Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's true but my point was that no other screenshot on the website featuring characters at the same distance has models that are higher quality than what we've seen in standard gameplay

It makes no sense that they'd freeze the game to pose those screenshots and not use these hypothetical higher quality models.

Maybe it just wasn't ready yet ? Or maybe they already took the screenshots a long time before and just queue-ed the blog posts with the screenshots. Like, there's a wide range of explanations but it's very realistic to think that whatever photo mode this game will have will enhance the visuals since it's a thing Nintendo usually do.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
It's hard to be excited about the possibility of Geno when him being in Smash probably wouldn't lead to him being used in any other games. Like how Marth and Roy revived interest in Fire Emblem, Ness and Lucas doing the same for Mother, or, more recently, the assumption that K. Rool will be in games again. Geno will still be owned by Square, but not Final Fantasy-y enough to actually be in any of their games.

Smash is a kingmaker, but unless he's literally been bought by Nintendo/Sakurai, I can't see him getting anything out of this. Not to mention, having Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Geno, but no Mallow is creating a gap in a team that wasn't there to begin with. It'll feel lopsided at least to me. I would rather the ballot be used in conjunction with context of the games themselves, so you take popular picks who could use another chance in the limelight but actually feel like they were passed over. Being a fan favorite shouldn't be the only criteria, imo.

I'd rather the effort go toward Pig Ganon, Dixie, Incineroar, or Elma (all of the above, plz) to be cemented as Big Names, personally. And if it had to be "Nintendo character no longer owned by Nintendo that's never going to be on a Nintendo console again", Banjo & Kazooie seems like the logical pick.

But eh, if people want him that badly, I'll be happy for them. Don't yell at me for not wanting Geno, it's nothing personal.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Would be happy with Geno and would frankly be overjoyed with Sora. Never thought that would happen, but that tweet is likely nothing; probably someone screwing with fans out of the ridiculousness that people on Twitter could ask a question like that and expect an honest answer. It was deleted likely to avoid backlash.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Box theory us fake because a smash direct would open and end on a unique character
Ken, Incineroar, and Geno can indeed be the last three newcomers with box theory still right. Geno's true form is a sparkle and what's that I see smack dab in the center of the Ultimate box?!??

Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I meant like main stream hype. Like even non smash/nintendo fans did reaction videos to cloud, and people thought sakurai would want to keep topping that.
Sora definitely reaches more than Geno. The hilarious part is both characters you have to go through Square. So what does Sakurai use to decide who he wants from the two?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
That's the complete opposite. Them putting in Geno would be them putting in characters just for hype from the dedicated fans. Dragon Quest would be a better argument for that because it would be put in for it's importance to gaming rather than hype.
Dragon Quest is huge in Japan. The hype from Japan alone would eclipse anything Geno would get.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like I should like Incineroar so much more than I do, the concept is great but I think the design drops the ball.
A case where the moveset could really make the character for me, though in the back of my mind I'll always gripe that it was Rowlet/Decidueye's time dammit

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to be excited about the possibility of Geno when him being in Smash probably wouldn't lead to him being used in any other games. Like how Marth and Roy revived interest in Fire Emblem, Ness and Lucas doing the same for Mother, or, more recently, the assumption that K. Rool will be in games again. Geno will still be owned by Square, but not Final Fantasy-y enough to actually be in any of their games.

Smash is a kingmaker, but unless he's literally been bought by Nintendo/Sakurai, I can't see him getting anything out of this. Not to mention, having Mario, Bowser, Peach, and Geno, but no Mallow is creating a gap in a team that wasn't there to begin with. It'll feel lopsided at least to me. I would rather the ballot be used in conjunction with context of the games themselves, so you take popular picks who could use another chance in the limelight but actually feel like they were passed over. Being a fan favorite shouldn't be the only criteria, imo.

I'd rather the effort go toward Pig Ganon, Dixie, Incineroar, or Elma (all of the above, plz) to be cemented as Big Names, personally. And if it had to be "Nintendo character no longer owned by Nintendo that's never going to be on a Nintendo console again", Banjo & Kazooie seems like the logical pick.

But eh, if people want him that badly, I'll be happy for them. Don't yell at me for not wanting Geno, it's nothing personal.
Maybe square makes a deal and lets geno be in like mario and luigi 6.

Nov 17, 2017
I agree. I don't see Elma's existence in Smash explicitly tied to XCX getting a Switch port. XCX was one of Nintendo's biggest Wii U exclusives, and while it isn't Splatoon, it's still one of the platform's most notable original titles and Elma is the most prominent of the player characters (aside from the create-a-character Cross). She has as much clout to be on the roster as Shulk, if that's even any real thing to measure a character's chances on.
I also think that other big Wii U games have been ruled out, are part of long standing IPs with several reps or already are repped in the game leaving XCX sticking out like a sore thumb.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest is huge in Japan. The hype from Japan alone would eclipse anything Geno would get.
While that's true Dragon Quest would be put in to it's importance rather than being a huge get for Japan. If they wanted to excite their Japanese base for Smash then it seems putting in a Kirby character would be more effective.

