• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie or Bust people did the same thing in 2016, why would you expect them to behave differently 4 years later?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Vote for blue down the ticket except for Biden? Rather let the Democrats have the Senate and House and keep Trump in check for four years if the if the information about Biden being a rapist is true.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll vote down-ballot, but I'm not voting for Joe. The Democratic party really took all of the wrong lessons from Bill Clinton's impeachment.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
If you are defending Biden and telling people to vote for him anyways, your true face says you're okay with rape as long as it's "for the greater good" (getting dem seats, etc)

Please think about what your position is really. Are you really ready to vote somebody in a position of power who's been accused of rape just because you theorize it'd be better for the country?

This is such a narrow view of the stakes.

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
Vote Blue because of the Supreme Court which will affect the rest of your lives.
You know what else would affect me negatively for the rest of my life? Knowingly voting for somebody who's a rapist and being okay with that because they might put a D in a SC seat. I'm not okay with giving up my morals "just this once" (or whatever is the excuse of the day) for the potential of a future greater good.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vote blue no matter who always reminds me of democrats putting black and gay issues on the back and go "things are too important for you to matter right now"

I agree to vote against Trump, but the posturing disguists me

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
it's interesting that general election voters are blamed for not wanting to be spoon fed an accused rapist rather than the system that led an accused rapist to probably become the nominee in the first place

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This thread is genuinely terrifying and I hope to hell it doesn't represent the thinking of the Democratic voter base as a whole otherwise we are so unbelievably fucked.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see people act as if Biden is the nominee. It's not too late to stop this. Rather than doing all this handwringing towards voters, how about people push to have him drop out?

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We WILL have a far right majority SCOTUS if Trump wins reelection and every single progressive gain made over the last 50 years will be erased and dash any hopes of a recovery in the future.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
My bad then. My understanding was that Biden was pretty much locked in at this point? If not then, great, keep up the pressure.
The window is closing fast. Pressure needs to be applied everywhere to get endorsements to change and to convince those who haven't voted yet.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Majority of people don't live in swing states where a lesser of two evils argument might even apply. Joe can eat shit. Vote down ballot.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
It's such a shit situation

After a certain point, it's hard to tell people to vote for the "better choice," and two rapists is well beyond it. That being said, a Trump election will do much, much more harm.

Sep 14, 2019
Okay, great. So don't check Biden when you go vote, leave that spot blank, and risk 4 more years of Trump.

He's not the only person running in November though, so still show up at the ballot box and vote for down ballot positions. Maybe you don't like Biden, fine, don't vote for him, but I'm sure there's someone running for local, state, or congressional positions that you might like.

I didn't say don't vote down ballot.

I'm saying I can't tell people to vote for the "least worst" rapist.

I'll vote for who I believe is the better option. I simply won't be telling people to vote for one rapist over the other.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
it's interesting that general election voters are blamed for not wanting to be spoon fed an accused rapist rather than the system that led an accused rapist to probably become the nominee in the first place
I don't think a single person on this site would argue that the system isn't fucked beyond belief. But we can't fix the system before the election. The only thing we can do between now and then is make sure Trump doesn't get elected and then work on fixing the system after that. Because if Trump gets 4 more years then the system might just be so broken and fucked that it can't be fixed at all. Imagine if Trump gets to replace Ginsburg. Imagine if he gets to replace someone else too.

This election is sooooooo much more than just voting for President.

Spiderz

Oct 25, 2017
Still have 8 months till the election, so allowing Biden to be the nominee is a choice the party would be actively making and if that's the case then we will all just have to live with the consequences of inaction.

Mar 18, 2020
If people don't want to vote, that's whatever but telling others not to vote isn't something I've seen even here. Just a lot of people making masturbatory declarations that they won't vote.

Write in somebody instead of whoever you despise and actually make kind of a difference with your other votes, if you care.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
You know what else would affect me negatively for the rest of my life? Knowingly voting for somebody who's a rapist and being okay with that because they might put a D in a SC seat. I'm not okay with giving up my morals "just this once" (or whatever is the excuse of the day) for the potential of a future greater good.

Is it more or less ethical to ignore the single greatest threat to our species (climate change) in order to achieve the feeling that you personally didn't help a person accused of sexual assault win the presidency over a guy who has paid thugs to threaten violence against the families of the people he assaulted? I don't see any heroics here.

It's insane to me that climate change is mostly agreed upon by the left as the biggest issue but it can be so quickly overriden by what has already been known for centuries (that the people who run for office are monsters). How long do we have to wait for a person to show up on the ballot who will be both an ethical human being and also fight to save the planet? I'm not sure its wise to wait for something that isn't likely to ever happen under the current political structure.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really like Biden at all, especially with the latest accusations. That said, I'm voting against Trump and not for him. I feel super gross about it, but I'd rather have Biden then Trump with all the repercussions another four years would bring. This goes beyond the presidency - SCOTUS is still very much in play, among a myriad of other issues.

