• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Today Telltale released a statement that essentially confirms the recent rumor that Wolf Among Us 2 will release next year with all episodes at once while also committing away from episodic content going forward.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Hopefully what they are delivering will be good across the board. A lot of the final 2-3 episodes in a season went down in quality compared to how it started imo.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Makes sense. Must have been a weight during the production of their previous titles. Having multiple projects running at once, episode by episode, sure was dragging down the quality in most of them.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
It seems like they're taking all the possible steps in the right direction. Really excited for the future of the new Telltale!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sounds great to me.

TWAU2 is one of my most anticipated projects. They should take all the time they need.

May 17, 2019
Perhaps the only game where I can say it is better than the source material. Man, Fables goes downhill so fast after the Adversary is disposed of

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ok with this. They can still keep an episodic format Alan Wake style if they think it still serves the structure.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I initially read it that they're developing the entire season at once. They could still release it episodically but more like every week vs every month?

Nov 13, 2017
That's not what they said. They said they're developing the entire season at once. It will still very likely be an episodic release.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I initially read it that they're developing the entire season at once. They could still release it episodically but more like every week vs every month?
That's not what they said. They said they're developing the entire season at once. It will still very likely be an episodic release.

A release a week apart is not "episodic" in the traditional sense, which is what Telltale is known for and moving away from. It's semantics.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
A release a week apart is not "episodic" in the traditional sense, which is what Telltale is known for and moving away from. It's semantics.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. While going weekly is moving away from afar Telltale had done in the past, it's still episodic by definition. If any other game came out in a weekly format that would be considered episodic by everyone (tell me why is a recent example).

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but I disagree. While going weekly is moving away from afar Telltale had done in the past, it's still episodic by definition. If any other game came out in a weekly format that would be considered episodic by everyone (tell me why is a recent example).

Again, that's why I say it's semantics. It's episodic in the literal sense, but it is not "episodic" in the Telltale sense which is who the thread is about.

May 19, 2020
if the entire game is just done and they're going to stagger the release arbitrarily via episode format that's stupid and everyone would dislike it

edit: since this post was made they clarified it would be less of a wait than old telltale games so i'm just a big stupid head, don't quote this. i know.

Last edited:

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I like episodic if it's all released over a short window. 2-4 months between episodes does nothing for me and just makes me forget what's going on.

Every week is cool, or every month at most is fine.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
if the entire game is just done and they're going to stagger the release arbitrarily via episode format that's stupid and everyone would dislike it
It worked for Resident Evil: Revelations 2 and Tell Me Why. If they release the episodes a week or two apart, it'll be fine.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As long as they stick with the episodic format in terms of game structure and story then I'm fine with that.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Good.

by the time all episodes released I would forget a series. Much better to buy the full experience

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

Episodic just means something is released in episodes. It has nothing to do with what the time period between episodes is. Either something is episodic or it's not.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully they're moving away from their terrible engine too. Weren't they meant to be starting to use Unity or something?

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
The episodic approach worked when it was only a month between episodes, but it was hard staying invested in a story when there were long gaps between them. I stopped buying their games on release after the second Walking Dead game.