ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I really wish they just remastered turtles in time and made it look like shredders revenge tbh :|

I feel like shredders was more worth the money for me but I bought cowabunga collection twice on switch and steam so whatever lol

This is incredibly silly.

First, what you're asking for is not a remaster. That would require a full remake from the ground up.

Second, that was a different developer.

Third, the literal point of this game is that it is a collection of the entire series so you're not even making sense.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
TMNT2: Back from the Sewers might be one of the most poorly designed games I've played.

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad it's on here. But that second boss is one of the worst things I've played in a very long time.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
How is the pc port? Does it have really a stuttering problem which was mentioned in one(?) review?

Every versions has judder. No one is full smooth like originals games (in native hardware or emulated on PC). So in the end it depends of your standards. I've refunded because judder is terrible for me.

Oct 25, 2017
hmm... not quite Id go that far. I remember my fair share of laggy matches. But still playable. Definitely seems worse in this newer release though...
Yeah, it didn't always work back then either, but there were times when you could have relatively lag free matches with 4 players while I haven't found one were 4 players didn't encounter lag crippling the game to a crawl. Three people is about the best you can find now and even that's rare.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredibly silly.

First, what you're asking for is not a remaster. That would require a full remake from the ground up.

Second, that was a different developer.

Third, the literal point of this game is that it is a collection of the entire series so you're not even making sense.

Quite frankly, the only major complaint I have is the online issues. Last page, someone doesn't like the tv filter whereas myself I appreciate it. Here, someone wants a full remake graphical update which defeats the purpose of a retro collection.

If they did that, people like us would complain about losing the retro look (and rightly so!)

Discussions are fine this being a message board and all but I have to agree with you some of the takes are…interesting.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
TMNT2: Back from the Sewers might be one of the most poorly designed games I've played.

Don't get me wrong: I'm glad it's on here. But that second boss is one of the worst things I've played in a very long time.
Who is the second boss in that one, even? Bebop? Is that the end of the highway stage?

The Game Boy games basically have lost all their value in this format--when they were released, they were intended to be the sorts of games kids played in the back seat of the car during long car rides. But no one's going to be playing these games this way today (except maaaaaybe some Switch players), so they have basically none of their original value in this collection.

As you indicated, they do have value for their sheer novelty. But it's basically impossible to experience these games today the way they were intended to be experienced.

Still doesn't excuse Back from the Sewers's really cheap enemy placement in some areas, though (Radical Rescue has the same problem, too). It's really a shame, because Back from the Sewers has some great graphics for a Game Boy game--large and detailed sprites, and excellent backgrounds. RR is actually quite a step back in those regards. (The Turtles' animations are weird, though).

Oct 25, 2017
SOUTH TOWN
PS4/PS5 versions are acceptable? They perform well? I am considering getting this on PlayStation, Series X, or Switch. Being able to find random teammates to play with will factor into my decision.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
"Since none of the games originally had online play, we knew that adding it would be a huge undertaking. We first chose the arcade games, as getting three other friends to play would be much easier with online play. The SNES version of TMNT Tournament Fighters was chosen as it has the most competitive scene. For the fourth game, we chose TMNT Hyperstone Heist for both variety and to give the Genesis fans love as well."
nintendoeverything.com

Konami explains how it chose which games to support with online in TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection

Konami comments on why only certain games include online play in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the ps5 version but I'm thinking about getting the switch for on the go gameplay,how is the switch port ?

I have XSX digital and Switch physical version. Huge fan of original games. On Switch, portable, played through TMNT1 in full, Turtles in Time snes in full, and partials of the others. 100% had a good time! Buy with confidence.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
PS4/PS5 versions are acceptable? They perform well? I am considering getting this on PlayStation, Series X, or Switch. Being able to find random teammates to play with will factor into my decision.

