• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't this case be more similar to a Jewish rabbi, walking into a Muslim Butcher's shop and asking for a custom non-halal, Kosher cut of a steak?

No, the crux of this issue (which SCOTUS did not decide on ) is that there's a free speech element to making custom wedding cakes. It'd be similar to going to somebody going into a Muslim Painter's shop and asking for a portrait of Mohammed and denying you based on that.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I tend to agree with the ruling (as apparently so do some of the liberal judges). It dealt more with how the baker was treated rather than the consumer. Anyone that thinks this opens the door to refuse service to gays is sorely mistaken, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
But isn't a substantial part of their business to make wedding cakes? All of them are customized.

I mean the customers were not requesting to put the word "gay" in the cake or specifically making a gay wedding cake, right? (Like a rainbow flag or something).

So what is the difference of serving other couples requesting wedding cakes? If you are providing (serving) wedding cakes, you are serving wedding cakes (for all).

From what I understand the couple wanted a specific designed cake versus the bakery's generic wedding cake designs. The baker was more than happy to sell them a generic wedding cake but would not take a commission/job on a custom cake.
I guess the generic cakes come with a premade template and the custom would make him more personally involved in the cake making?

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can read up on it here. It seems the laws depend on the state.

But isn't this just saying what I'm saying? That you can't discriminate against people for being a protected class, and you can't single them out specifically, which is part of discrimination?

So, no matter where you live, you cannot deny service to someone because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some states and cities, you also cannot discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If there is no state, federal or local law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people.

The answer is that you can refuse to serve someone even if they're in a protected group, but the refusal can't be arbitrary and you can't apply it to just one group of people.

To avoid being arbitrary, there must be a reason for refusing service and you must be consistent. There could be a dress code to maintain a sense of decorum, or fire code restrictions on how many people can be in your place of business at one time, or a policy related to the health and safety of your customers and employees. But you can't just randomly refuse service to someone because you don't like the way they look or dress.

Second, you must apply your policy to everyone. For example, you can't turn away a black person who's not wearing a tie and then let in a tieless white man. You also can't have a policy that sounds like it applies to everyone but really just excludes one particular group of people. So, for example, a policy against wearing headscarves in a restaurant would probably be discriminatory against Muslims.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
You can read up on it here. It seems the laws depend on the state.
LegalZoom isn't the best here — there are better sources. That said, you're substantially correct.

It's a question as to whether something is a place of private accommodation. If so, federal anti-discrimination laws would apply (and we get to protected class inquiries).

States have their own, often more expansive, definitions.

Colorado's undergirds the main issue in this case.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
lol yes it was.

Explain to me how if you're not homophobic, you're gonna have a trouble making the most mundane custom cake for a gay wedding?
The issue is that he considers the cakes a form of artistic expression and that is generally protected from prosecution. So in this case the question is what is the difference between a product and art. It would be a much more open and shut case if he refused to serve the couple completely like the other baker but in this case he offered them a wedding cake but not his artistic work. This is going to come back to the Supreme court later I am pretty sure since they need to give the courts the limits of artistic protections but they punted it back since the lower courts screwed up in their opinion.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Well this thread turned into a trash fire.

Please Please PLEASE read the OP edit and the SCOTUSblog explanation folks.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't seem to match up with anything that I'm seeing when I look this up honestly. Everything that I'm seeing says that you can't refuse service to someone who is a protected class because of the reason that they're a protected class. As in, you can't refuse to serve someone who is black, just because they're black.

I'm not seeing the legal loophole about it having to be interstate when I look at a few places.

Where are you looking?

Oct 27, 2017
"Sir, why did you kick a gay couple out of your restaurant?"

"They had asked for a cheeseburger with no cheese. We don't support custom food orders from gays is all since it goes against my beliefs."

Wouldn't the correct analogy in this case be:

"They had asked for a cheeseburger with no cheese. We don't serve burgers without cheese because that is against our beliefs"

The legal argument is not about service to gay people, but the performance of a bespoke service in countenance to the religious beliefs of the service provider.

