• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And it's not a good progression from Swordmaster, having 30% less speed growth. I tried the class with Felix and it's really good (crazy magic crit), but it doesn't feel like what you want from the ultimate Swordmaster, it feels more like a crit-based mage.

Yeah. I made Felix a Savant and changed him back immediately after two test battles. He got markedly worse at dodging things and his magic damage wasn't nearly high enough to make up for the downgrade in survivability.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I think the easy solution would be to just remove beginner classes entirely and start everyone as an actual class like in normal FE games. It was a cute idea for lore purposes but having four class tiers, combined with the astronomical requirements for Master Classes (despite Byleth and the house leads getting promotions to MC-level monstrosities for free!) just feels like it wasn't thought through enough.

There's only one Master Class that uses swords, for example! Just one.
I don't know just like in SoV the classes help in a mechanical sense to reinforce the lore/characters.

In SoV for example the "villagers" were villagers because that's what they were, and customizing them from there made sense, while the others had set classes. Three Houses took that a step even further and made the students "malleable" and it reinforces the theme of being the teacher guiding their growth, even if it's against their natural strengths. Reinforced by the teachers/faculty/etc all having set classes typically in the advanced range.

I played on Normal so I'm biased, but the master classes were super easy to get into even before the time skip for me personally, but as others have said you can see the advanced classes as the main end classes with their growths and master classes shouldn't have been called such imo.

I think having "specialities" and bringing back some of the classes from like FATEs would be nice though. That being said Mortal Savant will never be as cool as Dread Knight, and I want Dread Knight back.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Map complexity isn't really reliant on budget. But sure, I'll go with that. Behind that is cutscenes/story presentation, because Three Houses really suffers from a severe case of telling, not showing. Lots of important developments kinda just happen very limply.

"I saw Dimitri get killed! It was horrible! Here's a picture of Dedue being sad to prove it really happened."

I didn't know whether I should laugh or cry.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
"I saw Dimitri get killed! It was horrible! Here's a picture of Dedue being sad to prove it really happened."

The time skip I actually hated because of this. I played Blue Lions and it felt like aside from Dimitri's interactions in the Monastery literally nothing actually happened and it all got resolved so quickly it had zero impact.

I would say no more branching paths. Focus all of your effort into one storyline, so then the budget for story from Three Houses can probably stay the same; that'd probably mean a meatier chunk of the story is anime cutscenes, and paced better overall. Spend the rest of the money on POLISH. Airtight framerate, cleaner-looking textures, better resolution. The amount of content in Three Houses is more than enough for a game with less decisions from the player.
Unless it's two paths to the same story like SoV imo. It was cool having things have more context if you played the two story lines pretty closely. Unlike 3H where key storylines like a big bad coming back to life is completely negated if you roll a different route. I know they wanted each route to be "different" and it "mostly" works but there's a lot of problems with some of the context and framing in each route that aren't cohesive or consistent.

Especially when one route reuses content from another and another route is half the length due to it being so different.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I would say no more branching paths. Focus all of your effort into one storyline, so then the budget for story from Three Houses can probably stay the same; that'd probably mean a meatier chunk of the story is anime cutscenes, and paced better overall. Spend the rest of the money on POLISH. Airtight framerate, cleaner-looking textures, better resolution. The amount of content in Three Houses is more than enough for a game with less decisions from the player.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
improved visuals would be nice
i dont really care that much about graphics generally, but this game can be ugly sometimes
i imagine a big part of it is that you can zoom in an see potentially like a hundred characters at once during a map thanks to battalions
i think a more stylized artstyle might do wonders in terms of environments

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
The time skip I actually hated because of this. I played Blue Lions and it felt like aside from Dimitri's interactions in the Monastery literally nothing actually happened and it all got resolved so quickly it had zero impact.
Haven't played Blue Lions yet, but the church route handled it very well. Was disappointed when I then did Edelgard's route and it amounted to basically nothing, similar to what it sounds like you're saying.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Haven't played Blue Lions yet, but the church route handled it very well. Was disappointed when I then did Edelgard's route and it amounted to basically nothing, similar to what it sounds like you're saying.
There's one scene. ONE that would have been AMAZING if I hadn't rushed right into it. The game is just like "Hey you, wake up" and then like one scene happens and then the potentially great scene happens, and then "gotta get you off to battle can't have you not battling until you get back to monastery shenanigans again, hurry up!" and then all the students are like "Hey we said we'd meet here again so hi."

