• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think that OLED tech can get to 3k nits just yet.

Haha, OLED will need an evolution (micro-OLED?) to reach that. As it stands, it can't even reach 1000 nits.

By the time I'll be ready to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 in a couple of years, we could be seeing 3000-4000 nits TVs on the market and hopefully HDR10+ and DV as standards. That would be some crazy good HDR picture quality.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy with my recently bought 49XE9005, next upgrade will most likely arrive around 2025-2026. By then 8K will be adopted.

BTW, anyone has experience with it's optical out port? Can I route surround audio from PS4Pro/GTX1070 from TV to a surround reciever [I'm in a process of getting one soon].

RedlineRonin

Oct 30, 2017
Minneapolis
There's no solid proof obviously, but that has been the theory behind why LG decided to dim the game modes. We don't know yet if Panasonic and Sony OLEDs will have more prominent burn-in problems in the long run. Time will tell.

As an aside, the Dynamic Contrast 'fix' is far from a true solution. It's a quick and dirty, sure, but far from ideal.

Speaking purely from experience, image retention has been a real problem for me when gaming in HDR on my C7. There's still a lot of progress to be made in that area.

This is so weird. I thought there would be a lot more homogeneity between panels, but my C7 has been the exact opposite. I've played boat loads of Destiny 2 in HDR (I'm on PC so it's been at least six weeks of pretty consistent play in HDR) and I've had zero IR at all, ever. And I burned D1 into my plasma permanently.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
This is so weird. I thought there would be a lot more homogeneity between panels, but my C7 has been the exact opposite. I've played boat loads of Destiny 2 in HDR (I'm on PC so it's been at least six weeks of pretty consistent play in HDR) and I've had zero IR at all, ever. And I burned D1 into my plasma permanently.
I haven't seen any IR at all over the past 6 months on a B7. I've even had a couple whoopsie daisies where I left a static image up for 30 minutes or so, still nothing.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

The image retention issue GinoFelino mentioned seems to be a panel lottery issue from what I've read on the AV forums. Someone exchanged their panel and didn't get bad IR anymore.

Juste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The image retention issue GinoFelino mentioned seems to be a panel lottery issue from what I've read on the AV forums. Someone exchanged their panel and didn't get bad IR anymore.

Yea this kind of thing is often passed off as anecdotal forum conjecture or conspiracy theory, but there is demonstrable evidence from reputable sources of massive unit to unit variation in the wild. How common it is however, I don't know. Someone posted a video earlier in the thread of a clearly borked unit he had, and again, I would point out RTing's wildly different IR results in their B7 and C7 review. Like a silicon lottery, I guess some panels are more sensitive and other more resistive to whatever voltages they are applying by default.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
By the time I'll be ready to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 in a couple of years, we could be seeing 3000-4000 nits TVs on the market and hopefully HDR10+ and DV as standards.
It's highly likely that "nits battle" will go the same way as "megapixels battle" went by that time. I mean, do you really want to have a sun shining into your eyes from your TV when you try to watch a movie on it?

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you my B7A has had zero IR thankfully. I looked pretty close after it had something on for a few minutes. I see nothing there.

hollams

Nov 7, 2017
Got my C6 back from repair and it took a week, it would have been sooner but Fed Ex was late on the delivery of the new panel. The repairman said the cost of the panel was $2400, glad I was still under warranty. Good service though so LG was good on that part with little to no hassle for the warranty repair. I was hoping with a new panel they would extend my warranty but it's still 1 year from purchase date so hopefully this one won't have any issues after a couple of months.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It's highly likely that "nits battle" will go the same way as "megapixels battle" went by that time. I mean, do you really want to have a sun shining into your eyes from your TV when you try to watch a movie on it?

I want a TV that can show the brightest details in the brightest scenes, yes. Tone mapping can only get you so far.

If that Micro OLED tech is real then OLED may be able to achieve such results in the near future as well.

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Looks we will soon have new winner of the nits battle :D

CES 2018 will be interesting :D

ZD10... I mean holy shit, can you imagine what type of display this must be?

You know what, before I got an OLED, I'd have salivated over that! I put this on AVF today.

Haha, well you have to see both sides of the coin, to fully understand what's what, and my conclusion is that the Premium UHD Alliance HDR test patterns, which reviewers use are a complete waste and tbh misleading, in regards to what you're really gonna get in the HDR performance stakes!

Now the 902 does 1300nits (10%) on these patterns, and the B7 does 750ish, and I can tell you for a fact, that the B7 achieves much brighter specular highlights, no question. So why is that? Cause the FALD has to dim it's backlight so it can keep nice blacks with highlights! So what is the bloody point in using with test patterns, where it isn't applicable to the actual performance you're gonna get!? Bloody crazy.

The most important figure an LCD has is 100% white nits, as it's the only situation, where a bright sky, snow and sun, or similar can use it's potential, without having dim the zones.

I think reviewers need to stopusing the Alliance HDR testing, totally inaccurate.

