• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
TellMeWhy_Wallpaper-X1_1920x1080.jpg

Platforms: Xbox One & PC (Windows Store & Steam) [Included with Gamepass]
Players: 1
File Size: 9GB
Language: English VA Only at Launch (Due to COVID) [Subtitles still available]
Release Dates: Episode 1 (August 27th) Episode 2 (September 3rd) Episode 3 (September 10th)

Story:
Tell Me Why is the latest narrative adventure game from DONTNOD Entertainment, the studio behind the beloved franchise, Life is Strange. In this intimate mystery, twins Tyler and Alyson Ronan use their supernatural bond to unravel the mysteries of their loving but troubled childhood in beautiful small-town Alaska.

FAQ:
Q: Is Tyler's birth name, or deadname, used anywhere in the game?
A: No, Tyler's birth name does not appear anywhere in Tell Me Why. In flashback scenes, players will hear young Tyler referred to as "Ollie." "Ollie" was the first name Tyler chose for himself: he liked that it sounded similar to Alyson's nickname, "Aly."

Q: Did Tyler transition as a result of his childhood trauma?
A: No. As players explore the Ronan twins' childhood home, they will discover memories and sentimental objects which depict the ways Tyler expressed himself as a boy even before his mother's death. The idea that being transgender is caused by trauma is a stereotype that has no basis in fact, and it plays no role in Tyler's story.

=============

Q: Tell Me Why is set in rural Alaska, a region of the world that's home to many indigenous communities. What steps did DONTNOD Entertainment and Xbox take to ensure that its representation of Alaska Native culture is respectful?

A: Tlingit culture is a key part of Tell Me Why's story and scenery. Our partners at Huna Heritage Foundation have been integral in our goal to portray these elements respectfully and responsibly. They also informed many other aspects of the game, including atmospheric sounds, Tlingit-language pronunciation and spelling verification, and information on customs such as funerary rites. We also commissioned Huna Tlingit artisans to create the many Tlingit objects, murals and designs that appear in the game. For more info on their work, read our blog post.

In trailers and screenshots, we have revealed two Tlingit characters who appear in Tell Me Why. One is Michael Abila, Alyson's coworker and best friend; another is Eddy Brown, the police chief of Delos Crossing. We look forward to players learning more about these characters when they play the game.

=============

Q: Was Tyler's mother transphobic? (SPOILERS)
A:
No. Tyler's mother, Mary-Ann Ronan, was not transphobic. In Chapter 1, Tyler and Alyson discover that their mother had been taking steps to learn how to support her transgender child.

Q: Does Tell Me Why depict any transphobia against Tyler? (SPOILERS)
A:
In Chapter 1, Tyler will face some ignorant comments and microaggressions from a few people in Delos Crossing: family friends who knew and cared about Tyler ten years ago but who have not seen him since his transition. By Chapter 2, all characters in Tell Me Why interact respectfully with Tyler, and without microaggressions. Tyler is never called by his birth name.

Q: Does Tell Me Why depict homophobia against Michael, a queer Tlingit man? (SPOILERS)
A:
No, Tell Me Why does not depict homophobia against Michael. In one optional sequence in Chapter 2, Michael briefly describes in his own words some of the homophobia he has experienced while living in Delos Crossing and how he took steps to surround himself with people who accepted him, but these events do not take place during the game.

Screenshots:

Development Partners

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
A bit bummed out I will miss the next DONTNOD game for a while (no Xbox, no Windows, no Android) :( I was really considering grabbing a cheap One S but this not a serious thing to do (I guess)

I hope the game will be good. In any case, have feels fun people!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i just cannot wait for this game. Also it seems they took the far between episodes release of Life is Strange 2 more seriously since it's coming out way sooner between each (tho at this point, why not just release the whole game ?)

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait, I'm always down for a new DONTNOD game and this and Wasteland 3 will make Friday a very fun day.

Piichan

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Oh wow, had no idea all episodes are coming out so soon after each other. Thought it was gonna be months like LiS2.
Very excited for this.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
That's an awesome release schedule. I'm usually wary of episodic games since waiting a month+ doesn't do anything good for my motivation to keep going even if I enjoy the thing, so this sounds much better. I'll probably check episode 1 out this week.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing how a weekly, TV-show-style episodic format works. I'm assuming they have the full game more or less finished and are just staggering the release like this for the experience of it, rather than actually continuing to work on the episodes during the release schedule.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to seeing how a weekly, TV-show-style episodic format works. I'm assuming they have the full game more or less finished and are just staggering the release like this for the experience of it, rather than actually continuing to work on the episodes during the release schedule.

Well yeah, I mean the episodes are releasing one week apart. They're finished.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thanks for the OT! Not long now, really interested to see how this one turns out and excited to jump in.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Really looking forward to this, both because it's Dontnod and the subject matter. Love that we already know the release schedule too and that it's an episode every week.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My most anticipated game this year. I rarely play games anymore, but I love this style of game.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently played Life is Strange, Before the Storm, and Life is Strange 2. I'm a big fan of DONTNOD. I purchased this even though I could have played it for free on Xbox Game Pass.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Weekly release? Like a TV series?

Call me crazy but that gets me more hyped than anything else.
Good timeframe to play it and then discuss it and speculate with others before the next episode hits.
I love that.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Weekly release? Like a TV series?

Call me crazy but that gets me more hyped than anything else.
Good timeframe to play it and then discuss it and speculate with others before the next episode hits.
I love that.
With you there on this being an exciting part of the rollout. Going to be great for discussion here and looking forward to the drop each week.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

hersheyfan