• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Note to self: don't take the Yordle dodge chance augment because apparently, it's not going to stop 4 other people from running Yordles...
That just means you can 3* Veigar that much sooner. Don't have to run all 6 Yordles, just grab, like, Poppy, Vex, and Heimer to get the free value (and the most out of the dodge chance, I'd argue). Buy the others as they come up to empty the pool faster and start pulling Veigars.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
That just means you can 3* Veigar that much sooner. Don't have to run all 6 Yordles, just grab, like, Poppy, Vex, and Heimer to get the free value (and the most out of the dodge chance, I'd argue). Buy the others as they come up to empty the pool faster and start pulling Veigars.
My friends and I have been trying to set up an in-house where we all have to play Yordles following these rules but haven't been able to find a time that works:

* You must buy every Yordle you see
* You cannot sell any Yordles
* You must play at least one of every Yordle you have on the board if able to

It should be fun :3

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Was able to climb a lot the past two weeks and combined with people decaying out, I hit Grandmaster again just before the set ends to finish two sets in a row in GM. It took a lot for me to unlearn all the awful habits I made in the ultra greedy meta of the winter holidays. Hopefully I can keep it up in the next set where we won't have those long patches.

Set 6 Wrapped is up on Tactics.Tools! I always look forward to this at the end of the set:

Set 7.5 wrapped - Teamfight Tactics

In depth stats, analytics, match history, team builder, and various other tools you need to master Teamfight Tactics Set 8.

Two things I noticed:
  1. Backbone of your climb - Yuumi: +3555LP
    I honestly thing Yuumi might be one of the most ridiculous units they've ever made.
  2. ~510 3 star units vs ~110 in Set 5.5. Yordles are insane. I have about 5x as many 3 star this set when you consider that I had Ziggs 3 star on bench at the end of the game in probably ~50 games and it's not counted in this
Looking back, my two favourite comps bar none this set were:
  1. Arcanist Lux
    It was hard to play because Lux needs a specific three items to do well and honestly the comp really wants an Arcanist Emblem or Heart for LV8 because otherwise you can't fit Taric and your frontline becomes a lot weaker, not to mention it wants Yuumi which is a 5 cost, but when it was online it was so much fun to play. Lux was also my favourite comp in Double Up because of how effective she was as a three star unit. My friend or I would usually try to go in that direction if we could.
  2. Tristana Re-Roll
    This became less effective after the nerfs right before live and then moreso once everyone was using Yordles early game making it harder to hit, but it was still great when I had the right open for it and by far the best comp in Hyper Roll too. It was also a very unique type of re-roll comp and the only time I've actually tried to three star a unit that never gets played on the board.
Other honourable mentions are Heimerdinger with 4 Scholar + 2 Socialite (before Socialite nerf) or 6 Scholar, Jhin Sion, Orianna Seraphine, Innovator in general, Malzahar Cho'Gath especially with Protector Emblem. Most of these are gone next set except for Orianna Seraphine so will be really interesting. I'm looking forward to Vi who plays a lot like Riven in Set 4.0 who I've missed a lot.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at my recap made me realize I'm going to have to relearn a lot in 6.5. My top 3 most used units and carries (which are mostly the same) are gone. 2/3 of my most 3 starred 2 and 3 costs are gone (the 3 cost staying is Vex who's not really a carry).

The game I did the most damage is confusing as hell because I legit don't know who my main carry is lol. I was 6 assassin/4 academy and my carries were a 2 star IE/Rabadon/Blue Buff Katarina, 2 star double RFC Shaco, 2 star Assassin emblem/IE Lux and a 2 star Akali with a chalice. Somehow did 257 damage that game.

Edit: Oh lol it was 3 days after the set came out. That explains a bit.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
It was in Hyper Roll but this was the first flawless match I've ever had. Ashe was nuts but Senna was also surprisingly beastly.

flawless.png

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This game really is yin and yang. A game where I couldn't find Irelia 2 after 60 gold uncontested rolling before everyone else. Then followed by a game where it gave me a 0 item full gold open with Cho'Gath drop, first augment Unstable Evolution, Synaptic Web mutation, Luden's Echo II second augment, a spatula on carousel when I already had hella cloaks, a Level 7 Silco...

VL1xcyW.png

Took me about 10 games to find my groove where I think I had one Top 4 the whole time but hit Master after 37 total now off that insane game.

Silco is fortunately being nerfed on Wednesday along with Renata Glasc it sounds like.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Haha, apparently I was making this post last time I was on this page:

Took me another 33 games or so in Master but hit GM! Maybe I'll finally peak Challenger this set?

