Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Did you even try to understand my post? How is a survivor supposed to respond without bringing up their assault? You're trying to limit it to just the use of an expression, but the issue is the exact same. And I addressed your Ford comparison earlier and you didn't even respond. All I can tell is you've forgotten how that played out and are just conflating two events because they deal with politics and sexual assault.

maybe I failed to understand your post?

as far as I can tell, in both cases someone said that to me, it was a person using survivors as a cudgel in a nakedly self-serving way in order to shut down an important but inconvenient discussion, and without even explaining how I was doing the "trading cards" thing merely by using more than a single reference point (the Reade situation) to analyze how we deal with sexual assault allegations

I'm not sure how that speaks to what you're saying here?

and I'm pretty sure I've missed more than a couple posts throughout the flurry of responses I've made, I'll search for the one you mentioned and respond later if you're still interested in a response

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
as far as I can tell, in both cases someone said that to me, it was a person using survivors as a cudgel in a nakedly self-serving way in order to shut down an important but inconvenient discussion, and without even explaining how I was doing the "trading cards" thing merely by using more than a single reference point (the Reade situation) to analyze how we deal with sexual assault allegations

I'm a survivor. I've mentioned it before. I didn't realise I was only allowed to speak about these things if I put it in every single post I make.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i just never concieved how a credible-ish sexual assault claim would fall through the cracks with VP vetting. not that it's a sacrosanct process (incidentally the VP pick coincided Palin) but if done properly it's an up and down colonoscopy, and in 2008 there was a shit ton to lose

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a survivor. I've mentioned it before. I didn't realise I was only allowed to speak about these things if I put it in every single post I make.

my bad, then

and of course you don't - reading that "someone else" had put it that way, my head jumped to all the not so distant discussions in these threads about not using sexual assault victims as cudgels/letting them speak for themselves as individuals, and I mistakenly assumed you weren't channeling your own feelings

whatever points there are to be made looking back at our responses across both the Reade and Ford situations, rambling on about them incessantly isn't worth the discomfort it might cause, and I'm sorry I was so dismissive of your post

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
I was falsely accused of assault by an ex-girlfriend. Only bypure dumb luck did i have an ironclad alibi. If i had stayed home and watched movies that night I may have been in a lot of trouble. As it is I have jettisonned EVERY friend I had from that period as their view of me is forever tainted. I was always "he's fine (but be wary)" It was exhausting and I couldn't pretend to ignore it.

This is why this is the only time you will see me post in a thread on this subject. I am not an unbiased observer and i feel my views are tainted. I don't know why i decided to reply to your particular post.

But in short. It ruined years of my life and has changed how i interact as I now always try and leave a trail of what and where I am. Staying home with my partner and not having some sort of receipt of my actions leaves me feeling vulnerable and exposed.

Posts like this

Have made me feel compelled to post since thoughts like that are what got me stabbed for something I didn't do.
Thanks for sharing your story. I hope things are going better for you now, with better friends.

My mother told a few serious falsehoods in the past due to mental illness, but I can't imagine how awful it would feel being the direct target of malicious lies.

Oct 27, 2017
i just never concieved how a credible-ish sexual assault claim would fall through the cracks with VP vetting. not that it's a sacrosanct process (incidentally the VP pick coincided Palin) but if done properly it's an up and down colonoscopy, and in 2008 there was a shit ton to lose

I kept going back to this in all of these discussions. It is possible for people to have miss it but how likely would it have been? He had already run for president before so oppo would have been out before 2008. Still, everyone could have missed it but now, with the credibility issues, who knows. What i do know is that her words going forward aren't going to resonate any longer with a larger populous.