• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
StarFox Zero was also a thing that was made the centerpiece of Nintendo's E3 that year (albeit leaked a day or two before hand by the press), so, I guess the trends are in E3's favor for the time being.

Like you, too, though, I'd definitely would love it if they revealed it earlier.
January in a normal direct is our best bet. Actually they revealed Smash in March, so maybe it could be in a March Direct too.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Could third parties just pay for the most expensive cart and damn the consequences? Maybe! They can do whatever they want. They could take a loss if they felt like it. They just won't when there are better options out there that don't have these same flaws and faults. While you may not believe that the cart is a major bottleneck, I have straight up talked to developers for VERY requested Switch games who have outright told me it is cart costs that are the problem.
I asked this before a few pages back, but nobody has replied, so I'll ask it again: As a non-hardware engineer, what are the obstacles to getting larger-capacity cartridges? I'd expect Moore's Law to kick in soon...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I missed this post. Very interesting insight, thanks. You may not be able to answer this, but is any of these games you are referring games that we assume cannot run on Switch because of technical limitations (other than cart size)? Or is it previous gen games/less graphically intensive games?
I'd love a gimped version of RDR2 on Switch. With the visuals of the first ones if that's what it takes. There, I said it, I feel better now.

Again, considering how Rockstar seems barely interested in a PC version I really doubt a Switch version was ever seriously considered, card size problems or no.

I'm guessing one of the games he and others are referring to is GTA V.

I asked this before a few pages back, but nobody has replied, so I'll ask it again: As a non-hardware engineer, what are the obstacles to getting larger-capacity cartridges? I'd expect Moore's Law to kick in soon...

More than Moore's Law I'd say it's a matter of economics of scale. Almost nobody has actually used the available 32GB cards yet, so it would make little sense for the card manufacturer to start offering 64GB cards at any decent rate. Hopefully Smash or some other multi-million selling game will use 32GB cards to start getting the prices down.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just holler at our good buddy Marcus. His friendly sources must have delivered the latest surprise no doubt!
How could I forget our besty friend Marcus Sellars! He's never been wrong on anything he's said about Nintendo. All those Call of Duty games and Mario Party 11 with everything we can dream of. He's so modest that he even deletes his twitter posts!

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

I may be completely off and this may just be me being overly pessimistic, but after more than a year and a half where the console sold very well, with the second holiday coming, and after a slow year 2018 in terms of releases, not having any rumors except those for a new hardware, and having very few official announcements, is not really a good sign. I get the increasing feeling that the Switch may end up being the console that "could have been" but was plagued by a string of unfortunate circumstances (cart size problem, third parties not ready at launch, next gen coming soon...). I hope I'm wrong.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I may be completely off and this may just be me being overly pessimistic, but after more than a year and a half where the console sold very well, with the second holiday coming, and after a slow year 2018 in terms of releases, not having any rumors except those for a new hardware, and having very few official announcements, is not really a good sign. I get the increasing feeling that the Switch may end up being the console that "could have been" but was plagued by a string of unfortunate circumstances (cart size problem, third parties not ready at launch, next gen coming soon...). I hope I'm wrong.
Last I heard the Switch is tracking 8 million for this fiscal year which is a huge disaster.

Oct 27, 2017
We got a ton of new announcements in the directast month.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey folks, just letting you know Nintendo doesn't need to be in the rumor mill all the freaking time. You already know basically what the next year is in store for them anyway.
Lol. You're so wrong it hurts. It's like you're living in an alternate universe.

Why do you all want the Switch to fail?

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I think you're being a bit overly pessimistic, yeah. I honestly have been incredibly happy with the games that released this year. I don't think any of them have been first party outside of Hyrule Warriors but that's because third parties have really been great (for me) this year. A lot of stuff might be old ports but they're ports of really good games worth playing (Fortnite, Dark Souls, MHGU, Diablo 3). It wasn't the most exciting year in terms of new releases but it's been a great year (at least for me) of games. Not to mention all the great indie games including my GOTY Hollow Knight.

2019 and 2020 is when original titles and day and date multiplat releases will start showing up. Games used to take far less time to develop back in the GC and even Wii days, but now most are on 3+ year cycles. If we see nothing interesting announced from third parties next year then I think I'll join your pessimism.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to remember Yoshi and Fire Emblem were delayed. That's two big first party games that could've been 2018 games. It would've made 2018 look a lot better.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
January in a normal direct is our best bet. Actually they revealed Smash in March, so maybe it could be in a March Direct too.

