• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Incineroar still have a shot at making in Smash Bros as playable character?

• Yes

Votes: 375 55.7%
  • No

Votes: 298 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
300px-Game_%26_Watch.png

300px-NES-ROB.png

maxresdefault.jpg

And let's not forget turning a character who's entire action is driving a car and shooting a gun one time into Kamen Rider. I think he can make it work.

I don't know why people bring up Mr. Game & Watch as some sort of gotcha against this notion. Game & Watch came out at a time when it wasn't possible for them to animate, so they had to overcompensate for it by bringing distinct keyframes to the characters. If any character in the entire Smash roster exemplifies "character", Mr. Game & Watch is probably the most apt character to bring up. Every single frame is expressive and oozes character, and this is especially emphasized in Ultimate.

Wii Fit Trainer... you literally posted a screenshot that shows real character. She's a health junkie who's trying to encourage players to get fit. It's not much, but it's character.

Captain Falcon wasn't hard to figure out either. He actually appeared in comics/instruction manuals and was depicted having a bold fighting spirit.

ROB, I'll give you that, but in his defense they basically built an entire story mode to justify his inclusion alone, and embodies/was advertised as a "robot buddy" to play games with.

Steve still lacks even a fraction of any of these characters, because he's nothing but a vector for the player to build, and there's nothing distinctive about his presence.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where did you get memes from?
Its not that he wouldn't work as a character. Its just opening the floodgates of "because popular" and the most significant entry in what starts to turn Smash into MAMEBROS
Also thank you for ignoring the rest of my post.
Hes a Final Fantasy (and Square RPG) representative, not just FF7. I thought this much was always clear.
Which is why he only has stuff from FFVII.

Essentially. You can't play Final Fantasy VII without having some sort of attachment to Cloud. Nor Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, or Snake in their own games.

You can play Minecraft for thousands of hours and not have an attachment towards Steve because that's not what his game is about. That's why Steve would be so lame.

Let's add a boring,ugly avatar with no personality where character wasn't even a focus just because their game sold 100 million copies would be exceptionally lame for a game meant to be celebrating icons
Writing off Minecrafts success as "it just sold well" is massively underplaying it's influence.

Also R.O.B. Like it or not the Minecraft dude would be a shit ton more recognizable and more regarding as an icon then any other Smash Ultimate newcomer, only the Inklings could get even a fraction as close.

"Ugly" is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I don't think he's the most attractive game character ever but if I wanted characters out because I hated how they look you'd hear me complaining about Simon a lot more.

Also how many people seriously gave a shit about the dude from the Game & Watch games before Melee? Is that why the remake games replaced him with Mario characters? How many people fell in love with the Wii Fit Trainer and demanded she be in Smash?

Smashwidget

Jan 3, 2018
I'm so glad the October 16th Smash Direct leaked. So many dream coming true looool

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/432575843
Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby)
Incineroar (Pokemon) -
Skull Kid (Legend of Zelda)
Elma (Xenoblade)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Geno (Mario RPG)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic) **NOT AN ECHO FIGHTER**
Banjo Kazooie (Banjo Kazooie)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts) -
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Klaus (Mother)

I want it all

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Incineroar (Pokemon) -
Elma (Xenoblade)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Geno (Mario RPG)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts) -
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Klaus (Mother)

I want it all
I think I'd be, I dunno, 30% upset if Shadow made it in as a unique fighter.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people bring up Mr. Game & Watch as some sort of gotcha against this notion. Game & Watch came out at a time when it wasn't possible for them to animate, so they had to overcompensate for it by bringing distinct keyframes to the characters. If any character in the entire Smash roster exemplifies "character", Mr. Game & Watch is probably the most apt character to bring up. Every single frame is expressive and oozes character, and this is especially emphasized in Ultimate.

Wii Fit Trainer... you literally posted a screenshot that shows real character. She's a health junkie who's trying to encourage players to get fit. It's not much, but it's character.

Captain Falcon wasn't hard to figure out either. He actually appeared in comics/instruction manuals and was depicted having a bold fighting spirit.

ROB, I'll give you that, but in his defense they basically built an entire story mode to justify his inclusion alone, and embodies/was advertised as a "robot buddy" to play games with.

Steve still lacks even a fraction of any of these characters, because he's nothing but a vector for the player to build, and there's nothing distinctive about his presence.

Game and Watch is a bunch of random games. No one would have asked for it to be represented as a playable character. Sakurai, having far more talent then you guys seem to give him credit for, decided to combine them and thus make a character.

Same with WFT. No one asked for her and yet he made a character with what he had a created something great from it.

