Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I wish I could do the bachi roll. It looks fun in videos. No idea how people do all that kind of stuff.

This might be helpful for learning those more advanced techniques. I've been playing with buttons since PS2, so I'm too stubborn to learn how to use the drum controller. Though honestly tempted to get one with so many people praising the build quality of the Switch one.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
This might be helpful for learning those more advanced techniques. I've been playing with buttons since PS2, so I'm too stubborn to learn how to use the drum controller. Though honestly tempted to get one with so many people praising the build quality of the Switch one.
Thanks. There was some useful stuff in there.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the track list is right there and I read it before buying, but I'm sad there's no frozen or old Mario medley here

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Is it possible that the latency and timing adjustments you can make in settings don't apply to the minigame mode? I got things set up nicely for playing songs but the minigames are still basically unplayable and nothing I try helps. They all want inputs so early they're completely off rhythm. I'm getting pretty frustrated. Playing with the drum.

Octagon

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
I hope that i will be able to ajust my setting, so the lag from the drum won't bother me as much.
I tried yesterday with the menu but couldn't find a satisfactory solution.
Taiko no Tatsujin is really a heartwarming game, got out of touch after the PS2 era - the only thing i remember is that lagging drum input wasn't an issue back then.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that i will be able to ajust my setting, so the lag from the drum won't bother me as much.
I tried yesterday with the menu but couldn't find a satisfactory solution.
Taiko no Tatsujin is really a heartwarming game, got out of touch after the PS2 era - the only thing i remember is that lagging drum input wasn't an issue back then.
You probably had a crt tv in the PS2 era, so no video lag. To fix lag on my Switch setup with the drum, I had to set my tv to game mode, and then use the Switch headphone jack for audio (my sound bar added its own lag so I had to bypass it). That gave me perfect lag-free drumming. Note though I specifically bought a TV with some of the lowest video latency available in game mode.

Octagon

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
You probably had a crt tv in the PS2 era, so no video lag. To fix lag on my Switch setup with the drum, I had to set my tv to game mode, and then use the Switch headphone jack for audio (my sound bar added its own lag so I had to bypass it). That gave me perfect lag-free drumming. Note though I specifically bought a TV with some of the lowest video latency available in game mode.

Thanks for the help. At least with headphones the game works much better.
I still miss the sensitivity of the PS2 drums.
Hitting the blue notes takes some time getting used to using the Switch Tatacon.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the Switch version but for the PS4 version I managed to fix the lag with the lag settings, I did have to dial it quite a bit back (I think I'm on -23) but it solved it completely.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Any longer impressions of Joycon play? I'm really tempted to get the drums but I have a history of abandoning the hardware after a play or two (flashbacks to Samba de Amigo)

EDIT: sorry, i guess i should try for myself by creating a JP account

Deleted member 4198

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like playing in handheld mode has much shorter load times than on TV with the drum - is this just my imagination or does anyone here experience this too?

pant pisser

May 7, 2018
Just got my drum finally. Play asia was out of eshop cards so to get the game I had to navigate the awful UX maze that is pretending to be from japan on amazon.jp.
Do the physical versions of the game come with any extra dlc packs like they did on ps4? Also, is there no ghost player "online" play stuff in this? I liked playing ranked or competing against the last song my friends played on ps4.
Also these loading times...wow

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Just got my drum finally. Play asia was out of eshop cards so to get the game I had to navigate the awful UX maze that is pretending to be from japan on amazon.jp.
Do the physical versions of the game come with any extra dlc packs like they did on ps4? Also, is there no ghost player "online" play stuff in this? I liked playing ranked or competing against the last song my friends played on ps4.
Also these loading times...wow

1st press editions both physical and digital come with a code for the Gold Don-chan character. Otherwise, there was an exclusive pre-order song from like 9 different stores, expect these as DLC in the future. Don't forget to get your free Shinkalion E5 Hayabusa character from the Eshop (which comes with the theme song "Shinka Riron"), which is only free until september 1st.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Had the drum for an evening now and found the sticks were taking some damage.
qNL37Jil.jpg
I have spares so not too fussed, but never had a pair of sticks go like this in just 2-3 hours of use before. D :

Update
I spoke with amazon.jp customer support this morning and was offered a full refund without having to return the drum! I guess this means I should now order a second set for some multiplayer shenanigans. : D

I'm using the sticks from my old namco and hori pro set as replacements, but I'm thinking about investing in a wooden pair, would these be ideal?

Last edited:

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Finally the patch :D

Ok there was a song that actually said Youtubuuu Youtubuuu, i was not crazy then

Last edited:

rpmurphy

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Studio Ghibli song pack is now available on the eShop for 540yen.
Thanks, bought!

