Do you enjoy doing your taxes?

• Yes

Votes: 83 18.3%
  • Of course

Votes: 19 4.2%
  • It's my solumn duty

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • I don't recognize the federal government and the free state of my back yard does not collect taxes

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • Thor the Dark World

Votes: 146 32.2%
  • One does what one must

Votes: 186 41.1%
  • Ask me again on April 15, ain't no one got time for this before the deadline

Votes: 36 7.9%

• Total voters

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit, State is giving you back that much!? Did you qualify for some state specific credit/refund? Like some EV thing?
My tax situation was mostly the same with 2 exceptions, I had my daughter I have an agreement to claim with my ex for 7 months vs the 6 since she was unable to watch her due to some sick days and then during the summer which gave me a boost and I paid $8k additional interest on my mortgage this year vs last.

Normally I get back $300 - $500 between what I owe Fed and get back from State.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so confused. My income keeps rising but my tax refund has been flat for the past several years. In fact, it has gone down. Any ideas why that is? Fed has been $900-$1000. Oregon state refund has been $300 two years in a row. I am still claiming 0. I am insured year round with only one job and one source of income. Maybe these numbers are okay? I just always second guess them because I do it myself on TT.

your withholding on your paychecks has increased in-line with your higher income so there should be a minimal change to your refund. Going down can be do to things like income limits on a number of credits, etc. but small changes are normal

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
your withholding on your paychecks has increased in-line with your higher income so there should be a minimal change to your refund. Going down can be do to things like income limits on a number of credits, etc. but small changes are normal
cool, I kinda figured that this was normal but having a second opinion helps. Thank you :)

Power Shot

Oct 27, 2017
Question- I filled out a W-9 for a speaking engagement (I was paid $100 as a vendor). Should I expect a document from the college that paid me for the engagement, and how should I report this income through TurboTax?

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Question- I filled out a W-9 for a speaking engagement (I was paid $100 as a vendor). Should I expect a document from the college that paid me for the engagement, and how should I report this income through TurboTax?
It's hard to say. Many places don't bother printing out 1099's for amounts less than the required reporting threshold.

1099's didn't have to be mailed out to recipients until January 31st, and they don't have to be sent to the IRS until later than that.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Just reading the major tax website Q&A, improvements can be classified as capital improvements. But repairs are not deductible in any way. There's also renewable energy credits, but they don't seem to be huge.

Capital Improvements
Energy Credits

Not speaking on Ashhong's specific situation...

But in general, if you're capitalizing improvements, you're also able to deduct repairs. Of course, major repairs are not deductible and need to be capitalized. There's also the safe harbor election to consider when trying to expense repairs.

You don't capitalize improvements (or repairs) on non-business real property. You also do not deduct repair expenses related to your non-business real property. Or rather, it won't go anywhere on your tax return until the real property is placed into service for a trade or business (this includes a home office deduction).

My recommendation is to save all documentation relating to major improvements to your house if you think it might even be used in a trade or business, including you someday having a home office or someday renting out your house/a room.

(Also, if you sell your house, all capital improvements can be added to the basis. Honestly though, most people don't need to worry about it due to the 250k/500k exclusion on sale of residence.)

You can check online for more information from the IRS (irs.gov) related to what documentation and substantiation you need.

Last edited:

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Not speaking on Ashhong's specific situation...

But in general, if you're capitalizing improvements, you're also able to deduct repairs. Of course, major repairs are not deductible and need to be capitalized. There's also the safe harbor election to consider when trying to expense repairs.

You don't capitalize improvements (or repairs) on non-business real property. You also do not deduct repair expenses related to your non-business real property. Or rather, it won't go anywhere on your tax return until the real property is placed into service for a trade or business (this includes a home office deduction).

My recommendation is to save all documentation relating to major improvements to your house if you think it might even be used in a trade or business, including you someday having a home office or someday renting out your house/a room.

You can check online for more information from the IRS (irs.gov) related to what documentation and substantiation you need.

Other than a future business/rental use, you might want to keep track of home improvement costs if you are fortunate enough to see a $500k+ ($250k+ if single) increase in your house value.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Other than a future business/rental use, you might want to keep track of home improvement costs if you are fortunate enough to see a $500k+ ($250k+ if single) increase in your house value.