I'm firmly with the customers here and think that the bakers should be obliged to perform the service which is reasonable in its nature and which they advertise for. Its not as clear-cut as you suggested and it is a legally grey area.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
But isn't this just saying what I'm saying? That you can't discriminate against people for being a protected class, and you can't single them out specifically, which is part of discrimination?
At least for the purposes of understanding, a better analogy that you can read up on involves same-sex country clubs — like Augusta National used to be.

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be similar to going to somebody going into a Muslim Painter's shop and asking for a portrait of Mohammed and denying you based on that.

My example doesn't sound too far off from yours though.. and I totally get it! If a Muslim Butcher prides in their halal meat, and according to their faith halal is the only way to sell edible meat, wouldn't it make sense for the Butcher to tel the rabbi: I cannot proceed with your order because every meat we have here is halal?

Anyway I feel like I'm getting off topic, since the court's ruling had nothing to do with this.
Regardless, it's good to look into details with situations like this and not just paint everything with a broad brush.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The federal law does not prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation, so gays are not a protected group under the federal law. However, about 20 states, including New York and California, have enacted laws that prohibit discrimination in public accommodations based on sexual orientation. In California, you also can't discriminate based on someone's unconventional dress. In some states, like Arizona, there's no state law banning discrimination against gays, but there are local laws in some cities that prohibit sexual orientation discrimination.

So again, the laws vary by state.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
They are not. Anyone can go in and buy a cake. No one is refusing service. The question is regarding a custom order, which anyone can refuse. In this case, their religious beliefs regarding gay marriage had them refuse a custom order. While I do not share those beliefs, I don't think they should also be forced to provide a custom order that goes against their beliefs. There are plenty other bakeries to go.

Discrimination would be if they refused normal service.

Put it this way. The Jewish market I have gone to for years and years, they will not do a custom order of anything related to Christmas, Easter, First Communion. And that is their right. But anyone can go in and buy their goods and services.

Interesting.

I'm not a legal analytic, so I'm beyond my scope here, but I feel that the Hobby Lobby ruling lingers a little, too.

PapaDoc

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol I mean, arguing this was the right ruling is one thing but denying the baker's homophobia is another. And chanting "religious belief" isn't gonna make it go away.
I still think that the guy is a dipshit for losing out on money and costing himself way more money in the long run for it.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Is there more info on the hostility towards the baker's religious beliefs from the council? Like we're there memos being passed around saying they're going to nail his Christian ass or something?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My example doesn't sound too far off from yours though.. and I totally get it! If a Muslim Butcher prides in their halal meat, and according to their faith halal is the only way to sell edible meat, wouldn't it make sense for the Butcher to tel the rabbi: I cannot proceed with your order because every meat we have here is halal?

Anyway I feel like I'm getting off topic, since the court's ruling had nothing to do with this.
Regardless, it's good to look into details with situations like this and not just paint everything with a broad brush.

You'd have to argue that there's an expressive element to meat butchering. Which I'd argue there is not.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No.

Anti-discrimination laws apply to the government, not private businesses. The government cannot discriminate against you, but private business/individuals can. So, how then did Congress and the Courts force businesses to stop discriminating? Good ol' legal creativiy through the use of the Commerce Clause. The underlying rationale being that Congress has the right to regulate interstate commerce and the activities that effect it. A business that discriminates against other people effects interstate commerce and thus Congress can regulate to stop such discrimination. The problem is that only applies in situations when interstate commerce exists. However, if a business is purely local as in its business is located entirely within one state (ie its supplies are purely local, its product is distributed only locally) then Congress can't really do anything. This is how many Country Clubs are allowed to be discriminatory, though they have to be painstakingly sure all their business is local as even one supply coming from out of state can invite regulation from Congress.
That's not true. Like at all.
First of all, the anti-discrimination laws do apply to private businesses, that was one of the main points of the civil rights act of 1964. It is limited to public accommodations, which is why (some) private clubs are able to get away with discriminatory policies. But you can't open a restaurant that don't allow black people, even if it's just one location in one state.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Are you basing this off that LegalZoom blog post? *sigh* This is why you don't rely on sites like LegalZoom look towards the actual law/statute:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 said:
SEC. 201. (a) All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, and privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

(b) Each of the following establishments which serves the public is a place of public accommodation within the meaning of this title if its operations affect commerce, or if discrimination or segregation by it is supported by State action:

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 specifically spells out that it only applies to "public accommodations" that affect interstate commerce because Congress cannot regulate purely local activity.