Infinite contrast does wonders to perceived brightness... in 2019, LGD will be increasing the aperture ratio of their sets -- as a consequence, peak nits should reach 1000-1500 nits.
Mirage Vision at 2016 CES showcased an OLED TV with LGD supplied panels, capable of producing 1400 nits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffSp1d4B9WI

I don't think the product ever materialized, but at least we know the tech is there.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, OLED will need an evolution (micro-OLED?) to reach that. As it stands, it can't even reach 1000 nits.

By the time I'll be ready to upgrade to HDMI 2.1 in a couple of years, we could be seeing 3000-4000 nits TVs on the market and hopefully HDR10+ and DV as standards. That would be some crazy good HDR picture quality.
This is why it's good to wait a couple years for HDMI 2.1. TV panels need to catch up to these new specs. Plus there will probably be a HDMI 2.1a or HDMI 2.2 revision in a couple years with more improvements.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
ZD10... I mean holy shit, can you imagine what type of display this must be?

Infinite contrast does wonders to perceived brightness... in 2019, LGD will be increasing the aperture ratio of their sets -- as a consequence, peak nits should reach 1000-1500 nits.
Mirage Vision at 2016 CES showcased an OLED TV with LGD supplied panels, capable of producing 1400 nits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffSp1d4B9WI

I don't think the product ever materialized, but at least we know the tech is there.

It does, but since owning one of the very best LCD's and now an OLED, it only goes to prove that peak brightness on an LCD, especially FALD is not as it's supposed to be, basically only hitting the top figures on test patterns where the backlight is full tilt, whereas on real mixed scenes with speculars dotted between black, the backlight can't do both, because now I've seen a 750nit display smoke a 1300nit one on the same scenes.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
It does, but since owning one of the very best LCD's and now an OLED, it only goes to prove that peak brightness on an LCD, especially FALD is not as it's supposed to be, basically only hitting the top figures on test patterns where the backlight is full tilt, whereas on real mixed scenes with speculars dotted between black, the backlight can't do both, because now I've seen a 750nit display smoke a 1300nit one on the same scenes.

You moved to OLED? :o

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
I had both the 902 and B7 at the same time too, which Is why I'm confused about 'dim' HDR mode, it's anything but, outgunning the 902, aside from one single game so far (Battlefield 1) because of its majorly bright maps, but I'm guessing it's 10k nits, but can't find any info! I nearly didn't buy it over the dim accusations, so glad I did.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I had both the 902 and B7 at the same time too, which Is why I'm confused about 'dim' HDR mode, it's anything but, outgunning the 902, aside from one single game so far (Battlefield 1) because of its majorly bright maps, but I'm guessing it's 10k nits, but can't find any info! I nearly didn't buy it over the dim accusations, so glad I did.

My E6 is pretty dim if I don't enable Dynamic Contrast. :(

OP
OP
Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017

LG 2017 OLED's have a more aggressive tone mapping curve in HDR game versus other modes , regardless of PC or non-PC input type. Have no idea why. Roughly speaking, at default brightness settings it's about 15-25% dimmer. Because most games have an adjustable in-game brightness slider, or better yet, HDR brightness settings, you can match or get very close luminance output between HDR game and non-game modes.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What a shame LG did that, it's only 100nits dimmer than the 7 series, it isn't necessary! Can't you roll back firmware?

Yeah but it's a hassle I'm not willing to go through. It still looks pretty good with DC on High.

I'll be upgrading to a HDMI 2.1 set when the next consoles come out so I'm not bothered.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
LG 2017 OLED's have a more aggressive tone mapping curve in HDR game versus other modes , regardless of PC or non-PC input type. Have no idea why. Roughly speaking, at default brightness settings it's about 15-25% dimmer. Because most games have an adjustable in-game brightness slider, or better yet, HDR brightness settings, you can match or get very close luminance output between HDR game and non-game modes.

I just had a good look at Battlefront with default settings game HDR vs Cinema, and yeah it's slightly brighter, but nothing to write home about, still really bright, with popping highlights! But like you say, you can close the gap with in game settings.

Crydaddy

Oct 25, 2017
Miramichi, NB
Question about my x900e. I have an HTNT-5 soundbar hooked up to it in HDMI3/ARC. Am I limited in using it there or could I also set up an optical cable so that my other HDMI inputs could also use this soundbar?

One1stepahead

Oct 27, 2017
Alright guys, i've upgraded my C7 firmware from 03.60.09 to 04.70.30 and HDR Game Mode didn't become dimmer! Not one nit! ;-)

And YouTube HDR doesn't look washed out anymore, this is great!

I hope LG wil fix the dim HDR Game Mode for the 2016 LG OLED TV's. That's a real problem from what i understand.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks we will soon have new winner of the nits battle :D

CES 2018 will be interesting :D

That's an impressive number for brightness, but as long as LCD hasn't fixed its issues with black level, uniformity, and consistency, it's not going to be competitive for overall IQ, to me.

Is an OLED worth it if you mainly play Switch?

It's great for Switch, too. Just go for the LG, as the upscaling from 1080p is much faster than Sony's.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Of all games Fire Emblem Warriors has a quality and performance mode on Switch when docked. 1080p30 for quality and a mighty 720p60 for performance. I go for the 60fps, can't believe I'm gaming at 720p in 2017 but it doesn't look too bad because the graphics are cel shaded. Nintendo games translate well because of the art style.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just bought my TCL 55p and I love it a lot. A big upgrade from my 2015 Sony 4K. Anyways, I found some HDR calibration settings for it and it looks great, but do I keep those for non HDR games? I'm currently on dishonored 2 and it's not HDR on my X. Also, since the brightness is at 100 along with the backlight, I used HDR dark because it just felt easier to the eyes. So my question is; are those brightness settings good for blu Ray as well? Like for darker movies? I'm just kinda confused since this is my first HDR set

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
I have a question about sound settings on my Sony tv. On sound settings, there is a setting called Dynamic Range, and the options are Compressed or Standard. Compressed sounded louder than Standard. What should be the setting here if I want to hear sound the way the sound engineer intends it to be? Thanks.

McCHitman

Nov 22, 2017
I noticed Image Retention on my first day with the C7 Monday. It was after a commercial, but it only lasted for a short while. I haven't seen anything since then. And I've played Youtube videos with static images, as well as games with static huds.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If you can control light in your room then OLED limited nits can be mitigated by the contrast ratio in a dark room. My viewing is in an annoyingly bright room with limited ability to control, so I'm hoping for a good FALD set or OLED/mLED to bring actual nit increases

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about sound settings on my Sony tv. On sound settings, there is a setting called Dynamic Range, and the options are Compressed or Standard. Compressed sounded louder than Standard. What should be the setting here if I want to hear sound the way the sound engineer intends it to be? Thanks.

Regular. Compressed will reduce the peaks, designed so you can listen at lower volumes and still heear quieter sounds without loud sounds being obnoxious

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Alright guys, i've upgraded my C7 firmware from 03.60.09 to 04.70.30 and HDR Game Mode didn't become dimmer! Not one nit! ;-)

And YouTube HDR doesn't look washed out anymore, this is great!

I hope LG wil fix the dim HDR Game Mode for the 2016 LG OLED TV's. That's a real problem from what i understand.

Yea right? I don't really notice the dimming at all so I assume it's only an issue with 2016 models.

I would have to say no unless you have money to burn. I'm sure it'll look alright on OLED but Switch graphics don't really take advantage of what the OLED can do.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017
Yea right? I don't really notice the dimming at all so I assume it's only an issue with 2016 models.

I would have to say no unless you have money to burn. I'm sure it'll look alright on OLED but Switch graphics don't really take advantage of what the OLED can do.

I agree with that, played Mario the other night, looked decent, but yeah not what these TV's are about.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Not like Mario looks worse though on an OLED than non OLED 4k screens. Nintendo games are typically bright and colorful so they translate well to almost any screen.

I'm assuming the poster is going to watch 4k HDR movies too besides switch gaming? But yeah I mean if the switch is the only thing the TV is used for I wouldn't do it.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I am so conflicted on getting the X900e or the B7/C7 OLED

Part of me wants to get the 75" Sony for approx. the same price as the 65" LG OLEDs, and the distance guides all say I need 75" since I'm sitting approx. 10ft away.
Plus the Sony will get brigther
Will be using mostly for gaming.

Decisions, decisions...

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Part of me wants to get the 75" Sony for approx. the same price as the 65" LG OLEDs, and the distance guides all say I need 75" since I'm sitting approx. 10ft away.

Decisions, decisions...

I could understand hesitating between a zd9/x940e or even x930e but the X900E brightness advantage over the B7/C7 isn't nearly enough to offset what true blacks combined with still very decent peak brightness can bring to the HDR experience.

DOTDASHDOT

Oct 26, 2017

Decisions, decisions...

It's a bit different for you being a size thing, but I have zero regrets going from a 512 zone FALD, as the OLED bests it in every way, aside from mega bright open areas.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Folks, looking for advice. I currently have two devices (Xbox One X and Tivo Bolt+) connected to my LG OLED B7A tv going through my soundbar. So two devices into the soundbar and one cable going into the TV into ARC HDMI 2. I am considering having my Tivo plug directly into the tv into the non ARC HDMI port on the TV. By doing this if I enable ARC on the TV and ARC on my soundbar the audio from the Tivo should pass to the soundbar right? I would continue to have the XOX go into the soundbar and then out to the tv into the ARC HDMI 2. Would this work or am I misunderstanding how the ARC stuff works.

Madness

Oct 25, 2017
3000 nits... damn. This is the one thing thst can deflate OLED hype if LED televisions keep getting darker and darker blacks and with FALD and newer technologies while pushing nit brightness to retina searing levels. 3000 nits would make HDR completely stand out. Hell I can't even imagine how bright that would get in a dark room. My KS8000 hits 1300 nits but doesn't sustain at that but in a dark room when I'm viewing a UHD HDR film, I sometimes feel its bright. Would be great for games.

Dammit Sony, work with LG display, get OLED nit brightness up quickly so we can have the best of all worlds.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Decisions, decisions...
That was the choice I made last month actually. I was replacing a 70" Vizio. The OLEDs have a great picture, but the difference between them and the X900E in clarity wasn't as great as the difference between 65" and 75" in size. I'm really happy with my decision, and it still looks phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.