I can't knock people who really can't bring themselves to vote for Biden, though I personally think folks should vote solely to get Trump out of office.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll vote for who I believe is the better option. I simply won't be telling people to vote for one rapist over the other.
You're really voting for the Supreme Court. The talking head in the oval office for the next 4-8 years is inconsequential compared to that. A new Supreme Court justice will affect for you for decades to come.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Vote blue no matter who always reminds me of democrats putting black and gay issues on the back and go "things are too important for you to matter right now"

I agree to vote against Trump, but the posturing disguists me

In the threads talking about the accusations against Biden, there were those responding saying that he should drop out and Bernie, being in 2nd, should get the nomination. The responses to this becomes: "No way, the majority of dems won't vote for him!"

Suddenly Vote Blue No Matter Who isn't being used.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
I'm already preparing myself for Trump to win again.

Biden is a shit show, not to say Trump isn't. Republicans are much more passionate about wanting Trump to stay an office than democrats are for voting for Joe.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Another R replacing a D on the Supreme court and our country is fucked for the rest of our lives. Voting rights, womens rights, any kind of minority rights are literally going to be dead in the court.

I'm not saying what anyone should or should not do. But the court post-Trump is in a fucking precarious position for 30 years.

Personally, I'll swallow my pride and pull the lever that protects rights of those less privileged.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, but I think a lot of the times if someone isn't interested in anyone that's running in the most high profile race, they'll just sit out completely. I think this election is way too important for that to happen.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is genuinely terrifying and I hope to hell it doesn't represent the thinking of the Democratic voter base as a whole otherwise we are so unbelievably fucked.

Unfortunately unless if the DNC steps in or Biden steps down the end result is going to Biden or another 4 years of Trump. As it stands with these allegations it's a fucked up situation. But one thing is clear, Republican voters will go out in droves to make sure Trump wins no matter what, so I'd advise liberal voters to do the same for whoever's the democratic nominee is.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

If the democratic party and electorate do not want Joe Biden as their nominee they can and will find ways of making that happen.
For that to succeed though we need to pile on the pressure and hold their feet to the fire.
Just throwing your hands up and saying it's not possible or too late does not help to prevent a rapist from becoming the democratic nominee.
Even if the primary was over, with enough pressure Biden could be made to stand down and some sort of replacement would be found.
Completely ignoring who that replacement could or should be!

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for dog shit in a box over Donald Trump. The damage that man is doing and will continue to do to not just the country but the world will take years to repair if it will even be repairable at all. I feel it's extremely important that we not continue down this path for 4 more years and I will do my part to try and stop it.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You're really voting for the Supreme Court. The talking head in the oval office for the next 4-8 years is inconsequential compared to that. A new Supreme Court justice will affect for you for decades to come.
This.

I don't think people understand just how fucked this entire country will be if Trump gets to replace Ginsburg.

Oct 28, 2017
I understand the premise of this. But I am genuinely curious is there no point ever where both evil are so bad that you cannot stomach that?
And if this point exists for you then you must understand it exists for others too, yet the location of that point will vary for everyone based on a multitude of personal reasons and experiences.
I'll post more later as I'm on the clock and on mobile.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
If the democratic party and electorate do not want Joe Biden as their nominee they can and will find ways of making that happen.
For that to succeed though we need to pile on the pressure and hold their feet to the fire.
Just throwing your hands up and saying it's not possible or too late does not help to prevent a rapist from becoming the democratic nominee.
Even if the primary was over, with enough pressure Biden could be made to stand down and some sort of replacement would be found.
Completely ignoring who that replacement could or should be!

There is no mechanism to stop Biden from being the democratic nominee short of him waking up tomorrow and deciding to drop out

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Another reminder: you can't easily convince disenfranchised and cynical minorities to vote based upon threats of things getting worse when A.) Things are already bad for them, and B.) There's probably already ingrained cultural mechanisms for dealing with hardship. We know we'll survive, because we're still after all the bullshit white America has pulled to fuck us over across centuries.

Like, I deal with white supremacy all the time, Democratic or Republican administration. More of it isn't really all that scary when I live with folks old enough to remember experiencing Jim Crow and tell me about it. It might be scary to sympathetic white people finally facing the fact that this country ain't shit, but your existential crisis isn't my problem.

But in general the way to solve these feelings of hopelessness isn't to threaten, shame, and berate minorities who feel this way into doing your bidding. Empathy would be a better approach.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
People really need to think about a Trump second term. That's a Trump who doesn't need to be re-elected. That's a Trump who is going to do everything he can to enact revenge against people who stood in his way; and that might include individuals, organization, businesses, entire countries or ethnic groups. I honestly don't see any how anyone can refuse to vote against him and claim some kind of moral high ground. Take off the twitter glasses and look at what's happening to the planet and to your own rights.

Jun 10, 2018
The only privilege I see in threads like these are people who clearly aren't and never were affected by behaviors/policies exhibited by politicians then invoking that marginalized group as nothing more than a political chip for personal well-being.

In short: Utilizing shame tactics exposes your character as an antipathetic opportunist who uses projection to protect self-interest. And I have no problem saying anyone who does this is a worse person than the people who they want to feel morally superior than.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
It will be an absolute shitshow this upcoming election, but that's not gonna stop me from voting absentee or in person. Disheartening front runners for me personally but man fuck another 4 years of this current garbage in office. It will only get worse from here if we sit on our asses and do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.