Based on this thread, all console versions are acceptable for one player offline, for online though YMMV. I can personally vouch for single player offline XSX and Switch.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Those gameboy games are rough

not sure if posted already (sorry in advance if it has) if you are after trophies you can select watch, wait till final boss is almost done, take over the game, save, quit and load. Finish boss and trophy pops,
Thank you for this. I was wondering if I would have to actually play through those games to get the trophies and was hoping there'd be a workaround.
I'm with you on the first two GB games but I think the third one is actually pretty cool. Pseudo-Metroidvania game. It's interesting.

Every versions has judder. No one is full smooth like originals games (in native hardware or emulated on PC). So in the end it depends of your standards. I've refunded because judder is terrible for me.
Does every version have judder? I've only played a tiny bit on Xbox and haven't played the arcade games but I did not notice judder and I'm generally pretty sensitive to that stuff.

nintendoeverything.com

Konami explains how it chose which games to support with online in TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection

Konami comments on why only certain games include online play in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection.
Fully expected this to be the case. DE would have no qualms doing online for every game but Konami was too cheap to pay for that.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I'm with you on the first two GB games but I think the third one is actually pretty cool. Pseudo-Metroidvania game. It's interesting.

Does every version have judder? I've only played a tiny bit on Xbox and haven't played the arcade games but I did not notice judder and I'm generally pretty sensitive to that stuff.

Fully expected this to be the case. DE would have no qualms doing online for every game but Konami was too cheap to pay for that.

Yeah, I was thinking of playing through the third game, it's just the first two that are rough. The animation is so stiff in them that I just don't know if I could do full play-throughs.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
I've got the scroll weapon ,and I almost beat mechaturtle at lv 3.
t254rrzor1o31.png

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure if this is fair to say, unless you own all of the console versions and PC and can compare. I'm very sensitive to both judder and frame issues in general, and haven't noticed anything glaring on Xbox.

Same, XSX seems fine.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Seeing the JPN title for Hyperstone Heist ("Return of the Shredder") got me thinking a bit.

The title implies it's a sequel to one of the previous games. Since it's not a numbered title, I feel it can go a few different ways.

A sequel to the Arcade version of Turtles in Time. Main reason why is because normal Shredder is the final boss. In the SNES version, it's Super Shredder. Basically no different than the Super Shredder from Hyperstone Heist.

I was going to say a possible sequel (in terms of story) to the Sega version of Tournament Fighters because Shredder was absent from that one. But Hyperstone Heist came out before those games.

I'm not sure how this game could fit with the others when looking at it from a story perspective.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Who is the second boss in that one, even? Bebop? Is that the end of the highway stage?

The Game Boy games basically have lost all their value in this format--when they were released, they were intended to be the sorts of games kids played in the back seat of the car during long car rides. But no one's going to be playing these games this way today (except maaaaaybe some Switch players), so they have basically none of their original value in this collection.

As you indicated, they do have value for their sheer novelty. But it's basically impossible to experience these games today the way they were intended to be experienced.

Still doesn't excuse Back from the Sewers's really cheap enemy placement in some areas, though (Radical Rescue has the same problem, too). It's really a shame, because Back from the Sewers has some great graphics for a Game Boy game--large and detailed sprites, and excellent backgrounds. RR is actually quite a step back in those regards. (The Turtles' animations are weird, though).
I was surprised how much I enjoyed Back from the Sewers. Yeah it's cheap at times, but for a Gameboy game, it's presentation is really good and it's got a few things going for it in terms of level design like how some levels let you move around on a 3D plane and how some have you jump on platforms like Shinobi. If BftS was TMNT 1 on the NES, it would have been considered a classic.

In this collection, BftS surprised me the most.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the JPN title for Hyperstone Heist ("Return of the Shredder") got me thinking a bit.

The title implies it's a sequel to one of the previous games. Since it's not a numbered title, I feel it can go a few different ways.

A sequel to the Arcade version of Turtles in Time. Main reason why is because normal Shredder is the final boss. In the SNES version, it's Super Shredder. Basically no different than the Super Shredder from Hyperstone Heist.

I was going to say a possible sequel (in terms of story) to the Sega version of Tournament Fighters because Shredder was absent from that one. But Hyperstone Heist came out before those games.

