remind myself that I haven't actually gotten anything for my 2k.
Assuming you've gotten the hardware upgrade, you have stop lights on your display! lol...... I also have a suspicion that regular autopilot enhancements are being focused on hardware 3.0 too. I'm tempted to pay the $1000 for hardware 3, since the FSD subscription would only be $100/month for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming you've gotten the hardware upgrade, you have stop lights on your display! lol...... I also have a suspicion that regular autopilot enhancements are being focused on hardware 3.0 too. I'm tempted to pay the $1000 for hardware 3, since the FSD subscription would only be $100/month for me.
Yep and I do like having the visualizations! But I really want into that FSD beta.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sorry but this sounds like complete bullshit, there's barely any EV cars less than 40k and frankly the ones that are aren't worth buying.

Yeah if that amendment passes they might as well not have the credit at all. I still don't know why they limited they amount of credits a single manufacturer could take in the original bill. If people are choosing a single company overwhelming then the other manufactures need to improve their offerings.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Yeah if that amendment passes they might as well not have the credit at all. I still don't know why they limited they amount of credits a single manufacturer could take in the original bill. If people are choosing a single company overwhelming then the other manufactures need to improve their offerings.
i just looked it up, it already passed, but its non binding which means it can't make it into the final law, however its supposed to "Steer discussion on that topic"

i will be writing to senators about it. As i already said that would pretty much make the ev credit useless for most cars and many car buyers.

Oct 29, 2017
Question for the Tesla owners here. I ordered an model 3 early July. Is there anywhere on the website that would tell me where I'm at in the process? I'm also trading in my current car. Do I trade my old car at the time of delivery?

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Question for the Tesla owners here. I ordered an model 3 early July. Is there anywhere on the website that would tell me where I'm at in the process? I'm also trading in my current car. Do I trade my old car at the time of delivery?
I traded in my car when I took delivery. Don't recall if there's anything that shows when you can expect your car though. I bought mine last spring when there wasn't much of a wait at all, so I never checked.