• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I've made a second attempt at Alaho State and have been enjoying it more than expected:
So glad Yusuke is gone. He seems like nice enough of a guy and is very young, but he had to be the most cringe worthy person that's been on the show. He makes Tap seem like a smooth operator by comparison.

The new actor guy, who's name I can't recall right now is a welcome addition to the cast. He seems willing to actually go on dates and for now is bringing the rest out of their shells.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Lauren yet. I didn't feel like she covered herself in glory with the Yusuke awkwardness, but I still find myself liking her nonetheless, probably because she's gorgeous.

Oct 27, 2017
I've made a second attempt at Alaho State and have been enjoying it more than expected:
So glad Yusuke is gone. He seems like nice enough of a guy and is very young, but he had to be the most cringe worthy person that's been on the show. He makes Tap seem like a smooth operator by comparison.

The new actor guy, who's name I can't recall right now is a welcome addition to the cast. He seems willing to actually go on dates and for now is bringing the rest out of their shells.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Lauren yet. I didn't feel like she covered herself in glory with the Yusuke awkwardness, but I still find myself liking her nonetheless, probably because she's gorgeous.
Wait till Cheri enters the house

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
My wife and I got caught up on Netflix when the latest episodes dropped at the end of July. I feel like the wait is too hard and I want to find another series. It's time to explore whatever else Netflix has to offer in the Terrace House line of shows.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I've joined the Japan Netflix watchers. Holy shit... this season is really taking unexpected turns. The reveal that Noah and Seina likely hooked up on the camping trip was great. Seina seems kinda fake now. And WOW at Noah at the end.

I keep going back and forth on Yui, but she was totally right about Noah. He seemed like he could be a total fuccboi at first but seemed kinda sweet. But Yui's assessment of him seems pretty accurate. Really bizarre that he laughed immediately after Shohei called him out for that. I could not have kept my cool like Shohei did.

Aya is great, though. I feel she's being a little too aggressive towards Taka tbh, but she's at least cute doing it and it seems to be somewhat reciprocated.

I'm pretty glad we have a villain now, though. Hopefully he continues down this path and there's more drama. >:) Hopefully Yiu and Shohei spill the beans to Taka and turn him. Oh it could be really fun.

Last edited:

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've joined the Japan Netflix watchers. Holy shit... this season is really taking unexpected turns. The reveal that Noah and Seina likely hooked up on the camping trip was great. Seina seems kinda fake now. And WOW at Noah at the end.

I keep going back and forth on Yui, but she was totally right about Noah. He seemed like he could be a total fuccboi at first but seemed kinda sweet. But Yui's assessment of him seems pretty accurate. Really bizarre that he laughed immediately after Shohei called him out for that. I could not have kept my cool like Shohei did.

Aya is great, though. I feel she's being a little too aggressive towards Taka tbh, but she's at least cute doing it and it seems to be somewhat reciprocated.

I'm pretty glad we have a villain now, though. Hopefully he continues down this path and there's more drama. >:) Hopefully Yiu and Shohei spill the beans to Taka and turn him. Oh it could be really fun.

Welcome. =) You made the right choice.

Oct 27, 2017

What does fuccboi mean?

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the presenters weird fascination with Yui. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of find her irritating.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that kiss was very ... sexual assaulty... quite frankly. Seina's expression and body language immediately afterwards.. :/

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No idea what I'm in for but I've gotten my hands on the very first season (that's not on Netflix).

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Ok that kiss was very ... sexual assaulty... quite frankly. Seina's expression and body language immediately afterwards.. :/
She also tells the girls they kissed again in the taxi and that she didn't dislike it, so I don't know about that whole situation. Can't deny I was also like "Huh, Shouhei dude" at first tho.

No idea what I'm in for but I've gotten my hands on the very first season (that's not on Netflix).
The most enjoyable reality show around!
Honestly, just the way it's shot almost like a regular TV series adds a lot to it. If it looked like a Western show, like Jersey Shore or something (not even talking about the content, just in terms of presentation), it wouldn't be the same at all.

Last edited:

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watching this and surprise, surprise! Seina kisses a guy at a party and says she can't remember it, but heard it from someone else. Hmmmmm.... lol

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
did you get it with a Japanese Netflix account and the Patreon subs episodes? Im thinking about getting that
Nah, I got them another way :s
From the OP:
For the longest time it hasn't be available for non-Japanese viewers, but a group of fans decided to sub this season. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to that project but a quick Google search will lead you there.

The most enjoyable reality show around!
Honestly, just the way it's shot almost like a regular TV series adds a lot to it. If it looked like a Western show, like Jersey Shore or something (not even talking about the content, just in terms of presentation), it wouldn't be the same at all.
Five episodes and I'm HOOKED.
So, this thread is for all the seasons? I can talk about Next Door here even if no one else is watching it at the moment? :p
The only thing that gets me down is that I'm in the middle of a divorce, it's rough and I know we would have binged this with my wife and we would have enjoyed it together a lot if I had known about it earlier. It's the first thing I'm watching alone in a long time and not having anyone to share it with is depressing... But hey, there's this thread, I'm married to Era now.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Five episodes and I'm HOOKED.
So, this thread is for all the seasons? I can talk about Next Door here even if no one else is watching it at the moment? :p
Yeah, it's a general thread. Having multiple threads for each season wouldn't be efficient.

--
Oh man, that Seina trial was fucking hilarious with Yui's questions starting with "Hey, do you like kissing?" LMAO
Shouhei my dude, that was a hell of a sendoff. The Shouhei/Taka bromance was definitely a highlight of OND.
New member seems fun, please don't disappoint me like Noah!

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It was sad seeing Shouhei go, but I think it's time. His kissing shenanigans definitely didn't get him any points in my book.
I have no idea what Yui is trying to do with her new persona. I wonder if it's just the editing that makes her seem act so different or is she just playing it up for the TV.
Seina's "trial" was so weird. Yes, funny in some spots, but over the whole thing I was just thinking that Yui is trying way too hard.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Boys and Girls in the City E44

Well, wouldn't have expected that. The way Hayato acted was super uncool, totally feel for Riko. Yuuki was right to confront them about it, it would have been quite different if Riko/Hayato actually brought it up with everyone else beforehand.

ALSO MY BOY ARMAN

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's a general thread. Having multiple threads for each season wouldn't be efficient.
I realize I posted two days ago that I was on episode/week 5. I thought I had posted at least five or six days ago and had to do a double take... cuz I'm on week 36 now, holy shit.
Suffice to say, I'm kinda addicted.

I'm glad I started with Next Door, it's reassuring that I have still so many episodes to watch lol

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm having a crush on Yui. She reminds me of Momochan from Boys & Girls Next Door. She's not exactly hot, in fact she's the least physically attractive girl in the house but she's cute and actually has the coolest/funniest/realest personality by far. I loved her scary/prosecutor mode.

She's really the anti-Mayu.

Oh, so many tears

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I think I'm having a crush on Yui. She reminds me of Momochan from Boys & Girls Next Door. She's not exactly hot, in fact she's the least physically attractive girl in the house but she's cute and actually has the coolest/funniest/realest personality by far. I loved her scary/prosecutor mode.

She's really the anti-Mayu.

Oh, so many tears
I think that episode will make people who already dislike Yui cringe, but yeah, I still find her hilarious when she hams it up. I get how it can be grating but I love her haha

shohei is a legendary member. this season in fact has been surprisingly good.
Also his band is legit good. Grabbed their stuff on Apple Music and they're all bops.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

Yuudai is far more cringe worthy than Yusuke.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuudai is far more cringe worthy than Yusuke.

I've been working on my Japanese listening comprehension skills with the first few episodes of Opening New Doors these past few days. I have the audio on repeat. Man, Yuudai annoys me so much lol. I hate the way he talks. He sounds so dumb.

Poor Yuusuke is just an awkward young kid. The cringe doesn't come from him as a person, it comes from his lack of life experience and self-confidence.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been working on my Japanese listening comprehension skills with the first few episodes of Opening New Doors these past few days. I have the audio on repeat. Man, Yuudai annoys me so much lol. I hate the way he talks. He sounds so dumb.

Poor Yuusuke is just an awkward young kid. The cringe doesn't come from him as a person, it comes from his lack of life experience and self-confidence.
Welcome to Yuudai

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Love my crying boys. I seriously don't know if I hate or love Yui. Such a strange character. Seina still irks me for some reason. I think she absolutely remembers that kiss, and that's annoying to me. And I'm not going to lie I hope that the new member is gay. I don't know what that means for the house but that would be pretty exciting. Maybe just a feminine straight guy though.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should actually stay far away from this thread to avoid spoilers like this lol