Nov 17, 2017
But I actually didn't say it was related.
I mentioned both as 2 different things I want.
And I'd like to get at least one.

But I had to link both I'd say if Nintendo or Monolith didn't try to port it it would mean they don't care enough about it and it wasn't that bi of deal even on Wii U (for either of them or both), which would be a big mistake and wrong on so many levels.

That's why I think at least one has to happen, because that's the least X deserves.
Oh my bad, I misread you.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
both, get geno for the main game and make deep-pocketed disney fan bank for the 10 bucks sora DLC
win-win
That's what I would do. Sora makes them more money as DLC compared to Geno being DLC. Plus if there's no more stages then I want Geno in the base game. Sora NEEDS a stage so I'll pay $10 for him, a stage and 2 songs.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Toon Link was a thing, despite being semi-clone. So, it's only been about 10 years since last Zelda newcomer. Why do so many only count Melee? Because TLink is semi-clone?

FleenerW

Oct 25, 2017
"The company that is upset and having internal discussions about the leak isn't Nintendo."

Mystery Company: "Okay guys which one of you leaked an image of this game we're not even working on"

Does that actually make sense to anyone?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, there's way too much about that Geno image to take seriously, because it ticks all of the fake leak boxes:

• Super zoomed in so you can't make out anything other than the character.
  • Also super zoomed in to the point you can't actually tell what action the character is doing.
  • Sort of blurry, nondescript background.
  • No HUD or other UI elements, even if this were a shot taken while in a camera mode.
Did I miss anything?

At least the Ken image was a full picture of Ken with other characters on a stage and visible UI elements.

But nope, here's this picture of Geno I took off-screen really up close with my Nokia flip phone from 2007.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vergeben said Minecraft will have some kind of representation. If there's no more new stages then it's probably an Assist Trophy.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i support the guy who said that geno is actually already on the box since he's the star in the middle of the cover
that's genius

Honestly, there's way too much about that Geno image to take seriously, because it ticks all of the fake leak boxes:

• Super zoomed in so you can't make out anything other than the character.
  • Also super zoomed in to the point you can't actually tell what action the character is doing.
  • Sort of blurry, nondescript background.
  • No HUD or other UI elements, even if this were a shot taken while in a camera mode.
Did I miss anything?

At least the Ken image was a full picture of Ken with other characters on a stage and visible UI elements.

But nope, here's this picture of Geno I took off-screen really up close with my Nokia flip phone from 2007.

to be fair, if i showed you this picture, would you have believed it fake as well ? it ticks all your boxes

ltb1f5qezmiplyfoukjj.jpg

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Toon Link was a thing, despite being semi-clone. So, it's only been about 10 years since last Zelda newcomer. Why do so many only count Melee? Because TLink is semi-clone?
That's true. Honestly though I had just considered them the same character all this time; if young link didn't show up in the Everyone is Here trailer I wouldn't have batted an eye

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Ken, Incineroar, and Geno can indeed be the last three newcomers with box theory still right. Geno's true form is a sparkle and what's that I see smack dab in the center of the Ultimate box?!??

Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate.jpg
But the Box Theory splits each character in groups of 9's between each side. If the theory pans out, every single character will have portraits on either the left or right side of the box.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Come on guys. I get Sakurai claimed Geno is popular but he's seriously not important enough to subtly be a fucking focal point on the boxart. Like you guys are seriously deifying this character way too much.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
i support the guy who said that geno is actually already on the box since he's the star in the middle of the cover
that's genius

to be fair, if i showed you this picture, would you have believed it fake as well ? it ticks all your boxes

ltb1f5qezmiplyfoukjj.jpg
While I get your point, a picture of a Windows file directory and a picture of a supposed character in-game are two different things. :P

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The last new comer won't be a 3rd party since sakurai likes to talk about them

Its usually some underwhelming not as popular 1st party character

So i see elma as the final character

Now to a mainstream audience elma is more underwhelmingthen inceneroar

I'm thinking of their perspective not ours

Us we all like elma more then inceneroar

But to the mainstream
Pokemon > who

Toon link was just young link in a diffrent artstyle

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Because Toon Link has less differences from Young Link than Falco does between Melee and Brawl. He's just Young Link with a new name and design and some balance tweaks that Brawl gave all returning Melee clones.

Status
Not open for further replies.