• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Personally not my thing, and to be honest, of all 20 friend who I play Smash with and geek out over Nintendo with, we all have the same opinion on Splatoon.

Boring lame game that's fun but extremely basic and we wish Nintendo wouldn't focus so much on.

It's just weird to me seeing the love Splatoon gets online and in Japan when I literally never met anyone in real life who likes Nintendo that is actively excited with the franchise.

I'm one of those old guard Nintendo gamers who don't get Splatoon. From what I can see, Splatoon's fanbase are in their teens/20s, so kids who grew up on Wii/DS and GameCube. Different generation.

I don't begrudge it at all, bigger tent is always good. And there's no evidence Nintendo's focus on splatoon is affecting anything. The game's lead designer is among the crop of young developers at Nintendo. Aonuma, or Koizumi isn't being asked to contribute and Miyamoto is virtually retired from game development at this point.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Personally not my thing, and to be honest, of all 20 friend who I play Smash with and geek out over Nintendo with, we all have the same opinion on Splatoon.

Boring lame game that's fun but extremely basic and we wish Nintendo wouldn't focus so much on.

It's just weird to me seeing the love Splatoon gets online and in Japan when I literally never met anyone in real life who likes Nintendo that is actively excited with the franchise.

The ink alone has more depth that anything you could find in other shooters. It is used to shoot you enemy, hide, speed up/slow down your movements, recharge your weapon...

And on this deep gameplay feature is built a 4vs4 TPS with the strategy it involves.

If you think it is basic, you only scratched the surface.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome job, at this rate they will surpass PS4 in their first 2 years lol

But 4 out of those 5 titles are from 2017, 2018 has been very lack luster

4 of those titles had plenty of time to reach those numbers with their legs even if their debut also was high and Aces is in the top 10. Pokémon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate will surpass Kirby too since both are bigger.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
3DS was much cheaper after a few months from launch and had a better third party support; also, it was coming off the DS, which was the biggest thing in Japan back then.

Nevertheless, Switch is selling greatly and on par with PS2 launch aligned. It still has a high price for being also a handheld platform targeted towards kids.

Top seller are selling a lot because of their quality and also because there are fewer retail games overall so sales tend to concentrate around them. This was also happening on 3DS, where there were few games between 500k and 1m but plenty of million sellers.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Awesome job, at this rate they will surpass PS4 in their first 2 years lol

But 4 out of those 5 titles are from 2017, 2018 has been very lack luster
All four of those 2017 games have literally never left the top 20 software chart. Especially amazing for Breath of the Wild, which has been a weekly best seller every week for the last 18 months, despite Zelda historically not being anywhere near that leggy.

Point is that 2017 games have had much longer to grow in sales than 2018 games. By the end of this year, the top 10 should be pretty much half-and-half 2017 and 2018 games. Aces is already there, and will be joined with Pokemon, Smash, and Yokai Watch 4.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

Only three franchises could beat Splatoon 2 this gen. Pokemon, Animal Crossing and 2D Mario. It is going to sell 4m+ like it is nothing whereas Smash never crossed 3m.

You both realise that Smash in Japan had always been hindered by the hardware it was on to reach full sales potential right?

Smash's attach rate in Japan is abnormaly high (even higher than Splatoon's in both the N64 and GC days). Wii U was an anomaly due to the game beeing available on the 3DS (and even then it still went on to sell over 2.6 million units combined despite the 3DS proving to be a rather poor fit for Smash).

I'm expecting a launch week over 1 million for Smash and lifetime sales over 3.5 million. It will be interesting to see how much Smash is going to eat into Splatoon's sales (or if they feed off of each other and propel both franchises in the Animal Crossing zone)

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
You both realise that Smash in Japan had always been hindered by the hardware it was on to reach full sales potential right?

Smash's attach rate in Japan is abnormaly high (even higher than Splatoon's in both the N64 and GC days). Wii U was an anomaly due to the game beeing available on the 3DS (and even then it still went on to sell over 2.6 million units combined despite the 3DS proving to be a rather poor fit for Smash).

I'm expecting a launch week over 1 million for Smash and lifetime sales over 3.5 million. It will be interesting to see how much Smash is going to eat into Splatoon's sales (or if they feed off of each other and propel both franchises in the Animal Crossing zone)

Yes we do but so was Splatoon and it still manage to outsell SSB, Melee and 4 WiiU even though the N64 and the GC outsold the WiiU.

3.5m+ is doable for Smash yes but Splatoon 2 will be in the 4.5m+ range.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. in the thread everyone was saying 2 weeks until it reached this but it didnt even need that

Mediacreate is still 2 weeks off which probably why everyone said 2 weeks off =)

You say it's boring and lame as well as fun in the very same sentence :P
And of all things Splatoon 2 is... basic is not one of them.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
It's not hard to see why Splatoon is a big success in Japan. Aesthetically it has huge appeal, with the cute squids, the ability to customize their fashion with hairstyles and "Brand-name" gear, pop idols, an eclectic soundtrack, bright bubblegum colors, etc. It exudes the image of "Cool Japan" without it seeming force, and it's also more obviously family-friendly than most shooters. Gameplay-wise, it allows people to contribute without necessarily getting huge kill counts, and the mechanics are simple to understand but difficult to master. The motion controls are more intuitive for newbies and young gamers than dual analog, and since it's a Nintendo game, it's actually on a platform that people in Japan play.

