• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would impress you more 20yrs ago?

• Switch

Votes: 788 58.6%
  • PS4 Pro

Votes: 556 41.4%

• Total voters

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
For me it would be switch. I've always wanted a truly portable console. It's been a dream of mine for 25+ years. Seamlessly move between couch and portable play. The boundaries are gone. If I had seen it 20 years ago my jaw would still be working its way off the floor.

Turboexpress portable was 1989. Transfer game cards from the home console to portable to play on the go.

Psp 2000 was 2007. Supported AV out to television to play games on screen or on tv.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
To be fair, in 1999, even PS3/360 graphics would have blown me away, so definitely the Switch. PS4 Pro would just be more of the same astounding graphics, but the Switch would be impressive and portable

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Switch because if I heard a PS4 Pro, I'd be confused as to why a console makes noise.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Obviously Pro. I'm also assuming PSVR games are included in this? VR blows my mind now. 20 years ago me trying PSVR...my brain would have exploded.

VR obviously would change the entire narrative. I think OP means the PS4 pro on a flat screen just for the graphics, since there's mention of the tv and all...

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3D HD Red/Blue remakes and an open world Zelda on the go the year after Red/Blue and OoT release? Switch, easily.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We had the Gameboy twenty years ago. The switch would be far more impressive to me.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the Switch. Both would've blown my mind and clearly the PS4 Pro would be more visually impressive, but as someone who primarily played on a Gameboy as a kid seeing what the Switch could do would've made me lose my shit.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's weird that OP chose that lol, wonder why..

Because then you'd have this situation when you take out the xbox

maxresdefault.jpg

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
If the kindly time traveller waited until Death Stranding or The Last Of Us Part Two's release and bring those back alongside PSVR and AstroBot, that's the full recipe for holy shit wat. Such titles feel absurd even for now-times, let alone two decades back.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Turboexpress portable was 1989. Transfer game cards from the home console to portable to play on the go.

Psp 2000 was 2007. Supported AV out to television to play games on screen or on tv.
For me, it's the miniaturization of tech that always been more impressive than conventional tech. I would've expected PS4 level stuff. It's a conventional leap for two decades.

The Turbo Express wasn't too impressive since it had an older 8bit CPU.

The PSP was hella impressive, though.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The PS4 Pro and Horizon Zero Dawn. I' would've been blown away by the visuals and the open world. I mean, I was two years ago when it released, lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Switch without a doubt. In 1999 me's eyes, who considered Dreamcast visuals unbelievably good, both consoles' visuals would be nearly the same (i.e. straight up sorcery), but the Switch is freaking portable on top.

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good question, but I think both would be equally mind-blowing. PS4 has games like RDR2 which are a marvel to look at now, let alone 1999. And a game like Breath of the Wild running in portable mode next to a Game Boy Color? It'd be unfathomable. But there's also PSVR and that's an entirely different game changer. I'm completely blown away by every VR headset I've used (aside from bad comfort issues), and I can't imagine how someone would react to PSVR in 1999.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nintendo just had a habit of becoming complacent with dominance in the handheld sector and releasing outdated hardware because they knew they could get away with it.
I think that's a pretty bad read on their handheld strategy. Nintendo selling Game Boys for $90 that didn't require 6 AA batteries for 3 hours of play is a pretty huge reason why they were so dominant in that space in the 90s.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
For me, it's the miniaturization of tech that always been more impressive than conventional tech. I would've expected PS4 level stuff. It's a conventional leap for two decades.

The Turbo Express wasn't too impressive since it had an older 8bit CPU.

The PSP was hella impressive, though.

As a guy who was around when the turboexpress released, that thing seemed like bizarro future tech.

The turbografx despite technically being 8 bit was a LOT closer to the genesis than the NES. it was absolutely next gen hardware.

The turboexpress let you take those next gen games and walk around with it on the go, and when you got bored you could pop in a tv tuner and watch football, cartoons, whatever.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch would be easier to showcase since it's portable, I guess.

Plus it'd be easier to do the "how-far-games-have-come-since"-angle with known properties like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and blow their minds with Crash Bandicoot on Switch :v

Also show Bayonetta in Smash, they all be like :O

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But then play Botw on switch. That would possibly change your mind.

I did and it didn't. Horizon Zero Dawn might not be an as great and polished game as BotW, but I prefer its visuals vastly.

Though to be fair, back then I was a huge Zelda fan, and I would've played Ocarina of Time last, BotW would have certainly also excited me, visually and in terms of how vast and open its world is, and being a Zelda.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
You could replace the PS4 pro power cable in the past but not the switch usb cable so PS4 wins obviously.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
As a guy who was around when the turboexpress released, that thing seemed like bizarro future tech.

The turbografx despite technically being 8 bit was a LOT closer to the genesis than the NES. it was absolutely next gen hardware.

The turboexpress let you take those next gen games and walk around with it on the go, and when you got bored you could pop in a tv tuner and watch football, cartoons, whatever.
Yeah, but I saw it mostly as a colorful GameBoy personally. Not too impressed. I could see it being capable at the time. Lynx wasn't a slouch either.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think that's a pretty bad read on their handheld strategy. Nintendo selling Game Boys for $90 that didn't require 6 AA batteries for 3 hours of play is a pretty huge reason why they were so dominant in that space in the 90s.

Rechargeable packs existed for all of those. Battery life wasnt a big issue (except for the nomad...that thing was literally a genesis).

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
My suspicion is that the jump in graphics would be so big for both consoles compared to what was available then that Switch's graphical impact wouldn't be that different from PS4 Pro's. The added portability compared to the Game Boy Color at the time would potentially be mind-blowing, though.

Then again, the highs on PS4/XB1 this gen are really high, so maybe that would indeed make a difference.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Still not impressed!

And op clarified. There's no PSVR included. Reconsider your vote?

Reconsidered. The ps4 is still much better hardware for the reasons mentioned.

Edit: i assume in addition to psvr, we're also ignoring the blu ray, Netflix, and ps vue abilities of the ps4?

Last edited:

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Rechargeable packs existed for all of those. Battery life wasnt a big issue (except for the nomad...that thing was literally a genesis).

Battery life was 100% an issue with the Lynx and Game Gear back then, to the extent that a lot of people didn't consider them a viable alternative to the Gameboy. If I remember correctly, rechargeable packs lasted even less than actual batteries.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reconsidered. The ps4 is still much better hardware for the reasons mentioned.
Did you not even realize we were talking about the pro? Base ps4 is not even in contention.

But the graphics are close enough when viewing it twenty years ago that the Switch is vastly more impressive with it being portable AND a home console. The switching is really impressive too. Not just about the graphics, although to me, twenty years ago they would be close enough. Remember, there's no digital Foundry to count pixels for you.