The last Next Door episode I watched was heartbreaking, I paused in the middle of ep 44 because damn:
Daiki learns that he has to retire from Kickboxing because of a cyst in his head that could kill him if he continued, and even if he has it removed via surgery he still won't be able to fight ever again. What in the fucking hell, this is some really depressing stuff, Daiki is awesome, I didn't think much of him when he arrived but he slowly became one of my favs... And now he's lying in bed because he has a fever and it's getting worse. No one else is aware of what he's going through, probably because he doesn't wanna worry anyone. That's freaking tough :(

Oct 27, 2017
I should actually stay far away from this thread to avoid spoilers like this lol

The last Next Door episode I watched was heartbreaking, I paused in the middle of ep 44 because damn:
Daiki learns that he has to retire from Kickboxing because of a cyst in his head that could kill him if he continued, and even if he has it removed via surgery he still won't be able to fight ever again. What in the fucking hell, this is some really depressing stuff, Daiki is awesome, I didn't think much of him when he arrived but he slowly became one of my favs... And now he's lying in bed because he has a fever and it's getting worse. No one else is aware of what he's going through, probably because he doesn't wanna worry anyone. That's freaking tough :(
This is why Next Door is the king of Terrace House seasons

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yeah Next Door is a wonderful experience. It's the one that actually feels the most like a scripted TV show due to all the great moments you'd expect from a story? lol
The length can be intimidating but the fact that it's so long adds something special imo
When I watched the last episode I was like "Oh, it's over. Damn... :(". A real journey. Didn't really feel like that when I finished In The City (despite watching it before Next Door, so TH was still that shiny new thing to me)

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of Seina, being a drunk shouldn't be your main personality trait
She felt that to me at the start, but I've turned a corner with her during OND. She's been a trustworthy, decent person, a good friend, and pretty graceful in some awkward moments. Seems like a decent human being.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm glad it's so long, I'm not even halfway through, it's crazy to think about but it's cool. And I'm really glad I didn't start with the later seasons.
I'm relieved Daiki is staying in the house to figure out what he wants to do with his life. The feels...
Oh and what the hell, the new guy (Yosuke) knows Masato because he goes to his store, so okay that's believable, but Masato was also dating one of the girls that recently entered the house??! lmao

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked looking at Reddit to see people love Avian. I really can't stand her.

I just saw the Thanksgiving fight and I really can't believe how much Avian blew it up, all while not telling Lauren the real reason they were being such sticklers about the 24th. Avian just saying "you can just talk to your family and say you'll meet up with them later" is completely outside her jurisdiction imo. I don't really think you should demand your friend to change their plans with their family on a holiday. Seems ludicrous.

The cleaning conversation irked me too. They kept saying "we're talking to everyone" but Avian and Naomi were clearly teaming up on Lauren while pretending they weren't.

And Yusuke needs to go. He was kinda cute at first but he's just so awkward. If you can't tell I really like Lauren. :)

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a long trip so I had a lot of time to binge during the ride, so I just finished Next Door season 6, week 74.

This season was good but frustrating for a few reasons. First, I was 100% Team Maimai (since she seemed to have change quite a bit) and was crushed when Tecchan rejected her. But it was nice to see how she evolved. Her family seem to suck though.And I was glad Yosuke left, he was nice sometimes and its good he realized how he had been lacking empathy. But time to move on. (edit: and his favorite photographer is Terry Richardson? Really??)
Seina coming back in the house and Masato confessing his love was perhaps the first time I really couldn't believe there was no script. And even if there's not, I felt that maybe they (Seina and Masato) with their experience, knew how to use the program to their advantage. But I dunno.There are still enough moments that feel completely earnest.
But damn I really liked Maimai, I felt really sad for her. And for the singer that Yosuke dumped like an asshole after telling her he wanted to grow old by her side. Ugh
Anyway Tecchan had been my fav since season 1 but no more :<
Can't wait to see the two new girls and the new guy tomorrow.

Last edited:

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
LGBT member, fuck yeah! Well done Terrace House.

Last edited:

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LGBT member, fuck yeah! Well done Terrace House.

Yep! Last week's hint was very obvious, so I'm not surprised, but it's awesome, especially for Japan's conservative views on the matter. I'm sure it's gonna bring some interesting new dynamics to the show. Although, poor Shunsuke, the other two dudes are either in a couple or about to be lol.

[EDIT] Changed the episode number in the spoiler.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Lol that Seina/Noah kissing scene was too long. But hey at least it's out of the way.
New member seems cool, will definitely bring something new (I hope)

Dying at the shot of the tissues in the playroom.
Great moment in the commentary track : Triendl saying "Gross..." when Noah says like "I can't stop smiling" at Seina LOL. She really can't stand him anymore, it's hilarious.

