• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Image retention would be a very unusual symptom of a set dying. Any game with a bright or persistent HUD would "burn in" my plasma (quite noticeably), but it would always go away after watching or playing something different for an approximately equal amount of time. I'm honestly astonished you have only recently noticed an issue. Running the screen wipe tool in the menu or looping plasma break in slides can speed up the process if it really bothers you.
It's my only plasma so I'm not sure how they die. It happens pretty quickly though, if I spend a bit of time on the pause screen or something, the image will still be visible while I continue playing the game. It's noticeable in RPGs where I have to be in the menu often.

It's not really a huge bother, I just assumed that meant it would get worse from this point and eventually die. So I wanted to gather some info on a replacement.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Whoever says 1080p image looks exactly the same on 4k must tell a lie or never actually see it in real life. Hook up switch with my new 55 inch Sony XE90 and it looks worse compare to my old 1080p Samsung 49 inch. The picture is just more blurry and pixellet ( also bigger size surely contribute to that ). It is even more obvious with 720p game like Xenoblade 2.

So for now I only hookup my 4k TV with apple tv 4k and PS4PRO. Suddenly feel like I jump in anbit too early, even though there are already plenty of 4K content/gaming.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Whoever says 1080p image looks exactly the same on 4k must tell a lie or never actually see it in real life. Hook up switch with my new 55 inch Sony XE90 and it looks worse compare to my old 1080p Samsung 49 inch. The picture is just more blurry and pixellet ( also bigger size surely contribute to that ). It is even more obvious with 720p game like Xenoblade 2.

So for now I only hookup my 4k TV with apple tv 4k and PS4PRO. Suddenly feel like I jump in anbit too early, even though there are already plenty of 4K content/gaming.

I warned you all that the Switch does not look pretty on a 4K TV. Poor anti-aliasing and low resolution just doesn't do it any favours.

Not sure what you mean by jumping in too early. Time won't change anything.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Are there like patch notes somewhere? lol

I tried watching Planet Earth II in 4K HDR and it looks good but I dunno, I feel like it could look better. Something felt off. I was using the Xbox One X Blu-ray app, is that bad?

I don't believe so. I guess it should be listed somewhere at LG site.

Yea, Xbox One X Blu-ray player has inaccurate colors from what I've read and seen online.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
It's always funny seeing people saying they bought an Xbox One for the 4K Blu Ray player.

I mean I got an Xbox One S for $179 CAD last year. Dedicated players cost 5x as much. The ability to play the UHD disc within your game console has massive utility. Dedicated players were always going to be better. Vincent is a hardcore AV enthusiast who calibrates simply to D65. How many people you think that are buying OLED and LED 4K sets are even calibrating? I would say the majority probably never even go past Dynamic/Vivid etc. Planet Earth II UHD on my Xbox One S easily blows away what I get from the Netflix 4K version. The blu-ray player isn't the best. There are a lot of issues. But it is about utility vs price vs performance.

I guarantee you if the majority of consumers who bought sets right now calibrated to what Vincent prefers for color accuracy you'd have nonstop what is this dull yellow tint, it's not bright enough etc. They couldn't probably even tell if colors were oversaturated or ran to the warmer side.

This link speaks about how it is still a decent 4k player and that MS is trying to investigate ways to fix this with updates. They even mention what Vincent demonstrated.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ne-x-4k-blu-ray-player-review-getting-there/2

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I got an Xbox One S for $179 CAD last year. Dedicated players cost 5x as much. The ability to play the UHD disc within your game console has massive utility. Dedicated players were always going to be better. Vincent is a hardcore AV enthusiast who calibrates simply to D65. How many people you think that are buying OLED and LED 4K sets are even calibrating? I would say the majority probably never even go past Dynamic/Vivid etc. Planet Earth II UHD on my Xbox One S easily blows away what I get from the Netflix 4K version. The blu-ray player isn't the best. There are a lot of issues. But it is about utility vs price vs performance.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...ne-x-4k-blu-ray-player-review-getting-there/2
I got my Samsung 4k player (k8500) last year for $159.99 USD, but through EPP pricing. Regular price will be higher, but I don't think it was 5x more expensive. Can't say how well the k8500 performs though vs an Xbox One S but some reviews seem to indicate it still being better because of it's dedicated nature.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
I got my Samsung 4k player (k8500) last year for $159.99 USD, but through EPP pricing. Regular price will be higher, but I don't think it was 5x more expensive. Can't say how well the k8500 performs though vs an Xbox One S but some reviews seem to indicate it still being better because of it's dedicated nature.

Well I mean EPP was a temporary thing that should never have been given to us. I got my 65" KS8000 through that for ridiculous pricing. Just meaning that here in CA, nothing was even close for the price. Going forward though, Microsoft has and will have the ability to update through firmware. How much will the dedicated player be updated?

I now myself have the Sony UBP-X800 as a dedicated player. Good enough for the handful of discs I got. Maybe once this HDR10+ and DV dust settles a bit, Atmos goes down in price for speakees I will upgrade to better dedicated hardware.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's always funny seeing people saying they bought an Xbox One for the 4K Blu Ray player.

I definitely didn't buy this to watch Blu-rays. I just wanted to test it out. It still looked really good using the Xbox One X Blu-ray app but I wasn't sure how much better it could look with a dedicated. Honestly I don't watch Blu-ray movies enough to warrant a purchase of a dedicated machine anyway, the occasional watch using the app will suffice for now.

I was also watching it using my HDR Game preset, I can probably find some calibration settings to make movies and TV look better, too.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
Ok the 55" B7 was in fact marked down again. $1,209 now.

Having trouble not buying it...

Either you're going to wait for the 2018 sets, look around Super Bowl time, buy next Black Friday otherwise jump at this if you want/need the set. $1200 for a 55" B7 is crazy. You probably won't see it cheaper aside from refurbs or eBay or YMMV clearance type deals.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the response, though it's fairly disappointing to hear. I was going to purchase the TV from an Amazon seller for $1,600. If there is a better 1080p model out there I'd go with that. I haven't really done much research yet as my Panasonic just started showing signs of age. I was also going to look into Samsungs QLED(?) I think it's called.

Wait wtf??? 1500$ for a 2015 model? You are in the US correct? I mean, 2017 model is 1500 new....unless you're going for a 65"?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Got around to watching some of my unopened UHD movies. Started with War for the Planet of the Apes. Great movie. That and my love for OLED grows. Incredible picture on screen. Few scenes where it's literally pitch black in a cave save for some lights, and HDR comes in and adds that extra touch. The combination of OLED screen, a UHD disc, and HDR is amazing to see in action.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017

Ah I missed the part where you want a 1080p. I play both PS4 and Switch on my 55" B7 from about 6 feet away and honestly I find it to be just fine. Though I've only played BotW and Mario.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I missed the part where you want a 1080p. I play both PS4 and Switch on my 55" B7 from about 6 feet away and honestly I find it to be just fine. Though I've only played BotW and Mario.
I'm good with 4K as long as the Switch looks good on it. I have a 4K Vizio that many said was one of the best TVs of 2016 and I find the Switch looked better on my 4 year old plasma. So I just sort of assumed it would be like that with any 4K TV. I'm still in the research phase though, and I have no experience with OLED at all. I just hear good things.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I'm good with 4K as long as the Switch looks good on it. I have a 4K Vizio that many said was one of the best TVs of 2016 and I find the Switch looked better on my 4 year old plasma. So I just sort of assumed it would be like that with any 4K TV. I'm still in the research phase though, and I have no experience with OLED at all. I just hear good things.

Maybe it depends on the game too. A 720p game like Xenoblade (I think) might not look good. Mario is a pretty easy game to look clean. I personally wouldn't buy a 1080p, specially not at that price, just because the Switch might look better. Might as well future proof a bit and get a 4k OLED if you're going to spend that much

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it depends on the game too. A 720p game like Xenoblade (I think) might not look good. Mario is a pretty easy game to look clean. I personally wouldn't buy a 1080p, specially not at that price, just because the Switch might look better. Might as well future proof a bit and get a 4k OLED if you're going to spend that much
I understand it's a bit crazy but I do 80+ percent of my gaming on Switch, so I really don't want to get a new TV and have the primary thing I do on it be worse than before. I also already have a 4K TV for the future and I can just get a new 4K set for my games when Switch 2 comes out.

Broman1978

Nov 11, 2017
I have bought a Sony 55" XE8096 (maybe its called XE80 in the US?) Any general recommended settings for a Sony Bravia TV and Xbox One X?/PS4? Maybe its the wrong thread asking for this? :)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either you're going to wait for the 2018 sets, look around Super Bowl time, buy next Black Friday otherwise jump at this if you want/need the set. $1200 for a 55" B7 is crazy. You probably won't see it cheaper aside from refurbs or eBay or YMMV clearance type deals.
It's though. Currently still using a Panasonic plasma for video games. Was planning on waiting for HDMI freesync to upgrade. Already have a 77" E6 for the media room.

That price though...

