• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Rob in that coveted "first confessional after challenge that is always wrong" slot

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
If anybody other than Rob goes home tonight I'm gonna be pissed. The other four make for way more entertaining television, I don't want to watch the buddy system and people sitting around a shelter not strategizing for an entire season again.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a decent chance Rob could have gotten Adam out there if he had just flipped, since good lord he's better than Adam in challenges.

EPISODE 5 HIDDEN ADVANTAGE TRACKER

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Haha Sophie's little smile at Sarah
Trust the wink.

HIDDEN ADVANTAGE TRACKER (after 5 episodes)

IMMUNITY IDOLS

Sandra (immunity idol w/ limited shelf life - can only be used at her next tribal council)
Denise (immunity idol); other people who know of its existence (Adam & Ben)
Kim (immunity idol); other people who know of its existence (Sophie)
Sophie (immunity idol); other people who know of its existence (Sarah)

OTHER GAME ADVANTAGES

Jeremy ("get out of tribal free" card - can only be used until Final 10); other people who know of its existence (Michele)
Sarah ("steal a vote" ability); other people who know of its existence (Tony)

FIRE TOKEN TRACKER (after 5 episodes)

Total in Play = 24

Parvati = 4
Natalie (on EOE) = 4
Denise = 2
Nick = 2

Rob (on EOE) = 0
Sandra = 0
Sarah = 0
Tyson (on EOE) = 0

Everyone else has 1.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good episode. I felt like when Rob described how he didn't know the new school stuff when searching for an idols (and then Sophie nabs it) it was pretty much GG for him.

Kirblar is right that his best chance was to sell out Adam and Ben and hope to god the girls go with him. I think he didn't because he views flipping/ratting as the "weak" move, but at some point he needed to realize what a weak position he is in. It's not like he was controlling the Sele Tribe. Rob was playing from the bottom but was deluding himself into thinking he could play from the top.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the tribe dynamics the odds that the girls did anything but go with Ben as plan A were slim as you had boring bad liar, sketchy rat gameplay boy and control freak. Rob and Adam had to turn on each other.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Kirblar is right that his best chance was to sell out Adam and Ben and hope to god the girls go with him. I think he didn't because he views flipping/ratting as the "weak" move, but at some point he needed to realize what a weak position he is in. It's not like he was controlling the Sele Tribe. Rob was playing from the bottom but was deluding himself into thinking he could play from the top.
Yeah, this was a clear deficient blind spot in Rob's game in that he hasn't really had to scramble or play from the bottom before despite having played on 4 previous occasions (along with having a bird's eye view for a 5th). I mean, yeah, he did reference the Marquesas swap but he had more breathing room there plus John's core Rotu group used the opportunity of having extra numbers to blindside Gabe.

The other times he's played he's either gone to the end or been blindsided before he had an opportunity to scramble (Heroes vs. Villains). It resulted in him having a one-dimensional approach to the game and reacting very slowly to opportunities to dig himself out of this hole (i.e. flipping on Adam, finding the new idol before Sophie did, leveraging his 2 fire tokens instead of sitting on them, etc.)

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a graphic of the in-game Fire Token menu?

Because Parvati's now got a bunch.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Do we have a graphic of the in-game Fire Token menu?

Because Parvati's now got a bunch.
Coffee and Pastries (3 tokens)
A Small Bag of Beans (4 tokens)
A Regular Bag of Rice (5 tokens)
Two Pillows and Blankets (4 tokens)
A Tarp (5 tokens)
An Advantage in the Challenge (4 tokens)

That's what's presently up for grabs in the main game proper.
You're pretty much stockpiling these for challenge advantages and presumably only after merge in must-win situations will we see them doled out.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this was a clear deficient blind spot in Rob's game in that he hasn't really had to scramble or play from the bottom before despite having played on 4 previous occasions (along with having a bird's eye view for a 5th). I mean, yeah, he did reference the Marquesas swap but he had more breathing room there plus John's core Rotu group used the opportunity of having extra numbers to blindside Gabe.

The other times he's played he's either gone to the end or been blindsided before he had an opportunity to scramble (Heroes vs. Villains). It resulted in him having a one-dimensional approach to the game and reacting very slowly to opportunities to dig himself out of this hole (i.e. flipping on Adam, finding the new idol before Sophie did, leveraging his 2 fire tokens instead of sitting on them, etc.)

Yeah, Rob's play was really disappointing. I was hoping for a sneakier, more flexible version of him.

I read somewhere about a research study about Rock/Paper/Scissors and game theory. And they found that people have a tendency to repeat the same throw after being successful once with it. Kind of a "no duh" conclusion, but interesting to document that tendency to repeat successful strategies.

We're definitely seeing a lot of that with some of these winners. Sarah's social game with advantage play. Adam running back and forth. Yul the friendly godfather. Sophie attaching to him. Sandra's "anybody but me" strategy.