Yeah, I forgot to add that in (did now), but in my experience people rarely, rarely see 250k/500k profit on a home.

Very, very rarely.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Question for any renters in Wisconsin here:

Are there any free services that let you file if you're submitting a rent certificate? I've only ever figured out how to file using the manual form, the rent certificate never seems to come up when I'm using services like TurboTax etc, maybe I'm just missing it. It's an additional several hundred dollars..

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Federal was accepted, but has been awaiting processing. Looks like my state refund is already being processed.

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
By the way, I'd like to make y'all aware of a program offered in partnership with the IRS. It's free tax preparation for people who make under $56,000 a year.

Known as the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, IRS-certified volunteers will file your federal (and state) tax returns electronically for free. They can even help with "complicated" issues (well, relatively so), like foreign income issues, simple investment income, and even Sch Cs.

Please note that you generally need to call and make an appointment, but it's a really good way of getting free tax preparation, especially if you have questions.

You can look it up locations near you here:

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
So this is my first year doing taxes by myself. I have very little personal time, so I was looking at the HR block and Turbo Tax phone apps. All my previous taxes were at HR Block so I think it'd be easier to do it there. Are the apps good/trustworthy?

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
First time filing my taxes myself and it was super simple using TurboTax. Legit took me like 15 minutes. Getting a fair bit back from federal but ended up paying a little bit to state but not bad overall.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that first full year of mortgage interest payment number! At least it pushed me over into itemised deductions I guess.

I need to change up my whitholdings for next year. Have a crazy high return.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Done. Holding off on sending it in, in case something comes up that I forgot about. Doubt it, but one never knows.

I am happy because in 2019, we sold our former home which became a failing rental property, for a loss. Loss be damned; I will not have to take the time to enter that crap into Turbotax ever again, so a great weight has been lifted. We've owned that stupid place for 13 stupid years, and it's finally, finally behind us.

Going to have to adjust the amount that I have withheld. Refund is pretty substantial, which is nice, but I'd rather have that money at the time that I actually earn it.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
We got bent over by taxes this year because of a state and income change as a married couple. Went from a $2200 return last year to 108 and owing 14 in state taxes this year.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$100 or so refund. I never win the big bucks but I'm happy to get close enough to maximizing each paycheck without having to pay.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last year I was able to file both of my student loan interest forms without having to fill out a Schedule 1 on Turbo Tax but now this year is is requiring me to do this and upgrade to Deluxe. Did something change between last year and this year?

Oct 26, 2017
Question!

I used my Health Savings Account (HSA) for my wife in 2019. I keep getting mixed google results on whether I have to claim her and/or file jointly now. Anyone have any idea ?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Did my taxes on Turbo Tax this morning and submitted. IRS already accepted and say I should have my refund within 3 weeks.

Getting 8200 back. (3 kids)
Something very similar. Now we wait hopefully another week-ish to see when we get our deposit.

The last 2 years we've got ours back around the 21st or 3rd week of the month.

Those who don't claim the child tax credit should be getting there's if not already start to trickle down.

Oct 25, 2017
Did my taxes on Turbo Tax this morning and submitted. IRS already accepted and say I should have my refund within 3 weeks.

Getting 8200 back. (3 kids)
Holy crap that is a huge refund. I would recommend that you update your W4's so you take more money home per paycheck and not give the government a large 0 interest loan.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
While going through TurboTax, I have a question. My wife and I are filing jointly.

Both my wife and I are involved with a local youth sports organization. Me as a coach, her as a coordinator/office manager type of deal. We don't get W2s, but we got 1099s for our part. $700 for me, a bit over $2000 for her.

Are they supposed to come in as self-employed jobs? Because when I do that, it looks like I'm getting some sort of self-employed credit dinged against me and it lowered my refund by a ton. Is that right?

Pet

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
While going through TurboTax, I have a question. My wife and I are filing jointly.

Both my wife and I are involved with a local youth sports organization. Me as a coach, her as a coordinator/office manager type of deal. We don't get W2s, but we got 1099s for our part. $700 for me, a bit over $2000 for her.

Are they supposed to come in as self-employed jobs? Because when I do that, it looks like I'm getting some sort of self-employed credit dinged against me and it lowered my refund by a ton. Is that right?