I have the answer to the question I was asking another 25 games later:

unknown.png

I remember when I first started playing and hit Platinum I thought that was the furthest I'd go! I don't expect to maintain Challenger for the rest of the set but it's super cool to have been able to at least reach it once. The lobbies I played in last night felt much more intense than I'm used to so I'll really need to get used to the pressure if I want to maintain Challenger and/or climb towards 1K LP in the future.

So far my comfort comp is Innovator Flex with 5 Innovator + an AD carry (I like Irelia and Khazix most but can slot in Jhin, Sivir, Draven) + 2 supporting units. Ashe re-roll feels super strong and Mutants are always an option I look at too. I'm kind of uncomfortable with most AP comps at the moment though so it's something I'll need to work on.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, apparently I was making this post last time I was on this page:

I have the answer to the question I was asking another 25 games later:

unknown.png

I remember when I first started playing and hit Platinum I thought that was the furthest I'd go! I don't expect to maintain Challenger for the rest of the set but it's super cool to have been able to at least reach it once. The lobbies I played in last night felt much more intense than I'm used to so I'll really need to get used to the pressure if I want to maintain Challenger and/or climb towards 1K LP in the future.

So far my comfort comp is Innovator Flex with 5 Innovator + an AD carry (I like Irelia and Khazix most but can slot in Jhin, Sivir, Draven) + 2 supporting units. Ashe re-roll feels super strong and Mutants are always an option I look at too. I'm kind of uncomfortable with most AP comps at the moment though so it's something I'll need to work on.
Gratz! Holy crap.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Still nearly a week until it launches but my early impressions of set 7 are not great. There's a bunch of unit/trait designs I find questionable. I don't like Shimmerscale's concept at all. The item order changing every game makes it annoying to decide whether to go it vertically. Revel's power almost comes entirely from getting a Revel emblem and putting it on someone (usually Anivia currently). Mystic feels significantly harder to invest in than Enchanter was because one of them is a dragon and only Bard brings a splashable trait. There was also WAY too much CC when the PBE launched which thankfully they've been bring down. There's still a bunch of bugs and tuning that needs to happen but I'm not holding that against the set since that's literally what the PBE is for.

Still lots of things I've been enjoying about the set as well. Reroll Mage is probably my favorite build so far. Dragonmancer, Astral and Evoker are fun. Ragewing is interesting. There's more options for frontlines than set 6. Still haven't tried a couple builds like Tempest and Swiftshot.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I was out of town for a while and then played my decay games when I got back so I could end the set in GM. This is probably the least time I've had to play on PBE before live, and the last time this happened was a half-set so I at least I knew half the units! Going to be interesting to play on Ranked when I get the chance.

I'm not sure how I feel about the dragons. It feels hard to learn them when they all look so similar and are completely new. I like that emblems craftable emblems feel more useful this time! It's been a while since that was the case. Mage is one of the most fun traits though looks like a nightmare to balance with Aurelion Sol.

Excited for my old League of Legends one trick to be in the game. Gonna do some Sona builds.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Think Lee Sin might be my favorite carry so far. He just wrecks back lines if you position him right. Best part is he's almost always uncontested. Dragonmancer teams always go either Swain or Volibear (or Yasuo late) carries and I've never really seen anyone go vertical Tempest except for me. My last game I had 8 Tempest/6 Dragonmancer.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Almost got first place with a Voli carry (Jade/Dragonmancer), but somebody else got a mage splat on their ASol + a Blue Battery augment so that was that, lol.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Almost got first place with a Voli carry (Jade/Dragonmancer), but somebody else got a mage splat on their ASol + a Blue Battery augment so that was that, lol.

Saw a bunch of Volibear carries the first day but haven't seen many since. Swain is the dragonmancer carry most people go but I've seen a ton of reroll Sett teams today. None of them ended up finishing that well though. Hit Volibear 3 twice today but I was mainly focusing on Lee Sin. Did swap dragonmancer to Volibear the game I didn't hit Lee Sin 3 though.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Went into this set blind so I'm still feeling things out but I think my favorite thing so far is that it seems like not every carry just runs crit items this set which is something I was really getting tired of. Just a lot more build variety overall which is nice to see.

Hopefully dragons don't wear thin too quickly.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Went into this set blind so I'm still feeling things out but I think my favorite thing so far is that it seems like not every carry just runs crit items this set which is something I was really getting tired of. Just a lot more build variety overall which is nice to see.

Hopefully dragons don't wear thin too quickly.

The main AP comp this set (Mage) favors Rabadon's way more than Arcanist did last set that heavily relied on Jeweled Gauntlet. The change to Last Whisper also made crit less valuable but Whispers makes LW pretty unnecessary. The main thing holding back crit builds right now is Assassins sucks the the attack damage this set is very low which makes Deathblade extremely strong. The majority of AD builds I see right now are Deathblade, Rageblade and either a healing item or QSS. Would like to see them nerf Deathblade while buffing the AD of a bunch of units.

As far as dragons go once they fix Mage Aurelion Sol and rework Shyvana I think they're mostly in a good spot, if a little overtuned. I think Ao Shin builds is the best end game comp right now but it requires level 9 and doesn't have great options to hold items until you find one. My 8 Tempest/6 Dragonmancer game I got super lucky getting a Sho'jin on 5-4 carousel to complete my Ao Shin build otherwise I very likely wasn't gonna win that game because I was in a stacked lobby.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
If they buff AD across the board you'll see IE raise in popularity compared to DB again, especially given DB is harder to build.

I'm having a really hard to adjusting to the set due to all the dragons looking really similarly with completely new names from League and abilities I don't know. It's harder to play the traditional 2 star 4 cost carry when so few of them exist that aren't dragons. I also had an amazing start that I turned into a 6th largely because I hadn't read Yasuo's ability correctly lol.

Olaf re-roll feels insanely strong right now. I kinda wanna figure out how to play this Sett re-roll that China is so big on but I'm also assuming it'll get nerfed soon.

Also Pandora Bench is SO fun. I three starred Nidalee with 50 gold left (I had a gold open) at 3-1, then three starred Neeko, and almost three starred Shyvana but the game ended just before I could. The bench spots use cost so dragons always become dragons of the same tier. Had a 2 star Ao Shin with a 1/3 chance of being Shyvana each turn and I had 6 Shyavana already.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I am a Master- Challenger player in the other sets but I really struggle with this one.. it feels like the dragons are super strong or if you misuse them completely garbage.

Reroll comps exist but have to be bis and all 3 star to hold a chance against the dragons.

Some augments are also literally busted. Scorch for ragewings is gigabroken

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Got back to Platinum. Now the grind for Diamond begins. Think 6 Dragonmancer/6 Jade is my favorite Lee Sin build right now. Also for some reason played reroll Lillia 3 times today going 3rd, 7th (couldn't 3 star her), 5th. The only other reroll build I've been playing is Ezrael. When you start to hit your 3 stars your board spikes super hard and you can start econing again. Haven't won with it yet but I think I've played it 4 times and got 2nd twice and 3rd twice.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yeesh I feel so uncomfortable with this set. I don't understand the design of the 4 and 5 cost (and 8 and 10 cost) units. How come there's no 4 cost AP carry? How come only one of the 8 cost dragons is an AP carry who doesn't even want to cast (this is being fixed next patch). How come all of the 10 cost dragons are AP carries? And with Corki feeling so awful there's really only one 4 cost carry (Xayah) without counting Syfen and to a lesser extend Shi Oh Yu. I was hoping they'd be a bit more evenly split so you had options with your items.

The re-roll comps make getting there feel awful too because there are so many you're guaranteed to take 50 damage on Stage 3/4 unless you can match that strength which is very hard to do I feel like without exactly the right champs, but that's probably just me being unfamiliar with units?

I hit Diamond and will be away for a few weeks. Will hope the next two patches change it up enough where I'm more comfortable with it and make the push to Masters. Not sure if I'll have time to do GM with my summer schedule but we'll see.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'm not loving it rn even though I am pretty comfortable top 4ing. Just always get 2nd unless I omega high roll.

the augments make it a little too easy to get assassin olaf tbh between the urf grab bag and gold and prismatic emblems and rerolls. Ideally they'd switch out assassin and mage emblem from being craftable with something else imo

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Finally made it back to Diamond. Took 29 less games to get there than set 6 but couldn't get there within 100 like I was hoping (took 108). Generally don't like playing super meta comps but Xayah Guild was basically free lp for me to get there.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon's are just not fun at all. So much gold to be so much weaker than random cheaper shit. Then, to finally 2 star them, it's just this massive gold sink. Also, 1 star Xayah with a rage blade is laughably broken.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
dragon roulettes are the worst because I can not tell them apart at all.
I think the idea is solid but making them original characters instead of known champions was a mistake

the 8 cost ones are great since they spike earlier but I've literally never seen shyvana do something strong. Ao Shin and ASol wreck shit OTOH

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
My 3 star Syfen lost to a 3 star assassin Olaf. Like, why are dragons even in the game if they are just shit 4 costs?