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I'm finding Gaming mode on my C7 to be too dim/dark, at least on default settings. The deep blacks look great, and the bright colours are amazing, but it's really hard to discern things in the shadows. I can play with the black level to see easier, but that just makes the blacks a dark grey :/

Does anyone have any personalized settings they'd recommend for PS4 Pro gaming?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got rid of my B6 when moving a few weeks ago. Plan on buying a B7 to replace it. Apart from CES being right around the corner, and given I need a new TV ASAP, is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the B7? I was very happy with my B6.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Got rid of my B6 when moving a few weeks ago. Plan on buying a B7 to replace it. Apart from CES being right around the corner, and given I need a new TV ASAP, is there any reason why I shouldn't go with the B7? I was very happy with my B6.

None that I can think of.

I'm finding Gaming mode on my C7 to be too dim/dark, at least on default settings. The deep blacks look great, and the bright colours are amazing, but it's really hard to discern things in the shadows. I can play with the black level to see easier, but that just makes the blacks a dark grey :/

Does anyone have any personalized settings they'd recommend for PS4 Pro gaming?

Enable Dynamic Contrast to brighten up the picture a bit.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017

Has some enhancements and I believe is 20% brighter than the B6. Not sure how 7 series game mode compares to 6 series, but you should be good.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is going to be my first 4k HDR tv.

I ordered an LG 49SJ800V. Does anyone have it, or something similar? Impressions?

Can I use the LG SJ8500 settings from rtings as a starting point?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Ok good folks of Era....a few questions. Just got back from the store with my friend and were able to demo the 65 inch version of the Sony XE9005 (900E). No console gaming yet or anything like that but we checked out some 4K HDR Youtube videos and such. The thing is the settings weren't right at all, colours completely overblown and it just didn't look right. Figures because it was set to dynamic, or vivid..or whatever Sony calls it. So when we return to the store with the Xbox One X soon......

1- Some good settings to try out for SDR and HDR gaming? My friend wants a good indication of what he can expect.
2- He can get the XE9005 for 1899 euros. There's however also the XE93 and costs 2299. What would you do? Fork out the extra 400 for HLG and a higher peak brightness? HLG means it has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision i assume? The 9005(900E) doesn't have DV.

He now seems almost certain it's going to one of these two. Personally i would go for the XE93, because it's an investment in the future.

So we now see that input lag is a bit high with a 1080p signal

www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55xe9305-201703274446.htm

41.7ms, but that should mean no problems for any games on Xbox One X since it upscales to 4K, correct?

Last edited:

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
i can't answer that but i did extensive research on AVS forum and even asked the pros after i got my B7. The HDR game mode was dimmed in 03.60.xx

mine clearly do not look the same; they are similar if you turned DC on HIGH on game mode.
Must have been the first FW version ever back in April, then. I could check the exact FW number, but we can't downgrade 2017 sets anyways.
03.60.09 was the 2nd one released that already came with the new tonemapping.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Must have been the first FW version ever back in April, then. I could check the exact FW number, but we can't downgrade 2017 sets anyways.
03.60.09 was the 2nd one released that already came with the new tonemapping.

they changed it in the 2017 OLEDs firmware when they released the last firmware that added HLG for the 2016 models. I believe that was around July.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...cretly-get-major-new-future-proofing-feature/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...eportedly-a-disaster-for-gamers/#67512d7eccc1

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Ok good folks of Era....a few questions. Just got back from the store with my friend and were able to demo the 65 inch version of the Sony XE9005 (900E). No console gaming yet or anything like that but we checked out some 4K HDR Youtube videos and such. The thing is the settings weren't right at all, colours completely overblown and it just didn't look right. Figures because it was set to dynamic, or vivid..or whatever Sony calls it. So when we return to the store with the Xbox One X soon......

1- Some good settings to try out for SDR and HDR gaming? My friend wants a good indication of what he can expect.
2- He can get the XE9005 for 1899 euros. There's however also the XE93 and costs 2299. What would you do? Fork out the extra 400 for HLG and a higher peak brightness? HLG means it has both HDR10 and Dolby Vision i assume? The 9005(900E) doesn't have DV.

He now seems almost certain it's going to one of these two. Personally i would go for the XE93, because it's an investment in the future.

So we now see that input lag is a bit high with a 1080p signal

www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd55xe9305-201703274446.htm

41.7ms, but that should mean no problems for any games on Xbox One X since it upscales to 4K, correct?

The Youtube app on Android TV doesn't support HDR, so the HDR videos you see on the built in app are tone mapped to SDR. If you want HDR YouTube, you need a Chromecast Ultra or another device that supports it (such as the Sony X800 UHD Blu-ray player).

1. Honestly, the defaults game mode settings are not bad. Starting with that, I personally turn the color back down to 50 and x-tended dynamic range to low. If you're a purist, you may want to turn off x-tended dynamic range entirely (and you should for SDR video content), but I actually like what it does for games.

2. HLG is a separate format entirely. It is geared toward broadcast television and is supposed to be able to carry HDR and SDR in the same broadcast. The XE90/900E actually does support this. What it is missing is DV (which the 93 has) , and there hasn't been an indication that it will get it. It's a tough one on this. That's right about on the border if being worth it for the upgrade. Personally, I'd go for the 93 at that price difference (the difference was higher when I bought my 90/900E), but may depend on how much 400 means to a given person. Could see that decision going either way. I'm assuming this is for the same size.

Last edited:

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
My Sony 65'' A1 OLED arrived the other day, first movie I watched was Dunkirk on 4K Bluray.

Holy fucking shit, it was like the movie was going on outside my window.

Nov 14, 2017
Sony KD60X690E 60-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model)

Is this a good TV?

The reviews on Rtings seem okay but I was hoping someone would have hands-on experience. I'm finally upgrading to a new TV and I'm looking at this one, the TCL 55P607 or the Samsung MU7000 but I haven't decided yet.
So I guess none of these are worth it? If not any recommendations on a decent 4K set under $800. I have the Prime Wedding Coupon getting ready to expire in January which is good for 20% off any item sold by Amazon and I'd like to use it on a TV.

Oct 26, 2017
The Youtube app on Android TV doesn't support HDR, so the HDR videos you see on the built in app are tone mapped to SDR. If you want HDR YouTube, you need a Chromecast Ultra or another device that supports it (such as the Sony X800 UHD Blu-ray player).

1. Honestly, the defaults game mode settings are not bad. Starting with that, I personally turn the color back down to 50 and x-tended dynamic range to low. If you're a purist, you may want to turn off x-tended dynamic range entirely (and you should for SDR video content), but I actually like what it does for games.

2. HLG is a separate format entirely. It is geared toward broadcast television and is supposed to be able to carry HDR and SDR in the same broadcast. The XE90/900E actually does support this. What it is missing is DV (which the 93 has) , and there hasn't been an indication that it will get it. It's a tough one on this. That's right about on the border if being worth it for the upgrade. Personally, I'd go for the 93 at that price difference (the difference was higher when I bought my 90/900E), but may depend on how much 400 means to a given person. Could see that decision going either way. I'm assuming this is for the same size.

Yep. He wants 65 inch no matter what I've he has seen my 65B6, haha.

But as for the XE93, that does support both hdr formats right?

Oh yes and game mode. I was searching for it but couldn't find it at all. I only saw standard, cinema and a few others. Is game mode enabled elsewhere?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. He wants 65 inch no matter what I've he has seen my 65B6, haha.

But as for the XE93, that does support both hdr formats right?

Oh yes and game mode. I was searching for it but couldn't find it at all. I only saw standard, cinema and a few others. Is game mode enabled elsewhere?

Yes, 93 supports HDR10, DV (well, technically not until the next major firmware update), and HLG. 90 just supports HDR10 and HLG, unless Sony surprises us, which there's no reason to expect.

Game mode should be in the same place you change other picture modes, under Action Menu -> Picture Settings. There are a lot to scroll through. May need to make sure firmware is up to date.

Side note, you should stick to Cinema Pro for any video content. It has the most accurate EOTF, based on what I've read. You can tweak from there to your own personal tastes.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure who was the culprit in my setup but I was watching Hackaw Ridge Blu last night and some scenes had some pretty bad banding. Didn't see this with my games or other movies. Might need to check reviews online about the Blu-ray.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
they changed it in the 2017 OLEDs firmware when they released the last firmware that added HLG for the 2016 models. I believe that was around July.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...cretly-get-major-new-future-proofing-feature/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...eportedly-a-disaster-for-gamers/#67512d7eccc1
According to a russian site that lists several FW versions, 03.60.09 was already released back in May.
http://webos-forums.ru/post23624.html#p23624 (click on the drop down menu of the post)
Ok I think I found it:
03.51.20 (released in march) was probably the FW without dim HDR Game mode.Never saw what it looks like as my set already came with 03.60.09.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure who was the culprit in my setup but I was watching Hackaw Ridge Blu last night and some scenes had some pretty bad banding. Didn't see this with my games or other movies. Might need to check reviews online about the Blu-ray.

Could be your Blu Ray player. You're using an Xbone right?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Could be your Blu Ray player. You're using an Xbone right?

No, I'm using standalone Sony 4K player. I don't have a Xbox One X.

I just checked a review at Blu-ray.com and they mentioned the banding issue as well altho they only noticed it in a sunrise scene which I saw too. I noticed minor ones in other scenes as well but they didn't. So it's the encoding for the regular Blu-ray's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.