I'm hoping we get more and more moments like Kim where they really try something new.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Oh Rob. Everyone knows the play now (though Ben and Adam are susceptible to all Rob's coercion lol).

I'm liking the Sophie-Sarah twosome.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
I'd say Tony has adapted quite a bit. He's playing so much more in the background, and focusing more on social connections.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Denise has changed up her game considerably.
I mean, she's winning tribal challenges, not attending tribal council, finding immunity idols, having more than just one solo ally, etc.

I honestly wouldn't mind if she and Jeremy tossed Kim a lifeline... although I worry about that tribe losing a challenge because Sandra, Kim and Denise all have idols. Seems set up for a lot of craziness to pop off. Especially with Sandra's essentially being an auto-play. Tony and Jeremy would be highly exposed in that environment. Jeremy also has his "get out of tribal" ejection power.

How hilarious would it be if Jeremy used his power, ejected Tony to essentially compel Kim to ally with him and Denise, Sandra plays her idol, Denise and Kim play their idols and Jeremy goes to the Edge as the only one not protected? That's actually plausible.

Last edited:

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
How hilarious would it be if Jeremy used his power, ejected Tony to essentially compel Kim to ally with him and Denise, Sandra plays her idol, Denise and Kim play their idols and Jeremy goes to the Edge as the only one not protected? That's actually plausible.

Or Jeremy ejects himself, Sandra, Kim, and Denise all play idols, and Tony is eliminated by default.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Not even a glimpse of Edge and the episode was great, coincidence? I think not!

Glad to see we get more of Tony's ladder in the secret scenes. Ladder is a reoccurring character on the season now.

Everyone needs to be watching the secret scenes. With the show and all the secret scenes they're doling out it basically looks like they edited the episodes to be an hour and a half almost and just threw the cut individual scenes up on cbs. They're all pretty good and there's tons. This episode even used a capture from one of the secret scenes for the episode thumbnail.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoleSurvivor

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
yNGFccM.jpg

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Season of the women. Damn.

Also, apparently it was tried to lodge the fire token's out of the skull and it wasn't possible or they weren't allowed.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
It was pretty obvious Rob would get voted out, however I doubt this was a good move for either Ben or Adam. If their tribe goes to tribal again next time, one of them goes for sure.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
As soon as Rob's new tribe didn't win immunity, I immediately thought... Rob gone.
He was very right that tribe swaps hurt his game.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't even put a clip in of Rob showing up at Edge, and there was no clips through the episode, you know that shit is going to take up at least 15 minutes on the next episode.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Rob was in a bad spot even if they didn't swap. It might have been Adam, but I still think it would have been Rob or Parvati.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
That was the best episode since the premiere by far. Maybe the best?

I love the new tribe dynamics so much! I just hope the next few boots aren't heartbreaking. Get Nick and Wendull and Ben out already.

This season is really highlighting how fucking good Sarah is at this game. It's not a surprise exactly, because her domination of Game Changers was pretty plain to see...but I heard all of the stories of how everyone believed she was their best friend out there. And so far Winners at War has done a much better job of capturing that on camera in 5 episodes than Game Changers did in 15. She just feels incredibly genuine in almost all of these interactions with the other players.

It's especially impressive given the massive target she had on her back coming in. Almost half the cast had named her their first target pre-game.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still pretty underwhelmed by this season. Seems like every time we've gone to tribal, it played out exactly like I thought it would. Rob getting screwed by another tribe swap is just meh.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Rob was in a bad spot even if they didn't swap. It might have been Adam, but I still think it would have been Rob or Parvati.
Pretty much. He can blame all he wants the swap, but he was in an awful position. Actually, getting into a swap with the majority numbers was actually a better scenario for him, but the trust was far gone at this point. Ben and Adam getting played hard too. I understand wanting to get rid of Rob, but why not get rid of one of the girls and use the remaining one to vote him out in the next tribal?

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
Yeah I think it was a mistake to vote out Rob for Ben and Adam. They know there's at a bare minimum one more vote off before merge, and they're giving up their majority. If there's 2 votes they could easily be the next two out. Luckily for them 2 tribes are voting someone out so only one will be in danger. For one of them it will most likely bite them in the ass next episode. Ben is my guess.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the two tribes vote someone out thing is about to fuck someone like Tony who up to this point seems to be shockingly doing great. Him/Parv/Sandra have to be the top picks if two teams go.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I feel like the two tribes vote someone out thing is about to fuck someone like Tony who up to this point seems to be shockingly doing great. Him/Parv/Sandra have to be the top picks if two teams go.
Tony's actually in a very bad way on that tribe given the 3 potential idol plays and Jeremy's advantage.

The good news for him is that Sandra can return to her bench for that challenge so she won't prove to be a liability. And frankly, if Tony somehow goes on to win the game after this draw, I think that clutch come from behind puzzle win last week will be looked upon as having been crucial.