It all happens in the span of maybe 30 minutes of game time. Having a mission with only two units the whole match or having more time spent between time skip and goign back to the normal gameplay loop of the monastery would have really reinforced what happened, but instead most the other characters seem to be totally fine and the only one who has had any trouble at all is Dimitri. Which sucks because Dimitri's scene, as I said, could have been amazing, but the surrounding events make it almost seem like it's from a separate game.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

lol definitely an issue imo. I don't think it's a budget issue, I just think that they should really focus on honing one story line rather than these imperfect slices. Just focus on one story, and really nail that. This doesn't need more content imo, I'm okay with less content if it means a better put together product.

But mostly I just don't like the idea of having to play this multiple times to get the full story. I'm almost done with GD and I'll be close to 100 hours by the time I'm done. I probably took my time too much, but still the monastery stuff was fun but drags out over time.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Multiplayer Stage Generator: Design stages, set traps, enemies, reinforcements and victory rewards to share online. This would be a great replacement or addon to mid mission grinding.

Higher environment and character textures.

If doing another Blank Slate character, re add customization to appearance otherwise go back to pre awakening Named Main Protagonist.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
There's one scene. ONE that would have been AMAZING if I hadn't rushed right into it. The game is just like "Hey you, wake up" and then like one scene happens and then the potentially great scene happens, and then "gotta get you off to battle can't have you not battling until you get back to monastery shenanigans again, hurry up!" and then all the students are like "Hey we said we'd meet here again so hi."

It all happens in the span of maybe 30 minutes of game time. Having a mission with only two units the whole match or having more time spent between time skip and goign back to the normal gameplay loop of the monastery would have really reinforced what happened, but instead most the other characters seem to be totally fine and the only one who has had any trouble at all is Dimitri. Which sucks because Dimitri's scene, as I said, could have been amazing, but the surrounding events make it almost seem like it's from a separate game.
The church route handles it by
actually having an epic cutscene leading to your five year slumber, and then the chapter right after has you starting with just you and Seteth, as slowly over the course of the map your students show up to help.
It's treated with the weight and time it deserves.

If you mashed all the cutscenes from all the routes into one and took the best of each, you'd end up with something really satisfying, but as it is now it's spread way too thin. Even a pivotal moment that happens in all routes, the Flame Emperor reveal, gets an awesome cutscene in one and a lame reveal in the other two.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
I think they should focus on the gameplay and start by making the maps more engaging and varied. They have doors, bushes, breakable walls, chests, and terrain types, but I'd like to see what else they could do in that area. Maybe maps with multiple (vertical) levels? More variety in the effects of combat arts and player choice in skill rewards would also be a good idea. A graphical bump would be nice too, but as much as I liked this game I would want to see them develop the gameplay as far as they can in order for me to be pulled in by a sequel. TH was my first FE game btw

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
actually having an epic cutscene leading to your five year slumber, and then the chapter right after has you starting with just you and Seteth, as slowly over the course of the map your students show up to help.

If you mashed all the cutscenes from all the routes into one and took the best of each, you'd end up with something really satisfying, but as it is now it's spread way too thin. Even a pivotal moment that happens in all routes, the Flame Emperor reveal, gets an awesome cutscene in one and a lame reveal in the other two.

This is exactly how it's done in Blue Lions as well. It's the same mission in Golden Deer as well, I believe.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019

There's a similar method in BL. Maybe you'll end up liking it then. The "cutscene" was fine, but my problem is with the quick "Okay bye, okay 5 years, okay you wake up, okay go meet him. Okay go fight, okay here's the other students, now back to monastery monotony"

The map and fight itself was fine, but then when all the students seem to be just like...chilling in the 5 years of supposed WAR it really kills the impact of a time skip revolving around things going to shit when the professor is out, as I don't feel the Professor REALLY has a ton of impact on the battles that are fought, more so just their direct impact on the lords.