True. I guess it really will depend on the timing of it all, let alone what game(s) Nintendo wants to serve as their centerpiece at E3, next year.

StarFox and Metroid could both be up for such a task, if both games stand to impress.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Games already announced for 2019 :

- Fire Emblem
- Yoshi
- New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
- Tales of Vesperia
- No More Heroes
- Animal Crossing
- Daemon X Machina
- Ninjala
- Shovel Knight
- Luigi's Mansion
- Ace Attorney Trilogy
- Final Fantasy VII, IX, X/X-2, XII
- Town
- Pokemon
- Othe stuff( like Digimon Survive, both SAO games, Saint's Row 3, Grandia I & II...)

Games that were announced for 2018 exactly a year ago :

- Kirby
- Yoshi
- Fire Emblem
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Octopath
- Wolfenstein II
- Hollow Knight

Never forget that the Switch is transitionning from the WiiU and the 3DS. Nintendo and JP publishers were releasing 3DS games well into 2017. They need time to transition and the delays of Fire Emblem, Yokai Watch 4 (in Japan) prove it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's still Nintendo teams missing on Switch like Retro Studios. Next Level (not first) have Luigi's Mansion 3 coming now. Alpha Dream (another partner) still releasing 3DS games.

Monolith Soft is bigger than ever and are working on 2 games simultaneously. That studio is a workhorse.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're being honest with ourselves, Ubisoft's support on 3DS was pretty underwhelming.

Splinter Cell 3D had a 53 on Metacritic. -- This wasn't a great launch title.
Combat of Dinosaurs: Dinosaurs 3D had a 44 on Metacritic.
Asphalt 3D had a 43 on Metacritic.
Driver: Renegade had a 48 on Metacritic.
Rayman 3D had a 61 on Metacritic.
Gravity Falls: Legend of the Gnome Gemulets had a 46 on Metacritic.
Rabbids Travel in Time had a 55 on Metacritic.

Aside from Ghost Recon Shadow Wars and Rayman Origins, I would say Ubisoft's support on 3DS was dreadful for the most part.

Yep.

Western 3DS support on the whole was pretty dire. It's a massive improvement on Switch, from both indies and the major publishers.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry this whole back and forth as to whether or not the Switch is "failing" because you didn't like the games released this year along with a bunch of other arbitrary reasons like "there's not rumors" is incredibly reductive and completely un-grounded in reality. It just makes me think there's projection going on that you want Nintendo to fail and not that you think Nintendo will fail.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
I am just really curious about where this title that insiders said were surprised weren't at E3, that was supposedly going to be a "winner" among gamers.

We haven't heard hide nor hair of it. What could it be? Is it perhaps Star Fox, or an easy port that would garner favor with fans?

This seems to still be a mystery.

wesman

Oct 30, 2017
Pittsburgh
Again, considering how Rockstar seems barely interested in a PC version I really doubt a Switch version was ever seriously considered, card size problems or no.

I'm guessing one of the games he and others are referring to is GTA V.

More than Moore's Law I'd say it's a matter of economics of scale. Almost nobody has actually used the available 32GB cards yet, so it would make little sense for the card manufacturer to start offering 64GB cards at any decent rate. Hopefully Smash or some other multi-million selling game will use 32GB cards to start getting the prices down.

Nintendo is always so incredible with their data size though, I can't imagine Smash being bigger than a 16gb cart, if that.... But I agree with your thinking in them pushing sales of that size with their own larger titles.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am just really curious about where this title that insiders said were surprised weren't at E3, that was supposedly going to be a "winner" among gamers.

We haven't heard hide nor hair of it. What could it be? Is it perhaps Star Fox, or an easy port that would garner favor with fans?

Which insiders said that?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I don't remember that being said specifically but things like Diablo 3 and Civilization 6 were announced after E3. They could be referring to those games.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I do not quite remember, But I remember reading it from an insider on Era.

Definitely not, this rumor came from a first/second party perspective.

You're gonna have to find the source of that, because this is how insiders get badmouthed without having bad track records. Like, I remember Matt making a comment about Nintendo surprisingly holding onto a bunch of announcements at E3 but there was nothing about what he said that suggested first party games.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
You're gonna have to find the source of that, because this is how insiders get badmouthed without having bad track records. Like, I remember Matt making a comment about Nintendo surprisingly holding onto a bunch of announcements at E3 but there was nothing about what he said that suggested first party games.
I think I was mistaken, considering that it was spawn wave:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sp...-that-no-one-knows-about.62232/#post-11509300

Which I don't necessary believe, nor refers to Nintendo First Party. I am mistaken. It could have also referred to Civ 6.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You're correct about Red Dead, GTAV has been on the table.

