• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Any game you loved what you saw from the previews, maybe it was a fantastic art style that captivated you, maybe the gameplay at first seemed great, maybe it was a sequel to an already great game and you had high hopes, but in the end it wasn't all that and it pisses you off because you saw the potential, it could have been so much more, the great aspects of the game should not be lumped with all the other bad bits.

Note: This isn't a game you played, didn't like and never played again, but one you kept returning to to see if it finally clicks, because you really wanted to like it.

Last edited:

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Yooka Laylee.

Never played Banjo but I heard good stuff about it and being that Yooka was basically it's blood relative made me interested. But once I tried it my expectations took a massive nosedive.

Stairmaster_

Jan 27, 2019
Astral Chain. I still liked the game, but it felt like there wasn't as much depth to the combat as there is in other PG games, mostly relying on switching your weapon/Legion rather than being super execution heavy.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Titanfall 2's multiplayer. The first game was basically perfect. Probably my favorite of last gen. The changes made it a significantly worse game. Was super disappointing.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I've been over the "why" a number of times here. In short: I thought it was boring. I hated the slow pace and how every action took ages to carry out.

Jun 5, 2018
Dragon age inquisition comes to mind, loved origins enough to play through it a dozen times, even liked 2 mostly for the protagonist, but 3 felt off, the forced frostbite engine was part of the problem but it was also clear that the original team wasn't there anymore, it was quantity over quality and after three attempts to beat it all ending around the half way point (possibly a forth?) I accepted it wasn't for me.

Pokemon has been this for me since gen7 sadly, really wanted to like it but the new games just feel bland to me like a body without a soul.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead redemption 2 on ps4. I'll try it again on Series X, maybe the enhancements will make the game more enjoyable

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Pokemon since the 3DS. I mean the online is great, I just don't like the campaign and "level" design.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Metro Exodus. As much praise as I've heard about the game, I just got bored with it. The wooden voice acting didn't do any favors there, either.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was insanely hyped for Ni No Kuni 2, the first is easily my favorite JRPG from the 7th gen. I even told IGN it was the game I was most excited about when they REALLY wanted me to say it was Paragon.

The game was a massive disappointment, not even really because it was bad but because it was so flat and boring without a lick of the charm of the first. I had even pre-ordered the Deluxe Edition, and all that did was give me three separate chances to be massively disappointed instead of just one. That season pass is definitely in the running for worst season pass ever imo.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For me it was animal crossing. I got sucked into the hype of everyone I know talking about and playing it. Ended up buying a switch for it.

It's throughly not my thing. I should have know going in I wouldn't like it. I've never enjoyed those types of games. At least the resale value of Nintendo first party is really good and there is plenty to play on switch. The switch saved me from having no system to play over the pandemic since I sold my PS4 pro early on in anticipation of the PS5 I just managed to secure today.

Maximus2560

Banned
Sep 28, 2020
God of War (2018) As a big fan of the franchise I didn't like so much in this game....Same with the Yakuza games

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Until Dawn, the story sucks (especially when it starts to get supernatural) and the characters are so unlikable.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk. Couldn't finish it, despite having a high end rig that could play it at it's full potential.

Jan 15, 2019
Yooka Laylee.

Never played Banjo but I heard good stuff about it and being that Yooka was basically it's blood relative made me interested. But once I tried it my expectations took a massive nosedive.

I liked it enough but agree that I had higher hopes overall.

I'd say Pokemon Shield was a big one for me recently. I would have never guessed it was one of the biggest IPs on Earth with practically limitless money to throw at its mainline games if I didn't know better. They needed another full year to really put the time into the game that it needed, and some decisions were just bafflingly bad. I was initially hoping this would be a BotW-caliber experience but for Pokemon since we were *finally* getting the full home console game I'd been imagining for 20 years, but it was clear even from the 1st trailer that it was probably gonna fall short of that, and sure enough it did.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hades. Great soundtrack, but that's all it has going for it.

Castlevania LoS2. On paper it sounded like everything I wanted from a modern Castlevania. The execution was, sadly, way flawed to the point that the game ended up being just mediocre.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Final Fantasy VIII and X - I'd been playing the series since the first one was released and was up for different mechanics, but I was a teenager and didn't really care for what I perceived as love stories.

Secret of Evermore - I really wanted some kind of follow-up to Secret of Mana, but gathering ingredients for the alchemy system was a huge drag, and the story was a big letdown.

Chrono Cross - I'll probably get shit for this, but the story was overly complicated, I thought a huge catman as an adversary was silly, and it had so many fucking characters I stopped caring about any of them.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Infinite Space on the DS. If the ship battles were more like Skies of Arcadia's, I think I'd love it. But I don't like the ship combat at all in that game, and it sucks because it's a huge sticking point that stops me from enjoying a game I think I'd otherwise like a lot.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I've been over the "why" a number of times here. In short: I thought it was boring. I hated the slow pace and how every action took ages to carry out.

This. But I recently picked it up on sale on the Xbox store so I'm gonna give it once more chance. It took me 3-4 times for witcher 3 before it clicked and I fell in love.

Arrrammis

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3.

