• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Cause I may have taken her side for a long while, but this was never about her specifically, as much as it was about a lot of the early bullshit directed at her. Regardless of whether or not any of her story ends up being true in the end, a lot of people were all too quick to dismiss her accusations, for reasons that I still feel were mainly political. And that's wrong, and I wanted to make a clear stance against the bullshit double standard that we should only believe women until it becomes inconvenient to our own causes. Not every woman is telling the truth, but EVERY woman deserves to have their voice heard. That's what #BelieveWomen is actually about, and Tara turning out to be a pathological liar doesn't change that one iota.
I agree. And I hope everyone else does as well.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Tara Reade tweeted out the article update.

Really weak to be corroborating your account with a transcript from the law school... The same law school that she allegedly lied to about the degree in question, that was used to get her into that law school. One would expect her to corroborate her story with, you know, the college she got her degree from....

Also, lying about a degree to get into a school is one thing, but lying under oath about your credentials as an expert witness is some real shit. The option was always open for her to tell the truth in court when questioned, but it looks like she did not do that.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to let you know that (as usual), I agree with all of this. The gist of what I was going for was: "I hope she had additional background that led them to hire her as an expert other than just a BA and JD."

Our points are similar: it doesn't take a degree to be qualified as an expert, and a degree does not necessarily make someone an expert. In many cases, they're related. But not always. (I worked with a few forensic psychologists, although as expert consultants with the possibility of testifying.)
Yeah I get you, and I hope that if she was used as an expert witness then they were using qualifications beyond just a BA and JD. But I wouldnt be surprised if she was used without further qualifications, because prosecutors do that sort of thing often.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Her professional life was built upon lies.

A lot of her actions detailed in this article and in the one with past landlords portray her as someone who embellishes stuff or flat out lies about her credentials, then proceeds to double and triple down when people do actual digging into the facts.

Yes, I have. Is there a point here or are you just implying I'm posting in bad faith? Because if so I think you should knock it off: people can disagree with you on the internet without being bad faith actors.

An easy solution is to stop tossing throwaway comments and discuss the article, like most of us are.

Oct 27, 2017
Tara Reade tweeted out the article update.

If she has a degree, it should be a rather simple process of being able to verify that.

Tweeting out a statement that's already been rendered invalid by the institution is a major red flag and lends further credence to the reporting being correct.

Again, the downplaying and outright dismissal of perjury in this thread and the complete lack of understanding or care of the importance and seriousness of it is downright frightening and so sad.

Jun 20, 2019
A lot of her actions detailed in this article and in the one with past landlords portray her as someone who embellishes stuff or flat out lies about her credentials, then proceeds to double and triple down when people do actual digging into the facts.

An easy solution is to stop tossing throwaway comments and discuss the article, like most of us are.
The first paragraph here is literally a non-sequitor.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really weak to be corroborating your account with a transcript from the law school... The same law school that she allegedly lied to about the degree in question, that was used to get her into that law school. One would expect her to corroborate her story with, you know, the college she got her degree from....

Also, lying about a degree to get into a school is one thing, but lying under oath about your credentials as an expert witness is some real shit. The option was always open for her to tell the truth in court when questioned, but it looks like she did not do that.

Yea, the only way the law school could really corroborate it is by providing the official transcript that was sent to them in the admissions processing showing she had her degree.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What a mess. I'll wait to see the university's follow-up (re: the threadmarked post) but this is looking really sketchy. I hope it's just some bureaucratic misunderstanding due to a name change or something like that. Though all the nonsense about a "protected program" that the university says does not exist, sounds really dubious...

If she lied under oath, her entire credibility is toast. And if it undermines criminal cases (some of which resulted in life sentences), then.... jesus fuck there are no words.

That's old news chum.