Last edited:

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got to the infamous meat incident!

I honestly felt bad for Uchi. I know his reaction seemed dramatic, but when he explained it in more detail I really related to him. I have definitely had times in my life where I've been under a ton of stress and a seemingly small incident has pushed me into full on meltdown mode. As you mature, you learn to handle situations like that better, but I get why he was mad. Even if his reaction was over the top, I do think it was super rude that no one texted him to ask if they could eat the beef and it was even more unforgivable that they didn't save him any! That's just being bad roommates / friends.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna watch the last episodes of Next Door season 7. Pretty nice season, but I wish the commentators would drop the trendy comments already, it stopped being funny 20 episodes ago.

Watching Tecchan work and do his play was great. He seems to have gained confidence and it's awesome to witness how much he has grown as a person.
I was kinda annoyed that Seina came back at first but... well I don't know what she intends to do but I hope she'll be alright. To me it feels like she has some repressed depression, and it has been going on for a while. I wonder what happened when she went to Paris, why it was so awful that she ended her career. She seemed to love it and was motivated...
Oh and huh, the comedian duo, Ippei and his partner... They're not funny at all are they?... They're good people, I'm rooting for them and they've been practicing for their ultimate show, I hope it goes well but the stuff they've shown before was awful :/

edit: alright even though it's not my cup of tea it worked out for them, so it's cool.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna watch the last episodes of Next Door season 7. Pretty nice season, but I wish the commentators would drop the trendy comments already, it stopped being funny 20 episodes ago.

Watching Tecchan work and do his play was great. He seems to have gained confidence and it's awesome to witness how much he has grown as a person.
I was kinda annoyed that Seina came back at first but... well I don't know what she intends to do but I hope she'll be alright. To me it feels like she has some repressed depression, and it has been going on for a while. I wonder what happened when she went to Paris, why it was so awful that she ended her career. She seemed to love it and was motivated...
Oh and huh, the comedian duo, Ippei and his partner... They're not funny at all are they?... They're good people, I'm rooting for them and they've been practicing for their ultimate show, I hope it goes well but the stuff they've shown before was awful :/

edit: alright even though it's not my cup of tea it worked out for them, so it's cool.
Can we not speculate on/try to diagnose mental illnesses on Terrace House candidates? It's uncalled for

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not speculate on/try to diagnose mental illnesses on Terrace House candidates? It's uncalled for
I mean, they are real people, and if I had someone in my life who seemed sad and/or upset all the time, had a sudden stop in a promising career and spent their days drinking alcohol, I would worry quite a bit and try to make sure they're okay. But sure, saying she was depressed was perhaps too much, all that I meant was basically "she looks sad and is going through a rough phase, I hope she'll be alright". Anyway, I've watched half of season 8 and she's doing better, so that's cool. I'm going to watch the last episodes tonight.
Crazy that I started only ten days ago and watched almost 100 episodes... what the hell, I hadn't binged something so fast in almost ten years.

On the top of my head, before I forget, I really like the panel of commentators most of the time but some comments have been really, really gross. I have to remind myself that it's a japanese show and it was a few years ago, I'm not sure some of the comments would fly today, even in Japan. Though sometimes I thought (and hoped) that the translation was approximative. I remember an episode in which You wondered if Tecchan was gay or... "normal". I was hoping something had been lost in translation. The comments about Ippei's looks were also shocking to me. "Terrace House is now for ugly people too!"
Like what the hell, he's not even ugly, far from it actually imo. And in any case, repeating it many times was bad. And in a recent episode I've watched, it ended with jokes about Seina's maternal instincts and one of the guys imitating her as if she suddenly started lactating and throwing milk around. Dammit, stay classy...
But these were somewhat rare occurences. I considered stopping around season 3 because I didn't like the idea of having commentators because it made the show feel like more of a traditional real tv show whereas season 1 and 2 felt like half real tv, half documentary. Eventually I warmed up to it, they started to have a good chemistry and I laughed pretty often.

So, now I'm gonna have to search for the movie "Closing Door" I guess. No idea how to find it, but I have Netflix and I'll try with a VPN set to Japan, for starters. But if anyone could give me pointers, I'd appreciate it (and I know we can't talk about illegal ways to get it, so let's not get a warning for that). Even if I have to watch it without subtitles, then so be it.
edit: welp it's not even on Netflix JP and even if I wanted to watch with a fan translation, it hasn't been done yet. So, I'm gonna wait a few days to digest the end of Next Door and I'll watch the next series.

Last edited: