• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it a few days ago. When I came out of the theatre, I didn't hate it. But the more I think about it, I don't really understand why they made that movie. It's mostly the same story as the first movies:

- 1 Terminator and 1 resistance fighter get send back in time

- Terminator hunts future leader of resistance and resistance fighter

- Terminator and resistance fighter die, resistance leader survives

They basically just flipped around a few things: The new resistance leader is a woman now. There is a different terminator. Skynet gets replaced by Legion... and they did that in a way that kind of removes any mystery. And as much as I didn't like Terminator: Salvation, at least they tried something completely new with that movie.

Dark Fate feels a bit like the Force Awakens imo. This wouldn't be that bad, if there was a company behind the franchise that believes in those movies, and is committed to continuing that story with good sequels. But there isn't, and I'm pretty sure that all this talk about "a new trilogy" is just bullshit and they will cancel their plans again when this movie doesn't reach some insane box office numbers.

Feels like the franchise is cursed somehow. Maybe they should stop doing those movies and instead make a new TV show. SCC wasn't that bad imo, they had a few good ideas. But of course they need a good company with money behind it, maybe HBO or something like that.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to see Cameron collect a cheque on a movie that does exactly what he raged at David Fincher's Alien 3 doing to the characters of the film before it.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
So, this wasn't as offensively bad as the last few, but no way was it a good film either. Yes, it had a couple of decent action scenes, but it pretty much shat on the first two films (that keeps on being a thing lately, sadly). The plot retreads, the John Connor part, horrendously generic new teenage actress, the constant callbacks and lines from the original films that got tired quickly, Linda phoning it in with her 'I'll be back' line, Arnie's character being an utter waste (didn't give a shit when he died. Been there, done that), and a thoroughly underwhelming new baddie average joe terminator...I can go on.

It just didn't make me feel anything at all, and looked like a TV movie. I hope they don't make more. This franchise ended in 1991.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was an okay movie but I will forever love it for giving us rustic, family man T-800 Arnie.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movie's about to start, so excited for a good Terminator. See y'all in about 2 hours.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Just saw it!

It's not a masterpiece like the first two but I thinks it's a really good Terminator movie.

I loved how the Rev9 was always going after Dani no matter what; When Sarah was blasting him with a big ass gun, he was still running after Dani, when fighting Carl or Grace he made it clear that the priority was to get to Dani to a degree that he would even turn his back to the fight just to get to Dani.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I really liked it as an action flick. Plot-wise it's pretty much pointless. There's no progression for the franchise. It's the same story over and over again, and as the movie demonstrates, even if the AI is successful in the past and kills the leader, a new leader can take up the mantle.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
So, this wasn't as offensively bad as the last few, but no way was it a good film either. Yes, it had a couple of decent action scenes, but it pretty much shat on the first two films (that keeps on being a thing lately, sadly). The plot retreads, the John Connor part, horrendously generic new teenage actress, the constant callbacks and lines from the original films that got tired quickly, Linda phoning it in with her 'I'll be back' line, Arnie's character being an utter waste (didn't give a shit when he died. Been there, done that), and a thoroughly underwhelming new baddie average joe terminator...I can go on.

It just didn't make me feel anything at all, and looked like a TV movie. I hope they don't make more. This franchise ended in 1991.

Did you know the horrendously generic "teenage" actress is 32?

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Just got out of seeing it. Well hey, it's not AS much pure garbage as the last few, but it's still garbage. It's just so boring with uncharismatic characters and overly cartoonish action. It's like a mix of the blandness of Salvation and the absurdity of Genesys, but it isn't as awful about how bad it does things so... yeah.

I really hope this is the final nail in the coffin because this series has been more embarrassing than enjoyable for way too long.

Apr 19, 2018
Holkenborg's rendition of the Brad Fiedel Main Theme, as featured in the end credits:

The acoustic guitars are a really nice touch, I feel.

Last edited:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I was shocked how much fun I enjoyed this. Yeah, it doesn't really add anything to the franchise, but it felt comfortable. And that's way more than I can say about the last few. Some parts are a bit silly, but on the whole I had a surprisingly good time--probably helped that I expected trash.

And for whatever reason, I adored Arnold in this

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed it.
My minor gripe was the CG human fight scenes. It's apparent right from the factory fight.

it followed the simple structure of T2 story structure.
I hope they go back to more robot Terminator in the future

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also T1000 remains best terminator by far. This new one which basically seemed to be "terminator that can split into T1000 & T-800 simultaneously" was boring in every way

I thought it was pretty clever, sending two Terminators back like that. Especially given sending one Terminator back never works, although I don't know how Legion knows that since Skynet never existed in its timeline.

Maybe Legion is just more cautious than Skynet.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was pretty clever, sending two Terminators back like that. Especially given sending one Terminator back never works, although I don't know how Legion knows that since Skynet never existed in its timeline.

It looked like all rev-modells seem to have the liquid over metal endoskeleton, as the Rev-8's in the war flashbacks also had it (with the spider like things coming out of them).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

From that point of view it's smart, but from the point of view of "here's the cool new terminator" I was pretty underwhelmed. Like the T-X was far better then this.

If your new terminator isn't cool just use an existing one

Oct 28, 2017
Good lord this script is creatively bankrupt. Skynet is gone! Let's replace it with something identical except for the name! John is dead! Let's replace him with someone else who fills the exact same role! The new future still uses the exact same terms like Judgment Day and Terminators!

Lmao why did they make the future scenes look like Salvation? Was I supposed to take the five foot woman who looks like a little kid seriously as a badass leader in those scenes? What was the point of the EMP subplot with the random treasonous Major?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
well, i quite enjoyed seeing the future blob insect/octopus spiky terminators.

If the Rev-9 could turn into the spider thing that would have been a lot more interesting

Good lord this script is creatively bankrupt. Skynet is gone! Let's replace it with something identical except for the name! John is dead! Let's replace him with someone else who fills the exact same role! The new future still uses the exact same terms like Judgment Day and Terminators!

Lmao why did they make the future scenes look like Salvation? Was I supposed to take the five foot woman who looks like a little kid seriously as a badass leader in those scenes? What was the point of the EMP subplot with the random treasonous Major?

The entire first 30m is basically a retread of T2.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
If the Rev-9 could turn into the spider thing that would have been a lot more interesting
Yeah it would have been real neat if during the finale (before it loses the liquid metal) it dropped any pretenses of disguise and just went apeshit. Like the endoskeleton raised up high by 6 liquid metal spidery legs or some weird shit like that. Coulda been a neat visual.

The new future still uses the exact same terms like Judgment Day and Terminators!
I read from a trusted leaker that an earlier cut of the movie actually did not have references like that. For instance, Grace had dialogue where she had no idea what a "terminator" was, because that's not what Legion calls them. But I guess in the end they just decided to embrace it and stick with the established lingo. (Which I am fine with.)

Oct 25, 2017
I did like how the evil Terminator in Dark Fate is wearing a border patrol outfit for a good chunk of the movie. Felt like a neat evolution to the T1000 being a cop in early 90s LA.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I posted in the review thread, but now that I've slept on it I'll post here too; I fucking hated it. In ways and to an extent I didn't expect to. By far the worst movie I've seen all year. Reductive script and awful acting from Linda, sterile and on-the-nose themes, painfully hammy callbacks and humour, absolutely devoid of any sense of dread or terror, dull cinematography and editing, just overwhelmingly boring, uninteresting, uninspired, and lame use of the universe and its themes, while absent of any of its strengths.

Mackenzie Davis was the only thing I liked in it. I have no idea why this is reviewing so well, but there you go.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I posted in the review thread, but now that I've slept on it I'll post here too; I fucking hated it. In ways and to an extent I didn't expect to. By far the worst movie I've seen all year. Reductive script and awful acting from Linda, sterile and on-the-nose themes, painfully hammy callbacks and humour, absolutely devoid of any sense of dread or terror, dull cinematography and editing, just overwhelmingly boring, uninteresting, uninspired, and lame use of the universe and its themes, while absent of any of its strengths.

Mackenzie Davis was the only thing I liked in it. I have no idea why this is reviewing so well, but there you go.

Same.