This is exactly how it's done in Blue Lions as well. It's the same mission in Golden Deer as well, I believe.
Sounds like it. I thought it was rushed, especially when Dimitri is so completely opposite to everyone else in the cast and aside from some "haha he sure is edgy now isn't he" it feels like there's no impact to the things going on. It feels like Dimitri actually had things happen in the time skip and events shaped him, while everyone else is just...there, and it's rushed as hell to me.

To be fair I feel like all the major plot points are rushed, especially the BL ending. Wew that was really underwhelming. The game is a blast and has a LOT of great stuff in it. I think because it's so great those few flaws really stick out to me.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I think the first thing I would want is more diverse animations. I've seen too many repeating animations and some differentiations would really express the characters more

Another thing would be to flesh out the battalions more, maybe to the point where they have the equivalent of support levels. Have the character hang out with them and boost morale

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Unique animations for every combat skill in the game is probably at the top of my list. Heavy Draw and Curved Shot should not look like the same attack for example.

I want funeral scenes for any lost teammates on non casual modes, and occasional remarks of how much they miss x, y, and z.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I think the first thing I would want is more diverse animations. I've seen too many repeating animations and some differentiations would really express the characters more

Another thing would be to flesh out the battalions more, maybe to the point where they have the equivalent of support levels. Have the character hang out with them and boost morale

Battalions are about as broken as Pair-Up was in Awakening, they need a major overhaul either way.
They are great! They add A LOT to the strategy, especially with monster bosses. But they are crazy overpowered.

Unique animations for every combat skill in the game is probably at the top of my list. Heavy Draw and Curved Shot should not look like the same attack for example.

I want funeral scenes for any lost teammates on non casual modes, and occasional remarks of how much they miss x, y, and z.

Oh god yes!
Why is there a cemetery and I get no growing tombstone collection reminding me of my fuckups?

To be fair though, Three Houses DOES have A LOT of dialogue variations based on who is on what side and who died already. Dorothea for example will always mourn Ferdinand if you end up not recruiting both of them over to your team.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Give me a single, long, in depth storyline that wraps itself up completely with a large cast of characters that are recruitable in and out of combat.

Exploration around towns/world maps similar to the original Shining Force games, and voila.

Edit: And a high priority on map design. The game did better in the latter half, but could have really used some variation on maps and objectives.

Yeah. What was up with torches only being used in a handful of maps? I bought a bunch thinking they'd be necessary & I used them maybe twice.

Apollo's Sun

Apr 25, 2018
Thing is, the cavalry advantage is drastically more pronounced in Three Houses. Far more so than any other game in the series and that's really what I'm getting at. There's no reason not to just make everyone a rider or flyer since you can dismount to avoid being hindered by terrain. Map design and unit balance in older games made it harder to abuse their movement advantage.

Pegasus knights were made of glass and were awful at fighting anything aside from casters and wyverns were more of a late game unit for the longest time. The weapon triangle also helped to balance cavalry and flyers.

FE11 and FE12's high movement mounted units. Paladins and Dracoknight the two best classes outside of staff bots like bishops in FE11 and 12 have 10 movement. FE4 is Fire Emblem Horses where horse dominant far more than any other unit in the game. FE9 heavily favours mounted units to the point where the best units in the game are mounted. The best units in FE6 outside of Rutger and Dieck earlygame are mounted. Same for FE7 with Marcus. FE8 gives you Seth from the get go who never falls off. FE9 Titania, Oscar, Jill and Marcia say hi.
FE3 and FE5 are the only games where mounted and non moun Sted units are equal in a sense.

Except for that part where Pegasus knights are one of the better classes both utilty and combat wise due to no terrain penalties and high movement, in a series that favors high movement. Combat wise they benefit the most from their high movement and having a weapon type that gives them an enemy phase which is important in most FE games since their enemy phase based. You get your first Wyvern rider in most fe games around mid game and still end up being better than majority of your foot units. The weapon triangle didn't really balance them. Flyers and Cavalry dominate every FE game outside FE3 and FE5's indoor maps.