EDIT:

That's not true. Like at all.
First of all, the anti-discrimination laws do apply to private businesses, that was one of the main points of the civil rights act of 1964. It is limited to public accommodations, which is why (some) private clubs are able to get away with discriminatory policies. But you can't open a restaurant that don't allow black people, even if it's just one location in one state.

See above

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Man, this is a tough one. I think a privately-owned business should be allowed to refuse service on any basis they see fit, especially if it's something involving religion. The free market means that competition will always be available to serve that customer anyway. That bakery's loss will be another bakery's gain.

Now government services, non-profits, and other publicly-funded operations? They obviously shouldn't be allowed to turn anyone away.

If this was a story about a muslim-owned business not wanting to deal with pork for religious reasons, would a similar stink be raised? They're refusing customer service because of religious beliefs.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
So- this decision strikes me as potentially having some implications to the travel ban case, with respect to what the Justices consider for the record.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this is a tough one. I think a privately-owned business should be allowed to refuse service on any basis they see fit, especially if it's something involving religion. The free market means that competition will always be available to serve that customer anyway. That bakery's loss will be another bakery's gain.

Now government services, non-profits, and other publicly-funded operations? They obviously shouldn't be allowed to turn anyone away.

If this was a story about a muslim-owned business not wanting to deal with pork for religious reasons, would a similar stink be raised? They're refusing customer service because of religious beliefs.
No it different from this case, this isn't a free excerise case, it is a free speech case.

McMahon

Banned
May 24, 2018
Los Angeles

Right to pork foodstuff = LGBTQ rights?

smfh

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
a derelict decision, it basically resets the board and puts the chips back in everyone's pockets

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Does this sentence not scare anyone else? Protected class? What is that supposed to imply? No "class" of people are better than anyone else and no "class" deserves more rights than anyone else.

Those who have been historically marginalized, stripped of their rights, and treated with brutality are absolutely deserving of greater protections. This isn't just historical either, these attacks continue to this very day, and are even increasing under Trump.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there more info on the hostility towards the baker's religious beliefs from the council? Like we're there memos being passed around saying they're going to nail his Christian ass or something?

There are several quotations and examples in both the majority and dissenting opinion. It seems like Colorado had a restorative justice praxis and that some of the comments the authorities made could be construed as hostile to Christianity/Religion.

It's a bunch of bunk honestly, because you'd be hard pressed to find anything they said that was observably false. Religion (particularly Christianity in America) has been used as a bludgeon to propagate oppressive and hateful opinions in America, and the CRC was (probably a bit too) hyperaware of that.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Does this sentence not scare anyone else? Protected class? What is that supposed to imply? No "class" of people are better than anyone else and no "class" deserves more rights than anyone else.
Protected classes were developed due to the actions of others. In some ideal future maybe we won't need them anymore but I think worrying about giving extra protections to minorities and other vulnerable people doesn't seem like a bad plan. I mean eventually we all become a protected class since age discrimination is also built into there.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

I'm not sure if you don't understand how anti-discrimination laws work or if you're just being purposely dense.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Wouldn't the correct analogy in this case be:

"They had asked for a cheeseburger with no cheese. We don't serve burgers without cheese because that is against our beliefs"

The legal argument is not about service to gay people, but the performance of a bespoke service in countenance to the religious beliefs of the service provider.

I'm firmly with the customers here and think that the bakers should be obliged to perform the service which is reasonable in its nature and which they advertise for. Its not as clear-cut as you suggested and it is a legally grey area.

Depends, the Baker is saying he will serve them, but not a custom wedding cake for a gay couple. I used the anology to say it's a custom burger, but yours works as well. Either way he is a public business and can't turn down people because of beliefs. Don't want to create cakes for certain people, then become a private business.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

No because everyone is a protected class. For example race is a protected class, and everyone has a race. White people and straight people (in states that protect sexual orientation) are protected also, it just doesn't come up as much because they are the majority.