By on the table do you mean it's been considered? I assume it's been considered since it can run easily and is guaranteed to be an extremely heavy seller, but I've been assuming the reason it hasn't come yet is because of card size. The game is huge on other consoles and it might not be worth it right now to either try to compress it or offer an enormous digital download only.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Again Nintendo has higher expectations for Switch even compared to the 3DS, so you would also expect a stronger support both first and third party, that's what i hope and it technically should get more third party-wise but there are no signs or rumors of that happening, i fear there is still not much in development, nothing really big or new besides what it has been already announced (SMT V, a new Etrian Odyssey, Child of Light 2, Doom Eternal)

So let me get straight, Switch is console that's successor and that come after biggest Nintendo fail (outside Virtual Boy) Wii U, so understandable 3rd party support was very limited,
and now when its obvious that Switch will be very successful platform with very strong install base, and you expecting that will have same 3rd party support like had on beginning?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo really dropped the ball if a thing as big as GTA does not release because of freaking cart size.

To be fair what exactly can they do about it? The only thing I can think of is to subsidize card costs but then they'll have to do that for every single publisher to avoid backlash over favoritism, and that will add up to cost them a hell of a lot of money.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
To be fair what exactly can they do about it? The only thing I can think of is to subsidize card costs but then they'll have to do that for every single publisher to avoid backlash over favoritism, and that will add up to cost them a hell of a lot of money.

Not my problem, honestly. But yeah, they could subsidized for very big games (big in terms of scope and sales potential). And games that are not very big... well, usually do not require large carts to begin with.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Not my problem, honestly. But yeah, they could subsidized for very big games (big in terms of scope and sales potential). And games that are not very big... well, usually do not require large carts to begin with.

But then you get publishers of smaller games no longer worrying about compressing the file size, so you WILL wind up with bigger sized games, costing Nintendo more money and inconveniencing consumers who buy digital.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd really love to talk about this gta stuff and I know some of you guys have paid attention and have pieced together some various nuggets I put out a few times before in the past few months regarding some 3rd party games... it seems a few others here have heard some similar things based on what I've read here the last day or two. It sucks, but it is what it is. Maybe the prices of carts will come down and the rumored switch pro can help too if it is real and it has has more onboard storage...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
But then you get publishers of smaller games no longer worrying about compressing the file size, so you WILL wind up with bigger sized games, costing Nintendo more money and inconveniencing consumers who buy digital.

Then, Nintendo should have bit the bullet earlier and release their games on large carts to lower the prices. The switch is not the most powerful machine in the neighborhood, but it's in a neat sweet spot for an hybrid machine. Being gimped by something as trivial as cart size or storage is what I call dropping the ball.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Then, Nintendo should have bit the bullet earlier and release their games on large carts to lower the prices. The switch is not the most powerful machine in the neighborhood, but it's in a neat sweet spot for an hybrid machine. Being gimped by something as trivial as cart size or storage is what I call dropping the ball.

Yeah that's a good point, they could've even shipped BotW on a 32GB card, even if it could fit on a 16GB card. That would've instantly made them a much more viable choice.

But that's the benefit of hindsight I guess. Hopefully Smash Ultimate is the game that'll do that.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'd really love to talk about this gta stuff and I know some of you guys have paid attention and have pieced together some various nuggets I put out a few times before in the past few months regarding some 3rd party games... it seems a few others here have heard some similar things based on what I've read here the last day or two. It sucks, but it is what it is. Maybe the prices of carts will come down and the rumored switch pro can help too if it is real and it has has more onboard storage...

You've said a lot and unlike others (not referring to people from this forum), you do not seem to get a narcissistic kick from hinting that you know stuff while we do not, so thanks for that. I cling to the possibility that the games are still being ported, even as we speak, but will release when the cart price will decrease.
Do you know if Nintendo is aware of the issue; aware in the sense that they realize that they need to do something. Or do you believe instead that they just phlegmatically think that it's not worth doing anything in particular. Knowing Nintendo, I'm inclined to assume the latter...

Status
Not open for further replies.