I bounced off of it originally because of weird movement and combat, and then came back a year or two later and made myself play through at least the bloody baron quests since those are apparently some of the best in the game. The story and characters are great, but the moment to moment gameplay just felt clumsy to control and just not enjoyable to me.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
TLOU part 2. So hyped, first 40 hours were some of the greatest gameplay moments I've ever had. Then it tried a thing, didn't work for me, saw it working for others, made me sad.

Still plays great though

Etoh

Oct 25, 2017
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Luigi's Mansion 3

Such a disappointment on every aspect. :( Controls felt off, gameplay design as well, presentation looked like a bad licensed Nintendo game...

First time I've felt compelled to ask Nintendo for my money back. And I got it. :O

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Mirrors Edge: Cataclysm.

Loved the first game. Quite possibly would have even bought an Xbox One had the sequel been an Xbox exclusive. Bought the game day one obviously but didn't get much further than a few hours. Have made two attempts to play it again since then and haven't progressed much further.

niall

Oct 30, 2017
Breath of the Wild.

I can see why so many people love it, and it's obviously left a huge mark on the industry, but it's not what I want from a Zelda game, and it's not to my taste in games in general.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It's Final Fantasy XV. I so desperately wanted it to be the next jewel in the franchise's crown, but it just was not. It was a mediocre game with a mess of a plot which was delivered in an incoherent manner. Biggest let down in the last ten years for me. If not for the fact that I really liked the characters it would have been the first mainline Final Fantasy I dropped.

Yooka Laylee.

Yeah Yooka Laylee was a chore at times. Patches have made it playable, but there are a number of pagies that are just not fun to collect.

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
RDR2 and Ghost of Tshushima for me.

Both critically acclaimed, and I gave RDR2 30 hours and GoT through Act 1, but just had to quit both.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Let's get more C tier titles in here

SI_3DSDS_DillonsRollingWestern2_image1600w.jpg

All three games in this odd trilogy, I'm completely on board with its aesthetic and playing as an Armadillo.
But dammit, they had to make it tower defense, done with a mix of real time combat.
The first problem is that it's actually tough in a way that can be pretty discouraging, missions start feeling like needing to know in advance what you'll face because the funds for towers are so stingy that one bad choice just sinks the looooooong stages.
Oh yeah, long stages, it's trying to do too much for a game concept that revels in general simplicity and the formulaic approach to the samey stages grates quick.

Of course this was more forgiving seeing that the first two titles were eShop outings (the second might as well be DLC for how similar it is), the third game does try to shake things up with a lot more new ideas often involving miis gone furry (no, really) and it's all over the place, like running a shop in the mad max apocalypse all over the place....yeah.

Somehow we got a whole trilogy of 6/10 games, and really I just wanted that base movement and combat that has potential rolled into a more standard action adventure game. Revving up to grind into an enemy, spring off them and breaking into a claw swiping air combo feels great, moving around the maps has great pace, the NPC designs are tops, it's like they had everything in the right place and then approached the core in one of the most baffling ways.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
Hades.
Game is fine but i don't find it replayable at all. The story doesn't grab me. The enemy variety is on the weaker side. After a few clear i was done, its probably fine if you care more about your character as the main source of variety during the run but what truly works with me is the world itself via different special events and rooms, and a huge plethora of bosses and regular enemies. Ultimately i don't feel it will stand the test of time without more content addition even in comparison to for more obscure games. I for sure will never go back to it.
Again not a bad game, far from it as it was a very pleasing experience for a few hours, just doesn't check the replayability box of roguelites for me.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda

I adore Mass Effect 2, and The Lair of the Shadowbroker more than pretty much 99.9% of games, and Mass Effect 3 while not as good was still amazing.

So a reboot with a new lead? Seeming Female being highlighted and what I'm told is an amazing WLW interest? The only thing I've ever been more hyped for was VS XIII.

VS XIII/XV I want to say is this....but honestly it wasn't. People can hate Nomura and I get it, but personally I love their output the vast majority of the time so having it shifted to Tabata....well you can imagine how I felt after years of listening to people try to claim that Type 0 was fantastic and the true XIII when in reality I found T0 to be unplayable garbage so XV was something I ended up hating but I expected to and there for can't say with a straight face that I really tried all that hard.

Jan 4, 2021
GTAV. I bought it on PS3, dabbled, thought the upgraded PS4 version would finally cement it as enjoyable, still struggled to get past the first couple hours, bought it on PC much later hoping 4K ultra 1000000fps and mods would do it for me, but nope. Got tons of cash in the game but I don't feel compelled to play to unlock anything worth buying. I don't know what it is, I have the same issue with Red Dead, and I think it boils down to movement. Walking in the game is no fun. Everyone walks and turns like a cruiseship.

cyappu

Jun 4, 2019
Octopath Traveler.

Before release I was absolutely convinced that it would be me GotY that year because I love classic JRPGs and it seemed to be checking all the right boxes... but I just could never vibe with the 8 totally disconnected stories approach and ended up dropping the game halfway through.

(That said, now that time has passed and I know what the game is now, I've been considering giving it a second try sometime this year.)

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Death Stranding is probably the single biggest disappointment of my gaming life, honestly. I could see the disappointment coming a mile away once it became clear what it really was going to be, so I guess it's probably not exactly what you mean, but I don't think I'll ever get 100% get over that one.