This seems to be the most recent info:

www.resetera.com

Tara Reade appears to have lied under oath about her education, defense lawyers seek to get convictions overturned in cases where she testified

Don't do this, please. And I'm saying this as someone who has believed Tara all the way up to this point. (In case my avatar didn't make that clear enough. Thought this rate,, that avatar is almost certainly being removed within the next 24 hours. God, I am so fucking pissed about all of this.)...
Hmm no? The CNN article is from May 19th, the updated article in the OP is today (21st). Check the threadmarks.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Reade may have potentially provided incorrect credentials and committed perjury which could lead to the release of many criminals.

Oh yeah? Joe Biden once read someone else's speech.

We're through the looking glass here.

This story is crazy. I look forward to reading any new developments on this. As someone who transferred colleges myself I can say the process is not always perfect...

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reade may have potentially provided incorrect credentials and committed perjury which could lead to the release of many criminals.

Exactly this. Followed by doubling and tripling down. It's maddening.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
There is a remarkable difference here. Political rally speeches are frequently plagiarized or borrow heavily from others. Melania Trump recited Michelle Obama's speech almost verbatim, and was given shit over it. The speaker rarely writes these speeches, but instead outsources that to a member of their staff. There aren't victims other than perhaps rendering the words less meaningful.

Tara Reade is claimed to have falsified her credentials under oath (illegal, perjury) and that can have very real ramifications on the lives of individuals incarcerated. It's not just sloppy borrowing/plagiarizing a stump speech...it's a crime.
The part that always gets left out here is that the portion taken from Kinnock was a standard part of Biden's stump speech, and he had at several other times properly cited Kinnock when delivering the speech. Not doing so that time was obviously wrong, but probably falls more into Biden's issues with speaking and memory than outright malice.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this. Followed by doubling and tripling down. It's maddening.

I use the ignore button with great flourish as of late.

Also there's someone in this thread who comes straight out and says Joe Biden knowingly lied about his wife and child's death for political gain and that post is still up. I don't get how that isn't bannable.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But if it was a lie, why would she say that she's telling the truth, especially when it shouldn't be that hard to investigate this ?

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, the only way the law school could really corroborate it is by providing the official transcript that was sent to them in the admissions processing showing she had her degree.
As an attorney myself I'm interested to see if anything comes of that. I just checked my emails from a few years ago and I had to have my undergrad send an official copy of my transcript directly to my law school as part of the admissions process (cost me $9, smh.) Presumably she would have had to do the same, though obviously a long time ago.

Funny enough, I'm not sure I had to send an official copy of my transcript to the bar; I think they basically just relied on the law school. I'm in PA, so obviously could be different in other states.

Jun 20, 2019

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017

This story is crazy. I look forward to reading any new developments on this. As someone who transferred colleges myself I can say the process is not always perfect...
Its even more annoying because the article itself doesnt have anything to do with Biden. Its about how her perjury could lead to 20 cases being thrown out.

20 victims could have there abusers let out, or a innocent person could have been put in by her actions.

And yet tons these posters don't care about that. They just want to make it about Biden and ignore she may have dramatically damaged tons of victims. Disgusting

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to know why CNN did not mention the Seattle U transcript.

No, you didn't.

They said she attended. You're making shit up. Lying, you might say.

A pathological liar? Is that what you want to say about a victim of spousal abuse?

Did Joe Biden plagiarize a speech during his 88 presidential run?

I mean, as long as we're bringing up unrelated insinuations of being a liar.

Jun 20, 2019
As an attorney myself I'm interested to see if anything comes of that. I just checked my emails from a few years ago and I had to have my undergrad send an official copy of my transcript directly to my law school as part of the admissions process (cost me $9, smh.) Presumably she would have had to do the same, though obviously a long time ago.
The process in late 90's/early 2000's was the same, at least at the schools I am familiar with.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But if it was a lie, why would she say that she's telling the truth, especially when it shouldn't be that hard to investigate this ?

Looking at Antioch's Student Records (FERPA) policy, I believe she should have to give consent to release information publicly that she was awarded her degree.