Captain Falcon appeared for 5 pages, acts a little cocky,and shot a guy. Maybe the transition from that to "Kamen Rider with flaming punches" is obvious to you but it sure isn't to me.

Pause

Feb 22, 2018
There's no reason that Steve can't have full movement. Plenty of Minecraft media has shown Minecraft characters bending their knees, etc.
Steve is a set of blocks. His limbs have never been depicted bending (you actually hunch over to crouch in Minecraft) in any normal capacity beyond how awful it looked in Story Mode. It is also not accurate to his "character" in Minecraft, and the accuracy to the home game is a big deal, especially with 3rd party characters. The amount of places you can have him move and bend is extraordinarily low, restricted to his neck, the base of this arms, and his pelvis. This works extremely poorly with his proportions.

He also has the entire other list of things I mentioned that make him a massive eyesore compared to everyone else.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Incineroar (Pokemon) -
Elma (Xenoblade)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Geno (Mario RPG)
Sora (Kingdom Hearts) -
Saki (Sin & Punishment)
Klaus (Mother)

I want it all
Man that roster would be beautiful but I already feel optimistic hoping for 4 more unique fighters and 11 already sounds like a roster for a Smash game itself

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Hopping off of the Steve Train for a bit:

Has anyone noticed this bit in the AT section of the site?

FKIzbu6.png

None of the other AT's specify which series they're from. Just Zero.

Seeing as Zero is a pretty common name for video game characters, I wonder if there will be another Zero as an AT.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FKIzbu6.png

Seeing as Zero is a pretty common name for video game characters, I wonder if there will be another Zero as an AT.

There's a Metroid enemy called Zero I believe.

Edit:yep
latest

It got a trophy in a previous Smash so maybe it's classifying that.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
Anyone else gone back to Animal Corossing: Pocket Camp after Isabelle's announcement?
Nah, I got bored of it within a few hours. Not my thing. I've been tempted to go back into New Leaf and work towards getting a bunch of the amiibo/RV items I never got, but since you'll almost definitely be starting from scratch in AC Switch I'm not sure it's worth it

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

FKIzbu6.png

They did the same thing in Smash 4's Zero Trophy because there was a metroid enemy also called Zero.

iirc the Japanese site doesnt have the signifier at all

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I do dislike the argument that Steve should get in because Minecraft is popular/successful. Like, I didn't think Angry Bird were any more worthy when that shit was lighting the world on fire.

And no, I don't think he'd be an interesting character just because Sakurai and his team are incredibly gifted. Even that aside, he's just a character I don't want to look at. His design is so bleh it hurts.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I wanna say the blog is late nearly as often as it's on time. Music updates are the only real exception.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take Dixie as a tweaked Diddy Echo over no Dixie at all, gladly, but Dixie as an echo while freaking Shadow The Hedgehog got full newcomer status....would annoy

I mean obvious fake leak is obvious but still lol. I'm definitely not on team only-2-more-characters but suggesting there are SEVEN*TEEN* more fighters to be announced before launch, lol

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Game and Watch is a bunch of random games. No one would have asked for it to be represented as a playable character. Sakurai, having far more talent then you guys seem to give him credit for, decided to combine them and thus make a character.

Same with WFT. No one asked for her and yet he made a character with what he had a created something great from it.

Captain Falcon appeared for 5 pages, acts a little cocky,and shot a guy. Maybe the transition from that to "Kamen Rider with flaming punches" is obvious to you but it sure isn't to me.
I literally said on the last page that you can make a playable fighter out of anything. That's not what I'm arguing here.

What I'm arguing is that characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch are appealing choices because despite the fact that they aren't franchises you'd think fit into the parameters of being a fighting game, they are characters that have their actions and movesets defined by actual personality and character that is innate to their own games. Mr. Game & Watch embodies an insane level of charisma that come from it's charming and fun minigames that feature exaggerated poses and expressions. That kind of stuff is perfect for a fighting game because keyposes are the most important element a character can have to emphasize their attacks. Wii Fit Trainer is a character that tries to encourage players to be more proactive, and attempts to be encouraging in the process. That makes her a fun character to play with, because it feels like there's something extra to her presence when she's among all these other colorful characters.

That's what makes those characters so fun, not just their unique move sets, but because despite the fact that these are characters people don't necessarily think to add, they are characters that embody personality through their individual in-game actions. Sakurai has already gone into detail about how this is important to character inclusions in Smash - one of the most important things about a Smash character is that they need to evoke a semblance of personality and character, predominantly through their actions.

And with Steve there's just no frame of reference for that. You can make a "fun" moveset for this character, but people don't really play these things just for "fun movesets". If we start ignoring the importance of character, what we're left with is this.

Status
Not open for further replies.