Songs:
Carrying You (Kimi wo Nosete) from Castle in the Sky -- 2/3/4/6
My Neighbor Totoro Ending Theme Song -- 2/3/1/5
Rouge no Dengon from Kiki's Delivery Service -- 3/3/4/7
A Town with an Ocean View (Umi no Mieru Machi) from Kiki's Delivery Service -- 1/2/4/6
Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea -- 1/2/1/2

Also the patch did noticeably improve the load times. Loading and restarting songs now don't take so long that you could eat a half sandwich in that time.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I had forgotten about the English patch, and didn't notice when the patch was installed. So imagine my surprise when I went to play last night and the game was in English! It seems so weird for most things to be in English, considering I've only played the Japanese arcade version and this Switch version.

I bought the Studio Ghibli DLC pack, now they need to add a video-game song DLC pack; the arcade game I've played, Taiko no Tatsujin 9, has some great game music (Zelda, Super Mario Bros., OutRun, iDOLM@STER)) , but I'm not really liking any of the game music in this one except Kirby.

Last edited:

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
Just like the song says, "I don't want to work, I want to bang on the drum all day." The English patch is great! I was curious if the subtitle of the game would change to "Drum N' Fun" in English to match the upcoming Western release but no, it's still "Nintendo Switch Version." Now I wonder if the JP release and the Western release will be considered separate SKUs.

I bought (and enjoyed!) the Ghibli DLC, and I assume that all the pre-order bonus classical songs will eventually be available to purchase. I wonder what's next? There's definitely enough Nintendo songs from the various arcade versions that they could release a Nintendo pack; that seems like a no-brainer. I'd love more songs from Pac-Man Championship Edtion 2, because that soundtrack is awesome. And if they have any more Touhou Project remixes I'll take those too!

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
So what's the general consensus on the Hori Taiko drums? It's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the full game since I didn't like the motion controls.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the general consensus on the Hori Taiko drums? It's the only thing that's keeping me from buying the full game since I didn't like the motion controls.
They are good and better than the PS4 ones which had some issues. I havent seen anyone post any complaints about them yet, and they score well on Amazon too.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017

The Hori Switch drum is a great improvement over previous controllers (with the exception of the pro) and other then some issues I had with the durability of the sticks, I have no complaints.

Oh, and definitely order through amazon Japan, customer support is even in English if you have any sort of problem.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
They are good and better than the PS4 ones which had some issues. I havent seen anyone post any complaints about them yet, and they score well on Amazon too.

The Hori Switch drum is a great improvement over previous controllers (with the exception of the pro) and other then some issues I had with the durability of the sticks, I have no complaints.

Oh, and definitely order through amazon Japan, customer support is even in English if you have any sort of problem.

Thanks! Off to buy one, then.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
They're selling the Southeast Asian version here. Will the tracklist differ from the Japanese version and will the Japanese DLC work?

UPDATE: Downloaded the DLC from the Japanese eShop and it worked. Asian version is basically the Japanese version... just slightly cheaper.

Last edited:

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, this looks really fun! I kinda really want to play it (with drums), but should I wait for the NA release? Question, if the US misses out on JP exclusive DLC, do they typically get substitute songs, or nothing?

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
I've used the Hori taiko drums for about 5 hours now and I'm really liking it. My only complaint would be that it's a bit too loud when struck, since my brother in the adjacent room could still hear it.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Omfg I'm trying to download the update but I keep getting that stupid error code 2005-0003

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
just received my bachi from proxy, they feel amazing. I cant wait to try them.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't realize you can't use US credit card on the Japanese eshop. Found this weird since I did it on the 3DS.

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
Didn't realize you can't use US credit card on the Japanese eshop. Found this weird since I did it on the 3DS.

I thought it was weird at first too, but you can add money on your 3DS and just merge your balances (which you only have to do once). That's what I do. So every time I add money on my 3ds I can use it on my switch. The only bad part is you can only add a specific set amount I believe 500, 1,000, 3,000, and 5,000 yen. Instead of an amount of your choosing. Also, buying digital games from Amazon.co.jp (especially if you have a Japanese address to use from a proxy service) is a good option since they have them for lower prices than retail.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So is the English Patch automatic? I don't see anything in the eShop for it. Just imported it from Amazon Japan and wanted to make sure it's easy enough to access.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
It seems it falls back to English if not set to Japanese explicitly. My switch is set to German and the game switched to English after the patch. Will be interesting to see if there is a translation for every european country when this hits Europe.