LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Literally, lmao.

This shit is so flat, damn it.

m4bzcwjfdcbtdhkjob8t.jpg

fire-emblem-three-houses-how-to-fast-travel.jpg
FETH is absolute Witchcraft. It takes real skill to make a native 1080p look so low res.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, i agree with OP. Maybe not the best in graphic effects technically, ala Doom, but AC has such a cool art style and coherent visual direction. It's PG's best so far. The city streets are amazing.

I think Luigi's mansion 3 will blow peoples away visually though.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
FE:3H is close to the ugliest thing i've ever seen on switch. Astral chain is just mediocre and saved by the art design.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
El Capitan Todd still the best looking I think.

See, screenshots like this just show how much jaggies the game has got. Takes it down a peg for me.

In a still sure, but in motion it hides them faaaar better than most games with jaggies. FE and even BOTW seem far more obvious in motion. Whatever AA technique they're using, it's damned good.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly hard to judge how technically good the graphics are due to the art direction being so ugly. That could be clouding my judgement. But as a whole it is a very Vita-ish game to me in its art direction.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's one of the few Switch exclusives (maybe even titles) that actually employ some form of anti-aliasing docked so already I'm biased towards it. I wasn't on board with the art style at first but after an hour or two of playtime you do see how coherent everything is and just how packed with detail the environments are.

On the comparisons with FE:TH: it's a shame that the best graphics from the game are from a view most people don't actually use (the zoomed in battle cam...WHICH EVEN ALLOWS YOU TO CONTROL THE CHARACTERS DIRECTLY). It feels like they optimized for crowds when you don't actually see much of the crowds during actual gameplay because you're spending most of your time on the birds eye view.

ps. The UI? GORGEOUS. Feels like a subdued take on Persona 5's UI. The drop shadows that have an absurd distance from their origin? GENIUS.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
that is surprising. I would say it looks fine at best. Potentially good if the character design wasn't some of the worst in recent memory.
huh, was wrong about the character design?
MadHelplessCrossbill-size_restricted.gif

https://media./wp-content/uploads/2019/02/13224403/astral-chain-02-13-19-24.jpg
i understand if you find them boring but they are probably the more grounded cast in a Platinum Game, its no Xenoblade X or 2, and you can change the appaerance of the main characters too

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
For a Switch game it does look really good. I love the art style and aesthetic they went for with this game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Astral Plane may be a bit samey in context of the game, but if there's one thing I'll give to its credit is that I'm finding it way more pleasant to look at aesthetically compared to DMC5's Qliphoth, which was also a massive presentational blemish on what otherwise would've been a game with consistently great art style.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wish it didn't have so much aliasing. I feel that's the big limiter in terms of visuals.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say it's either this or Breath of the Wild. The Witcher 3 is a port of a current gen title, but I'm really curious to see how it looks, specially in handheld mode.

I know you probably mean in person, but there's a lot of footage on YouTube of it in handheld mode. It's slated to be 540p. Astral Chain is 720p,

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the aliasing problem on most Switch games. Why don't they use some simple FXAA? That will barely use any processing power if any.

And I don't understand the fascination with vaseline smeared images, which is what FXAA does. I would rather have jaggies if it means the rest of the image is sharp, instead of blurry. That Breath of the Wild screenshot for instance is smeared to hell.

Anyway, this is yet another game to add to my growing "I will get a Switch when there are enough games I want to play" list.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's beautiful!

The only thing that annoys me is the lip-syncing (at least with the English VA), I don't think they even tried and it's kinda jarring to me in some cutscenes.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
not with those character models it aint lol

I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up more. Every character looks like a creepy anime sex doll, they look awful. The art direction otherwise is pretty solid though.

Exactly why I couldn't stick with Xeno 2. Creepy anime models seems to be a theme on the Switch.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I think it's one of the few Switch exclusives (maybe even titles) that actually employ some form of anti-aliasing docked so already I'm biased towards it. I wasn't on board with the art style at first but after an hour or two of playtime you do see how coherent everything is and just how packed with detail the environments are.

On the comparisons with FE:TH: it's a shame that the best graphics from the game are from a view most people don't actually use (the zoomed in battle cam...WHICH EVEN ALLOWS YOU TO CONTROL THE CHARACTERS DIRECTLY). It feels like they optimized for crowds when you don't actually see much of the crowds during actual gameplay because you're spending most of your time on the birds eye view.

ps. The UI? GORGEOUS. Feels like a subdued take on Persona 5's UI. The drop shadows that have an absurd distance from their origin? GENIUS.
that mode also makes the game a pain to play

astral chain looks so good though. can't wait to pick it up

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the general aesthetic/direction of Bayo 2 overall, but Astral Chain is really impressive too. I can't wait to see what Bayo 3 looks like now.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Botw among one of the best looking games. I dunno about that. Its a port of a Wii u game after all, so definitely not in fidelity.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
It's one of the ugliest notable Switch releases I've ever seen. The art direction, character design, UI... what the fuck were they thinking?

I agree but the ugliest? Nah, ARK and Troll and I wins that place by far.

Well, it's not surprising, Platinum Games makes ugly games with jaggies everywhere.

Last edited:

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's definitely the prettiest Switch game I've played. In terms of technical visual fidelity, definitely. And you can see the times where they had to cut corners they mask it pretty well.

It's also just a visually interesting game to look at. Use of color and all the detail in environments make it such a treat.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Crazy what can be pulled off on the Switch, portable hardware has come a long way since the 3ds.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I think Mario Kart 8 is the best looking game. It's tack sharp whether in portable mode or on my 65' TV

Oct 27, 2017
If you're factoring in image quality, it's got to be Captain Toad or Mario Rabbids. Luigi's Mansion 3 may join this upper echeleon soon.

Otherwise, this game is a top contender in motion, surpassing BOTW and Odyssey - in motion. Both of those games are capable of producing best-on-console still images, however. ARMS and MK8D never fell out of contention either. Smash is a more recent contender on the breadth of art/character styles alone. Same with Cuphead, and soon Ori.

As for "for a Switch game" comments, well, we have the following "impossible" ports completely portable and soon to fit in a pocket:

- multiple DOOMs
- multiple Wolfensteins
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
- Hellblade
- Civilization VI
- NBA2K (full game features)
- The Witcher 3
- The Outer Worlds

What constitutes the "best looking" and what is "a switch game" are things that are continually receiving new challenges. I think that's something you'd want to see a system experience.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks good (sometimes). Enemy design though, in my opinion is terrible. It's akin to RE:Revelations, just blob enemies. I really really don't like them. 4 hrs in anyway. Some effects are cool, Helipad looks great at night and daytime, so city stuff looks neat. I don't think it's the best looking switch game though at all. It looks good,, not the best.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hot take but i think if yoshi's crafted world was running at higher resolutions it would have been in top 5 best looking switch games.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
For those talking about jaggies, Astral Chain is not nearly as bad as Fire Emblem on that department... Specially docked. The cell shading jaggies were so sharp they could cut through the screen. On the other hand, although there are a few jaggies in handheld mode, the image is quite sharp. Docked, on my 4K Screen the image is not nearly as bad as everyone is saying it is