I'm not sure how this game could fit with the others when looking at it from a story perspective.
I think somewhere along development it was originally going to be a TiT port, but plans probably changed because there was no work around for the throwing the characters into the screen, so at the last minute they made it it's own thing with one unique level.

This is of course just me coming up with a reason why it's got so little original content and even the story and cutscenes are pretty much Turtles in Time.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think somewhere along development it was originally going to be a TiT port, but plans probably changed because there was no work around for the throwing the characters into the screen, so at the last minute they made it it's own thing with one unique level.

This is of course just me coming up with a reason why it's got so little original content and even the story and cutscenes are pretty much Turtles in Time.
Given how close in proximity it released to TiT SNES (four or so months), I feel like it was probably developed in parallel with the SNES version, at the least.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017

Not being able to throw them through the screen hurt me more than anything. I kept trying to do it...and it just wasn't happening.

Love the game regardless, but it hurt so bad.

But yeah, it's basically the Sega version of Turtles in Time.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Not being able to throw them through the screen hurt me more than anything. I kept trying to do it...and it just wasn't happening.

Love the game regardless, but it hurt so bad.

But yeah, it's basically the Sega version of Turtles in Time.
The Shredder boss fight on Hard drove me crazy when I was a kid, because of the random nature of it. It's more of a muscle memory kinda thing for me, because I don't think there's a correct input to pull it off 100% of the time.

Also, I'm on Stage 4 (JFK Airport) in TMNT 1. Im totally committed to seeing the end game here. If I would ever pull the Dam off as a kid, I don't see how I would have gotten past Stage 3 (Wall St) given how obtuse and maze like it is.

Jan 6, 2019
I think all 3 of the gameboy games are pretty awful. The first one has straight lines for level design and is like 30 minutes long. The second one has those stupid ugly giant turtle sprites and the game is cheap and irritating. The third one is a bad metroidvania with no variety in environments, shared lifebar for 4 turtles, and a crappy boss rush at the end.

I also think that all 3 versions of Tournament fighters are abysmal as single player games. Atrocious imput reading AI, like Mortal Kombat levels. Hyperstone Heist is also pretty mediocre. The games I will be coming back to in this collection are the NES games, the arcade games, and Turtles in Time. The other 7 I will never touch again.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
The Shredder boss fight on Hard drove me crazy when I was a kid, because of the random nature of it. It's more of a muscle memory kinda thing for me, because I don't think there's a correct input to pull it off 100% of the time.

Also, I'm on Stage 4 (JFK Airport) in TMNT 1. Im totally committed to seeing the end game here. If I would ever pull the Dam off as a kid, I don't see how I would have gotten past Stage 3 (Wall St) given how obtuse and maze like it is.
You basically just have to know where the final building is, and how to get there. The vast majority of Stage 3 is optional, and you can completely skip most of it. BUT that's only if you know what you're doing.

Stage 4 is much the same. If you know the ideal route to go, you'll have a much easier time.

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this collection. Got the plat within 2 days. Great trip down memory lane (TMNT games were my first NES, SNES, GB, and SG games not counting pack ins). The only one I never really played before was TMNT 3 GB (which was great but the bosses were bullshit, especially that last one).

I know I asked before in this topic, but I don't really have another place to ask my ERA fam: has anyone else ordered their LEs from Target? I have yet to get a shipping Notice and online says they were scheduled to arrive today.

I really, really hope this doesn't end with a series of cancellations…

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Really my only complaint thus far, but online will be dead in a week anyway.

Like that video, I hosted a TiT session and it felt pretty great until that 4th player came in. But he didn't stop there, he would constantly go AFK and we would get nuked a few times before he came back. On the train level he finally spared us and left after a few nukes, BUT THE GAME DIDN'T MAKE HIS TURTLE LEAVE LOL. So I gave up and had to shut down the session after nobody took his spot.

Oct 25, 2017
Really my only complaint thus far, but online will be dead in a week anyway.