Cavalry in Three Houses aren't as good as they are in FE9, The gba games and FE4 because of the terrain effects that impede their movement.

Last edited:

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't add a rebuilding mechanic to the monastery post time-skip. They should have, like rebuilding the cathedral, the stables, dining hall, etc. Maybe with a few new buildings to differentiate it. I imagine it'd look like the X-COM base building, in a way, with different buildings granting access to new weapons and the lot.

It would have cut down a lot of the sameness post time jump. While the pre jump game was all about recruiting and getting to know the characters.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'd want to plow it into the storytelling. Anime cutscenes are nice, but what I really love is the profusion of voiced dialogue , and the density of it. Instead of just getting a couple lines when you talk to someone inthe monastery/camp, make it a long- ptoentially branching lore and character reveal. Double the number of support conversations. Double the number of combat barks so you almost never hear the same one twice, and have them be reflective of a character's personality. Stuff like that.

I'd much rather have that than better graphics.

Oh, and devote as many resources as necessary to make a functioning difficulty slider.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I feel like the new direction is interesting, just very underdeveloped. The monastery starts out cool but quickly becomes a chore because there's just not a whole lot to do there, if there were more options and there were visible differences month to month etc, it could be really cool. The downtime stuff is neat but quickly overstays its welcome because there's just no variety. Especially aggravating when you have to do multiple endings

Also there's a lot of reusing of maps etc, and of course the graphics are complete ass. Character designs are nice though

I'm willing to try another 3H style game as long as they can improve on it substantially, it's a neat concept

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Guys, I forgot about one thing I would like with better budget:

- NON-ATROCIOUS S SUPPORT CGI

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear that dating is not at all important in Three Houses. Calm down. If there wasn't a choice at the end of the game, I wouldn't have noticed any romancing at all.
Tbh theres no more romancing than there was in awakening with it being at the midpoint of the game instead of the end. It wasent like it was a dating sim or anything

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Too many scenes are not animated. A certain event in Remire Village for example, you would think there would at least show short glimpse of what was happening, but nope, all you see is your characters talking and a couple of VN style portraits. Even though this is a console Fire Emblem with bigger budget than 3DS ones, you can tell it is still heavily constrained by it. Also transition from cutscene to gameplay is really poorly done. Start a chapter, you get some cutscene, then the map immediately starts, almost always. No proper transition that shows how your characters and enemies got to the map and such.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, the cavalry advantage is drastically more pronounced in Three Houses. Far more so than any other game in the series and that's really what I'm getting at. There's no reason not to just make everyone a rider or flyer since you can dismount to avoid being hindered by terrain. Map design and unit balance in older games made it harder to abuse their movement advantage.

Yeah I REALLY don't know bout that one. None of these games's cavaliers come even close to the level of FE4 and FE9's level of cavaliers, let alone the gba games. Character wise, there isn't a single cavalier unit in 3H's that even remotely comes close to the GOATs like Sigurd, Seliph post promotion, Marcus, Titania, and Seth and just how great cavaliers are in their respective games as a whole.

You can have a legit argument for things like fliers in 3H, but they're busted in every FE game and 3H's specifically aren't "far more" busted than in other games in the series.

You're right about the "no reason not to just make everyone a rider or flier though" but hey, if that was an option in every FE game i'd take it in a heartbeat.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't care about the graphics or performance. I think the art direction for the battle maps could and should be improved, but visuals are otherwise very low on my list of priorities.

Assuming that our hypothetical second FE on Switch follows the basic structure of Three Houses, I would like any extra resources dedicated to increasing the number of story maps and designing a strategy layer that ensures the time spent at the HQ (if it's going to be such a massive part of the game again) feels intrinsically interesting and not just a way to fill some meters.

zelig

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Tbh theres no more romancing than there was in awakening with it being at the midpoint of the game instead of the end. It wasent like it was a dating sim or anything

Thats what I said :p Except Id say Awakening had much more focus on dating due to the inherent theme. Three Houses only has A-rank conversations that mostly xome down to "lets support each other in the future", with only some being clearly romantic. Tbh whenever I see some outrage a la "we demand more lgbt in fe!", I wonder if I played the same game these people did. If it was a Fates-like FE I could understand the sentiment, but 3H? Dating is a distant afterthought in this game. And thats good.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
I imagine there will be other FE games regardless. 3DS is phasing out and Nintendo is focused on Switch, plus they are cooking up extra stuff for TH with the expansion pass.

