Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IT's not like it's going to just stop making money
I mean the bulk of sales for any entertainment product is always front loaded in the first few weeks. That's like saying Waterworld inching across the line to be three cents profitable 10 years out was some sort of accomplishment and not a huge financial disaster.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem isnt even launching a unfinished product at full price, is the fact that they knew it was going to hit the ground catching fire while they assured everyone the game was fine. I think there are still promotional material in their store pages of things that do not exist in the game.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Inb4 headline "EA disappointed in sales" comes out

sad...but so, so true. there are so many developers that wish their games could reach millions sold, while EA's and Activisions are disappointed simply because it didn't make them - as sterling says it - ALL THE MONEY.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the game has a laundry list of issues but anyone talking shit about microtransactions is clearly full of it. It's a complete non issue, partly because there is just nothing to buy.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a shitty thing to say.

The game is broken, but it's a lot of fun, and a lot of people worked hard on it. Someone in the industry such as yourself should understand this.

What company do you work for?

Bioware was incredibly dishonest with this game. Up until the point of launch they were even brushing complaints aside from the game full launch on Origin Premier, saying that the bugs were all going to be fixed on the "day one patch", that broke the game even further in some areas. You cant hide all the hundreds of issues on your game, then wait for Reddit to list all the broken shit and ONLY THEN claim "Yeah, its a bit rough, but you know, Transparency, we will fix it sometime later" and then have all criticism brushed aside because "Good guy developers".

There was some malicious intent from Bioware (Not the devs, mind you, but the higher ups for sure) in releasing the game at the state that it was. They even wanted to "mimic" Destiny famously hellish launch, but that game was notoriously in development hell and ton of turmoil.

Sure, you cannt say "They dont deserve once cent" because there are guys and girls busting their asses off trying to salvage this mess, but if the game ends up being sucessfull even with this shit, the only message the whole industry will receive is "Jesus we can launch our game as broken as Anthem and still make a fuckton of money".

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Do you defend all unfinished and broken products based on this dubious logic, or just video games? I'm curious.

Guess advocating for consumer rights or at least developers ethics goes out of the window the moment it is from a favoured creator/creators.

I understand that people don't the devs to lose their jobs and honestly, that kind of empathy is admirable and should be in all of us. However, at the same time, most of us are against devs releasing incomplete, broken messes of games (I say most because by gawd, I have seen some hardcore corporate shills here) in the name of "live service". The only choice, as a consumer, is either to buy the product or not. Criticism of unethical business practices on forums do not hold any real world value unless there are monetary consequences that forces change for the better.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The problem isnt even launching a unfinished product at full price, is the fact that they knew it was going to hit the ground catching fire while they assured everyone the game was fine. I think there are still promotional material in their store pages of things that do not exist in the game.
This

There was so much deceit around the sales of this game. Right up to the "seperate demo build" debacle

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Now now with the name calling. Always amuses me when people are so concerned how others spend their money.

Are you a person that would say voting with your wallet is the only way to oppose anti consumer behavior? Because you cant have both at the same time. You cant cry about my complaining about people perpetuating a cycle and then say that's the only way.

The amount of apologists for corporate sleeze in a race to the bottom is too damn high

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Yeah I kinda feel like I paid full price for half a game. But I'll just consider it an investment in the future I guess, maybe a year from now I'll come back and be pleasantly surprised.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Welp.

Another win under the belt for the AAA last minute reboot minimal viable product strategy. Get ready for the next one lol

Descendant

Fallen Guardian
Nov 2, 2017
I've personally enjoyed my time with Anthem, and it definitely deserves the $60 I paid for it. Me and my group are really enjoying it. And if I ever get to a point where I feel there's nothing left for me to do...I'll just play something else in the meantime and come back to it later.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Are you a person that would say voting with your wallet is the only way to oppose anti consumer behavior? Because you cant have both at the same time. You cant cry about my complaining about people perpetuating a cycle and then say that's the only way.

The amount of apologists for corporate sleeze in a race to the bottom is too damn high

I don't. I just...I don't really care how people spend their money on their entertainment. Because I don't believe supporting anthem means Santa Monica will somehow release a sub par God of War. I don't think the slope is that slippery.

Then again I scream anti consumer because people buy games like anthem. You surely hit the usual nonsense arguments too.. Wallet vote... Anti consumer.... Corporate shill. Bingo!!

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
These types of titles make so much sense to buy digitally. They're games you'll always be popping in and out of, having to swap out the discs is just a pain. (Lazy, I know, but it definitely affects how often I play a game like that.)

Additionally they can't be played online and the value of the disks for them decrease like mad in a year.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't. I just...I don't really care how people spend their money on their entertainment. Because I don't believe supporting anthem means Santa Monica will somehow release a sub par God of War. I don't think the slope is that slippery.

Then again I scream anti consumer because people buy games like anthem. You surely hit the usual nonsense arguments too.. Wallet vote... Anti consumer.... Corporate shill. Bingo!!
How do you think we got anthem, people buying these types of games.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
I just looked on Xbox, in UK region it's had less players than "Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2" this week.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
And yet in a month or two EA will comment on being disappointed in the sales of Anthem, like clockwork

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean the bulk of sales for any entertainment product is always front loaded in the first few weeks. That's like saying Waterworld inching across the line to be three cents profitable 10 years out was some sort of accomplishment and not a huge financial disaster.
This is why devs have been implementing ways to earn revenue post launch. That includes Anthem:
KteYCiqRwH6HYzxuNpdKR3-970-80.jpg

Where have you been?