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Been slowly trying to grind to masters. Today started well and then I went 5th 3 straight games. Currently low Diamond 3. Mainly been rotating between Jade, Corki and Shyvana builds. Really want to try Daeja but most of my games have been bad Mirages.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
I finally did it and hit Masters. I had a streak of ten straight top 4's that got me from Diamond 3 22lp to Diamond 1 40lp. Then for the last week I've been very up and down including falling down to Diamond 2 twice. The last 5 days I had ended the day up a tiny amount of lp and then today I finally broke out. Started the day at 32 lp and then went 1st, 3rd, 6th, 2nd which barely got me to Masters. Happy to give this set a rest until 7.5.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Was in Hyper Roll but turns out a 3-star copied Nomsy is uhh...pretty good. First augment was Mirage champs take 90% reduced damage for the first 6 seconds of combat which turned out to pretty damn great.

nomsy.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to go Darkflight but mismanaged my economy and ended up going out in 5th. Set feels a lot more flexible at first blush, at least.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Set 8 got revealed today. Augments staying around forever was kind of expected. Set 7 and 7.5 were really meh. Think I liked 7.5 a little more than 7 because I love Lagoon and Sohm. I never 3 starred a dragon in set 7 but I've 3 starred Sohm 3 times (as well as Nilah twice). Made a brief push to try to hit GM but I think I've given up. 7 and 7.5 were my first times hitting masters so I'll always have some fond memories of these sets despite not loving them.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
NA and EU Regionals this weekend! Hoping Ramblinnn finally gets his worlds invite though having to do it in Set 7 sounds bittersweet. He doesn't seem to be the favourite this time around like he was last though. Got a few other players I'm cheering for too.
Set 8 got revealed today. Augments staying around forever was kind of expected. Set 7 and 7.5 were really meh. Think I liked 7.5 a little more than 7 because I love Lagoon and Sohm. I never 3 starred a dragon in set 7 but I've 3 starred Sohm 3 times (as well as Nilah twice). Made a brief push to try to hit GM but I think I've given up. 7 and 7.5 were my first times hitting masters so I'll always have some fond memories of these sets despite not loving them.
I hated 7 and 7.5 but yeah I like 7.5 a bit more for the same reason: I really like Lagoon and Nilah. I think I've hit Nilah 3 more often than any 4 cost in any set I've played.
Hero augments sound like a solid idea. I'm all for anything that pushes for more variety.
I like the sound of most things this next set aside from Hero Augments. Im not surprised to see augments stick around though I think it promotes a more flowcharty way of playing TFT than I'd likeā€¦ I'm just afraid hero augments will require locking your comp in at 2-1 much like the current set requires you to. At the very least I think they won't be as bad as dragons.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I like the sound of most things this next set aside from Hero Augments. Im not surprised to see augments stick around though I think it promotes a more flowcharty way of playing TFT than I'd likeā€¦ I'm just afraid hero augments will require locking your comp in at 2-1 much like the current set requires you to. At the very least I think they won't be as bad as dragons.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I guess it could also end up being like the "chosen" mechanic where if you got a chosen Tristana at the beginning of the game you just dominated. Ideally, they'll balance them in a way that stronger units have weaker augments and vice versa, at least allowing you to highlight a unit that's generally weaker than others as opposed to just making an already strong unit even more dominant. I'm optimistic at least, but maybe I shouldn't be lol.

Athleon

Oct 28, 2017
I feel this will be counteracted by the traitless units, which promote more flex play. Also from what we've seen in the preview the Hero augments are not really tied to the traits so you might be running a unit with their hero augment in a different trait build just for the party effect the augment provides.

Yunsen

Oct 25, 2017
Had the perfect game to end set 7.5 on. Hit Pirate Mirage early in what ended up being a triple prismatic lobby. Hit Dragon Soul on 4-2 which with the crown I had (Urf's Grab Bag plus a spat from carousel) meant I hit 6 dragons at level 8 and cruised the rest of the game. Ending the set at Masters 173lp, around 90 below my peak. Also been spending some time coaching a friend which has been a lot of fun. Helped him get to Diamond which he's never hit before. Likely gonna end 7.5 with a higher impression than I initially thought.