I have no fucking idea how this is reviewing as well as it is.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I did like how the evil Terminator in Dark Fate is wearing a border patrol outfit for a good chunk of the movie. Felt like a neat evolution to the T1000 being a cop in early 90s LA.
I like how he only murdered border patrol agents at the facility, and that both the good guys and the bad guys seemed into busting out the immigrants.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Just got back from seeing this, I had to pee bad halfway and couldnt leave my seat for a second. The gf and I both lived this movie very much.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised the ICE stuff isn't more controversial among the American viewers. You'd think the Trumpists would raise eyebrows or something

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I said in the review thread, but me and my people genuinely loved it, and if this is the last one, I'm happy we at least got this.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Fantastic movie, my friend and I enjoyed it and thought of it as a proper sequel that the series deserved.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man....
The opening got me depressed.

Edward and Linda looked amazing. It's crazy how far we have gone with this technology.

Nonetheless, it is def the best T movie since Judgment Day by far.

I honestly don't want another sequel. The movie ended perfectly IMO.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I said in the review thread, but me and my people genuinely loved it, and if this is the last one, I'm happy we at least got this.
Fantastic movie, my friend and I enjoyed it and thought of it as a proper sequel that the series deserved.
Man....
The opening got me depressed.

Edward and Linda looked amazing. It's crazy how far we have gone with this technology.

Nonetheless, it is def the best T movie since Judgment Day by far.

I honestly don't want another sequel. The movie ended perfectly IMO.
Loved it as well and my audience loved it too

And yes, if we don't get another Terminator movie after this, I won't be disappointed. This felt like perfect closure.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of ya'll are jaded as fuck. I personally enjoyed this movie a lot as it had a ton of heart. Yes it was basically a remake of T1 but it was immensely fun, enjoyable movie with some awesome set pieces. Will be recommending all my friends see it.

And if this the end for the franchise it is a good ending.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. I have a lot of thoughts on it. But, the simple version is, I thought it was okay. Had some bad fucking dialogue at times, but I thought everyone acted fine.

Wish Arnold was in it more, which surprised me since I have found his post-T2 visits to the universe to be terrible. But, there were some ideas here that could have been interesting had they had time to do something with them. The idea of being from a future that no longer exists is kinda interesting.

Curious to see what they do next with this franchise if this bombs as hard as it seems like it is going to.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What would people say if they sent back a terminator to warn about an alien AI invasion? After winning the war Legion begins to search the stars for intelligence because it begins to realize danger could come from outside earth. Legion makes contact with something headed towards earth that far surpasses anything that it is capable of. With Legion being scared of something even higher than it, it sends a Rev 9 further back in time to let humans know so that they can start creating the technology earlier. That way they can then rival the alien AI when it arrives in the future? Basically work together in the past to ensure it's survival in the far future and offer peace to humanity if they succeed. Then we can have both humans and Legion working together against this alien AI.

Thank you, thank you. You can mail the Oscar to my address.

Oct 2, 2018
What would people say if they sent back a terminator to warn about an alien AI invasion? After winning the war Legion begins to search the stars for intelligence. Legion makes contact with something headed towards earth that far surpasses anything that it is capable of. With Legion being scared of something even higher than it, it sends a Rev 9 further back in time to let humans know so that they can start creating the technology earlier. That way they can then rival the alien AI when it arrives in the future? Basically work together in the past to ensure it's survival in the far future and offer peace to humanity if they succeed. Then we can have both humans and Legion working together against this alien AI.

Thank you, thank you. You can mail the Oscar to my address.

that wouldn't be a terminator movie.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Just got home from seeing it. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely the best since T2, but that wasn't a very high bar. Only negative I had was the girl who played Dani. I thought she was a terrible actress.

However, I think I'm officially burnt out on Terminator movies, and I wouldn't be sad if this were the last one. The final T-800 is dead after living a good life and dedicating his actions afterwards to makeup for being forced to kill John. I also thought it was a good send-off for Sarah Connor. The cyborg who killed her son is dead, and Skynet never happened.

Also, I have to imagine the alt-right and Trumpers hate this movie. Features a Mexican heroine, 3 female leads, and a Hispanic Terminator killing border agents.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Rev-9 was actually really cool. Felt like a legit evolution rather than just retreading old ground