Like that video, I hosted a TiT session and it felt pretty great until that 4th player came in. But he didn't stop there, he would constantly go AFK and we would get nuked a few times before he came back. On the train level he finally spared us and left after a few nukes, BUT THE GAME DIDN'T MAKE HIS TURTLE LEAVE LOL. So I gave up and had to shut down the session after nobody took his spot.
They legit would have been better off putting Turtles in Time SNES online since it's mostly okay with two players. I went through Hyperstone Heist without a hiccup.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
You basically just have to know where the final building is, and how to get there. The vast majority of Stage 3 is optional, and you can completely skip most of it. BUT that's only if you know what you're doing.

Stage 4 is much the same. If you know the ideal route to go, you'll have a much easier time.
Finished it. That final stretch was something. Those Jetpack guys were hard to avoid at first but I found my way. There is no way my 5-7 year old self would have beaten this game without a the internet, emulation tricks or even a guide. Too many unavailable traps and lots of unpredictable situations would start me at the beginning of the game.

ZeroCDR

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They legit would have been better off putting Turtles in Time SNES online since it's mostly okay with two players. I went through Hyperstone Heist without a hiccup.

100%, will be very happy if they patch that in but I'm not holding my breath. Two players in either arcade game was the sweet spot.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I finished TMNT 1 NES the other day and I'm currently playing through TMNT 2 NES. I'm not sure what to play after, though, since I wanna save Manhattan Project for last. Maybe 1989 or TMNT 1 GB?

I had no idea the third GameBoy game was a Metroidvania until now...

Honestly, I was vaguely aware that there was at least one GB game. I had no idea that there were actually three. I didn't even know about Hyperstone Heist, actually.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
Finished it. That final stretch was something. Those Jetpack guys were hard to avoid at first but I found my way. There is no way my 5-7 year old self would have beaten this game without a the internet, emulation tricks or even a guide. Too many unavailable traps and lots of unpredictable situations would start me at the beginning of the game.
I got to the point where I just saw getting inside the Technodrome as basically beating the game. The Technodrome battle is a worthy final boss in its own right, even.

I did finish the NES game once (the actual game on the actual hardware), at some point in the past. It's weird; I can't remember how I did it (how in the world did I get through that last corridor? I must've stocked up on ninja scrolls, but I don't remember doing that) or even when I did it--it could have been at any point in the last 10, 20, or 30 years. It's like this weird, out-of-body, out-of-mind experience that is completely disconnected from the temporal realm of existence. But I know I did it, and I remember the ending--I remember the Shredder boss fight, what he looked like (wearing the red shirt and not his cartoon blue one), how easy he was, and even the layout of the stage. I remember that last hallway full of the jetpack guys. I also remember Splinter turning back into a human and the close-up portraits of him and April. But I have no idea when I experienced this, or how I accomplished it. I have no idea how I got past the jet pack guys. And I also know I only ever beat this game once; I was never, ever able to do it again. I guess on some random day at some point in my life, I entered a true Zen state of being, and brought all my gaming skills down to bear on the hardest game I've ever played.

This singular achievement may have been my greatest NES accomplishment, and that's coming from someone who can beat NES Battletoads in his sleep.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
The TMNT games used Super Shredder better than the Secret of the Ooze did. I haven't seen any of the newer cartoons but was Super Shredder featured in them?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Yeah.

It's so fucking hard to get away from him. He basically hovers on you the entire time so it's ridiculously difficult to avoid being hit simply by touching his sprite. It's not a "git gud" moment either. It's just horribly designed.

Well, I legitimately had a solid time with Fall of the Foot Clan. I can definitely see the kid version of me loving that game. But man, TMNT takes that same exact gameplay and for whatever reason, ups the difficult to an unfair level with moments of poor game design that feel lifted out of NES TMNT.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017

The Dam killed all of our childhood dreams.

I'd always be so close. Probably the first time I ever cried playing a video game.

I need to actually start a playthrough myself to see if I could actually do better this time around.