For another whole game though, I would hope they keep up the same great conversational writing. It amazes me that they take time to have great dialogue between each character and also the player character. I only played Fates before so I'm unfamiliar with the previous games writing.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see Advance Wars: Three Houses. Works perfectly with differing countries, etc.

Maybe two or four, idk. But more or less the same formula as TH but with Advance Wars characters. Could be all war themed, so you play one campaign to see what one side says and then play the other to get more perspective

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Havent played 3H yet but they should always be working to improve the gameplay/map design/difficulty first and foremost imo.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just more fleshed out supports tbh, Three Houses was kind of a let down in this regard. Really liked the C and B ones, but the A and S was just underwhelming in a lot of cases. More time to integrate it into the story and make them more varied would be nice

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Give me a single, long, in depth storyline that wraps itself up completely with a large cast of characters that are recruitable in and out of combat.

Exploration around towns/world maps similar to the original Shining Force games, and voila.

Edit: And a high priority on map design. The game did better in the latter half, but could have really used some variation on maps and objectives.
All this would make for the perfect Fire Emblem game, so I'm with ya.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I think a Fire Emblem that isn't the "Medieval Fantasy Europe" setting would be cool.
Maybe even get some basic black powder weaponry

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I think it's safe to say that regardless of budget, the technical aspect can only improve. Better textures, maybe a few more cutscenes

The one thing I'd love for them to improve on is:

1.- Fine tuning some classes and developing master classes (in case they mantain the 3H form of upgrading). Most master classes are just a swap of mobility over utility and that's kinda lame considering there's so much more you could do with them. Obviously having the ability to make your entire roster a cavalry/flyer is neat even if you sacrifice certain stat growths or perks, but it's just so dumb that there isn't any real logical sense of progress to many of them.

It's like the ACTUALLY acknowledged the fact that mobility just beats everything in FE, as it's always been.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More verticality. Ledges were great in Radiant Dawn and I'd love to see the idea expanded upon.

Bring back Tellius style BEXP. The games nowadays have far more of an emphasis on characters that there needs to be a way to keep them all reasonably leveled without resorting to the god awful auxiliary battles. This could also help with making maps more engaging (take a look at chapter 11 in PoR for a good example).

Focus more on the maps and difficulty over stuff like the monastery. The monastery was neat at first, but it just drags the pace of the game to a crawl, even if all you're doing is spamming meals for support bonuses.

Can we maybe get a game where you might actually want to use a foot locked unit over a mounted unit?

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear that dating is not at all important in Three Houses. Calm down. If there wasn't a choice at the end of the game, I wouldn't have noticed any romancing at all.
"It's okay that the gay representation is bad because they weren't trying! I don't care and neither should you!"

I want better representation in media; even when romance isn't the focus of the media. Especially when I'm' playing as a blank slate self insert. So tired of straight people's stories tbh.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
With more of a budget, i'm cutting out the school/social aspect and using my extra money to make more battles for the main campaign. Then i'd add more cut-scenes. That's it, that's my perfect FE game.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Focus on there not being as much map reuse.
Then focus on having more variety in the ingame cutscenes. The scenes are saved by the dialogue, the rest isn't actually spectacular if you look at them closely.

Also: Can the monastery or do make sure it isn't like it was post timeskip.

Germangerbil

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I want more hidden or secret characters and definitly a more restricted class system. I know a lot of people love being able to build characters just the way they want them but to me it just leads to a lot of samey characters and less uniqueness. If every character had like two or three paths to develop along that would be vastly preferable to me. I think fire emblem would benefit from creating systems that force the player to work with what they have instead of what they want, without any chance of cheesing the results. Like randomizing who joins your house to an extent for example. The graphics aren´t great but servicable to me.