An interesting thing here is in regards to the defense lawyers and her admission as an expert witness -- those records could also be released if the school was subpoenaed for them -- which I imagine either an aggrieved defense attorney or an angry court would do.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
There is no name mix-up. The University knows who she says. They confirmed that she attended the university and also confirmed that she provided several hours of administrative work for them. They've flat-out said that they have no records of her having graduated or of her having worked there as a professor. So she's blatantly lied on two separate fronts about her history with that university.

Jun 20, 2019
Because she didn't have a transcript. The quote said she supplied an unofficial transcript of the course work she completed before her name change.

Which is exactly what the university is saying. She attended. Took courses. But didn't graduate.
No, it says she provided an unofficial record of her degree qualifications from Seattle U.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is why it is important to take accusations seriously but not condemn the accused without a proper investigation.
People are always just way too quick to "choose sides" and defend them unconditionally, people are still doing that in this thread despite all of the recent stuff about the accusation

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not literally meaningless to present the subject of the article's own claims.

This is the claim we are talking about: "Antioch University did not grant Tara Reade a degree as she claims"

Antioch University itself has said to CNN that is not true. It doesn't matter what Seattle University said, as they are a third party -- not the granting institution, Antioch University.

NYT article about the story, Antioch continues to deny Tara Reade graduated
May 9, 2018
New article by NYTimes:

www.nytimes.com

Tara Reade Is Dropped as Client by a Leading #MeToo Lawyer (Published 2020)

The lawyer’s departure came after concerns over the expert witness credentials of Ms. Reade, who has accused Joe Biden of sexual assault.

But an Antioch spokeswoman, Karen Hamilton, told The Times that while Ms. Reade had attended classes, she was certain Ms. Reade had not received a degree.

In her testimony in the 2018 trial, Ms. Reade was questioned about her degree by Mr. Soltesz. She testified that she received a liberal arts degree, as was stated on her résumé provided by the district attorney's office. "The focus was political science," she said, according to a trial transcript.

Ms. Reade also told the court that she was currently a substitute teacher but had worked in domestic violence prevention for more than two decades and testified in more than 20 cases. Her career began, she said, in Mr. Biden's office.
"I was a legislative assistant," she said, according to the testimony. "He worked on the Violence Against Women Act, the federal act."

Staff lists published in 1993 show Ms. Reade listed as a staff assistant, a different position from the legislative assistant job she cited in her testimony. Both titles are common in congressional offices, with legislative assistant indicating a slightly more senior post that involves working on policy. In multiple interviews, Ms. Reade described her duties as managing the interns, never mentioning any direct work on the Violence Against Women Act.

In an interview, Mr. Soltesz described Ms. Reade as "well spoken" and "a good witness on the stand," and said he was impressed by her experience with Mr. Biden.

But both Mr. Soltesz and Scott Erdbacher, the lawyer for Ms. Vasquez, raised objections to Ms. Reade's testimony, according to the transcript, saying they were skeptical that her work experience qualified her as an expert. The judge overruled them.

Ms. Reade maintains that she has an undergraduate degree, saying the school has no record of her graduating because of special arrangements put in place to protect her from her ex-husband. She sent The Times a screenshot of a transcript showing her with 35 course credits, her department as "BA Completion" and nothing listed under "date conferred" or "degree conferred." According to the photo, she entered school on Oct. 2, 2000.

Even if Ms. Reade was not found to have perjured herself, exaggerating qualifications as an expert witness could be grounds for reversal of a verdict.

"An expert can only testify in certain circumstances," said Mark J. Reichel, a criminal defense lawyer based in Sacramento who formerly worked as a federal public defender. "One of them is that they have expertise above the regular person. The jury is entitled to hear your qualifications."

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
She also lied about her role in Joe Biden's office. Said she was a legislative assistant (who helped draft the Violence Against Women Act) when she was actually a staff assistant.