• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I really hope there is a push to keep things this way. The stores don't need to be open, and black friday can stay black friday.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really strange phenomenon where "going backwards" is actually a good thing. I remember when this was the norm before Black Friday took over the whole month of November.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I havent done BF shopping in stores for over a decade. There literally is no point unless youre really desperate to get some of the shitty doorbusters they offer.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I agree with this. Thanksgiving should be reserved for spending time & eating Thanksgiving dinner together with families &/or friends (& everyone needs a day off). Keep Black Friday strictly for shopping.

Veezy

Oct 27, 2017
This is a good thing, so I don't want to be too negative. However, I'd like to know how many working hours are being lost by this. As in, if somebody normally worked on a Thursday, but now the store is closed, are they getting hours somewhere else or some sort of vacation pay?

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Let the employees spend the day with their families, goodness gracious.

My favorite holiday. <3

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Good. Now don't open on Black Friday until, like, 7 am so people can actually sleep.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Working at Best Buy on Thanksgiving Day was one of the worst experiences of my life. I hope all retail stores follow suit.

straylize

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good thing, so I don't want to be too negative. However, I'd like to know how many working hours are being lost by this. As in, if somebody normally worked on a Thursday, but now the store is closed, are they getting hours somewhere else or some sort of vacation pay?

When I worked retail, I'd work my normal day off and then have the holiday off instead, just effectively a swap. No holiday pay or anything, but no loss of hours, either. Not sure if that's changed in the 10+ years since I last worked retail, but I imagine if they're not offering paid holiday, that's what they're doing.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Good. Every retailer needs to follow. Working Black Friday sucked but at least it I could still have Thanksgiving with my family when I worked retail. Last few years in retail I had to be at the store at like 1pm on Thanksgiving day. Shit was wack.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Working at Best Buy on Thanksgiving Day was one of the worst experiences of my life. I hope all retail stores follow suit.
Likewise. In the beginning, when I had to come in at 2 or 3AM on Black Friday, it was one thing. But once they started to encroach to the point where I was showing up 6PM-9PM on Thanksgiving, I was wanting to attack people.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I pray for the seemingly only six workers at my local Best Buy this holiday. Most of these big stores should be closed on the holidays.

Noctilum

Nov 28, 2017
Just like last year, just because the store is closed doesn't mean we are not working. It's the day before the biggest shopping day. Unless you are a cashier, sales associate, in automotive or the deli your ass is in there unloading trucks and stocking shelves the whole day.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good. I had to work day of black Friday at Walmart and my coworkers who worked that night were zombified

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
I worked at Target from 2002 to 2012. I remember the first year or two opening at like 6am on black Friday then each year it crept up earlier and earlier. I think they last year I was there they were open Thanksgiving and I was pissed lol.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible news.

What are people supposed to do at 7pm on Thanksgiving? Are we just supposed to spend time with our families?

/s

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Horrible news.

What are people supposed to do at 7pm on Thanksgiving? Are we just supposed to spend time with our families?

/s

If by "spending time with our families" you mean getting drunk and fixating hard on the football games so you don't have to talk to any of your relatives - yes!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If by "spending time with our families" you mean getting drunk and fixating hard on the football games so you don't have to talk to any of your relatives - yes!
I am pretty sure that when Jesus and George Washington invented Thanksgiving it was to fill us up with enough food to give us the energy to shop non stop for the next 3 days.

This goes against the spirit of this great holiday by forcing us to spend time with our families.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Really hope this carries into other retailers. GameStop started working Thanksgiving day awhile ago and it's ruined the holiday for me and my mom. We'd spend the morning cooking and then I'd rush off to work without getting to eat dinner with the fam. The pandemic was a nice break from that craziness.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked, but also did Walmart have deals on black Friday last year? I remember they had their month of black Friday, but I don't think there was anything additional on the day itself

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god. A chunk of my family work retail in various roles and this move towards Black Friday turning into a Thanksgiving evening event has ruined our dinners for years now. It was a disgusting practice from the start.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked, but also did Walmart have deals on black Friday last year? I remember they had their month of black Friday, but I don't think there was anything additional on the day itself
As I recall none of them did because they didn't want massive crowds showing up. They started deals early and tried to increase online sales.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Even when I worked retail for Best Buy and Circuit City during my college days, I still had to be up at 3am to be at work by 4am to work 17 hour days during black Friday. That shit really needs to end, especially with online being the better option.