Colossal Moo

Jan 13, 2018
Total sales of Switch hardware in Japan have surpassed five million units as of September 2 with a total of 5,007,368 units sold since its March 3, 2017 launch, according to Famitsu sales data.

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/switch-sales-top-five-million-in-japan#t1kdQeiacZG7iwWt.99

The Switch is a huge hit in Japan and a successor to the PS2, DS & 3DS. Since the launch of the PS2, these are the only systems which have sold more than 20 million units in Japan and are the only systems which appear to have broad appeal.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes we do but so was Splatoon and it still manage to outsell SSB, Melee and 4 WiiU even though the N64 and the GC outsold the WiiU.

3.5m+ is doable for Smash yes but Splatoon 2 will be in the 4.5m+ range.
No it didn't

SSB N64, Melee and BRawl all outsold it

It only Outsold Smash 4 if you don't combine the WiiU and 3DS releases (talking about the first Splatoon here, Splatoon 2 is propelled by the Switch hardware itself to heights not foreseen, we shall see if Smash will get the same treatment (and I have the feeling it definitely will))

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
The pace of hardware sales is incredible. I hope Nintendo has plans to sustain it heading into year 3.

Oct 25, 2017
Japan may be up to something but I have now verified with over 30 GameStop locations nationwide in the US. Their system shows that Splatoon 2 is poop. Every store manager I've spoken to has said there is absolutely no precedent for Splatoon 2 to be good.

The unanimous consensus from every GameStop employee is that unless you like a boring lame game that's fun but extremely basic, don't believe any claim that Splatoon 2 is worth marketing. Full Stop.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think it has a chance of overtaking it but it depends on whether they have enough hardware available.

Think they've been cranking them out over the summer, haven't they? I'm expecting a big global push, to be honest. Lot of people might be down on Pokemon but for the majority of people I can see this being a hit.

And Smash is Smash.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
No it didn't

SSB N64, Melee and BRawl all outsold it

It only Outsold Smash 4 if you don't combine the WiiU and 3DS releases (talking about the first Splatoon here, Splatoon 2 is propelled by the Switch hardware itself to heights not foreseen, we shall see if Smash will get the same treatment (and I have the feeling it definitely will))

Famitsu numbers :

Code:
[WIU]    Splatoon    156.610  /  1.679.880

Code:
[N64] Super Smash Bros.            183.097 / 1.632.046
[NGC] Super Smash Bros. Melee      357.101 / 1.349.418
[WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U  244.747 / 789.947

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu numbers :

Code:
[WIU]    Splatoon    156.610  /  1.679.880

Code:
[N64] Super Smash Bros.            183.097 / 1.632.046
[NGC] Super Smash Bros. Melee      357.101 / 1.349.418
[WIU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U  244.747 / 789.947
Mhh the database I was checking has 1.9 million for Smash N64 and 1.7 for Melee

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Famitsu Top 10 2018:
1. [PS4] Monster Hunter World - 1.944.083
2. [NSW] Splatoon 2 - 869.832
3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 634.758
4. [NSW] Kirby Star Allies - 591.721
5. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey - 463.948
6. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 377.736
7. [3DS] Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon - 323.104
8. [NSW] Mario Tennis Aces - 315.320
9. [NSW] Minecraft - 238.634
10. [NSW] Mario + Rabbids - 200.131

NSW - 8
PS4 - 1
3DS - 1

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm one of those old guard Nintendo gamers who don't get Splatoon. From what I can see, Splatoon's fanbase are in their teens/20s, so kids who grew up on Wii/DS and GameCube. Different generation.

I don't begrudge it at all, bigger tent is always good. And there's no evidence Nintendo's focus on splatoon is affecting anything. The game's lead designer is among the crop of young developers at Nintendo. Aonuma, or Koizumi isn't being asked to contribute and Miyamoto is virtually retired from game development at this point.

I'm in my 30s and grew up on the Master System, NES and PC. I can't stand CoD, not a big fan of Destiny and Halo and I love Splatoon.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon is an absolute monster and bigger than Smash in Japan. I'm very glad that Switch sales are going pretty well and I expect great things from it in 2019.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, Minecraft's a good question: maybe it counts if we only take its physical sales? Yokai Watch is a good contender, too, although it might depend on how late in the year it releases.
Minecraft Bedrock Edition is technically a different game from Minecraft Switch Edition even if you count digital sales.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Total sales of Switch hardware in Japan have surpassed five million units as of September 2 with a total of 5,007,368 units sold since its March 3, 2017 launch, according to Famitsu sales data.

The platform's top five selling games in Japan (also as of September 2) are as follows:

1. Splatoon 2 (07/21/17, Nintendo) – 2,621,928 units sold
  2. Super Mario Odyssey (10/27/17, Nintendo) – 1,788,228 units sold
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (04/28/17, Nintendo) – 1,738,502 units sold
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 1,065,780 units sold
  5. Kirby: Star Allies (Nintendo, 03/16/18) – 591,721 units sold

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/switch-sales-top-five-million-in-japan#t1kdQeiacZG7iwWt.99

So in Japan, Splatoon 2 will probably sell more units by the end of this year than the lifetime sales of Wii U HW units?