If you report the income as other income not subject to self employment, you will not be subject to SE tax, but if you get audited you will have to have substantiation as to why it's not actually a side job.

I can't give you any advice on the determination.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Yes you have to. Sorry.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and i filled jointly and got about a grand in return which is what we expected. Although H&R block wanted me to fork up $25 because of HSA.. is that a new thing? I thought it would be free

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
First time ever filing my own taxes, did it through Credit Karma. Been checking the IRS tracker almost daily for the last 2 weeks waiting for it to move from accepted to approved and today was the day!

My $402 is supposed to be deposited by Wednesday, which is also Payday. Wednesday is gonna be a nice couple hours before the bills get paid.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
First time ever filing my own taxes, did it through Credit Karma. Been checking the IRS tracker almost daily for the last 2 weeks waiting for it to move from accepted to approved and today was the day!

My $402 is supposed to be deposited by Wednesday, which is also Payday. Wednesday is gonna be a nice couple hours before the bills get paid.
IRS has people working Sundays? lol

I also checked since you said you're Credit Karma as well and mine is also to be deposited on Wednesday!!! Hooray!

This was posted last year in this thread and it seems like the same thing is going on this year:
ClearcutTangibleGrub-max-1mb.gif

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
IRS has people working Sundays? lol

I also checked since you said you're Credit Karma as well and mine is also to be deposited on Wednesday!!! Hooray!

This was posted last year in this thread and it seems like the same thing is going on this year:
ClearcutTangibleGrub-max-1mb.gif

I was surprised too! It could've been yesterday. I didn't check since it was a Saturday and figured nothing would be moving on a weekend. I only checked today because I saw this thread. I checked on Friday and it was still just accepted not approved. I'm certainly not going to complain.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017
Something very similar. Now we wait hopefully another week-ish to see when we get our deposit.

The last 2 years we've got ours back around the 21st or 3rd week of the month.

Those who don't claim the child tax credit should be getting there's if not already start to trickle down.
IRS2GO is updated as I just checked. Says they wont release refunds claiming extra child tax credit until mid to late Feb. And check back daily

So yeah from the 15th till the end of the month would be my guess

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I love getting my taxes done.. by someone else. lol
I think I have too many forms and slips and I don't want to think about any of it.
Gladly pay $35 bucks for someone to punch it all in 5-10 minutes.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I love getting my taxes done.. by someone else. lol
I think I have too many forms and slips and I don't want to think about any of it.
Gladly pay $35 bucks for someone to punch it all in 5-10 minutes.
My aunt wasted like $150 paying H+R Block to do hers last week even though I've offered to do it for free annually. Don't know where you'd get it done for $35 in the US unless you mean software.

I like doing taxes. :( I don't do it as part of my everyday accounting job so I like to do it once a year.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
My aunt wasted like $150 paying H+R Block to do hers last week even though I've offered to do it for free annually. Don't know where you'd get it done for $35 in the US unless you mean software.

I like doing taxes. :( I don't do it as part of my everyday accounting job so I like to do it once a year.
I don't know why the US is so expensive! I've heard similar from my friend!

As a Canadian, I have regular income with pension deductions/benefits deductions/professional dues, but also a bunch of dividend/capital gains slips, maybe interest income, charity, student loans interest and let me tell you, I don't feel like I have the energy to find the right boxes to put these things in haha!

My husband has less going on, so his cost was only around $30 compared to my $35. We definitely do go to a small office that often has a long lineup during tax season. The wait is maybe 30 minutes, but the person typing in numbers does it in 5, then we pay and leave with a nice booklet stapled together lol.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why the US is so expensive! I've heard similar from my friend!

As a Canadian, I have regular income with pension deductions/benefits deductions/professional dues, but also a bunch of dividend/capital gains slips, maybe interest income, charity, student loans interest and let me tell you, I don't feel like I have the energy to find the right boxes to put these things in haha!

My husband has less going on, so his cost was only around $30 compared to my $35. We definitely do go to a small office that often has a long lineup during tax season. The wait is maybe 30 minutes, but the person typing in numbers does it in 5, then we pay and leave with a nice booklet stapled together lol.

Are they reliable? Sounds rather easy and affordable tbh. The H+R Block people in offices here I don't trust and any good CPA is $200+.