• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
People saying Lady gaga and Ariana have no talent lmao. The real answer though is people that make video game soundtracks. Most of them are super talented musicians making wack shit for man babies.

Oct 27, 2017
Have you listened to Thank U, Next? Would not call it formuliac, and her singing it is outstanding

Man, so many people in this thread thinks pop music = untalented. You gotta be kidding me...for Gaga especially, she's A) got an amazing voice and B) puts on amazing live shows. Just watch her superbowl halftime show

Thank U, Next is the best thing Grande's done. I can't say that I'm a big fan of the rest of her work. However, I'll agree with you that the mentions of Gaga here are crazy. Her albums aren't even close to "shitty."

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
You have a shocking lack of awareness to passive aggressively tell someone "you're the only person who thinks that Lady Gaga has talent".

There are Lady Gaga fans, people who casually like Lady Gaga, people who dislike her music but recognize her talent, and then people who thinks she isn't even talented. The latter group is the smallest by an insanely large margin.

I think you've badly misinterpreted what that poster said. They were responding to someone who said Lady Gaga has no talent.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
It's not bad but it doesn't feel like a Daft Punk album if you know what I mean. They should go back to their roots imo.
Fair enough, I only really started listening to DP a few years before that, but I can understand where RAM differentiated. I just wish we'd get anything at this point, its wild that its almost been 8 years since RAM...

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Thank U, Next is the best thing Grande's done. I can't say that I'm a big fan of the rest of her work. However, I'll agree with you that the mentions of Gaga here are crazy. Her albums aren't even close to "shitty."

Yeah same, I honestly dont love Positions or Sweetener, but Thank U, Next clearrrrrly is on a different level. And album cuts like NASA and Ghosting are in no way 'comittee pop' or whatever. People just dont like pop

Also to not even recognize that Gaga is an iconic dancer??? Or that she's directed music videos????? Or her award winning turns in TV and movies??? Like come on people

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Most of Shakira's post-FijaciĂłn Oral stuff tbh. I mean some of her later songs are catchy but her earlier stuff is just more creative lyrically and musically. Her English lyrics also usually pale in comparison to her Spanish ones.

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I'd also say Smashing Pumpkins. Their first 3/4 albums range from amazing to GOAT tier, their output since the 90's ranges from meh to straight up yikes. Although I did like Oceania a fair bit. Billy Corgan has incredible guitar playing and songwriting chops and Jimmy Chamberlin is one of the greatest rock drummers ever but by god you wouldn't guess either from the last album especially.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I misunderstood that post as saying "TLOP was Kanye's last good album" and mostly agreed with it. There are a few bad tracks and some really fucking awful lines on TLOP but I also genuinely love some of the stuff on there. Some of my favorite Kanye tracks were on TLOP.

I hate everything he has released since.

You have a shocking lack of awareness to passive aggressively tell someone "you're the only person who thinks that Lady Gaga has talent".

There are Lady Gaga fans, people who casually like Lady Gaga, people who dislike her music but recognize her talent, and then people who thinks she isn't even talented. The latter group is the smallest by an insanely large margin.

I didn't mean to say this person is the only person on the planet who thinks Lady Gaga has no talent. But in this thread? It looks that way, unless someone has joined them and I missed it. Like you said, it's a very contrarian opinion to say the least.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I didn't mean to say this person is the only person on the planet who thinks Lady Gaga has no talent. But in this thread? It looks that way, unless someone has joined them and I missed it. Like you said, it's a very contrarian opinion to say the least.
Oh I'm an idiot and quoted the wrong person. I'm sorry, I genuinely read this as you being rude to someone for suggesting that Lady Gaga has talent.

100% my stupid fault.

Oct 27, 2017
Daft Punk. They used to be a edm group but sold out.
"Sold out" is a terrible choice of words here, since "selling out" would imply that they just churned out the same album over and-- wait...
It's not bad but it doesn't feel like a Daft Punk album if you know what I mean. They should go back to their roots imo.
Okay, but you realize that NONE of their albums sound a like or in the same genre, by design, right? Homework is Acid House. Discovery is Filter House. Human After All is Experimental (boarding Noise in places). Read Only Memories is a 70s inspired Disco/Soul album. They make nostalgia-based music in genres that are kinda-sorta past their "prime." There are no roots to go back to unless you want to start tracking down the names used in Teachers or the source of their samples (which I would highly recommend).

Honestly, I'm really glad they've resisted making a Discovery 2. I'm sure it would sell, but it would sound exactly like all it's other imitators.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
To all those saying John Mayer have you seen him play with Dead and Company? He's doing great stuff there while still making the millions with pop music.

I assumed we were just talking about his solo records compared to the raw talent he exudes when playing with Dead & Co.

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I think expecting musicians going into their 40s or 50s to still have the energy and passion they had in their twenties just leads to disappointment.

I could reel of a huge list of bands who were great at the start of their careers but who lose what they had, because it's just how things go as you get older.

Nas is a good shout, because Illmatic was so good and he never matched it.

I've seen John Frusciante mentioned, but I'll take his solo stuff over what Chili Peppers are now. Maybe their next album will go back to their 90s heyday, but with Kiedis who he is now I can't see it. And to be honest why would they be reeling out the same stuff they did 20-30 years ago when they were in their twenties?

I've not felt that Radiohead have the same spark anymore that Thom Yorke's solo stuff has had. There's not much 'bite' there anymore.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Shit like Bruno Mars fits that for me. He's incredibly talented in multiple ways but the music just does nothing for me, although I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it shitty.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
John Mayer for the most part. Very talented guitarist, music catalogue is almost entirely awful.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Shit like Bruno Mars fits that for me. He's incredibly talented in multiple ways but the music just does nothing for me, although I don't know if I'd go as far as to call it shitty.
I really didn't like Bruno Mars's music until his latest album. Aside from a few flashes of retro-inspired brilliance (which would go on to inform 24K Magic), he was stuck making some pretty boring pop. He's definitely found his stride since then IMO.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
robert downey jr

rvxvzBU.png

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
also, Ed Sheeran. he is a prolific songwriter and he also can rap well. tbh i'm impressed that he became so popular by his efforts only (he never resorted to other writers) and probably he wrote shape of you in like, 10 minutes. he's in fact a awesome songwriter. doesn't have the best voice but he makes up for it. but Ed, why do you make shitty pop songs now? :(
Ed Sheeran's music is mostly great. Shape of You is an exception that I believe he wrote for another artist at first and things fell apart and he thought it would do well as a single. It's unfortunate that it's the most popular song from Divide because both Castle on the Hill and Perfect (the other two singles) are fantastic

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Asia the thread ?

(I own some of their records but only for the Roger Dean artwork)
I think Payne-fronted Asia was miles better than the original supergroup. Their first few albums were largely safe arena rock, but they went in a much more interesting direction during the 90s and 2000s, especially on the Aura album. You could tell when the original lineup reformed that it was just a completely different band at that point; it was disappointing seeing that Phoenix was just a follow-up to Astra.

That album artwork, though. Every album is one piece of hot eye candy after another.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Jared Leto. Great actor and movies but his band (30 second to Mars) fucking suuuuucks like big time.

Radiohead. I consider Thom York and Jonny Greenwood to be literal musical geniuses, but they have their own self important head so up in their pretentious asses to do good stuff l. I'm talking of Radiohead only.

Pop stuff such as Ariana Grande, Gaga, Swift, Bieber etc is neither good nor talented, such garbage music although popular sadly EDIT: and I have no desire to debate this point in particular with its fans (that's why I don't quote anyone) , want to talk interesting music? Feel free to @me .

Last edited: